OFFICIAL: Jose Mourinho is Manchester United manager | Megathread closed, start new Mourinho threads

How do feel about José Mourinho's appointment as Man Utd manager?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Wow Real Madrid have won two cls over three years and this is their 11th while we sit on a hard fought 3 CLs and don't even have a shot at it until the season after next... Saw a Madrid fan yawning during the celebrations, it's that common for them to win this stuff... Extremely jealous.

Make us great again Jose.

Unlikely lad

Just read an interview with José in a magazine, seems to have happened about a month ago.

He stressed that stability is important, but only the manager wants it in today's football-world; not the agents, players, media... Not even clubs, although he adds that some of them do. I'm quietly hopeful that he'll be here for the long run.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Not the boiled ones, in any case.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I have to say I am so relieved I wont be seeing Vangle at the pressers anymore. I already feel more confident hearing Mourinho's words on his will to win. We really have lacked this for the past three years.
In fairness, when LVG first came to MUFC, he said that he wants to win the league title.
As the months wore on, he re-appraised his aims/targets and stated that we all need to reduce our expectations and that 4th place or FA Cup is what we should be targeting from now on [something you'd expect a Spurs or Everton manager to say].

Like with Fergie before him, Jose would see getting 4th as a complete failure.

The only surprise in the 'Jose to MUFC' saga, is why LVG seemed to so surprised that he was sacked. Moyes also expressed the same feeling.
What is Woodward telling these managers (who are on the verge of being sacked), to make them feel so comfortable?

saivet

Wow Real Madrid have won two cls over three years and this is their 11th while we sit on a hard fought 3 CLs and don't even have a shot at it until the season after next... Saw a Madrid fan yawning during the celebrations, it's that common for them to win this stuff... Extremely jealous.

Make us great again Jose.
And people say he leaves clubs in a mess. Jose built the foundations to both of those CL wins. The same with Chelsea's one. He truly has earned 5 CL titles in his career.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Mourinho will add troubles in the team, and will work only shortsightended.
giving him the job wont fix all the problems united has.
the downfall will continue.
Oh yeah baby.
And the only way we can stop the downfall is to hire Giggs. Right? :p

sunama

Baghdad Bob
And people say he leaves clubs in a mess. Jose built the foundations to both of those CL wins. The same with Chelsea's one.
The "he will destroy our club" rhetoric is ridiculous.
I would love it, if he left our team in such a way that we could win 2 CLs, within 5 years of him leaving our club.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Summit: "Right you cnuts, sit the feck down and shut the feck up."
Giggs: "I demand a new wimple and to be called Sir Ryan from now on."
Summit: "I demand a single day where I don't smack a bitch, but it looks like I'm not going to get that either if you carry on talking."
Mourinho: "lol this is amazing."

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
The "he will destroy our club" rhetoric is ridiculous.
I would love it, if he left our team in such a way that we could win 2 CLs, within 5 years of him leaving our club.
Not sure I see Chelsea doing that.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Summit: "Right you cnuts, sit the feck down and shut the feck up."
Giggs: "I demand a new wimple and to be called Sir Ryan from now on."
Summit: "I demand a single day where I don't smack a bitch, but it looks like I'm not going to get that either if you carry on talking."
Mourinho: "lol this is amazing."
:lol:

stevoc

And people say he leaves clubs in a mess. Jose built the foundations to both of those CL wins. The same with Chelsea's one. He truly has earned 5 CL titles in his career.
Not sure he can take much credit for Chelsea winning the CL in 2012 5 years after he left the club.

Agila Dathi

I think this was the right hire - if Pochettino couldn't be gotten - but I am a bit concerned that Mourinho didn't rate Filipe Luis and De Bruyne who might both get into a world 23, since I can't think of a better LB backup for Alaba, except maybe Alba or Marcelo who are both defensively a bit inconsistent, and De Bruyne is basically fighting Ozil to be the best full-time 10 since James has been marginalized at Real.

