OT EVACUATED | Device signed as having been recovered, could NOT be detected by sniffer dogs

MDFC Manager

I'd like all the posters who were crying SHAMBLES and EMBARRASSING to come in here and apologise to the normal people.
Hah! You'll be waiting a long time for that. And I'm the meantime there will be more such cries cuz Mourinho hasn't been announced yet

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I wasn't one of those posters and think it's a bit silly to try and link this to the inept way the football team has been run in recent years but does this statement really clarify how a random member of the public spotted this device when no one within the club did within 4 days?
Also, the club doesn't have 76000 employees.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
I wasn't one of those posters and think it's a bit silly to try and link this to the inept way the football team has been run in recent years but does this statement really clarify how a random member of the public spotted this device when no one within the club did within 4 days?
Cleaners must have cleaned before the training, and we use sniffer dogs so probably don't investigate everywhere thoroughly. They'd go in bathroom, not detect anything due to no explosive and move on. We don't know where exactly the device was placed. If it was in a cubicle then would require someone to go in that cubicle which'd most likely either be a cleaner which goes back to the first point.

Redguern

Why just not use something that is obviously not a bomb? It seems ridiculous that they used such a life like object. A packet of Monster Munch would have done the job, the people who being trained know its all pretend anyway, so why does the bomb need to look like a bomb.
What if terrorists start using explosive packets of monster munch?
:lol::lol::lol:

a) Well shows they need some extra training on where to look.
b) Funny how that works.

Remember reading once about some drug enforcement officers using drug sniffing dogs at a school as a training exercise. They used some actual packets of drugs (from evidence locker or old cases or something) and hid them around the school (it was during summer while school was out). But did the same thing the security company did, forgot one of the packages, which was hidden in one of the lockers. Come the fall when school was back in session, kid gets assigned a locker and finds a bag of drugs in it. The kid alerted the nearest teacher of his find.
This is the only part of the story that I find hard to believe :lol::rolleyes:;)

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Then put the directory on the internet. That wouldn't cost much. One extra page on a .gov website.
I like the idea that if you found a bomb you'd just step away and spend ten minutes checking some shitty webpage you couldn't remember the name of rather than calling the police and getting people away from the area.

Ixion

"The contractor had signed the device as having been recovered along with the 13 other devices at the end of the exercise."

Someone should teach them how to count. Or they're just lazy and incompetent. Either way shit is coming their way.

The club will have to evaluate how it went undiscovered for 4 days though yet as soon as fans were allowed into the toilets it was spotted. The stadium is used every day for tours, the megastore, the museum, MUTV etc. It's a bit dodgy something so suspect can be sat in the same stadium for that long.

Will Absolute

Though in fairness, the security company did sign a piece of paper saying they had taken all 13, with 75,000 people in the stadium, would you then trust someones word if they said 'Ah shit, yep, sorry, I will collect it tomorrow'.

Once they found the device it was almost impossible not to order an evacuation.
I'm not criticizing the evacuation. Just saying they'll probably take a few simple steps to stop it happening again.

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
The club will have to evaluate how it went undiscovered for 4 days though yet as soon as fans were allowed into the toilets it was spotted. The stadium is used every day for tours, the megastore, the museum, MUTV etc. It's a bit dodgy something so suspect can be sat in the same stadium for that long.
None of which goes anywhere near the NE quadrant. Which is why the security company would have used that area.

Clearly toilets would have been cleaned after the Norwich game and before Wednesday. Leaving no need for unused toilets to be cleaned again prior to fans arriving on matchday.

steeeb

"The contractor had signed the device as having been recovered along with the 13 other devices at the end of the exercise."

Someone should teach them how to count. Or they're just lazy and incompetent. Either way shit is coming their way.

Regarding how no-one spotted it. Cleaners perhaps should depending on specifics of how it was hidden. But I doubt a random set of toilets in the NW quadrant are used often if st all when no events are on.

pacifictheme

The general fan areas are used on matchdays only. In the tour you go to 2 or 3 parts of the stadium, no parts of the tour take in the matchday toilets, surprisingly.
Seems completely normal to me to not check clean toilets for a few days.

Not being funny but have you been to OT? its fecking massive and the vast majority will be used once a week. The megastore, for example, is in a part of the ground not evacuated (east stand). You wouldn't check toilets between the SAF stand and stretford end to run the megastore. The tour doesn't actually go to that corner either.

The museum is in the north stand, but again, matchday areas are not used. Pretty sure mutv wouldn't be using those toilets either!

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
I wasn't one of those who went with the "embarrasing" tag but, I'm still skeptical as to how it went undetected for 4 days. The club will have to do an internal valuation on that one.

As for the company who carried out the exercise.... Embarrassing

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Not satisfied that it was an error. Hopefully proper investigation.

Ixion

Not being funny but have you been to OT?
Er yeah lots, I was evacuated out of the stadium yesterday too thanks.

I was just pointing out there are people in the stadium every single day for a variety of things, it's not that the stadium was empty since the last home game so device looking like a bomb sat in the stadium for 4 days is concerning. There should be security sweeps before the turnstiles open. People are saying the club has done nothing wrong but I gurantee they will look into this and how it wasn't spotted so it never happens again.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Er yeah lots, I was evacuated out of the stadium yesterday too thanks.

