OFFICIAL: Jose Mourinho is Manchester United manager | Megathread closed, start new Mourinho threads

How do feel about José Mourinho's appointment as Man Utd manager?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MaNNe-

It's all how you look at it.

We missed out on top 4 on goal difference, in a season we had about 8 home 0-0 draws, and went a whole calendar month without a win. December? 5 games!
Based on that, it'd be quite doable to say the least to improve on this season, so as a minium Jose should smash us back into the top 4.
Chelsea and Liverpool have bigger work to do to catch us up, Leicester cannot hope to get close to matching this season, so it really is all up for grabs.

Momentum is often everything, so a good start is paramount.
Very true. That's the thing I'm afraid of is if we get into a very rough start. How will Mourinho and the players handle it? Especially after the way Mou left Chelsea. My minimum expectations for next season would be top-4 anything beyond that is a bonus, but top-4 is a must. I don't think it's going to be easy regardless. At the same time I think Mou will 100% improve from last season. Given the love he seems to have for Manchester United I also hope that he will be staying longer term then the usual 3-year stint he does. Now what we need is for Woodward to not let Mourinho down and give him some of the signings necessary for us to take that next step. Ibrahimovic + cb + rw would be nice :).

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Very true. That's the thing I'm afraid of is if we get into a very rough start. How will Mourinho and the players handle it? Especially after the way Mou left Chelsea. My minimum expectations for next season would be top-4 anything beyond that is a bonus, but top-4 is a must. I don't think it's going to be easy regardless. At the same time I think Mou will 100% improve from last season. Given the love he seems to have for Manchester United I also hope that he will be staying longer term then the usual 3-year stint he does. Now what we need is for Woodward to not let Mourinho down and give him some of the signings necessary for us to take that next step. Ibrahimovic + cb + rw would be nice :).
Mourinho+Ibra+a couple of quality signings+getting more from the good players we already have can only give us every chance of having a really good season

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Excellent article from Marcotti here...

@SirAF
This bit is interesting:
"You don't have to have a degree in good corporate governance to realize that Mendes is a walking, talking conflict of interest. His job is to do what's best for his clients, but when some are players and some are managers and they're at rival clubs, it's a very fine line.

When Mourinho returned to Chelsea, the club dealt with it by having a clear division of responsibilities. Michael Emenalo and Marina Granovskaia were in charge of transfer activity, while Mourinho had an advisory role and Mendes was there to represent his clients and nothing more.

What happens next at Old Trafford will play a major role in determining whether Mourinho gets the players he wants. Give him too much power over transfers and Mendes becomes United's de facto director of football. Set limits and -- if Woodward remains solely responsible for buying and selling -- there might be missed targets, panic buying and overspending, at least based on his track record."

I wonder if we actually do need a DoF

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
This bit is interesting:
"You don't have to have a degree in good corporate governance to realize that Mendes is a walking, talking conflict of interest. His job is to do what's best for his clients, but when some are players and some are managers and they're at rival clubs, it's a very fine line.

When Mourinho returned to Chelsea, the club dealt with it by having a clear division of responsibilities. Michael Emenalo and Marina Granovskaia were in charge of transfer activity, while Mourinho had an advisory role and Mendes was there to represent his clients and nothing more.

What happens next at Old Trafford will play a major role in determining whether Mourinho gets the players he wants. Give him too much power over transfers and Mendes becomes United's de facto director of football. Set limits and -- if Woodward remains solely responsible for buying and selling -- there might be missed targets, panic buying and overspending, at least based on his track record."

I wonder if we actually do need a DoF
Yes. Woodward playing with fire if he thinks Mendes won't take the piss. I want Mourinho to have final say on transfers of course, but shouldn't give his agent free reign to dictate things. I don't know how you can handle that without having someone else oversea that side of things.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
First order of business is to give Rashford a new contract.
Agree that he should get a contract befitting a first team player, but I think we should be using a lof of bonuses generally, with a lower base wage. Applied really to the whole squad, but even more so when you get promising players coming through.

