Mo Salah

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Is it controversial to think that Salah is probably the best player on Premier League history for me behind Ronaldo and Henry? I think he’s absolutely insane and carries that Liverpool team a huge amount. Suspect he might add another title this year if he keeps up this form too.

Mark_Barca

Supports
Barcelona
Salah, Mbappe and Pogba all on free to RM in the Summer. Throw in Rudiger for good measure.

He's no Hazard in blowing up either, in unbelievably excellent shape. He'll be great until he's 34 too, Liverpool should just give him that year deal, 500k.
Salah's contract runs out in 2023.

ariveded

Salah contact is till 2023, at which he turns 31.

Doesnt make sense for LFC to pay the 2-3 times wages for 2025.

Modern players now are prone to big downfall, see Hazard, Auby. It’s good to be cautious…

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Still vexes me how Liverpool got a decent but not remarkable player and he became arguably the best player in the world.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Is it controversial to think that Salah is probably the best player on Premier League history for me behind Ronaldo and Henry? I think he’s absolutely insane and carries that Liverpool team a huge amount. Suspect he might add another title this year if he keeps up this form too.
He'll have a case if he wins more trophies. As things stand, they have 1 CL and 1 PL in a time period where City's players will be winning their 4th PL, have 5 Carabao Cups in the bank and an FA Cup.

Henry and Ronaldo won a few more trophies as well as putting up figures that were unmatched.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I don't think it's even a question anymore. He's undoubtedly up there with the best in PL history. He's one of the goats now.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He'll have a case if he wins more trophies. As things stand, they have 1 CL and 1 PL in a time period where City's players will be winning their 4th PL, have 5 Carabao Cups in the bank and an FA Cup.

Henry and Ronaldo won a few more trophies as well as putting up figures that were unmatched.
If we’re talking strictly PL, Henry only has 1 more PL title. He may have won a few more domestic cups but he never won a CL at Arsenal. Numbers of all 3 are pretty similar, although I think Henry also had some freakish assist tallies.

Where you rank the consistency guys like Giggs or compare CBs like Ferdinand or Terry is super arbitrary. But I would definitely say Salah’s in the conversation. Definitely their best ever PL player for me.

GlasgowCeltic

Him and Suarez are one and two in the post Ronaldo era for me.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
The future is running down contracts. Players are encouraged by their agents due to a hatred of the DOFs/CEOs. Loyalty is dead in the game.
If anything football has always been too 'over loyal' IMO. Players are suddenly expected to be loyal until the end to the club they've signed for, even if they're given a worse contract offer?

I get not moving to a direct rival, but there's really no need for a player to re-sign with the club for their whole career unless they're doing well.

Clubs shouldn't expect that either. It's another reason why bonkers transfer fees should start coming down again soon. I expect more players will start to move on for free's instead of being held hostage at clubs that can afford to not sell.

Goldfiessli

Supports
FC Basel
Still vexes me how Liverpool got a decent but not remarkable player and he became arguably the best player in the world.
His evolution as a player has been fascinating to follow. I remember when he first came to Basel, you could see his technical prowess. His ballhandling and pace with the ball were remarkable, but he was a truly awful finisher back then.

Reactions: 12OunceEpilogue

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
His evolution as a player has been fascinating to follow. I remember when he first came to Basel, you could see his technical prowess. His ballhandling and pace with the ball were remarkable, but he was a truly awful finisher back then.
That's the same guy we saw at Chelsea to be honest. I had zero qualms with selling him for 20 odd million. I thought we got an incredible deal at the time, with 3 Italian clubs fighting over him.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
With one title?

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
With one title?
Henry has 2, Ronaldo 3. Not exactly a huge difference.

Actually Salah put up a figure that is unmatched, 32 PL goals in a season. Also has more goals (110 vs 90) and assists (43 vs 36) than Ronaldo in the PL in 35 less games (basically an entire season less). Ronaldo was undeniably better at the end of his Utd career and reached a higher peak, and trophies is definitely an argument in his favour as well, but as for purely stats, Salah is definitely up there in the conversation if you're comparing him with Henry and Ronaldo.

For me personally he's not up there though, I wouldn't rank him ahead of the likes of Gerrard, Giggs, Lampard, ... either. Might come closer or overtake those players if he stays a few more years at Liverpool (and wins some more trophies). Depends on how you look at it though and which criteria you take into account.

gibers

Henry has 2, Ronaldo 3. Not exactly a huge difference.

