6.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

ExoduS

Kinda poor today, but he must be freaking dead. He played every minute of every game for Manchester United in Premier league and he also just got back after playing 2 very important games for Serbia. He was poor there too tho I think. Looks to me mentally and physically exhausted.

Backrow Singer

The way Herrera was playing today Matic was basically a 1 man midfield against a 3 man midfield.

Won't hold this performance against him, he had the toughest job by far out there today.
Bang on. Didn't have any options in front of him, a player like Matic needs runners and movement and simply we didn't have any. Ended up playing backwards and sideways purely because it's the only way he could keep the ball. Don't think he had any other option 95% of the time. Either that or go long to Lakaku which didn't work either.

Put a shift in defensively, Herrera gets drawn to the ball a fair bit but he covered well and scrambled well.

Bulldogg

Matic and Herrera couldn't really get control at any period of the game i felt they both could have been better for sure. It wasn't easy though we lost the ball far too easy when we got the ball to our attacking 3rd credit to Liverpool they did well. You can't fault Matic's work rate to defend i though he was discipline and at no point did he allow frustration to creep into his game, I can say the same for Herrera.

Because Liverpool was pressing with multiple players i would have liked Matic and Herrera to play a little closer to one another a lot of the time Matic was pressed by two Liverpool players and there was just no quick short side/forward pass on to open up space in the midfield. A reason for this is Herrera gets drawn to the ball a lot and finds himself at random positions on the field where as Matic tends to occupy the space where he can intercept and get in the way of a dangerous run into the box which 90% time is in front or close to our centre backs so when we win the ball back and the ball is at Matic's feet Herrera is often too far away and not in an ideal position for a quick pass.

I feel if Fellaini (not to mention Pogba) was fit Jose would of played a midfield 3 at some point in this game just to have the extra passing option and things could have been different. Overall we had a couple players out we still managed to keep a clean sheet away to Liverpool ill take the point its a long season lads a point at Anfield is a good result imo.

ti vu

Bang on. Didn't have any options in front of him, a player like Matic needs runners and movement and simply we didn't have any. Ended up playing backwards and sideways purely because it's the only way he could keep the ball. Don't think he had any other option 95% of the time. Either that or go long to Lakaku which didn't work either.

Put a shift in defensively, Herrera gets drawn to the ball a fair bit but he covered well and scrambled well.
While Herrera didn't have a nice game passing wise, he was not bad overall considering his defensive work.

Agree that the key to midfield battle is numbers and passing options. One main outlet turned out to be liability, Mikhi which put more pressure on the players with less ability on ball: Smalling, Darmian. It became a chain reaction that every single players regardless of their usual ability make mistake on ball: DDG made a poor kick , Jones a under hit backpass...

breakout67

Supports
Man City
He would beat the press, only for no other player to provide a passing option and so he would run into a blind alley.

This happened over and over again, he would turn or swivel to take out two players from the game only for the third to tackle him because no-one is available to receive the ball. Left out to dry by Mkhitaryan; virtually no support from the no.10 in midfield.

criticalanalysis

He would beat the press, only for no other player to provide a passing option and so he would run into a blind alley.

This happened over and over again, he would turn or swivel to take out two players from the game only for the third to tackle him because no-one is available to receive the ball. Left out to dry by Mkhitaryan; virtually no support from the no.10 in midfield.
This. He took responsibility and carried the ball trying to create openings (instead of hoofing down channels and to Lukaku). He's a big game player. I've said this like 5-6 times in this thread already but I hope he gets some rest because we fecking need him to be as fresh as possible come end of the season.

Herrera and Miki has to take a lot of responsbility for that, although Mourinho's set up didn't help.

ManUtd1999

Obviously, he didn't have a good game, but it happens. Nothing to hold against him.

I just hope that he improves his shots (I know that he had one decent effort today): so far this season, he had ZERO shots on target in 8 league starts.

Jaybomb

Both him and Herrera were bad today. But a clean sheet so let’s move on.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Was poor, couldn’t get into the game and was caught in possession far too often.

Has looked top drawer up to now, hopefully that’s not down to the opposition he’s come up against as was well and truly second best against Henderson et al yesterday.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
Was poor, couldn’t get into the game and was caught in possession far too often.

Has looked top drawer up to now, hopefully that’s not down to the opposition he’s come up against as was well and truly second best against Henderson et al yesterday.
Was quite average vs Stoke too. I can see why Chelsea think Bakayoko is a potential upgrade.

kps88

Jose said he was tired but couldn't do anything as we had no other midfield options. We're going to have to start resting him once we get Fellaini back.

el3mel

Was quite average vs Stoke too. I can see why Chelsea think Bakayoko is a potential upgrade.
Yeah we saw the mighty Bakayoko against the great Crystal Palace midfield and looked an absolute upgrade on Matic, right. :houllier:

Treble

Matic is a very good signing but is likely to look a bit average in most highly intensive games. He's a bit slow over short distances and when pressed intensively as yesterday he isn't great at keeping possession. Still he and Lukaku help us big time when it comes to beating midtable teams. Which is a clear improvement from last season.

