New Tottenham Hotspurs manager

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
Surely if Hiddink is a realistic option he's the best choice by miles? Wealth of experience and successful almost everywhere he's been.

Hughton isn't an option. A lot of Norwich fans want him out and his sides have been booed off several times this season alone. Not remotely good enough for Spurs.
Where on earth does this come from? Spurs have always been a side that flattered to deceive but they are certainly not the massive club they are being made out to be.

mufcwarm92

Where on earth does this come from? Spurs have always been a side that flattered to deceive but they are certainly not the massive club they are being made out to be.
Yeah, but they're a side fighting for a spot in the top 4. Hughton is struggling at a side fighting relegation.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
Yeah, but they're a side fighting for a spot in the top 4. Hughton is struggling at a side fighting relegation.
Yeah and this is my point. Norwich are struggling against relegation so would you not agree it's a good job to keep them up? Give him a team to fight for top 4 and maybe there is a chance that with the bigger budget and the better facilities he could fight for a top 4 spot.

mufcwarm92

Yeah and this is my point. Norwich are struggling against relegation so would you not agree it's a good job to keep them up? Give him a team to fight for top 4 and maybe there is a chance that with the bigger budget and the better facilities he could fight for a top 4 spot.
When has that ever happened though? He's been far from impressive in keeping a mediocre team afloat amongst other mediocre teams. Do you also think Sam Allardyce and Steve Bruce are candidates? Or Steve Clarke and Tony Pulis who lost their jobs in similar circumstances?

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
When has that ever happened though? He's been far from impressive in keeping a mediocre team afloat amongst other mediocre teams. Do you also think Sam Allardyce and Steve Bruce are candidates? Or Steve Clarke and Tony Pulis who lost their jobs in similar circumstances?
No because I've already said that I think he should be looked at for his Spurs ties. None of the managers you mention have any association with Spurs.

finneh

I just don't get how any club can sack a manager without having a replacement lined up. That's just stupid and careless.
This is the part that confuses me most. If we agree on the following things which I would say are pretty factual:
  • AVB is a better manager than Sherwood or any other coach currently at the club
  • Spurs are paying AVB whether he manages or is out of work
  • They don't have another manager lined up who they feel would do better than AVB
If you combine this with the fact that most of the signings were only going to get better with time, then it's perplexing. It's very similar to the oil clubs, that sack the manager almost as a statement that they have the power and authority to do it on a whim. It seems AVB pissed off someone higher up and they've sacked AVB not as it's best for Spurs at the moment, but as it's best for their ego.

Skywarden

This is the part that confuses me most. If we agree on the following things which I would say are pretty factual:
  • AVB is a better manager than Sherwood or any other coach currently at the club
  • Spurs are paying AVB whether he manages or is out of work
  • They don't have another manager lined up who they feel would do better than AVB
If you combine this with the fact that most of the signings were only going to get better with time, then it's perplexing. It's very similar to the oil clubs, that sack the manager almost as a statement that they have the power and authority to do it on a whim. It seems AVB pissed off someone higher up and they've sacked AVB not as it's best for Spurs at the moment, but as it's best for their ego.
You could add in the fact that it's mid-season as well, and most sane managers wouldn't move now unless there's a gigantic pulling power at the new club.

finneh

You could add in the fact that it's mid-season as well, and most sane managers wouldn't move now unless there's a gigantic pulling power at the new club.
Exactly. It would seem like a level headed person would just let him carry on to the end of the season. If things improved then they would be seen as a respectful club who gave the manager time; if he failed and finished 6th-7th then he would have strung up his own noose.

I've seen a tiny minority of fans on this board calling for Moyes to be sacked, which would be an equally baffling decision this early on (from someone who never wanted him as our manager). However at least at United you'd be confident we could attract almost any manager we wanted outside the World's top 10 clubs. Spurs will have a very finite group to choose from as they aren't an attractive proposition for managers; in part because of their Chelsea/City policy of hiring and firing, but without the riches that those clubs offer.

alastair

ignorant
It's going to be difficult to snare a manager going to the World Cup.

It was clearly a kneejerk decision without any thought of a replacement.

They're away at Southampton at the weekend, where if they lose, they'll be in crisis town.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Sacking a manager without a replacement lined up is sticking two-fingers up at the ability of the sacked manager. The club are essentially saying "We'd be better with no manager at all, than if you were the manager".

So I think the only fair thing left to do is to give Adebayor the job.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Considering the change in manager what will the expectations now be for Spurs?

