Nasri To City - Done Deal!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blair

Or wait a year and get him for free. If the player wanted to come and forced his own transfer, making it clear he'd only sign for United, he'd go for considerably less than £16m.

I should add here, that if the club did think £16m was worth paying then fine, it doesn't matter a jot to me how much we pay for X player, I just have trouble seeing the club think it's a good deal.
Well yes there's that. But I feel we need to make a move this summer for a top notch central midfielder. Hargreaves is gone and Scholes' future seems uncertain.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Anyone have any idea of the sort of fees previously paid for quality players in their final 12 months of their contract?

I'm no expert on transfers but that sort of fee for a player of Nasri's quality - already established in the PL - seems like an absolute bargain.

Plus it would be fecking over Arsenal massively. An added bonus.

kietotheworld

Anyone have any idea of the sort of fees previously paid for quality players in their final 12 months of their contract?

I'm no expert on transfers but that sort of fee for a player of Nasri's quality - already established in the PL - seems like an absolute bargain.

Recently Ozil was sold for £12m, Neuer is being touted at around £16m, we're reported to be in for Young at £15m (although I have big doubts about that one)

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Well yes there's that. But I feel we need to make a move this summer for a top notch central midfielder. Hargreaves is gone and Scholes' future seems uncertain.
I agree, I was just emphasising the point that there has to be some modicum of sense in so far as his contract position. Perhaps my thinking is out of date, but in that position I just can't see it being worth £16m. If he wasn't close to being out of contract then yes, fine, but from the club's perspective I just don't see it.

Well that is likely what we will be paying for Young.
If Ashley Young with 12 months left on his contract is now worth £16m I might have to sit in a corner and cry for a while.

There is that, of course.

VoetbalWizard

evra taking a page out of barca's tapping up book.

nasri would command pretty high wages IMO. Certainly higher than modric but lower than sneijder.

However, he would be over 50% cheaper in terms of transfer fee than those two and is younger than either one.

Also "premiership proven".

scottish_red

wouldn't want this signing, even for 16m because if we do, we're unlikely to go for another CM player. Ive never seen him play well in a big game, he always seems to go into a shell.

WeasteDevil

Quite! I'm not sure about this player though.

It's now when SAF needs to sign his Veron, not when he had Keane, Scholes, and Butt in the middle as well.

Scoreboard Red

Quite! I'm not sure about this player though.

It's now when SAF needs to sign his Veron, not when he had Keane, Scholes, and Butt in the middle as well.
I've had this same opinion Weaste; Veron was brought in at the wrong time, United were strong and weren't in decline in 2001. We ended up losing Stam and ultimately the team tinkering cost us losing to Arsenal, but the midfield was strong.

I'm not sure I would want Nasri at United, despite the good player that he is. I've not seen him have a good FULL season yet and when the chips are down, I've not seen him stand up at Arsenal in the same manner RVP can or Wilshere will.

VoetbalWizard

I've had this same opinion Weaste; Veron was brought in at the wrong time, United were strong and weren't in decline in 2001. We ended up losing Stam and ultimately the team tinkering cost us losing to Arsenal, but the midfield was strong.

I'm not sure I would want Nasri at United, despite the good player that he is. I've not seen him have a good FULL season yet and when the chips are down, I've not seen him stand up at Arsenal in the same manner RVP can or Wilshere will.
true about veron. an in-prime veron lording about with carrick, fletch, giggs.

With our discipline in europe as well..veron would've fit post 2007 united perfectly.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
We need a CM now and not in a years time + as a free agent Nasri would be asking ridiculous sums of money in terms of salary and signing on fees.

Scoreboard Red

We need a CM now and not in a years time + as a free agent Nasri would be asking ridiculous sums of money in terms of salary and signing on fees.
Yeah but a signing on fee is still far less than a transfer fee outlay.

When we signed Mark Bosnich in 1999, he was paid a £2.5m signing-on fee, I know this because there was an article a few weeks back by a hack who wrote Fergie needs to get the next keeper right rather than buy a fat, bloated useless goalie like Bosnich who commanded a £2m fee and I asked Mark Bosnich what he thought about the article.
Bosnich responded to me saying he was entitled to his opinion but was wrong...the fee was £2.5m!

