OFFICIAL: Jose Mourinho is Manchester United manager | Megathread closed, start new Mourinho threads

How do feel about José Mourinho's appointment as Man Utd manager?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
Casillias was shit that season, mou called him out. He was spains darling so mou is said to be the villan.

InfiniteBoredom

The signs of Casillas's decline were apparent as far back as 2010. He had a great WC final but were shaky on occasions in the league, and I thought he was regularly underperforming in the El Clasicos and other tough matches. His weakness with high balls and aggressive strikers became more and more apparent as Mourinho's tenure came along, and continued to worsen after he left.

If him instead of Lopez was in goal during our tie with them, I think we'd have won, Nani red card or not.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Can someone explain to me, how exactly did he 'destroy' Casillas? I keep seeing that but I still dont get it.
Cadillac was fading as a player. Jose thought that ,Iker didn't.

Jose dropped him for Antonio Adan,who himself struggled with the limelight of being first choice at Madrid. So the next season ,Jose signed Diego Lopez and benched Iker for most of the season. Lopez impressed when played and was instrumental in that Madrid win at O.T

But stories of disharmony within the Madrid ranks were rampant at this point. Considering that Iker's gf is a journalist, most people think he had something to do with it.

The following season,Jose was gone and Ancelotti was hired. In order to negotiate the gk issue,he played Lopez in the league and Casillas in cups.

A year later Lopez who hadn't done much wrong was sold to A.C. Milan . That was largely viewed as political play by Iker and didn't go down well in Spain.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
The signs of Casillas's decline were apparent as far back as 2010. He had a great WC final but were shaky on occasions in the league, and I thought he was regularly underperforming in the El Clasicos and other tough matches. His weakness with high balls and aggressive strikers became more and more apparent as Mourinho's tenure came along, and continued to worsen after he left.

If him instead of Lopez was in goal during our tie with them, I think we'd have won, Nani red card or not.
This. Lopez was thier MOTM, Van Persie wasted a few good chances. By the time Nani was sent off we should have been 2-3 nil up.

Thepinhead

Long story short. Casillas negotiated with Xavi and Puyol to make el Clasico more friendly, Mourinho found out and was really mad
I've read that Casillas were talking to puyol about how unsaticefied he was about mourinhos tactics. Also Casillas aparently had a girlfriend i think it was who was a journalist. And Mourinho was unhappy about all the things that were leaked to the Press and suspected Casillas to be involved.

But I guess it is two sides of a story. My point is that sometimes I think we give the managers too much of the blame when a player becomes unhappy.

I remember Schmeichel once told about an incidint in 1993 or something with SAF where after a game SAF shouted at Schmeichel in the dressingroom, blaming him for a couple of goals because he kicked the ball towards the wrong player a few times. Schmeichel being who he is thought it was unfair and shouted back. All this happened infront of all the other players.
So SAF called Schmeichel up to his office and basically told him he was done playing for United. Schmeichel knew it was wrong of him to shout at the manager so he went straight back down to the dressingroom saying sorry to the players for his behavior. What Schmeichel didn't know was that SAF stood right outside the door listening and eventually forgave Schmeichel. So had Schmeichel not done that he probably wouldn't have been in the club all those years

Ban

Jose dropped him for Antonio Adan,who himself struggled with the limelight of being first choice at Madrid. So the next season ,Jose signed Diego Lopez and benched Iker for most of the season. Lopez impressed when played and was instrumental in that Madrid win at O.T

But stories of disharmony within the Madrid ranks were rampant at this point. Considering that Iker's gf is a journalist, most people think he had something to do with it.

The following season,Jose was gone and Ancelotti was hired. In order to negotiate the gk issue,he played Lopez in the league and Casillas in cups.

A year later Lopez who hadn't done much wrong was sold to A.C. Milan . That was largely viewed as political play by Iker and didn't go down well in Spain.
So Iker wasn't innocent in the whole story, on the contrary. And his form was fading for a long time as you said.

But yet Mourinho is blamed for somehow 'destroying' him. I guess Mourinho was blamed for everything cause Iker is a darling of Madrid media and the club itself and can do no wrong.
Not to mention ridiculous posts about him leaving clubs in pieces and the sort.

Rory 7

There are 101 ways to bleed us dry.

Signing moyes instead of pep/mou due to his salary is cheaper is not one of them

It's 2-3m difference per year at most. It's what rooney makes in a month
You are missing my point and not seeing the bigger picture. If Moyes had worked out it could and should have been a continuation of the style of budgeting Fergie employed so successfully. I think that is what the owners had hoped back in '13. Long term they hoped Moyes was going to be a cheaper option than the likes of Jose. In my opinion.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus

They'll still always be a favorite amongst US hip hop fans.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Hasn't Casillas been shite in Portugal since?
Some of Casillas' Porto appearances have been awful. The Porto President allegedly slated Casillas' form back in March. Casillas has never been a great goalkeeper. He was, once, a fantastic shot stopper. Casillas has always flapped at crosses though. He has been done for a while, and should never have gone to the 2014 World Cup.

Mourinho's falling out with Casillas was partly political, but the politics started with the football. Casillas could not give Mourinho what he wanted from a goalkeeper. Yet Casillas was too well connected at Madrid for Mourinho to sideline and control. With Casillas' direct line to the power brokers at the Bernabeu, he was always in a position to undermine Mou. The less Mou tolerated Casillas' poor form, the more he had to worry about Casillas trying to chip away at his authority. This whole thing about talking to the Barcelona players probably just underlined that in Mou's mind.