At the start of the season top 4 would be a reasonable expectation given the amount of money spent but i think that a Trophy + EL qualification will be enough for Levy. EL winners get a CL spot now don't they? Maybe they will go all out in that competition to try and get into the CL as i think the top 8 (excluding Newcastle) will be fighting it out for the European spots right down to the wire.

bigredmachine

Running smooth
Working under Levy sounds insane. A half decent manager with any ambition of setting up a structure wouldn't go to work under Levy.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It's funny to laugh at Spurs.

Until we realise they're still above us! We best put that right soon.

Sounds madness there though. AVB not wanting 4 of the signings they made this summer!!

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Did alright today but can he make Adebayor be arsed for more than a few games? Soldado is looking like a crap buy now. Gave him some time but he missed some good chances today.

Funny that sp*rs are being carried by Gooners.

Moriarty

Did alright today but can he make Adebayor be arsed for more than a few games? Soldado is looking like a crap buy now. Gave him some time but he missed some good chances today.

Funny that sp*rs are being carried by Gooners.
What was the name of that Russian striker they bought a few years ago who was supposed to fire them to glory?

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Its a tasty job at this stage for a manager. They have a couple of handy home games over Xmas(West Brom and Stoke at home). If they win those they are in the top 4 mix. To be honest that's pretty much a very good outcome for a squad who lost its star player, had to integrate a load of new players and sacked its manager.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
If I were Levy and could get Van Gaal next season, I'd go with Sherwood until then - rather than hiring someone now who is almost guaranteed to be a lesser manager than Van G.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
If I were Levy and could get Van Gaal next season, I'd go with Sherwood until then - rather than hiring someone now who is almost guaranteed to be a lesser manager than Van G.
Sherwood made it pretty clear he's not interested in simply keeping the seat warm for someone else.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Sherwood made it pretty clear he's not interested in simply keeping the seat warm for someone else.
He did, eh? That's a tricky one, then. Bit...big headed of him, ain't it? He has zero experience as a manger in his own right, after all.

On another note - I find it interesting that Levy was so adamant that Baldini should stay on. It's something I'd definitely take into serious consideration if I were thinking about taking the Spurs job. Strikes me as a match, er, not made in heaven - Levy and Baldini, I mean.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
He did, eh? That's a tricky one, then. Bit...big headed of him, ain't it? He has zero experience as a manger in his own right, after all.
Bigheaded because he doesn't want to take a full-time managers position that isn't permanent? Bit harsh, surely you can see where he's coming from regardless of experience.

Stepping in for 2 or 3 games is acceptable but being told you're there for interim purposes can't be ideal for someone looking to make a step up into management. Someone like Hiddink who will always have the next job lined up might be Hally with 6 month interim jobs but I can see exactly why Sherwood would decline it.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Stepping in for 2 or 3 games is acceptable but being told you're there for interim purposes can't be ideal for someone looking to make a step up into management.

Why not? It's a hell of a thing to put on your CV compared to what he has currently. Few managers with no actual managing gigs get opportunities like that.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Why not? It's a hell of a thing to put on your CV compared to what he has currently. Few managers with no actual managing gigs get opportunities like that.
The man himself has said he doesn't want the job on an interim basis....I'm calling it like I see it. It may well be good on a CV.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
The man himself has said he doesn't want the job on an interim basis....I'm calling it like I see it. It may well be good on a CV.

I think he's trying to hardball Levy into a longer contract.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Yes, but, the point he is making is that is is Naive of Sherwood to do that. He has no manager experience, and it would be the perfect opportunity to take a position where there is not all that much to lose but a lot of experience to be gained. He should take the hit if the opportunity arises until the end of the year and then he has a much better chance of taking a manager job at another club. That would be the logical thing to do but his ego appears to be in his way.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
The man himself has said he doesn't want the job on an interim basis ....
Interim means for x weeks or months only, then you'll definitely be replaced. But if Levy tells him that he can carry on until the summer, with the possibility of a long-term contract depending on how well the season goes for Spurs from here on, then I'd imagine Sherwood would be more than happy to accept this.

Or else he'd be an idiot not to accept, because clearly he is not going to get a better offer.

Plugsy

Spurs would be fecking crackers to give it to Sherwood and all his mates now in the media who believe that two games in management suddenly makes him qualified for the job full time with all the verve as if Harry Redknapp was up for the 'Terry Venables Diamond Geezer Award' is just hysterical.

People enter jobs as caretaker all the time when a manager leaves a club. Most of the time they're largely little-known backroom staff who if they have a few good results might be spoken about as potentially candidate material. But Sherwood has had two games, one good result and because his playing career had a bit of profile everyone's bigging him up for the job full time. It's hilarious.