I know people have discussed Mourinho choosing Oscar over De Bruyne and a super old Ivanovic (!) over Filipe Luis (with Azpilicueta playing his natural right side) but christ do they look like bad decisions.
IIRC De Bruyne was homesick and wasn't ready to fight for his place in the team. Meanwhile Oscar was doing good so there was no point in playing a crying kid instead of him.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Van Gaal deservedly, gets none of the credit for the success Barça and Bayern enjoyed after his tenure. Really don't see the difference with Mourinho. Anybody remember his last season at Real Madrid which was an absolute meltdown domestically.

InfiniteBoredom

Van Gaal deservedly, gets none of the credit for the success Barça and Bayern enjoyed after his tenure. Really don't see the difference with Mourinho. Anybody remember his last season at Real Madrid which was an absolute meltdown domestically.
Plenty of people praised him for 'leaving the foundation' for Bayern CL win, Muller BFS etc... Or at Barca, playing Xavi Iniesta Valdez.

Same people, mostly the media, demonize Mourinho for 'leaving his clubs in a mess', despite the fact that only Inter so far has fallen off long term, and you'd be mental to chalk it up to him.

Both of them shouldn't get any credit, any coach is only responsible for his own team, which is why the chatter of 'Frogie made it hard for Moyes' does my head in. However, there's clearly a double standard and false narrative applied to JoMo when it comes to his legacy at past teams.

Seveneric

It's his first season and with the work to be done on the team, surprised people are expecting a challenge. My expectation is a comfortable top 4 finish. A title challenge comes the next season

nick2004

It's his first season and with the work to be done on the team, surprised people are expecting a challenge. My expectation is a comfortable top 4 finish. A title challenge comes the next season
I expect us to win it all!

Leicester and Spurs are not going to be champions next year and we finished with equal points to City and there is no reason we won't beat them next year.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

Last edited:

Mr Smith

To be fair, there's been a pretty significant turnover in playing staff between when Jose left and now; only about half of the starting players last night were Mourinho players, and far less were his signings.

Largely agree with you on their 2014 victory though, seemed like Jose was unlucky to leave just as Barca lost their mojo. On the other hand, they weren't winning going to win any Champions Leagues while he was still there, the fissures he created in that dressing room through his treatment of Casillas basically ruined his time there.

Raul Madrid

He did well to help Madrid overcome their difficulties in Europe and get them to three CL semi-finals. Madrid certainly gained confidence and experience from that, which was important in Madrid's CL wins. He wasn't the man to finish the job though, so saying "he truly earned 5 CL titles in his career" is overstating his importance and is just wrong.

Last edited:

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
He did well to help Madrid overcome their difficulties in Europe and get them to three CL semi-finals. Madrid certainly gained confidence and experience from that, which was important in Madrid's CL wins. He wasn't the man to finish the job though, so saying "he truly earned 5 CL titles in his career" is overstating his importance and is just wrong.
I think there is a bit of sarcasm in that considering that another poster once attributed Spain and Germany world cup wins to Van Gaal.

But Jose helped Real get over their last 16 hoodoo. It's simply nonsense that He leaves his teams in a mess.

Congratulations on the 11th European cup btw

Raul Madrid

I think there is a bit of sarcasm in that considering that another poster once attributed Spain and Germany world cup wins to Van Gaal.

But Jose helped Real get over their last 16 hoodoo. It's simply nonsense that He leaves his teams in a mess.
If he was being sarcastic, then my bad. I agree that he doesn't leave teams in a mess, Madrid and Chelsea (his first stint) were both strong after he left.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
It's galling to see that on the pitch, Madrid are making title challenges and winning CLs, meanwhile we (who, in terms of club size, supporters, brand, income etc, MUFC rank alongside Madrid) are challenging for 4th place and the FA Cup title.
Bale moved to Real in 2013 (he could've joined MUFC) and within that short space of time, he won 2 CLs. He certainly made the right choice.

