Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I can't agree with that, Carrick was worse for me this game, our worst player, actually, with Rooney turning it around in the second half. Schneiderlin ended up having a good game, imo. Michael was also crap in the Saints game, but in that game Schneiderlin was also shit.

He had a really poor season so far, only good game I can remember from him is the Liverpool game. He usually is very consistent, I don't know what happened to him this season.
Yeah Schneiderlin ended up having a good game thanks to his second half, but Carrick was also much better in the second half as - as a team - we were pressing them harder to win the ball back when we lost it, and moving the ball a lot quicker in possession.

I can't see how anyone can look at that first half and say that Schneiderlin was better then Carrick though - as he was the main reason our play was really slow and tumescent at times. He'd pick the ball up at the base in midfield in a shit load of space, spend way too long on the ball and then do nothing with it. He refused to dribble into the space afforded in front of him (not that Carrick does dribble into space either, but his passing is so much quicker and decisive that he doesn't have too) and kept dallying on the ball for way too long.

Yesterday was actually the first time when these two played together that there was a bit more space between them - with Carrick trying to push further up the park, but Schniederlin's range and tempo of passing wasn't good enough to dictate the play. It's why he's so much better with Herrera or Schweinsteiger... because he can pass the ball short to them and they can carry it away from him. (where as Carrick won't carry it, he'll just play a another pass).

As I said, second half he was much better, but first half he was very poor, along with Carrick.

I have no idea why he has rating of only 5.9 on here. He's been very good for most of the season when played. I can only assume people are getting giddy about our new toys in Bastian and Morgan, both of whom seem to be getting over the top praise.
I can see why Bastian is ahead, because he does more flashy things and his presence has impacted games somewhat when he's come off the bench... but agree completely on Schneiderlin. I mean just look at their threads after yesterdays game... As per my reply to the post above, I can't see how anyone could watch that first half and say Morgan had a better half of football then Michael.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I have no idea why he has rating of only 5.9 on here. He's been very good for most of the season when played. I can only assume people are getting giddy about our new toys in Bastian and Morgan, both of whom seem to be getting over the top praise.
People are definitely goig over the top with Morgan, if he played like this for City or Chelsea people would be calling him average or decent, nothing more. He didn't really have one standout game so far, Carrick had actually few performances that were better than anything Schneiderling has provided so far.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
I must be missing something in games because I just dont see this "Carrick was awful" thing thats doing the rounds.

Arsenal 3:0 Man Utd

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Is Carrick meant to be shielding our back 4? He might as well not even be on the pitch, Arsenal are continuously getting free run at our defense.

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
This is like Ferdinands final season, just an absolute liability.

Minimalist

Michael Carrick isn't good for these games. High energy team? Carrick's fecked.

ivaldo

Can't believe the defense is getting pretty much ALL the criticism, they've been shit but Carrick has been beyond terrible, positionally awful and so, so easy to by pass.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
He's been left, entirely by himself, to deal with an Arsenal (ARSENAL!) midfield, as Schweinsteiger has decided he's playing every position on the pitch apart from central midfield.

And then he's been crap on top of that.

Bojan11

Cazorla has been helping Bellerin. Carrick has literally not helped Darmian.

Rockets Redglare

Can't believe the defense is getting pretty much ALL the criticism, they've been shit but Carrick has been beyond terrible, positionally awful and so, so easy to by pass.
He's done as a top player I think. Just hasn't looked the same this year, which is understandable with his age.

m1y2

I tend to say this for years, both him and Sweinsteigger are great players individually but both struggle to play against high pressing opposition let alone playing together and with someone like Rooney... Off the ball play is fecking disastrous, they're not available for a pass neither they catch opposition players when they counter, add Rooney to that and we are really laughable in that midfield.. they've been absolutely thrashed by Coquelin and Cazorla..

This goes to Van Gaal, he decided to play this set-up even all the caf knew it doesn't work..

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Is he even playing?