Its funny that Jose has never had these problems at clubs where he's in complete control. At Porto and Inter he is still loved. The Porto board was unhappy with the way Mou secretly negotiated to join Chelsea, but there were no major bust ups that I remember. Moratti's sister made clear that Inter would happily let Mou walk back into the club too. Mourinho only blows up where there's an Abramovich or a Perez figure interfering with him. At Man United, where the players can't go running to the Glazers' to complain about how he takes decisions, I am sure Mourinho will thrive.

vk20legend

Its funny that Jose has never had these problems at clubs where he's in complete control. At Porto and Inter he is still loved. The Porto board was unhappy with the way Mou secretly negotiated to join Chelsea, but there were no major bust ups that I remember. Moratti's sister made clear that Inter would happily let Mou walk back into the club too. Mourinho only blows up where there's an Abramovich or a Perez figure interfering with him. At Man United, where the players can't go running to the Glazers' to complain about how he takes decisions, I am sure Mourinho will thrive.
This is what I am hoping too. A chance to work in an environment where manager has the last word and the manager not worried about each of his footballing decisions under scrutiny would give Jose a perfect place to thrive long term.

That is why I feel he always wanted this job more than others.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
So Iker wasn't innocent in the whole story, on the contrary. And his form was fading for a long time as you said.

But yet Mourinho is blamed for somehow 'destroying' him. I guess Mourinho was blamed for everything cause Iker is a darling of Madrid media and the club itself and can do no wrong.
Not to mention ridiculous posts about him leaving clubs in pieces and the sort.
Jose fell out with a couple of players at Madrid,but even then I thought he was in the right about Casillas.He was in very poor form but had too much political clout . None of the managers before Jose got there were willing to deal with that issue. Madrid eventually saw this too and dumped him unceremoniously last year.

Everyone saw how poor Iker was at the 2014 world cup. But he had been like that for a while yet. How he still plays for Spain,and ahead of De Gea too amazes me.

Red Ryan

Starter of Rubbish Threads
Gareth Bale mentioned that Benitez was making headway in breaking down the cliques in the office.

vk20legend

Gareth Bale mentioned that Benitez was making headway in breaking down the cliques in the office.
Then he got the sack.. I am sure for a player maybe playing for Madrid might have all the attraction, but a manager would really not look forward to it much.

The list of managers who have been shown the door is unbelievable. Jose, Ancellotti, Del Bosque, Benitez. Three of the four even won them UCL titles or League.. Mind boggles..

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
This is what I am hoping too. A chance to work in an environment where manager has the last word and the manager not worried about each of his footballing decisions under scrutiny would give Jose a perfect place to thrive long term.

That is why I feel he always wanted this job more than others.
I agree. I think, in Mou's mind, Manchester United has always been the perfect job.

I believe Mou likes the idea that Manchester United is seen to do things 'the right way'. Even in the disappointing past three years, the club has backed its managers far more than any club of comparable size would. Those managers have had money to spend, and a free hand to change the playing style and personnel of the club. At any other club on a similar level to Man Utd that would've been impossible. A director of football may have intervened to stop the sale of certain players, or a popularity seeking President or billionaire owner may have demanded marquee signings were made to work.

Mourinho knows that Manchester United's philosophy makes the manager the biggest man at the club. He knows the club's board believes that is the root of its success, and he believes it himself. As I pointed out earlier, wherever Mou has been able to manage without interference has thrived. Its no surprise to me that Mou's two European Cup wins came at the two clubs where he didn't have to play politics. Hopefully that trend will continue here, and his free hand at United will lead to another European Cup for this club.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
You are missing my point and not seeing the bigger picture. If Moyes had worked out it could and should have been a continuation of the style of budgeting Fergie employed so successfully. I think that is what the owners had hoped back in '13. Long term they hoped Moyes was going to be a cheaper option than the likes of Jose. In my opinion.
The thing is. Jose net spend is actually less than moyes and lvg combined. And that's all time net spend.

Even if you put ronaldo on his tab he make a good purchase.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
Anything better or equal to top 4 would be good in the first season. LvG will claim to have lowered expectations ready for him and he should be thankful.

Loon

:lol:
I hope he gets a mouse mat like Moysie. Wonder when he officially starts work at OT?

rotherham_red

I'm expecting a title challenge. The players we have really aren't as bad as have been made out this past season, IMO.

Revan

Assumptionman
The Glazers like making money and if they think they can be successful by spending less they will do that. As any business person would. They enjoyed that for years under Fergie. I honestly think they thought Moyes could keep the golden goose laying those big golden eggs!
Nope. They have never shown that they are interested on getting significant dividends from the club. The plan all along was making the value of the club high and then when needed sell stocks. Even under Moyes, we offered more than Madrid to Bale, so the Moyes was the cheap option makes sense only in 'Glazers are evil and we hate Glazers so they are to blame for everything, but because we know that Fergie made this choice, we have to make something up even if it goes against any fact' agenda.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
WOW! JOSE MOURINHO tackles in FIFA Legends Game!!

New Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho ran on the pitch to make a tackle at a FIFA Legends match! What do you think? If you think it deserves a WOW! status LIKE it, and if you know of a better WOW! moment from a FIFA tournament then COMMENT. We may even publish your WOW! suggestion.
Kill me.

Status
Not open for further replies.