Around 6 months ago, a poster on this forum asked why any player would want to join Madrid (vs MUFC). I gave logical reasons and got a lot of abuse from several posters. Unfortunately MUFC fans were deluded into thinking we were more attractive for new players, than Madrid.
In any case, I am now hoping that over the next few years (the effect will not be instant), Jose can take us back to the pinnacle of World football where we are competing in the same games and for the same trophies as Madrid, Barca, Bayern, PSG, etc (ie. league titles and CL).

I genuinely believe that he will be here for the long term and that Woodward is going to back him heavily, if only because this is the final card Woodward has to play.

Oneunited26

It's galling to see that on the pitch, Madrid are making title challenges and winning CLs, meanwhile we (who, in terms of club size, supporters, brand, income etc, MUFC rank alongside Madrid) are challenging for 4th place and the FA Cup title.
Bale moved to Real in 2013 (he could've joined MUFC) and within that short space of time, he won 2 CLs. He certainly made the right choice.

Around 6 months ago, a poster on this forum asked why any player would want to join Madrid (vs MUFC). I gave logical reasons and got a lot of abuse from several posters. Unfortunately MUFC fans were deluded into thinking we were more attractive for new players, than Madrid.
In any case, I am now hoping that over the next few years (the effect will not be instant), Jose can take us back to the pinnacle of World football where we are competing in the same games and for the same trophies as Madrid, Barca, Bayern, PSG, etc (ie. league titles and CL).

I genuinely believe that he will be here for the long term and that Woodward is going to back him heavily, if only because this is the final card Woodward has to play.
Between 2006-09 I would have said that, 6 months ago not a chance. The circus? or VG's united? the circus still sounds like a better option, while VG sounds like a toxic joke. United are much like stark house at the moment, a name that is was one of the most powerful have fallen from grace and needs a few years to start becoming a powerful name again. Still in some ways MUFC are very much underachievers in Europe, where you look at Real Madrid their history is quiet simply at a level that is in a league of their own. Jose's drive I feel is getting our CL record in much better shape, because liverpool fans do love holding onto that CL number 5-3, hell on facebook how many loved saying 11-3 to real madrid over us

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
We've been a parochial club for decades, with accordant international (relative) failure. "The world's biggest club" that nevertheless rarely signs global superstars, a club with a laudable and famed penchant for youth; but this tradition also means that the owners' money is kept in pocket. Few of our modern greats are truly world class (where are their honours on the international stage?) and this is reflected in us winning a mere two European Cups in recent times. The captain and fulcrum of our team hasn't even won our Player of the Year award for six years and has never been top scorer in the Premier League. I could go on, but my conclusion is that we need to be realistic. Even the great José needs a miracle - and an organisation's change of mindset and attitude - in order to succeed at the highest level for clubs. We'll probably do well domestically but that's about it.

rotherham_red

We've been a parochial club for decades, with accordant international (relative) failure. "The world's biggest club" that nevertheless rarely signs global superstars, a club with a laudable and famed penchant for youth; but this tradition also means that the owners' money is kept in pocket. Few of our modern greats are truly world class (where are their honours on the international stage?) and this is reflected in us winning a mere two European Cups in recent times. The captain and fulcrum of our team hasn't even won our Player of the Year award for six years and has never been top scorer in the Premier League. I could go on, but my conclusion is that we need to be realistic. Even the great José needs a miracle - and an organisation's change of mindset and attitude - in order to succeed at the highest level for clubs. We'll probably do well domestically but that's about it.
The thing that really annoys me about this is that the both times we won the thing and were finally in a position of strength to get to the next level, we didn't and instead rested on our laurels.

Barca and Madrid don't do that, and if Jose can ever deliver us the CL, I would think or hope, that is the one big change he will oversee for us.

MichaelKorleone

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Good article in Telegraph. The Times one is behind a paywall. There was a 17-page article in The Blizzard Issue Eight about Maureen's **** of Personality. Interesting read.
It wasn't for me and i don't subscribe to the times. There's one quote that stood out for me from the article in the telegraph:

"I only go to war with those i can trust.'' It was in the context of his players but now it might as well be in the context of his coaching staff.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Don't have a subscription and I was able to read it.
What does he mean by "going to war"?

Status
Not open for further replies.