OMG.. Has anyone seen Rafa's Friday press conference?

dicko

Why Liverpool are actually punching above their weight, despite what the critics are saying - MirrorFootball.co.uk

Even the most pro-Rafa Benitez fans are losing faith and perhaps, on the surface, any other reaction appears illogical.

But what are the real reasons behind Liverpool’s decline? Results are the consequence of a complex set of circumstances behind the scenes, but the majority cannot see beyond the surface and what they wrongly perceive as simple failings at managerial level.

Voices in the media have decided in unison that Benitez is to blame and the Liverpool fans are starting to repeat that mantra – despite spending months accusing the press of an anti-Liverpool bias. Aside from the odd exception, the media is not anti-Rafa, nor are they to blame for the difficulties at Anfield. But they can lead opinion and have Benitez in their sights.

I’m afraid I cannot agree with the majority. Primarily, it’s worth remembering that Liverpool has one of the top managers in the world at the helm.

The figure of £280million that gets repeatedly churned out is deliberately misleading – and the fact is, Rafa has spent an average of £16m net for every year in charge at the club. It is absurd to think that Pep Guardiola or Jose Mourinho would be able to compete for a Premier League title with that expenditure.

I know for a fact that Mourinho is very well informed about the financial situation at Anfield: he knows that in order for Liverpool to compete at the top in the wealthiest league in the world, new investment is needed but there is nothing on the horizon. Consequently, it is neither an attractive proposition nor an option for Jose.

Liverpool has no money for January transfers, so Rafa’s target is to get key players - Gerrard, Torres and Aquilani – fit enough to contribute in a run of matches: allowing him to play his first choice team and notch up the four or five consecutive wins that will silence the critics.

If Liverpool were not called Liverpool, they’d be receiving praise for punching above their weight. The burden of history behind that name dictates the emotions of the fans and influences those who lead opinion. I would argue that, given the owners emphasis upon reducing the debt instead of improving the squad, this Liverpool side has been over-achieving rather than under-performing.

The manager has to work with inferior resources to every other club expected to win the title – lower even than some clubs expected to finish in the top six – and must therefore pull everything together to follow a steady path toward long-term success.

Liverpool football club is at a crossroads and, disappointingly, the allure of instant gratification is persuading too many fans that there must be some magical shortcut preferable to the road of steady progress down which Rafa is trying to lead the club.

Gulliem Balague's column appears in association with Signed Football Memorabilia from the world's greatest footballers
They love quoting how Aquilani is a key player. How much has he played so far? Is that enough to be considered a key player?

Alex

He is a key player in their excuses if he was fit they'd be in the CL stilll and top of the league

Eriku

"But what are the real reasons behind Liverpool’s decline?"

Decline? They've lucked out on a few occasions, and had an above par season in 08-09. I fecking hate journos.

championo

Top Stalker
Less penalties, less red cards for opponents. Some of us predicted this some months ago.
Amazing innit? They went through the whole of last season without one red card. The law of averages catches up. :nervous: (I hope we are exempt or else our period without winning anything will be really long) lol

x42bn6

They love quoting how Aquilani is a key player. How much has he played so far? Is that enough to be considered a key player?
£30m man, innit?

Liverpool had their best season in a long time while we were awful last season - our worst was still better than their best. They were never going to perform as well as they did last season after losing Alonso, and we're seeing that now.

prateik

£30m man, innit?

Liverpool had their best season in a long time while we were awful last season - our worst was still better than their best. They were never going to perform as well as they did last season after losing Alonso, and we're seeing that now.
its the owners you know
rafa is a saint
YAWN

yanks out

Rahul

Heard he had another bit of a crazy moment at the post-match interview. Anybody know what was said ?

Something about his "guarantee" or something.

rednev

There is non worthy of worship except God
....His reaction was not on a par to last season's infamous 'Rafa rant', but it was almost as cold as a snowy night in the Midlands, as he told Sky Sports 1: "The manager has to have confidence in his team so he has to say that we will finish in the top four.

