OFFICIAL: Jose Mourinho is Manchester United manager | Megathread closed, start new Mourinho threads

How do feel about José Mourinho's appointment as Man Utd manager?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

The page reads "Summer with Euro 2016 & Copa America 2016"

Krits

Been incredibly buzzed since this started doing the press rounds, even before it was official. Only fecking problem is, it is going to be a long while before that first match with him on the sidelines. Good thing I have 10 day trip to Africa in the middle to act as distraction.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
For me the jury is definitely is still out.
If you are looking for an experienced manager on the global stage (which I think United most definitely need because of the sheer magnitude of our football club) with a proven track record then Mourinho was probably the best choice available to United. However, Mourinho is not known to produce attacking football, although a more counter attacking style will probably be more appreciated by English fans than the endless passing style LvG preferred. And, if Mourinho's win at all costs philosophy we've seen from him so far produces results, then I think the fans will probably be willing to forgive any negative tactics Mourinho might want to apply.
If we are to start challenging for trophies again then our squad desperately needs strengthening. We have some very promising youngsters, and Rooney is still one of the top 5 players in the world IMO. But, we do need to add 4 or 5 star quality players to the squad, particularly through the axis of the side. Mourinho is not a magician and without adding much needed quality to the squad I'm afraid he won't get very far.
One final thing, I do get the impression that this is the job that Mourinho has always craved. It says something about our football club how much appeal United have, in football I think that only Madrid and Barcelona have that kind of appeal.

stevoc

You are missing a key word. Cheap.
Moyes was always the cheap option. Points per transfer spend was part of the equation. The Glazers went with the cheap option in Moyes (wrongly). Now they are paying EVEN more for Mourinho, three years too late. Am glad he's finally here but our owners are grade A tools.
In what way was Moyes cheap?

First off he himself didn't come cheap as he was something like the 6th highest paid coach in the world at the time (amazingly).

As for transfer budget it was widely reported we had £150m to spend which we did, Moyes just fecked about and didn't have the balls to spend any of it. Following on from days at Everton he waited until the last hours of the window to sign one player. Thats how he operated at Everton and thats why their fans called him dithering Dave.

But we ended up spending over £75m under Moyes after Mata was signed (more than Fergie ever spent in a year) and then spent £150m the summer after. Totaling £225m spent in just over a year so the money was there to spend.

No Moyes was a highly expensive feck up of a decision. You are right though we could have saved a lot of money and time by just appointing Jose 3 years ago.

Rory 7

In what way was Moyes cheap?

First off he himself didn't come cheap as he was something like the 6th highest paid coach in the world at the time (amazingly).

As for transfer budget it was widely reported we had £150m to spend which we did, Moyes just fecked about and didn't have the balls to spend any of it. Following on from days at Everton he waited until the last hours of the window to sign one player. Thats how he operated at Everton and thats why their fans called him dithering Dave.

But we ended up spending over £75m under Moyes after Mata was signed (more than Fergie ever spent in a year) and then spent £150m the summer after. Totaling £225m spent in just over a year so the money was there to spend.

No Moyes was a highly expensive feck up of a decision. You are right though we could have saved a lot of money and time by just appointing Jose 3 years ago.
I think the splurge on Fellaini and Mata covers up what the Glazers had really hoped Moyes would become. They saw him as a coach who performed well on a shoestring at Everton and hoped he could do the same here. His transfers were panic buys. And as for his salary he was well paid but nothing like what Jose would have cost. I'll always believe they saw Moyes as a cheap option.

stevoc

I think the splurge on Fellaini and Mata covers up what the Glazers had really hoped Moyes would become. They saw him as a coach who performed well on a shoestring at Everton and hoped he could do the same here. His transfers were panic buys. And as for his salary he was well paid but nothing like what Jose would have cost. I'll always believe they saw Moyes as a cheap option.
Well Mourinho was/is the best coach in the world so obviously his salary would be bigger than that of a coach who's never actually won anything, But Moyes was on £5m a year at United and Mourinho was on £8m at Chelsea hardly a big difference. And i doubt it would have been a deciding factor in choosing between Jose and Moyes. What's £3m a year to United these days?

That summer Moyes was appointed it was widely reported and has been confirmed by a few decent sources since that we made a £100m bid for Bale and tried to hijack his move to Real but we waited too long. Since Ferguson retired we have spent something like £330m on players, i don't know for sure but thats probably more than Ferguson spent in his entire United career. Those aren't the moves of a club looking to work on a shoe string.

