Mo Salah

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
fecker is like an annoying bluebottle - just wont feck off.
Quality player.
Thankfully him and VVD are now both wrong side of 30.

KDB at City isn't a spring chicken anymore either.

We don't have to endure them for much longer hopefully. Been awful seeing our biggest rivals get things so right on the pitch.

mshnsh

I've only paid attention to Liverpool's results this season, not performances and stats but from what I've read on here and elsewhere I had presumed Salah has been underwhelming. Phoning it in after the big contract etc. Nah, Liverpool have let him down big time this year.

30 goals and 15 assists. Says a lot that a shit season for him is still better than Rashford's greatest ever season for us. There is still a mighty gap for us to bridge before we have a proper world class attacker.
The problem with stats is that they don't tell the whole story. Salah has not been good most of the season if you actually watched him play regardless of the stats.

Oranges038

The problem with stats is that they don't tell the whole story. Salah has not been good most of the season if you actually watched him play regardless of the stats.
He was good in the CL.

But, up until the Utd 7-0, he was showing up every other week in the PL. Since then in the PL he's pretty much got a goal or an assist nearly every game.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Yeah, it's gonna be difficult even if we limit it to just 5 forwards. Salah's consistency has been great but then you can't ignore Kane in the same era. That's why those lists can be too limiting. It might just be better to say he has been one of the greats of the PL era and leave it at that.
Exactly and if you include the whole PL era then Andy Cole is a consideration, there's a whole list of worthy names, if you say last 10 years then Kane and Salah are both in there

Sir Erik ten Hag

He was good in the CL.

But, up until the Utd 7-0, he was showing up every other week in the PL. Since then in the PL he's pretty much got a goal or an assist nearly every game.
So Manchester United revived his Liverpool career. Oh the irony.

mshnsh

He was good in the CL.

In today's stats obsessed football World, neither Zidane nor Iniesta nor Ronaldinho get recognised amongst the best in the world outright rather maybe just best in their position, like defenders; the only players to be considered the best are strikers. Salah was stinking it up until their current unbeaten run but has excellent stats at the end of the season.

It reminds me of Ronaldo last season and his last 3 seasons at Madrid.

This will be an unpopular opinion.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
In today's stats obsessed football World, neither Zidane nor Iniesta nor Ronaldinho get recognised amongst the best in the world outright rather maybe just best in their position, like defenders; the only players to be considered the best are strikers. Salah was stinking it up until their current unbeaten run but has excellent stats at the end of the season.

It reminds me of Ronaldo last season and his last 3 seasons at Madrid.

This will be an unpopular opinion.
I'm pretty sure Zidane was considered the best in the world when he as playing, Ronaldinho as considered in that conversation as well, because of time they are less familiar to younger players

And in Salah's case it was about in the PL not anywhere else, in the last 7-8 years he's definitely one of the best PL players whatever position

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Level with Haaland on G+A in the league and absolutely streets ahead of him in terms of overall play.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Level with Haaland on G+A in the league and absolutely streets ahead of him in terms of overall play.
Yeah, it's pretty ridiculous that people think Haaland is better than him tbf.

JogaBonitoRooney

You can still compare players who play in different positions. Basically whoever is the most effective for their team is the best. You could say Salah and KDB are better than Haaland in that.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
You can still compare players who play in different positions. Basically whoever is the most effective for their team is the best. You could say Salah and KDB are better than Haaland in that.
Are they? Halaand is the most effective for his team at his job. Scoring. Neither competes with him at it. So on what basis would you place them ahead of him without using things outside his job duty?

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Are they? Halaand is the most effective for his team at his job. Scoring. Neither competes with him at it. So on what basis would you place them ahead of him without using things outside his job duty?
He doesn't have tekkers and he doesn't score beautiful goals, that's what it comes down to for some

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
His worst PL season since joining Liverpool still saw him get 29 G/A’s. Freaky bastard. Hopefully he doesn’t pack us up next week because he absolutely loves it against us. :(

cyberman

Haalands goals isnt that much better than Salah to warrant just scoring goals as the deal breaker. Salah is just shy of a goal involvement every game for Liverpool for feck sake

ForFuchsSake

An apt comparison over the years was with Eden Hazard. As beautiful as Hazard was to watch, he wasn’t really ever comparable to Salah in terms of output. I suppose amongst current PL players, the most appropriate player to compare with would be a Saka, Son (although he’s played as a striker more now) or Martinelli.

Salah is truly special. In a tier of his own, in terms of wide forwards in the league. Consistently great output with both goals and assists and still an easy watch. Hoping his age starts to catch up with him very soon but he doesn’t appear to be slowing down anytime soon unfortunately.

Haalands goals isnt that much better than Salah to warrant just scoring goals as the deal breaker. Salah is just shy of a goal involvement every game for Liverpool for feck sake
Goal scoring is the deal breaker because its the ONLY fair basis for comparison. Its isn't Halaand's job to have goal involvements outside scoring goals.