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He's been my favorite manager in the game since the retirement of SAF and was my second favorite when SAF was still active. The guy would kill to win, that's the type of manager you want to have on your sidelines. I don't know how this season can play out, the BPL is strong, has many great managers and high financial resources. But I'm excited for the summer and for the games to start again. I'm really curious to see how we're gonna play.

0161_UNITED

Leading up to this, I had, and still have, reservations about Mourinho. He seems to get more strung out and more tempestuous every season that passes. Chelsea's meltdown was a red flag. However, as the decision approached the inevitable, I also had a touch of nostalgic memories back to the time of Sir Alex's retirement. Thinking back to when I learned Sir Alex was retiring, I thought for sure it would be Mourinho. It had to be. Mourinho's respect for Sir Alex, the Real Madrid post-match comments by Jose, it just all fit. It just made sense.

When Moyes was announced, I thought, well... "maybe they know better". We went for the "nice guy". The "long-term option". The romantic option, though? I'm not so sure. I really wanted Moyes to be successful,though. I yearned for the Busby - Ferguson - Moyes Scottish connection to be made. I wanted the Chosen One to succeed. But Mourinho's shadow hung like cloud over it all. Moyes was a gamble. Jose, for me, was the sure thing. The safe choice. The best choice.

One of the last to abandon Moyes, I still think with more time and backing he might've turned a corner, but at the time there seemed to be no end to how far we'd fall. Moyes was lost at the end, he had no answers. I wondered, how bad will this get? How low will we tumble before we turn a corner?

Finally, in the end, Moyes was mercifully let go. A huge sense of relief, but the shadow remained. There was Jose, slowly and patiently building Chelsea up. He said they had no chance, but were the only true challengers for the title that season. You could sense it and taste it ... next season, he'd take the title. Which he would.

Then we chose Van Gaal. Unorthodox, a bit of a madman, notorious for his fallings out with players, but the mastermind behind an Ajax side which thrilled. The football was dreadful when he started. He cleaned house of absolutely useless players, his transfer strategy for the most part looked totally influenced by the World Cup - a huge red flag (Never buy players based on a few matches in a tournament). Then, it continued. Baffling lineups and positioning. He seemed to relish his success with Holland and tried to shoehorn United into a bizarre 3-5-2. Then an ultra-defensive 4-2-3-1. Mind bending posters on this forum at the time tried to convince that this was in actuality a 4-3-3, that better days would come, the philosophy and process would come good. Eventually we began to realise that people saying the football we saw was different and more advanced from our perception was false. For me, it came during pre-season this year, same old shit, different day - with Bastian Schweinstieger, Memphis Depay, Anthony Martial and Morgan Schneiderlien. A good transfer window, by most accounts, resulted in the same dire football. The grand transition to Ajax had faded. This was how the football was going to be. Pogue started a thread that day. It was tepid, boring, and sleep inducing (the football - not Pogue's thread).

I'll never say that I don't appreciate what Van Gaal accomplished. He brought stability to a team in free-fall. I never felt we'd be fall to 7th, or lose sight of top four with Louie. But we were mind numbingly boring. I was at Old Trafford against West Ham and I remember struggling against the atmosphere. It was more about the history, the glory of the past. The football was dreadful. Walking to the pub after the match with the bloke behind me chanting "Louis Van Gaal's Sh*te Army". The shadow had returned hung over it all. Mourinho was about to be sacked. Some drunk fella thought I was Bastian Schweinsteiger himself and started to berate me in the loo. Next week it was the Jose scarves on sale at Old Trafford. Maybe, I could finally have a pee in peace if Jose was in charge.

Van Gaal was in touching distance of top four, and I do appreciate the FA Cup win. I really wanted top four, as well. But he's gone now. And all I can do now think back to 3 years ago when I heard Sir Alex was retiring and think, it's Jose. It has to be. Now it is. For me, it's meant to be. This is no slight on United's history. I buy not one effing cent into the we've sold out, we've sold our souls, football is dead hysterics of arm waving fanatics. We've got the proper manager, with the proper mentality, I hope, to go forward. It's 3 years ago again. I'm back at the same point I started.