SATA

Well if Jose has said that Matic's tired, then he better start resting him soon instead of running him to the ground this early! I cannot imagine our midfield without him in the big games, it will be so dysfunctional

LoneStar

It was never going to be pretty for him or Herrera when it was a 3v2 the whole game. Plus Coutinho was also cutting in. Doesn't help that Herrera was poor too. Also looks very exhausted.

He is a very specific kind of midfielder who needs someone like Pogba to complement him.

With the other options out, we'll have to play the two again in the CL match. Hope one of the injured CMs are back for the Huddersfield game so he can be rested a bit.

el3mel

Hope you read potential, Matic is better currently.
I can't even see that potential in Bakayoko. He wasn't the most outstanding midfielder at Monaco to start with, Fabinho was.

A good player but that's it. He'll never reach the level of Matic IMO.

Sammyjunn

I can't even see that potential in Bakayoko. He wasn't the most outstanding midfielder at Monaco to start with, Fabinho was.

A good player but that's it. He'll never reach the level of Matic IMO.
Matic isnt some world beater, I think Bakayoko has most of the tools to eclipse Matic but needs to mature a lot in his game
I'd agree Fabinho is better and has more potential than him though.

el3mel

Matic isnt some world beater, I think Bakayoko has most of the tools to eclipse Matic but needs to mature a lot in his game
And that's it. Bakayoko isn't that kind of mature of midfielder that keeps composure on the ball. His style of different so he'll never reach the same level of Matic.

If you want to compare Bakayoko to anyone we have then it's Herrera, similar style.

ti vu

Matic at his best is one of the best at what he does. That would take some doing for many young players to reach. For tools Bakayoko has to eclipse Matic, there are some other tools he doesn't posses which in the end would balance thing out. Passing range & vision. Ability to make play by stringing his teammate together. Calmness and patience to hold position and read the situation.

I feel people see Bakayoko potential the way Gerrard's was. They look explosive given favorable condition. However, when it gets tough and these guys are to hold responsibility to keep thing tick, would they be reliable to keep their cool?

Sammyjunn

And that's it. Bakayoko isn't that kind of mature of midfielder that keeps composure on the ball. His style of different so he'll never reach the same level of Matic.

If you want to compare Bakayoko to anyone we have then it's Herrera, similar style.
When Matic was Bakayoko's age he was am average midfielder at Vitesse, he matured severely since then. It really isnt weird that a 23 year old midfielder will mature a lot in his game, similar to as how Pogba will.

Bakayoko will take time to adapt to the pace of PL, and he'll start fulfilling his potential. Dont think he's similar to Herrera tbh.

ti vu

When Matic was Bakayoko's age he was am average midfielder at Vitesse, he matured severely since then. It really isnt weird that a 23 year old midfielder will mature a lot in his game, similar to as how Pogba will.

Bakayoko will take time to adapt to the pace of PL, and he'll start fulfilling his potential. Dont think he's similar to Herrera tbh.
Different players have different growth rate. That discounting different style and role. Some player enjoy lengthy career but didn't hit the exact height some player with shorter top level years.

Matic for all his career has a sharp mind. He was not that strong, but develops. He was more attacking players but has good defensive quality which as his career goes, it's better ulitize him deeper as a defensive player. Bakayoko strength always lies with his physicality. For him to improve his vision, passing ability is high order. He can learn to be calmer and disciplined but even that thing is not a guarantee by any means. Not all players can make that transition in role.

Someone like Pogba is a player with pedigree due to even at young age, it's clear to see he has every physical, technical, visionary tool... His developement is more about trying to find the best harmony and build the team around him. Different than forcing Matic or Bakayoko to improve to fill a specific profile.

Last edited:

el3mel

Does that really mean anything ? Several young players now have better start of career than some of known world class players but doesn't mean they will reach their same level. What was Modric and Lampard doing at the same current age as Bakayoko ? Does that mean he'll better than them when he reach their age ? Come on.

There's no need to adapt to evaluate him. He's a different style than Matic and will never reach his level of composure? Again if you want to compare him with someone then it's Herrera. I except Bakayoko to be a similar player to Herrera at 28-29, or slightly better. He'll never eclipse Matic.

Sammyjunn

Does that really mean anything ? Several young players now have better start of career than some of known world class players but doesn't mean they will reach their same level. What was Modric and Lampard doing at the same current age as Bakayoko ? Does that mean he'll better than them when he reach their age ? Come on.

There's no need to adapt to evaluate him. He's a different style than Matic and will never reach his level of composure? Again if you want to compare him with someone then it's Herrera. I except Bakayoko to be a similar player to Herrera at 28-29, or slightly better. He'll never eclipse Matic.
No, it means that player mature in their game and after years of experience get better and better in in dictating play, dictating tempo and improve tactically. Especially in that role, how many young midfielders play that "quarterback" role, it comes with time.