The Glazers are not Morons they know to compete and be in the CL every year United need to spend big.

Rory 7

Well Mourinho was/is the best coach in the world so obviously his salary would be bigger than that of a coach who's never actually won anything, But Moyes was on £5m a year at United and Mourinho was on £8m at Chelsea hardly a big difference. And i doubt it would have been a deciding factor in choosing between Jose and Moyes. What's £3m a year to United these days?

That summer Moyes was appointed it was widely reported and has been confirmed by a few decent sources since that we made a £100m bid for Bale and tried to hijack his move to Real but we waited too long. Since Ferguson retired we have spent something like £330m on players, i don't know for sure but thats probably more than Ferguson spent in his entire United career. Those aren't the moves of a club looking to work on a shoe string.

The Glazers are not Morons they know to compete and be in the CL every year United need to spend big.
The Glazers like making money and if they think they can be successful by spending less they will do that. As any business person would. They enjoyed that for years under Fergie. I honestly think they thought Moyes could keep the golden goose laying those big golden eggs!

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
With Mourinho at United and Pep at City, our preseason friendly against them might be one of the least friendly friendlies ever :lol:
I'll tell you something though, I've never been more excited for pre season in my life!

wwwwww

Been incredibly buzzed since this started doing the press rounds, even before it was official. Only fecking problem is, it is going to be a long while before that first match with him on the sidelines. Good thing I have 10 day trip to Africa in the middle to act as distraction.
I'm going to Earth for a few days too.

Maybe I'll see you there.

Ban

What's the general opinion of Chelsea fans about the whole thing?

For instance in Shedend or some other Chelsea forums?

Do they feel betrayed or something?

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I honestly do think they saw Moyes as a cheaper option at the time. Jose has just signed the most lucrative contract of any manager we've ever had.
There are 101 ways to bleed us dry.

Signing moyes instead of pep/mou due to his salary is cheaper is not one of them

It's 2-3m difference per year at most. It's what rooney makes in a month

Aki_United

Not sure how to feel about this appointment, he is a difficult guy. I am afraid that he will leave us like those other clubs he has managed in the past. He has left his last clubs in peaces. He is a difficult guy and can get problems with some of our players. Look what he did to Iker, he destroyed him. But LvG was well known to cause problems, too. On the other hand it looks like he has wanted this job all the time, maybe he is planing to be a long term option here and wants to change his attitude. Hope we are lukcy and he can behave and bring us back on winning ways. I personally did not have a problem with losing under Moyes and LvG, but with the style of football we played. It was boring to watch and I wanted a coach, who can play entertaining football again. So Top 4 in the next years with some silverware would be ok for me, if we play attacking football again, like we did under Fergie. One thing is for sure, he can attract better players know with his name and Mendez as his agent, but City can also with Pep. Will be an exciting new season. Feck the Euros, give me the new EPL season know. ;)

stevoc

The Glazers like making money and if they think they can be successful by spending less they will do that. As any business person would. They enjoyed that for years under Fergie. I honestly think they thought Moyes could keep the golden goose laying those big golden eggs!
Fair enough mate. I disagree i think if the Glazers and Woodward had chose the new manager instead of deferring the decision to Saf in my opinion we wouldn't have even hired Moyes, but lets leave it there as we're off topic.

SirAF

Ageist
Fair enough mate. I disagree i think if the Glazers and Woodward had chose the new manager instead of deferring the decision to Saf in my opinion we wouldn't have even hired Moyes, but lets leave it there as we're off topic.
I agree. I definitely think that the Glazers and Woodword, with their corporate background, would have (and rightly so) gone for someone with a more impressive CV.

Tiber

I know this site isnt fond of memes and things but I thought this was brilliant :lol:

hobbers

I guess that picture tells us Jose's plans for the month. Scouting in the Euros and the Copa.

Silverman

Its still kind of surreal having Mourinho as manager. Great appointment though, I'm a massive fan of his and I think he'll bring some much needed confidence back.

Ban

Can someone explain to me, how exactly did he 'destroy' Casillas? I keep seeing that but I still dont get it.

MDFC Manager

Not too long, he'll be on the touchline at OT next Sunday

Status
Not open for further replies.