"I have to be the first one to believe so they (the players) will believe.

"I was really pleased because we couldn't give something to our fans when we played against Portsmouth so I am really pleased for them because it was bad weather and I think that they will come back to Liverpool and enjoy today."

When pushed further on his guarantee of a place in the top four, he said: "What do you have to do? As a manager of the team you have to believe in the players.

"I was really surprised a lot of people are talking about it like, 'oh Rafa is taking the pressure off his players'. You have to do it like this because I am the manager."

When asked about suggestions he would resign if Liverpool do not qualify for the Champions League, he said: "I don't see any journalist making a mistake and resigning, so every time that you ask me the same, I will ask you the same."...
Sky Sports | Home | Your View | Benitez shock at reaction

Danish Voice

This is what he said:

On his much-publicised 'guarantee' that Liverpool will finish in the top four, Benitez added: "You have some experience as a journalist. What do you think a manager will say? People are surprised because I say I guarantee. But I am a manager, I have to believe and I believe 100 per cent we'll be in the top four."

Laphroaig

On his much-publicised 'guarantee' that Liverpool will finish in the top four, Benitez added: "You have some experience as a journalist. What do you think a manager will say? People are surprised because I say I guarantee. But I am a manager, I have to believe and I believe 100 per cent we'll be in the top four."
That's well and good and quite obvious, the problem is that by this he's telling his players not to believe him when he talks them up.

Widnes

£30m man, innit?

sorry mate your talking rubbish, not about liverpool having there best season for a long time because that is clearly true but just because he lost the European Cup final to Barcelona and had a couple of of poor games against Liverpool people dismiss what we actually achieved last season, we finished up with 90 points that certainly wasn't our worst.

kietotheworld

Maybe in terms of points but in terms of performances 06/07 and 07/08 were much better.

x42bn6

Was it?

I was under the impression you hadn't reached 90 points since 2001/2 or so.

Funny sort of dire, that.
We were never consistently convincing in the league; in patches perhaps, but more often than not those 1-0 wins and 0-0 draws with van der Sar keeping all those clean sheets were the only things we had going for us. Our goal difference was the worst since 2005-2006 and goals scored 2004-2005. We were rather average away from home, scoring only 25, comfortably worse than everyone in the top 6 besides Everton (24).

When I mentioned "worst", I was obviously not talking about point tallies anyway.

Sam.G

We were never consistently convincing in the league; in patches perhaps, but more often than not those 1-0 wins and 0-0 draws with van der Sar keeping all those clean sheets were the only things we had going for us. Our goal difference was the worst since 2005-2006 and goals scored 2004-2005. We were rather average away from home, scoring only 25, comfortably worse than everyone in the top 6 besides Everton (24).

When I mentioned "worst", I was obviously not talking about point tallies anyway.
Fair enough. But points on the board is all that matters come May regardless of your for and against.

I do agree you scraped some results last season that you are not doing so this one. It's down to Ronaldo to me. And your defensive injury crisis of course.

Laphroaig

What would you consider a successful season?

Pretty triangles or 90 points in the league?
Our attacking football wasn't too exciting, so I suppose that's where the feeling of underachievement comes from. We had Ronaldo, Rooney, Giggs, Berbatov and Tevez, yet scored 68 goals whereas we had scored 80 or more the two previous seasons. (We've only scored less than that three seasons after the league became "the premier league". Twice finishing third, in the early 90s we won it with 67 goals scored - and that in 42 games.)

We were never consistently convincing in the league; in patches perhaps, but more often than not those 1-0 wins and 0-0 draws with van der Sar keeping all those clean sheets were the only things we had going for us.
The defenders deserve as much, if not even more, credit than VDS. He produced a bewilderingly miniscule amount of saves during that clean sheet run.

TheReligion

Abusive
Fair enough. But points on the board is all that matters come May regardless of your for and against.