Crustanoid

Patrice Evra invites Arsenal's Samir Nasri to join Manchester United
• France team-mate says Nasri should move to Old Trafford
• Arsenal midfielder entering last year of contract

Manchester United's left-back Patrice Evra has risked upsetting Arsenal by encouraging Samir Nasri to leave the Emirates and join him at Old Trafford.

Nasri has one year left to run on his contract with Arsenal and the 23-year-old midfielder is set for talks about a new deal next month, but Evra made it clear he believes his France team-mate would be better off at Manchester United.

"If Samir comes, he has to know there is no room for mistakes," said Evra in the French newspaper L'Equipe. "Each year you are playing to win. That is Manchester United's culture.
:lol::lol::lol: Wenger will be happy

"I have been at Manchester United for five years and I can't remember how many trophies I have won … 13? 15?. So 'Petit Prince', if you want to be King, you know where you have to go."

Devilton

Wenger has consistently played him out of position. Nasri should be playing in the middle where he is most effective. He's being played wide where he drifts out of games. When he played in the middle during Fabregas layoff he was very influential.

But Wenger seems to favor the likes of Diaby and Wilshere in that position and as a result Nasri has remained peripheral in the last few months. Personally also think he's switched off and wants to look for a way out of London because he realizes even with Fab gone Wenger will still play Ramsey and Wilshere in the middle and keep him on the wing.

evra

Bitten by an adder as a baby, the adder died.
Nasri won't leave on a free, if he goes it will be this summer. Personally I can't understand anyone being underwhelmed by him as a player, his is one of the best young attacking midfielders in world football. On a side note Evra (the player) is really pulling out all the stops to become a figure of hate for Arsenal fans!

Number7

Ret's Slave
As 'Scott the red' from ROM on twitter said yesterday, no wonder Arsenal fans hate Evra. Evra's losing count of how many trophies he's won and Arsenal are losing count of how many years they've gone since they won

Plechazunga

Grammar partisan who sleeps with a real life Ryan
Where Albert Stubbins scored a diving header
It made perfect sense at the time. We'd been relying on Keane, who'd already had a couple of bad injuries, to do the work of two men next to Scholes in a very attacking midfield that was necessary because we had good but not amazing strikers.

So, bring in a playmaker who sits deep next to Keane, taking some of the defensive burden off him as well as orchestrating moves. Free Scholesy to push up and concentrate on providing for a genuinely world-class centre forward.

The only problem was, it didn't work. Veron never really settled, Scholes was arguably better timing his runs from deep, and a beautifully balanced midfield was disrupted. But that's the way of the world, just cos something doesn't work as planned doesn't mean the plan was wrong.

As for Weaste, he wanted to bring in Ruben Baraja...

Devilton

Playing in his preferred position and in the right team he could easily score 15+ goals a season from the midfield. Something we have lacked in the last few years.

The two major concerns with him though are 1) Doesn't track back well 2) Injury prone.

apotheosis

O'Fortuna
Playing in his preferred position and in the right team he could easily score 15+ goals a season from the midfield. Something we have lacked in the last few years.

The two major concerns with him though are 1) Doesn't track back well 2) Injury prone.
Only 2 concerns? 3) Defensively poor 4) Lazy 5) Inconsistent 6) Goes missing in physical games.

No not for me, and definitely not in our set up. In my view he is a luxury player, occasionally a matchwinner, but more often than not pretty ineffective imo. He is skilful on the ball and when he is in the mood he can be a threat, but i cannot for the life of me see him playing effectively in our 2 man midfield.

Others may see more to his game than i, but i honestly believe we need more complete and versatile central players than Nasri, for a more consistently effective 2 man midfield. Nasri may contribute a few goals but for me he would generally offer less than Giggs does currently, so what's the point?

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Only 2 concerns? 3) Defensively poor 4) Lazy 5) Inconsistent 6) Goes missing in physical games.

No not for me, and definitely not in our set up. In my view he is a luxury player, occasionally a matchwinner, but more often than not pretty ineffective imo. He is skilful on the ball and when he is in the mood he can be a threat, but i cannot for the life of me see him playing effectively in our 2 man midfield.

