Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Varun

Staff
Yeah, I'd like him rested a bit more too. Herrera is more than capable of slotting in there.

R'hllor

Of course you can, I'm just saying that in this instance, it's a bit crazy.
Crazy or not, think reason/s for sub are stronger then reason/s for not when scoreline is 4:0, when we have Ander on the bench etc.

InfiniteBoredom

Crazy or not, think reason/s for sub are stronger then reason/s for not when scoreline is 4:0, when we have Ander on the bench etc.
I didn't find many instances when SAF rested Carrick in his last season when we were winning comfortably.

Midfielders cover a lot of distance but they rarely exert themselves by bursting constantly. He said himself that his fitness isn't up to par yet so maybe Jose is just playing him as much as possible to get him primed.

Of course, a burn out scenario is always possible and no one forget the famous double-sub, but Matic was willing to come play for Mourinho again so presumably there were other reasons behind his atrocious form that season.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I think Mourinho wants to play him into full fitness if that makes sense, judging by what Matic said and how Mourinho uses him so much.

R'hllor

I think Mourinho wants to play him into full fitness if that makes sense, judging by what Matic said and how Mourinho uses him so much.
Maybe but doubt it, i wouldnt have argument if Matic is playing for him for the first time but in this case, already watched similar movie during their time in Chelsea.

InfiniteBoredom

Maybe but doubt it, i wouldnt have argument if Matic is playing for him for the first time but in this case, already watched similar movie during their time in Chelsea.
He's a seasoned professional though, if his fitness is so bad that after just a run of a few weeks playing 2 times a week he burns out then how can we rely on him for the run in, assuming that we'd still be in the cups by then and every game is important?

The player himself said that he lacks a proper pre-season and is still catching up. It's only fair to afford the manager the benefits of the doubt in this instance.

Norris

Rest ? Now ? Seriously ? Matic himself has said that he doesn't feel like he is at his best yet since he never had a proper pre-season. Mourinho is trying to give him as much game time as possible now so that he gets upto speed. He'll get his rest in due course. People need to be patient.

Jib

I dont know why he is not resting a guy who didnt have a pre season with a team.
He did the same with Pogba last season. And obviously without Pogba you can't rest Matic if you want to win...

haram

We score all our goals in the last 10 mins anyway. When is Matic supposed to be rested? Mourinho cant take him off at 1-0. We need to sign another CM next year when Carrick is done.

criticalanalysis

Jose in the stands? Other than to watch Matic, any other reason? Hm..

To the poster that said he look knackered in this game, obviously these highlights don't tell the full story but he seems to be doing the same things he does when playing for us.

Good goal too. Good first touch with right foot and opened body to score with his left all in one motion.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads

To the poster that said he look knackered in this game, obviously these highlights don't tell the full story but he seems to be doing the same things he does when playing for us.

Good goal too. Good first touch with right foot and opened body to score with his left all in one motion.
Alaba? :drool:

F1D

There are rumours he was there for Mijat Gacinovic.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
The caf will slaughter you. Not his first poor match, mind.
For all the criticisms of Micky and Herrera (and they have been poor) he's been just as bad. But not a single post in his thread.

NinjaFletch

For all the criticisms of Micky and Herrera (and they have been poor) he's been just as bad. But not a single post in his thread.
I really don't agree with that. He's the only one of that three that has played with any discipline or composure. Not that he's been particularly great either, but I'd say he's been comfortably the least bad of all of the players further forward than De Gea and the back 4 (minus Darmian).

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I really don't agree with that. He's the only one of that three that has played with any discipline or composure. Not that he's been particularly great either, but I'd say he's been comfortably the least bad of all of the players further forward than De Gea and the back 4 (minus Darmian).
He's been robbed of the ball without even knowing a player was there several times. His passing has been incredibly safe and has not gained any control overy the game whatsoever. Remove him from the game and we probably wouldn't even realise.

NinjaFletch

He's been robbed of the ball without even knowing a player was there several times. His passing has been incredibly safe and has not gained any control overy the game whatsoever. Remove him from the game and we probably wouldn't even realise.
I don't really disagree; I'd just argue that those criticisms and a whole host more can be levelled against the other two as well.

Devil may care

I thought he did his best to get some composure into the team but it was hard when Herrera and Mkhi were so erratic on the ball.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
The way Herrera was playing today Matic was basically a 1 man midfield against a 3 man midfield.

Won't hold this performance against him, he had the toughest job by far out there today.

Roboc7

We have already seen against Everton and Southampton that he can't do everything himself against any decent side.

He was poor but without Pogba we don't have a competent partner to play alongside him on a two man midfield unless we are up against dross.

Silas

Poor, but it can't be easy when the other two midfield players are losing the ball over and over.

R'hllor

In recent games regardless of midfield partner he looks like playing alone there. Ander was doing some weird pressing, pushing from wrong side of Liverpool players and doing all that vs 3 man midfield. Dont want to sound like Matic isnt at the fault, God knows i had my share going at him in last 2 weeks but thats how it looked to me.

He was very poor by his standards today. He lost the ball far too often with poor passes and wrong turns, and kept letting people just outrun him. Looked like he was tired.

SATA

He looked absolutely spent after 70 minutes but kept going. Jose really needs to give him a break midweek and play Carrick or someone instead

Mike09

Just like the Southampton game when both Matic & Fellaini couldn't control the midfield due to their lack passings ability and also unable to handle high press, this time is against Liverpool's high press. And both Matic & Herrera couldn't control the midfield. They kept gave the ball away too much every time they won it. I have watched Matic since he was at Chelsea and I don't know why people thought he was poor for giving the ball away too many times. I'm not surprised with what Matic did today in term of passings, not his speciality when you expect him to dictate the tempo. Matic needs a maestro next to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.