I do agree you scraped some results last season that you are not doing so this one. It's down to Ronaldo to me. And your defensive injury crisis of course.
Our points tally this time last season compared to now is very similar, we may have lost a few, but we have turned draws into wins...

Sam.G

Our points tally this time last season compared to now is very similar, we may have lost a few, but we have turned draws into wins...
Righto.

I am not sure you will get 50 points in the second half of this season though. From memory you had played all your tough away games at this point last season. Not the case this one.

TheReligion

Abusive
Righto.

I am not sure you will get 50 points in the second half of this season though. From memory you had played all your tough away games at this point last season. Not the case this one.
Well it's not righto really, its fact, have a look?

Be interested to see the difference in your points total to be honest...

Well, out of the top 4 (if you include Liverpool) we only have to travel to the Emirates, the rest are at home.

Spurs at home, Villa and City away

Sam.G

Well, out of the top 4 (if you include Liverpool) we only have to travel to the Emirates, the rest are at home.

I think you may have misinterpreted my 'righto'; it was not denouncing what you said. It was more of an 'I see'.

I will take your word on the similar points tallies.

But as I say, judging on what I have seen of Utd, I will be very surprised if they get to anything like 90 points at the end of this season. Just my opinion of course.

Laphroaig

He's making some decent points though. You're right that the points totals after 19 games were similar, 41 then and 40 now. However we collected 49 points in the second half of the previous season. This season we've yet to play at Villa, Everton, Arsenal and City. Last season we'd played at the top three, and Everton, Villa, Spurs and City when we were halfways through. Incredible that.

However we've good reasons to be optimistic; I doubt the champions will need 90 pts this season, and a major reason for our loss of points thus far has been the makeshift defense. We'll probably be luckier in that regard during the last half.

kietotheworld

I'm going to assume you're talking about League matches only because otherwise 07/08 was almost indisputably much more successful.

Nice football + winning the League with 89 points + no humiliating defeats is much more successful for me than winning the League scoring less goals than we have for years, grinding teams down, suffering the most humiliating defeat in years, and getting 90 points.

If you look at football as a maths equation we had more success in the League in 08/09, if you look at it as a United fan, 06/07 and 07/08 were more successful.

Northstand

If you look at football as a maths equation we had more success in the League in 08/09, if you look at it as a United fan, 06/07 and 07/08 were more successful.
Really does show how spoilt we've become though doesn't it? 90 points in winning the league, Carling Cup winners (this is almost treated as a Community Shield these days, which we also won, incidentally), World Club Cup winners (am I being cynical in thinking more would have been made of that if one of our rivals had won it), FA Cup semi-finalists, robbed by a blatant penalty turned down, and Champions League finalists. I'm going to stick my neck out and say that was a pretty successful season!

For me 2006-07 was special because we hadn't won the league in the previous three years, which under Fergie was a veritable drought, but United were still pretty awesome for most of last season, albeit with a different style of play.

Kraftwerker

Formerly RedAddict

I think the thing people are getting at here Sam is that we were absolutely dire, in the first half of the season at least (and towards the end, though by then it didn't matter so much). We should have been dead and buried in the league by Christmas, and any decent side would have done so, but we were lucky because our two main rivals were managed by a fat Spanish joke and a clueless Brazilian. Then of course there was the rant which seemed to inspire us onto our best winning run in years, whilst also heaping unneccessary pressure on your own side.

Regardless, we were shit for half the season and the end of the season too. I always said a Mourinho Chelsea would have killed us off by Christmas, and we'd never have had the hope or confidence to go on a winning run after Christmas. Instead, everything Liverpool did, whether it was dropping silly points at home, ranting in the press, or just being Liverpool, seemed to stir us up and inspire us. So we've got you guys to thank for number 18 really. It couldn't have happened without you. :D

Btw, nice to see you back after the victory last night. Haven't seen you around for weeks. :)