Others may see more to his game than i, but i honestly believe we need more complete and versatile central players than Nasri, for a more consistently effective 2 man midfield. Nasri may contribute a few goals but for me he would generally offer less than Giggs does currently, so what's the point?
Nasri is definitley not lazy.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
He'll sign a new deal.

Move alone everybody. Nothing to see here.

apotheosis

O'Fortuna
Nasri is definitley not lazy.
Maybe not in your opinion, and that's fair enough, but i beg to differ. I have watched Arsenal on many occasions over the last couple of seasons and i can honestly say i have never noticed him doing too much defensively, and if the chips are down he often disappears offensively as well.

Like i have said he has talent, but for me his contributions off the ball leave a lot to be desired, and i for one would not be particularly excited if we were to sign him. We have become a team where every player does their share of defending and attacking and Nasri again imo, is a bit too much of a luxury player.

Kaos

especially when he is in a situation where he can join us if he really wants to ...
Even if he was crying out for a United move doesn't guarantee we'll move in for him. Its not how SAF rolls, he has his targets and I'm sure he'll stick to them, if Nasri is one of them then fair dos.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Maybe not in your opinion, and that's fair enough, but i beg to differ. I have watched Arsenal on many occasions over the last couple of seasons and i can honestly say i have never noticed him doing too much defensively, and if the chips are down he often disappears offensively as well.

Like i have said he has talent, but for me his contributions off the ball leave a lot to be desired, and i for one would not be particularly excited if we were to sign him. We have become a team where every player does their share of defending and attacking and Nasri again imo, is a bit too much of a luxury player.
I think he showed a level of application and sense of responsibility when he was playing as a one of the 2 holding midfielders last(?) year to show he can do it, I just don't think it's necessarily required from Arsenal's attacking players. Sometimes it looks like it's not even encouraged.

yamo123x

Can't see this is happening. We need a creative midfielder with an eye for a goal -nasri and schnejder fit that role but i got a feeling we will go for modric, even though his goalscoring record is quite poor.

By all accounts young deal seems in the bag too.

young
modric
de gea

wouldn't be bad business in my eyes, although im sure there will be a few more twists.

lysglimt

Scout
You have to give Wenger credit for one thing - he is very good at persuading his players to stay season after season despite them not winning a thing. I mean - Robin van Persie - 28 years old in the summer - has he even won a trophy at Arsenal ? Yeah he is injury-ridden but a club like Barcelona or Real Madrid would love to have him - and he would probably win something.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I think hes played a few different roles for France and done well, more so than for arsenal anyway.
Yeah I think currently he's playing as a centre mid for France, against Luxembourg it was him, M'Vila and Gourcuff in a three and he did a lot of the midfield work that we'd see of Anderson or Giggs in there. And from what I gather most of the time he played centrally for Marseille.

apotheosis

O'Fortuna
I think he showed a level of application and sense of responsibility when he was playing as a one of the 2 holding midfielders last(?) year to show he can do it, I just don't think it's necessarily required from Arsenal's attacking players. Sometimes it looks like it's not even encouraged.
You may well be right Brwned, i have never claimed he is not capable of it, only that i have yet to see such application consistently. I have noticed he does go missing in games and seems a very streaky type of player, form wise.

To be fair to him i suppose, he is not the only Arsenal midfielder to go missing when the going gets tough, so as you point out it may indeed be more attributable to Wenger's tactics than simply Nasri's lack of effort.

Either way he is a player i am yet to be convinced by.

Devil may care

Arsenal could lose Samir Nasri over pay wrangle | Mail Online
Wenger has revealed for the first time that money is the key stumbling block. He told French radio: 'We have a financial disagreement which hasn't yet been settled. We are still in discussions but we haven't agreed a deal.'

Manchester United are keeping a close eye on the 23-year-old, but Wenger insists: 'One thing's for sure, we're not selling him to United.'

Bear Attack

---------------De Gea---------------
Rafael----Ferdinand---Vidic-------Evra
Valencia---Modric----Carrick------Nasri
-----------Rooney----Hernandez------

I would absolutely love that.

Status
Not open for further replies.