Devil may care

I don't think he has the legs anymore for this 2 man double pivot system, he needs that full protection of a proper midfield three like we played last season. Obviously he's not helped by Schweini going walkabout and Rooney doing nothing, but still, I think he's struggled with this switch in system more than most.

Minimalist

Far too slow to be a starting XI player for us. He's not the only one who's guilty of this (not Mata before you think that) but it's not going to work going forward with a player like that in the middle.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Carrick, Bastian, Fellaini with Rooney and Mata on the flanks is possibly the slowest midfield I've ever seen in football. Its a shame we don't have a 35 year old Gaz and Irwin on rear flanks, Bruce and Blanc as CB and Berbatov upfront

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Horrendous. Looked completely off pace and couldn't place a ball to save his life.
Like against Southampton, his passing and decision making are pretty bad at the moment.

Minimalist

We've known about this since the CL final against Barcelona in 2009. If he faces a highly energetic midfield, he's absolutely useless.

He's a class player if you give him time and space but that's a luxury in most big games. Needs to move on or possibly retire.

Skills

Snitch
I prefer him coming on in the 60th minute. He is 34 now and has been extremely overworked since 2011.

Devil may care

The biggest victim of the switch to the double pivot IMO and even his passing was poor today.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
He, like Rooney, played not well enough to start games so far. He needs to be replaced properly in summer

Dion

Worst I've ever seen him for United, 1/10 stuff. Just did nothing of any relevance to the game.

WyoManU

Really looked out of sorts today. Too slow with his movement and his thinking. Gonna need replacing this summer.

thejtrain

Worst I've seen him play. Worse than he was in the Moyes era. Can't get a pass right to save his life.

Raw

He just hasn't been himself at all this season. Perhaps it's the lack of a 3 man midfield that's hurting him, because he was excellent last season.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I can't remember Carrick playing well since before Fergie left, if I'm honest. He was important last year because we had no one else, but he was average at best when he played. Had a couple of decent games against Spurs and Liverpool but that was it.

He is also 34 so can't be playing against Arsenal unless he's not the holding player. Not sure what Van Gaal was expecting there.

Bwuk

Don't think he suits this double pivot 4-2-3-1.

He'd look better as the #6 in front of the CB's in a 433.

Carrick
Herrera - Schneiderlin​

Problem is Bastian would also look at his best in that position.

Ekeke

This is why it was correct to go for a player like Schneiderlin last summer. He hasnt hit the ground running but I'm confident he'll come good and we'd be in huge trouble till christmas if we had to rely on Carrick every week

ivaldo

This is why it was correct to go for a player like Schneiderlin last summer. He hasnt hit the ground running but I'm confident he'll come good and we'd be in huge trouble till christmas if we had to rely on Carrick every week
Even when he isn't being particularly effective in possession (probably people's biggest gripe with him) he reads the game and tackles well. Perhaps most importantly he has the mobility to somewhat counteract teams who look to break with pace, there's no way we would've been 3 down inside 20 minutes if Schneiderlin started in Carrick's place yesterday.

It's fine to place Carrick as the defensive midfielder in games where we struggle to break teams down but he shouldn't be an option there against the top sides.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Carrick, Bastian, Fellaini with Rooney and Mata on the flanks is possibly the slowest midfield I've ever seen in football. Its a shame we don't have a 35 year old Gaz and Irwin on rear flanks, Bruce and Blanc as CB and Berbatov upfront
This :lol:

We're heading in the right direction with injecting pace into our squad (Shaw, Martial, Memphis, Schneiderlin (for a CM he's decent) etc.), but compared to alot of the top teams, we do lack pace, especially with that lineup yesterday.

ivaldo

I'm not sure the coming on for the last 20 minutes role suits him as he tends to take time to warm up and work his way into a game.
He's got to accept a squad role now as hes rightfully behind Schneiderlin, Herrera and Schweinsteiger in the pecking order, he's a good player to come out and see out a game of start for us in place of Schneiderlin against slower midfields who sit back.

Status
Not open for further replies.