Bakayoko is bought as a replacement for Matic, plays in the same or similar position as Matic, whether stylistically they are the 100% same players or not, Bakayoko can well prove to be a better player for them in the longrun than Matic was for them. I am not sure how you say he will never reach his level of composure as if Matic is the midfields Messi.

ti vu

No, it means that player mature in their game and after years of experience get better and better in in dictating play, dictating tempo and improve tactically. Especially in that role, how many young midfielders play that "quarterback" role, it comes with time.

Bakayoko is bought as a replacement for Matic, plays in the same or similar position as Matic, whether stylistically they are the 100% same players or not, Bakayoko can well prove to be a better player for them in the longrun than Matic was for them. I am not sure how you say he will never reach his level of composure as if Matic is the midfields Messi.
Drinkwater is Matic replacement. Bakayoko was to add to Chelsea team regardless. They don't have that depth and it has been proven with Kante out injured and Drinkwater still not fit to play. Cesc and Bakayoko haven't been assuring.

Strange question to ask. It seems like some high profile transit role make people think the deep midfielder role is a role that every majority of midfielder would eventually master. For every Kroos, Modric, Scholes, Pirlo, Matic, Bastian... you have abundance of deep midfielders would stay and develop how they initially broke through. De Rossi, Thiago Motta, Busquet, Xabi Alonso, Van Bommel, Xavi, Casemiro, Emerson...

As pointed out in previous post, those who were able to make the transition in role, always showed a good playmaking, vision... from young age in different role. The way you look at Bakayoko to develop dictating play, tempo... is like expectation of Rooney to become another Scholes. Rooney was explosive players. He may have good passing technique to pull some Scholes esque pass, but always a sky apart in term of play making ability. Reality proved just that point with Rooney failed miserably transited to a deeper role.

el3mel

Except Bakayoko isn't really playing a similar role to Matic. I don't understand your point. He's not a DMF, wasn't even that at Monaco. He's a box to box midfielder who helps in both attack and defense, in Monaco Fabinho was the DMF not Bakayoko. Matic is a proper DMF who sets deep and dictate the play from the back. Bakayoko will never reach this stage because he's a different player in different roles in midfield. There's a reason Chelsea are struggling in midfield this season, because they no more have a proper DMF who secures the back 4 for them. Neither Kante not Bakayoko are of this type.

Bakayoko will never be an upgrade on Matic for Chelsea. When you see them going for a new proper DMF next summer to replace Matic don't be surprised.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud

I think people always overlook this point (of course Because most aren't pro managers or footballers). Matic #1 concern when in possession against a team like Liverpool is keeping the ball. Period. Don't try and be peak Scholes, recycle the ball and hold it. If he has no runners or options go back or sideways. The critique should be on the front four for not offering more options in my opinion.

I and imagine most of the Cafe would have been livid if he kept turning over the ball to the likes of Salah and Coutinho.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I think people always overlook this point (of course Because most aren't pro managers or footballers). Matic #1 concern when in possession against a team like Liverpool is keeping the ball. Period. Don't try and be peak Scholes, recycle the ball and hold it. If he has no runners or options go back or sideways. The critique should be on the front four for not offering more options in my opinion.

I and imagine most of the Cafe would have been livid if he kept turning over the ball to the likes of Salah and Coutinho.
Carrick was often accused of the same when in fact when you have no passing options in front of you, it's impossible not to go sideways and backwards. Good passers need others to shine.

ti vu

Carrick was often accused of the same when in fact when you have no passing options in front of you, it's impossible not to go sideways and backwards. Good passers need others to shine.
Some of these same people for some reasons, made revisism that Carrick would control the game different/better, when inreality in similar scenario or even against same opponent, Carrick had similar/same problem when there were outlet options.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Some of these same people for some reasons, made revisism that Carrick would control the game different/better, when inreality in similar scenario or even against same opponent, Carrick had similar/same problem when there were outlet options.
Even Xavi/Pirlo would struggle badly under intense pressure with zero help. No one can do it alone.

Trizy

Just like the Southampton game when both Matic & Fellaini couldn't control the midfield due to their lack passings ability
What? Matic is a brilliant passer of the ball.

Can't hold his performance against him, Herrera and Mkhit were absolutely shite.

Mike09

What? Matic is a brilliant passer of the ball.

Can't hold his performance against him, Herrera and Mkhit were absolutely shite.
Not too sure. "Brilliant passer". You never watch Scholes? Xavi? Pirlo? Or at least Keane, Alonso & Carrick?

A bit too much if you called him as a brilliant passer. If he's a brilliant passer of the ball, I think we should have done much better during our counter attack against Southampton & Liverpool & people don't need to mention about missing Pogba. I never singled out Matic alone though, I did mentioned Fellaini in Southampton game & Herrera in Liverpool game. I only stated he's always been a pure defensive player not a playmaker type.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
We should hire Danilo Pereira at winter market. Matic really needs someone trustable to rotate with.

R'hllor

It was about time. He'll be called average I no time and there will be crying we didn't get someone else instead. Now the Stoke game has emerged suddenly.
And you wanted Perisic here, you lucky bastard.

Status
Not open for further replies.