Actually Salah put up a figure that is unmatched, 32 PL goals in a season. Also has more goals (110 vs 90) and assists (43 vs 36) than Ronaldo in the PL in 35 less games (basically an entire season less). Ronaldo was undeniably better at the end of his Utd career and reached a higher peak, and trophies is definitely an argument in his favour as well, but as for purely stats, Salah is definitely up there in the conversation if you're comparing him with Henry and Ronaldo.

For me personally he's not up there though, I wouldn't rank him ahead of the likes of Gerrard, Giggs, Lampard, ... either. Might come closer or overtake those players if he stays a few more years at Liverpool (and wins some more trophies). Depends on how you look at it though and which criteria you take into account.
If Liverpool win the league this season then Salah for me would be the best player to ever play in the league if he isn't already. Pool are competing with Chelsea and City, two of the best teams in Europe alongside Bayern. Henry's Arsenal played in a shite league with only United as competition and they were trash in Europe so you know the standard of the league was a joke. When we had Ronaldo, the league was greater than Henry's era but we only competed with Chelsea for the title. The best individual season I've ever seen in the prem is still hands down Suarez before he fecked off to Barca.

In terms of ability, he is not far off Ronaldo and Henry when they were in the premier league.

The premier league is far harder to win now as you have the best teams and best coaches in the league and the standard of the league is far superior to any point in its history. The smaller teams are generally much stronger as well. Salah already has the EPL record for most goals and is in course to break it again this year. Literally dropping points in the league now is seen as a travesty.

Salah this season is looking ominous. Hope Egypt and Senegal face each other in the Afcon final.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
If Liverpool win the league this season then Salah for me would be the best player to ever play in the league if he isn't already. Pool are competing with Chelsea and City, two of the best teams in Europe alongside Bayern. Henry's Arsenal played in a shite league with only United as competition and they were trash in Europe so you know the standard of the league was a joke. When we had Ronaldo, the league was greater than Henry's era but we only competed with Chelsea for the title. The best individual season I've ever seen in the prem is still hands down Suarez before he fecked off to Barca.

In terms of ability, he is not far off Ronaldo and Henry when they were in the premier league.

The premier league is far harder to win now as you have the best teams and best coaches in the league and the standard of the league is far superior to any point in its history. The smaller teams are generally much stronger as well. Salah already has the EPL record for most goals and is in course to break it again this year. Literally dropping points in the league now is seen as a travesty.

Salah this season is looking ominous. Hope Egypt and Senegal face each other in the Afcon final.
He's not better than Henry. The PL isn't far harder to win now. Arsenal had to overcome a dominant United team back in the day. Ans what does harder to win mean? Salah himself plays for a great team which amassed 99 points awhile back and won the CL too. He's not playing for Newcastle.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
He's not better than Henry. The PL isn't far harder to win now. Arsenal had to overcome a dominant United team back in the day. Ans what does harder to win mean? Salah himself plays for a great team which amassed 99 points awhile back and won the CL too. He's not playing for Newcastle.
Oh please. United ended with 75 and 77 points in the seasons Arsenal won the title. Arsenal did that with 87 and 90 points, which wouldn't have been enough for the title in 4 of the last 5 completed seasons.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Oh please. United ended with 75 and 77 points in the seasons Arsenal won the title. Arsenal did that with 87 and 90 points, which wouldn't have been enough for the title in 4 of the last 5 completed seasons.
Comparing point hauls between seasons with a decade and a half separating them is a little redundant.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Comparing points tallies of teams across decades has always been a silly exercise. Just because you need 90 points to win a league doesn't mean you have it harder than a league won with 80 points.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
And a Champions League. I don't think that Liverpool team is as good as the best Premier League sides ever but Salah has still carried them. Who was/is better?
Why is Salah ‘carrying’ them? I don’t get that. Do they not have any good players or something?

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Pool are competing with Chelsea and City, two of the best teams in Europe alongside Bayern. Henry's Arsenal played in a shite league with only United as competition and they were trash in Europe so you know the standard of the league was a joke.
Chelsea and City's European record over the last seasons is nothing special. They reached the same amount of semifinals and finals as Henry's Arsenal (1).

Last edited:

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Chelsea and City's European record over the last seasons is nothing special. They reached the same amount of semifinals and finals as Henry's Arsenal (1).
Chelsea are the reigning European champions. In what world is that nothing special?