An apt comparison over the years was with Eden Hazard. As beautiful as Hazard was to watch, he wasn’t really ever comparable to Salah in terms of output. I suppose amongst current PL players, the most appropriate player to compare with would be a Saka, Son (although he’s played as a striker more now) or Martinelli.

Salah is truly special. In a tier of his own, in terms of wide forwards in the league. Consistently great output with both goals and assists and still an easy watch. Hoping his age starts to catch up with him very soon but he doesn’t appear to be slowing down anytime soon unfortunately.
I'd say his a marriage between winger cr7 when he first won poty and ypoty in the epl and goal scoring CR7. Only Henry is comparable to him IMHO in EPL history outside of cr7 himself.

Isn’t that why Salah is the better player? It was never his job to score so many goals until he did so
He plays wide forward in a front 3, not a pure winger in 4-4-2 . Its definitely in his responsibility brief to also score regularly. A reason why I consider comparisons between the two flawed. I'd understand if Halaand wasn't a traditional cf and played like Henry, Suarez or even Kane. Instead Halaand is Ruud Van Nistelrooy type with more size pace and power. A pure box target 9 whose only goal involvements come in scoring in the box or holding up the ball to release another to score.

Last edited:

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
My guess is Halaand will be moved on as City realise he does in fact make the overall team worse.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
He plays wide forward in a front 3, not a pure winger in 4-4-2 . Its definitely in his responsibility brief to also score regularly. A reason why I consider comparisons between the two flawed. I'd understand if Halaand wasn't a traditional cf and played like Henry, Suarez or even Kane. Instead Halaand is Ruud Van Nistelrooy type with more size pace and power. A pure box target 9 whose only goal involvements come in scoring in the box or holding up the ball to release another to score.
But that also is why Henry was always a better player than Nistelroy even if they were scoring at comparable rates.

Saying "it's not his job" is a bit of a cop out since the reason it is not his job is because he's too limited to do it.

One is a goalscorer, the other one is a goalscorer, outlet and provider. it's not that tough to compare.

mav_9me

I'd say his a marriage between winger cr7 when he first won poty and ypoty in the epl and goal scoring CR7. Only Henry is comparable to him IMHO in EPL history outside of cr7 himself.
Exactly what I said to my friend.

The levels of productivity are insane. Other than Henry has anyone had 20+ in both goals and assists in a league season? Salah might.

But that also is why Henry was always a better player than Nistelroy even if they were scoring at comparable rates.
It isn't
Henry and Van Niistelrooy played the exact same postion, doing the exact same job. Thus the comparison had an actual basis. Henry was clearly better because he brought more expertise to the exact same job.

Trying to compare Salah with Halaand to label 'who's better" is the exact thing as comparing peak Beckham at United with peak Henry. There isn't a fair nor actual base line for comparison because their jobs are vastly different. Yet both are literally apex at their specific jobs. One as a creative, goal scoring wide forward. The other as a pure, lead the line goal scoring penatly box cf

Saying "it's not his job" is a bit of a cop out since the reason it is not his job is because he's too limited to do it.
puhease Halaand can actuall beat players with dribbling and can actually assist because he has the vision. He just doesn't care to and rightly so because his traditional cf job doesn't require it at all! Its NOT his primary job. Especially in teams like City. Being limited has nada to do with.

You argument is up there with arguing Salah is "limited" because he can't score at Haaland's rate. When frankly it isn't his primary job.

One is a goalscorer, the other one is a goalscorer, outlet and provider. it's not that tough to compare.
Who called it tough? We called it baseless and pointless. Utterly unnecessary

Strictly Cr7 who was a pure goal scoring winger and Henry, who was the first (perhaps only) consistently goal scoring creativ, dribbling lead the line 9 in EPL history, can be compared to Salah. Every other comparison is baseless, unnecessary and frankly an insult to Salah.

For the likes of peak Hazard, Mane are so far behind its untrue as wide forwards. And as Cfs only maybe Rooney and Suarez can be considered outside Henry. The next would be Firmino who is galaxies away, tbh. For I don't consider Kane a dribbler even though he is a play maker 9.

goatmeister

Supports
PSKI
Salah vs Cristiano (late seasons) is apt comparison.
They even play the same side of the field.
Both run and dribble at pace, finish chances, create for others.
The only difference maybe when it comes to free kicks, especially direct ones.
Salah is far behind pecking order at Liverpool while Cristiano pretty much takes everything.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
When he's done playing, I honestly think Henry will be the only player that remains ahead of him in the list strikers and wide forwards who have played in this league.

Tibs

Got to give credit where its due, Mo Salah is a top player, a top professional, and seemingly a top guy too.

Licha-Vidic

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
A Premier League Great.

One of the only players who made me jealous, as an opponent player. A true PL great.

Last edited:

B20

Supports
Liverpool
Looking forward to seeing what the alltime topscorer against Manchester United will do tomorrow. Fully expect he will build on that record, as well as the record of most consecutive games scored against you.

He's scored 11 goals in the last 6 games against you, guys.