Newcastle owners sanction the murder of 7 men for sit-in protests

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Ye but it is about Newcastle United so the clear involvement of the PIF is important
If you say so.

But like with the glib jokes, I think that's not the point and vulgar.

This is the football forum, not the United forum, it has nothing to do with your agenda.

ScholesyTheWise

Yes it makes a difference.

I've been asked before and I said that there are regimes that I would have an issue with on an ownership level. However unless they did something extreme (eg ban gays from OT), I would support the 11 players on the pitch regardless.

I will also point out that Newcastle United are owned by the sovereign wealth fund of Saudi Arabia, whereas there is no state entity bidding to buy Manchester United.
come on now...

el diablorojo

Supports
Brentford
After the last game of the season vs City I had to travel up to Yorkshire and was on a train full of Geordies. One of them noticed I was wearing red and white stripes decided he didn’t like that (can’t think why) and called me a red and white see you next Tuesday, I replied I’d rather be that than a Saudi petrodollar apologist see you next Tuesday. His response was literally I don’t care behead all the b***ards. That’s the sort of blind following and defending of their actions they are after.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
If you say so.

But like with the glib jokes, I think that's not the point and vulgar.

This is the football forum, not the United forum, it has nothing to do with your agenda.
I didn't start this discussion - just responded to other off topic posts and then you asked me an off topic question!

Back on topic it's worth pointing out that the PL did actually try to block the Newcastle takeover but PIF/Mike Ashley took them to court and the PL lost. AFAIK it was not on any kind of human rights grounds though, it was more about a dispute between Saudi Arabia and (ironically) Qatar over PL streaming rights.

Last edited:

Spoony

The People's President
I didn't start this discussion - just responded to other off topic posts and then you asked me an off topic question!

Back on topic it's worth pointing out that the PL did actually try to block the Newcastle takeover but Saudi Arabia took them to court and the PL lost. AFAIK it was not on any kind of human rights grounds though, it was more about a dispute between Saudi Arabia and (ironically) Qatar over PL streaming rights.
Our government wanted them to take over. And don't start me on Yemen. Disgusting.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
So let's pretend Russia is the same as North Korea? This shit actually matters to people's lives. I'm sure if you'd asked Romanians under Ceaucescu (whatever, I cant spell to save my life) if theyd prefer the circumstances in Hungary in the 80's, theyd all say yes. I don't see the point pretending that not being completely free but having food and a roof over your head and not being killed indiscriminately is the same as not being completely free and having a shit life.

1. This thread is about Saudis
2. Why Arab states? What has Qatar got to do with Saudi Arabia? They're both Arab. Okay, makes perfect sense.
That's one angle. But on a United forum, with the club in the middle of a takeover by another state-backed company, the context is obviously there: if Qatar wins the bid, Manchested United may soon be in a similar situation that something abhorrent happens (if not the exact same thing) and a straight line can be drawn from those responsible to United's owners.

Apparently, some discussion can be had about whether Qatar's leader or simply an independent Qatari company are buying United (or not? I haven't followed that discussion); but other than that, I think there's a clear context for drawing Qatar and United into this discussion.

BobFromParva

Supports
Whitchurch Alport FC
IMO you can’t blame the Geordie fans for the barbaric actions of their owners government in the same way that you couldn’t blame them for openly running torture camps and the illegal invasion of various countries if their owners were from the USA.
I mention this in the context that the USA was built on the genocide of millions of native inhabitants and it’s reconned that they’ve killed over 20 million in the constant wars that they’ve waged since then.
The murderous actions of Middle Eastern governments / rulers or what have you almost pale into insignificance, by comparison, and our own country probably comes somewhere close to the top of war crimes and genocide rankings.

Now I love reading most of the threads on this forum, wouldn’t have signed up if I didn’t, but this thread smacks strongly of people in glass houses throwing stones around.

NotThatSoph

lemons are annoying
Hope he answers it, he's been asked similar questions before.

Same-sex intercourse is a capital crime under current Qatari law (which is partially Sharia law, heavily influenced by Sharia). As is apostasy.

And no - there is no undeniable evidence that it has actually been carried out in recent times. So, that's something - I guess *. In general, though, it would seem that a state that formally considers same-sex intercourse and apostasy as capital crimes is...yes, what? On its way to better things? Give it 40 years and presto? No need to make a big deal out of it?

* Gay and non-binary people who have been abused and beaten by the authorities will surely appreciate that they probably won't literally lose their heads, just be considered abnormal and undesirable.
Yeah, that line isn't going to win through.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/for...ns-be-respectful.473650/page-50#post-29767397

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Life in Qatar is pretty decent for nearly everyone if you shut up about politics.
You’re gay…you wouldn’t be a part of nearly everyone.

Like at least I like both, you’d be fecked (except not literally).

And before someone jumps in about the footballers on the pitch and how it only matters how they’ll affect Manchester and the gays at old Trafford wind your neck in I don’t care about that. I just want to genuinely know what drives someone to post that sentence when they themselves are gay or queer.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff

Back on topic it's worth pointing out that the PL did actually try to block the Newcastle takeover but PIF/Mike Ashley took them to court and the PL lost. AFAIK it was not on any kind of human rights grounds though, it was more about a dispute between Saudi Arabia and (ironically) Qatar over PL streaming rights.
So it was my fault your were forced to bang your Qatar drum.

I can only apologise for making you lool like a crass shill in a thread about 7 deaths.