Last edited:

YouOnlyLiveTwice

One thing Mourinho got going for him here is Martial who will be the star of the team in the near future has a much better mentality than Eden Hazard. I can't see him going missing for 90% percent of the year in the same fashion.

vk20legend

Does anyone know or is there any news on whether we might add more pre season games now that Jose has taken over?! A friend of mine said he read somewhere that Jose wants to add more pre season games. He couldn't find a link.

Also, he has already started as manager right?! When he says he can't wait for July 7th, doesn't mean he doesn't officially start till that date, correct?!

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
More from theshedend:

Think about it..! What if mourinho knew all along that the UNITED job was going to be vacant this summer and he was destined to succeed LVG.

Would it be far fetched considering all things possible that he intentionally initiated he's sacking from Chelsea to enable him a hassle free succession to MU?

I mean consider the EVA scenario, it was incredibly unnecessary and just fecking STUPID and then the issue with some players. Never mind strengthening the squad, how the feck do you also manage to fall out with at least HALF the players in a squad you built?????

He soon came on match of the day claiming he won't quit but Chelsea can sack him and now he has his wish.

At his dream club where he can just as well correct alot of his wrongs:
1- play an attacking brand of football
2- regularly play youth
3- utilise mata
4- calm down with embarrassing remarks that damage the club

I will be incredibly p*ssed off if this happens. I really wanted it to work with him at Chelsea. Problem is, I know he's not bigger than this club which he thought he was and he didn't have me wrapped around his little finger like he does with many other CFC fans.

The guy left us in a terrible state. We know Woodward is not great in the transfer market and Utd regularly miss out on targets. Let's see if that happens and if Jose has a melt down from it.I'm just praying it all goes wrong for him.
This theory is bullshit, and doesn't represent the shedend's views in any way. In fact most of the posters there are hounding out the OP for his ridiculous theory.
Most of them are feeling betrayed with the media love Jose''s shown for us, and despite their respect for him, want him to fail at United.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
Does anyone know or is there any news on whether we might add more pre season games now that Jose has taken over?! A friend of mine said he read somewhere that Jose wants to add more pre season games. He couldn't find a link.

Also, he has already started as manager right?! When he says he can't wait for July 7th, doesn't mean he doesn't officially start till that date, correct?!
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...tment-at-manchester-united-could-see-extra-p/

JTW95

Gullible sausage
What happens to all them people who signed up with Jo-Mo in their name? Have they been savagely changed to Mourinho?

Tiber

Leading up to this, I had, and still have, reservations about Mourinho. He seems to get more strung out and more tempestuous every season that passes. Chelsea's meltdown was a red flag. However, as the decision approached the inevitable, I also had a touch of nostalgic memories back to the time of Sir Alex's retirement. Thinking back to when I learned Sir Alex was retiring, I thought for sure it would be Mourinho. It had to be. Mourinho's respect for Sir Alex, the Real Madrid post-match comments by Jose, it just all fit. It just made sense.

When Moyes was announced, I thought, well... "maybe they know better". We went for the "nice guy". The "long-term option". The romantic option, though? I'm not so sure. I really wanted Moyes to be successful,though. I yearned for the Busby - Ferguson - Moyes Scottish connection to be made. I wanted the Chosen One to succeed. But Mourinho's shadow hung like cloud over it all. Moyes was a gamble. Jose, for me, was the sure thing. The safe choice. The best choice.

One of the last to abandon Moyes, I still think with more time and backing he might've turned a corner, but at the time there seemed to be no end to how far we'd fall. Moyes was lost at the end, he had no answers. I wondered, how bad will this get? How low will we tumble before we turn a corner?

Finally, in the end, Moyes was mercifully let go. A huge sense of relief, but the shadow remained. There was Jose, slowly and patiently building Chelsea up. He said they had no chance, but were the only true challengers for the title that season. You could sense it and taste it ... next season, he'd take the title. Which he would.