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Chelsea are the reigning European champions. In what world is that nothing special?
i think he meant over the last few seasons. City have struggled and Chelsea won once but what else have they done? It’s not like they’re always there or thereabouts. They hadn’t got past the round of 16 for several years IIRC.

432JuanMata

It doesn’t really some players have great potential just need the right coach to unlock it. Ronaldo always credits SAF for this, he might of been world class anyway to SAF moulded him into that player.
With players like Salah and Ronaldo they are professional when it comes to fitness and dedication so if they have the right person directing and leading them they will max their level

432JuanMata

I’m also with you about Henry being better but the PL is much harder now. The difference is if SAF was still around he would build a team to challenge them but the likes of City since Pep have no let up. We went top last year and city won 12 in a row. Liverpool lost the league with 1 loss on 99 points.
Yes bar this season getting top 4 wasn’t the hardest as some top teams where rebuilding but to win the League you still needed 90+ points

432JuanMata

I think he means in last 5 years. Also people forget, yes the top 4 over last few years have been hit and miss but still you have to finish ahead of City and Liverpool. It’s like the German League, it’s easy to get top 4 but to win it you still need to finish above Bayern who win every week.
City finishing 90+ every season makes the league tough to win even if the rest are hit and miss. This season though it looks like the top 3 are really strong

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
Henry and Ronaldo are better than Salah overall
comparing complete careers, which includes when they were young... and that would take in account that when Henry was playing champions league semifinal with Monaco and Cristiano was destroying EPL teams, Salah was playing in the swiss league with Basel.

But speaking only and just about PL, Salah isn't far off from Henry and Cristiano.

The downside of Salah is being a late bloomer who was barely noticeable until he went to Liverpool.

Last edited:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Salah wasn't unremarkable before going to liverpool. It's why liverpool signed him in the first place, he was one of the best players in serie A. The only thing that was missing for him to become a monster was finishing

432JuanMata

Salah wasn't unremarkable before going to liverpool. It's why liverpool signed him in the first place, he was one of the best players in serie A. The only thing that was missing for him to become a monster was finishing
Agree about him being underrated before Liverpool as he was great at Roma but still he went from a very good season at Roma with 19 goals to 44 with Liverpool the next.
His finishing has improved but Klopp is a big reason with the style he plays and him being able to improve players.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
He wasn’t unremarkable but he certainly
wasn’t one of the best players in the world.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Henry and Ronaldo are better than Salah overall
comparing complete careers, which includes when they were young... and that would take in account that when Henry was playing champions league semifinal with Monaco and Cristiano was destroying EPL teams, Salah was playing in the swiss league with Basel.

But speaking only and just about PL, Salah isn't far off from Henry and Cristiano.

The downside of Salah is being a late bloomer who was barely noticeable until he went to Liverpool.
He’s not far off but there’s still a gap for me. Those guys won multiple titles plus lots of other cups, won multiple POTY awards (two each I think) and either won or were in close contention for the Ballon D’Or. I mean it was VVD that was close to winning the Ballon D’Or in Liverpool’s CL year, not Salah. In fairness to MS, when he had that crazy goal scoring season a couple of years back, it was at a time when Messi and Ronaldo had set the bar to unimaginable heights so he didn’t really get a BDO look in. Might well be different in 2022 if he keeps going like this.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I've always thought of Henry as the Premier League's greatest player. Salah might be in a list of the top 10 maybe.

In terms of goal scorers, he might be in the top five. I'd have Shearer, Henry, Rooney and Aguero in there. Kane might have a shout as well.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
He wasn’t unremarkable but he certainly
wasn’t one of the best players in the world.
I mean, he was one of the best players in one of the best leagues. And liverpool's statistical model had him as like the second best forward in europe in 16/17, after Messi...

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
I mean, he was one of the best players in one of the best leagues. And liverpool's statistical model had him as like the second best forward in europe in 16/17, after Messi...
I don’t know what Liverpool’s ‘moneyball method’ looks at, but we all know that he wasn’t the second best forward in Europe in 2016-17.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Wasn't Salah actually their 2nd choice signing though?
And I don't mean after Messi!

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Wasn't Salah actually their 2nd choice signing though?
And I don't mean after Messi!
There were rumours all around the club that Klopp was more keen on all of Pulisic, Brandt and Draxler before we ended up signing Salah.