Now to find all the other culprits.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
murder
noun
the unlawful premeditated killing of one human being by another

Unlawful the key word here mate. Just plain and simple English.
What is going on in this thread :lol:
The indigenous Americans weren’t murdered, it was the Indian Removal act

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
IMO you can’t blame the Geordie fans for the barbaric actions of their owners government in the same way that you couldn’t blame them for openly running torture camps and the illegal invasion of various countries if their owners were from the USA.
I mention this in the context that the USA was built on the genocide of millions of native inhabitants and it’s reconned that they’ve killed over 20 million in the constant wars that they’ve waged since then.
The murderous actions of Middle Eastern governments / rulers or what have you almost pale into insignificance, by comparison, and our own country probably comes somewhere close to the top of war crimes and genocide rankings.

Now I love reading most of the threads on this forum, wouldn’t have signed up if I didn’t, but this thread smacks strongly of people in glass houses throwing stones around.
You can't blame Newcastle fans for what's happening in Saudi Arabia, but you can point out that those happy with their owners lack morals.

Also, can you point out the ones in this thread who throw these stones and think nothing of past (and/or current) atrocities committed by the US and UK (and Canada and the Netherlands, if I bring myself into it) governments? In other words, where is the actual hypocrisy, specifically? Cause none of us on here represent a country or organization, we all each individually just represent ourselves.

And further, how do past atrocities justify a country committing atrocities now? If witches were never burned in Canada, would it be above criticism from Europeans if that started now, since it happened quite a lot in Europe a while ago?

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff

Awful comparison. If we had an American buyer who was indistinguishable from the murderous US industrial military complex the reactions would be the same.

The US has many many many problems but their billionaires, especially the post dot com Randian freaks are as likely to be anti state as pro state.

Withnail

Glazers are murdering us. Also without going back. Wasn’t this when they murdered that journalist? Yes that was murder. Different to this thread.
Some truly bizarre posts from you in this thread. I've no idea where you're going with that last one.

As for your State sanctioned killing is ok, because the despotic ruler decided it was a fitting punishment for being involved in protests as children? Is that really the point you're making?

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
We live in a country that supports some Lonny despot somewhere, I don’t like state club ownership but some of the ivory towers in here have more poly filler than my front room.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
What is going on in this thread :lol:
The indigenous Americans weren’t murdered, it was the Indian Removal act
If it was done today it would be called genocide though because that's what it was

Withnail

We live in a country that supports some Lonny despot somewhere, I don’t like state club ownership but some of the ivory towers in here have more poly filler than my front room.
It's not really much of a point you're making though is it? Are you referring to the UK or just all countries everywhere have links to despots so therefore everyone's a hypocrite. It's a reductive and disingenuous point.

If you don't like state onwership why are you having a go at others who are also against State ownership?

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
It's not really much of a point you're making though is it? Are you referring to the UK or just all countries everywhere have links to despots so therefore everyone's a hypocrite. It's a reductive and disingenuous point.

If you don't like state onwership why are you having a go at others who are also against State ownership?
Cause it is hypocritical. We invade countries for oil, allow blood diamond mining for marriage sake, sweat shops for football jerseys and fashion and smart phones, 5 star hotels where employees get paid feck all, we basically exploit any country we can for profit? It’s all a fecking mess, but when a club does well cause of their owners, that’s when we get up in arms? Come on man, it’s pathetic.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Cause it is hypocritical. We invade countries for oil, allow blood diamond mining for marriage sake, sweat shops for football jerseys and fashion and smart phones, 5 star hotels where employees get paid feck all, we basically exploit any country we can for profit? It’s all a fecking mess, but when a club does well cause of their owners, that’s when we get up in arms? Come on man, it’s pathetic.
If a guy who invaded a country for oil and made bank on blood diamonds bid to takeover Spurs would you say anything against him?

Andy_Cole

Some truly bizarre posts from you in this thread. I've no idea where you're going with that last one.

As for your State sanctioned killing is ok, because the despotic ruler decided it was a fitting punishment for being involved in protests as children? Is that really the point you're making?
All I’m saying is it’s not murder. It’s a disgusting execution.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
If a guy who invaded a country for oil and made bank on blood diamonds bid to takeover Spurs would you say anything against him?
i don’t like state ownership, like I said. I don’t see why people get so heat up by the Saudi regime is my point, the west is just as dirty. I don’t think any football club should be owned by a state, I think we should go along the line of Germany where the fans have a say.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
If Rishi made it a law that people were allowed to kill my mate Ryan’s Nan (good luck taking down that battle axe), does Ryan fall down to his knees and shout out “the justice of it” or is he still allowed to go with injustice (I swear that’s my last one Andy)

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
If Rishi made it a law that people were allowed to kill my mate Ryan’s Nan (good luck taking down that battle axe), does Ryan fall down to his knees and shout out “the justice of it” or is he still allowed to go with injustice (I swear that’s my last one Andy)
Thats a bit of a blunt example.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
i don’t like state ownership, like I said. I don’t see why people get so heat up by the Saudi regime is my point, the west is just as dirty. I don’t think any football club should be owned by a state, I think we should go along the line of Germany where the fans have a say.
It was a simple question Lily, I asked if you’d state an opinion against it. Because you would wouldn’t you? That doesn’t make you a hypocrite though (unless you were actively rooting for another country invader).

The West thing gets bought up a lot, but if Tony Blair rocked up to Manchester trying to take over the club, the exact same people would be speaking out

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
To be fair an execution is murder, just depends what side of the line you fall on.
True, but bear in mind, if you had a referendum on bringing back the death penalty in the UK, I fairly sure the majority would be in favor

Withnail

All I’m saying is it’s not murder. It’s a disgusting execution.
Well it's a bit pedantic point but I see what you mean. Your abhorrence for the sentence didn't really come across in the first post.

As far as I'm concerned it's state sanctioned murder no matter which country it happens in and should be completely abolished.