Then we chose Van Gaal. Unorthodox, a bit of a madman, notorious for his fallings out with players, but the mastermind behind an Ajax side which thrilled. The football was dreadful when he started. He cleaned house of absolutely useless players, his transfer strategy for the most part looked totally influenced by the World Cup - a huge red flag (Never buy players based on a few matches in a tournament). Then, it continued. Baffling lineups and positioning. He seemed to relish his success with Holland and tried to shoehorn United into a bizarre 3-5-2. Then an ultra-defensive 4-2-3-1. Mind bending posters on this forum at the time tried to convince that this was in actuality a 4-3-3, that better days would come, the philosophy and process would come good. Eventually we began to realise that people saying the football we saw was different and more advanced from our perception was false. For me, it came during pre-season this year, same old shit, different day - with Bastian Schweinstieger, Memphis Depay, Anthony Martial and Morgan Schneiderlien. A good transfer window, by most accounts, resulted in the same dire football. The grand transition to Ajax had faded. This was how the football was going to be. Pogue started a thread that day. It was tepid, boring, and sleep inducing (the football - not Pogue's thread).

I'll never say that I don't appreciate what Van Gaal accomplished. He brought stability to a team in free-fall. I never felt we'd be fall to 7th, or lose sight of top four with Louie. But we were mind numbingly boring. I was at Old Trafford against West Ham and I remember struggling against the atmosphere. It was more about the history, the glory of the past. The football was dreadful. Walking to the pub after the match with the bloke behind me chanting "Louis Van Gaal's Sh*te Army". The shadow had returned hung over it all. Mourinho was about to be sacked. Some drunk fella thought I was Bastian Schweinsteiger himself and started to berate me in the loo. Next week it was the Jose scarves on sale at Old Trafford. Maybe, I could finally have a pee in peace if Jose was in charge.

Van Gaal was in touching distance of top four, and I do appreciate the FA Cup win. I really wanted top four, as well. But he's gone now. And all I can do now think back to 3 years ago when I heard Sir Alex was retiring and think, it's Jose. It has to be. Now it is. For me, it's meant to be. This is no slight on United's history. I buy not one effing cent into the we've sold out, we've sold our souls, football is dead hysterics of arm waving fanatics. We've got the proper manager, with the proper mentality, I hope, to go forward. It's 3 years ago again. I'm back at the same point I started.
Wonderful post

Natener

I don't care what anyone says: watching José prowling the touchline and living every moment with the players will be infinitely better to watch that having to look at an emotionless van Hoof parked on his seat with that fecking notepad.
We are going to see so much running up and down the touchline in celebration. I wonder how much of Jose slimming down (looking so much thinner at contract signing) is due to him working out in preparation for Anfield next season. :devil:

MrSingh2002

I hereby pledge allegiance to Mourinho. Lets get ready for war. The man I wanted 3 years ago.

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
Just been thinking about how our rivalry with Arsenal will heat up again :devil:

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
We are both born 1963, that's a good sign. Michael Jordan too btw.

With that in mind I saw a humble and proud young man enter a new chapter in his life. Maybe a little bit nervous, probably normal after the circumstances but still nice to see. In my world it means he takes this challenge with highest respect.

Going by his interview it sounds like he knows that he must be respectful to our history and culture to fully succeed. If that a correct observation then he has done his homework properly. What more can we ask for?

Good luck José! Together we shall make it.

Chekhov

Supports
A wife and three kids
I have to admit that I haven't always been a fan of Jose's. But that was all due to his cuntishness. I've never once doubted his genius.

And the man is a coaching genius--at worst on par with the Popoviches and Belichicks of the world, but probably even better. For Pete's sake, the man delivered CL trophies to Porto and Inter!

And this isn't the Jose of the last several years--the Jose who felt unappreciated at Madrid or the bored, unmotivated Jose forced to take the Chelsea gig when he had really wanted to be at OT all along.

No, this is a Jose on a mission--to redeem himself after his sacking, prove himself Pep's superior, and perhaps most significantly show the world that he's always been the only man capable of filling Sir Alex's shoes.

At the very least, he'll restore our swagger. That we can be guaranteed of. And after three years of devolving into a laughing stock, boy will it feel good to be feared again!

Reactions: KM

The best (and biggest) manager in the game finally coming to the biggest club in the world (not trying to start a debate, just excited). It's been a long time coming since SAF left. So happy.

izec

The best (and biggest) manager in the game finally coming to the biggest club in the world (not trying to start a debate, just excited). It's been a long time coming since SAF left. So happy.
How did you get promoted so fast, must be a new record

Status
Not open for further replies.