I was just pointing out there are people in the stadium every single day for a variety of things, it's not that the stadium was empty since the last home game so device looking like a bomb sat in the stadium for 4 days is concerning. There should be security sweeps before the turnstiles open.
There were. Did you not read the statement?

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Well i think that security firm will no longer be used. G4S may be available though.
After briefly working for them while at uni and seeing the kind of morons they hire/how badly organised they are, I wouldn't trust them to protect my packed lunch.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The general fan areas are used on matchdays only. In the tour you go to 2 or 3 parts of the stadium, no parts of the tour take in the matchday toilets, surprisingly.
Seems completely normal to me to not check clean toilets for a few days.

Not being funny but have you been to OT? its fecking massive and the vast majority will be used once a week. The megastore, for example, is in a part of the ground not evacuated (east stand). You wouldn't check toilets between the SAF stand and stretford end to run the megastore. The tour doesn't actually go to that corner either.

The museum is in the north stand, but again, matchday areas are not used. Pretty sure mutv wouldn't be using those toilets either!
There is a problem there, the cleaners can't be the last people to check the toilets and every room that can be potentially accessed should be checked afterwards. The security should have checked the toilets after the cleaner passage and after the security exercises.

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
I wasn't one of those who went with the "embarrasing" tag but, I'm still skeptical as to how it went undetected for 4 days. The club will have to do an internal valuation on that one.

As for the company who carried out the exercise.... Embarrassing

Is it normal for stadiums to do complete searches of their grounds every day or two or only right before events? I have no idea. I could easily see areas of the stadium not being looked at for 3 or more days if the area is not being used on daily basis by the public.

Really interested to find out where specifically the device was hidden and how obvious it was. I mean obviously someone saw it on game day, but was it the first person in, the 100th, the 200th and how did they come to notice it? Was it out in the open? Did the person drop something and happen to look down at just the right spot from just the right angle? Did they look up and notice it strapped to an overhead pipe?

I wonder if we will find out all these little details?

Ixion

There were. Did you not read the statement?
Yes, and the sweeps should have found something that a member of the public found. The club isn't to blame but it doesn't mean our procedures are perfect and can't be improved. They will learn lessons from this.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
Is it normal for stadiums to do complete searches of their grounds every day or two or only right before events? I have no idea. I could easily see areas of the stadium not being looked at for 3 or more days if the area is not being used on daily basis by the public.

Really interested to find out where specifically the device was hidden and how obvious it was. I mean obviously someone saw it on game day, but was it the first person in, the 100th, the 200th and how did they come to notice it? Was it out in the open? Did the person drop something and happen to look down at just the right spot from just the right angle? Did they look up and notice it strapped to an overhead pipe?

I wonder if we will find out all these little details?
I'm sure the guy who found it will come out with his story soon enough.

As for searches of the ground.. If a match kicks off at 3pm...

7am - Pitch and Stadium preparation
10am - Police briefing
12pm - United players arrive
1:30pm - Away players arrive.

So, it should have been spotted, by a member of staff, long before it was.

Uniquim

I like the idea that if you found a bomb you'd just step away and spend ten minutes checking some shitty webpage you couldn't remember the name of rather than calling the police and getting people away from the area.
I'm not saying that's the first thing to do, but this thing went on for several hours, and there was a shitload of people involved with it during. If such a system was in place, I'm sure one person could spare a couple of minutes to look up whether or not it was training device without compromising security.

SammyUnited_83

Why would the club care? It was a test ran by outside services company that did not interest the club. They allowed them to use the stadium trusting them to do their job half properly.
In which case it's even worse.

Why allow someone into your ground, which if not correctly coordinated could lead to disaster - yet just take their word they had cleaned up?

The club should have personally checked in and out those devices.

pacifictheme

There is a problem there, the cleaners can't be the last people to check the toilets and every room that can be potentially accessed should be checked afterwards. The security should have checked the toilets after the cleaner passage and after the security exercises.
Sounds like they did.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
A lot of perfectionists here. The stadium was checked by sniffer dogs by United, nothing was found because there was no chemicals to detect.

It's not crazy to expect people to do their jobs you know. Especially when they sign off on it.

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
In which case it's even worse.

Why allow someone into your ground, which if not correctly coordinated could lead to disaster - yet just take their word they had cleaned up?

The club should have personally checked in and out those devices.
Yeah why would you trust an ex-counter terrorism chief?

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
This is sort of reminiscent of stories of surgeons leaving behind instruments, supplies inside of patients. Even when they are supposed to account for everything, people are quite capable of making horrible mistakes.

SammyUnited_83

Yeah why would you trust an ex-counter terrorism chief?
Didn't that kind of thought process get us in this mess.

It's a simple question, why wouldn't you check someone had cleared their shit up, or at least have a plan of what they were doing.

Clueless.

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
Didn't that kind of thought process get us in this mess.

It's a simple question, why wouldn't you check someone had cleared their shit up, or at least have a plan of what they were doing.

Clueless.
But who checks that the person who checked did it right?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Why would the club care? It was a test ran by outside services company that did not interest the club. They allowed them to use the stadium trusting them to do their job half properly.
They probably should have cared though? I mean it's not like they handed them the keys to the local community hall or something, it's Old Trafford.

Surely if they were seen as as a totally unrelated body that had absolutely nothing to do with the club then they shouldn't have been given the run of the place without greater oversight? Alternatively, the club saw them as a group that could be trusted, in which case they have to take at least a small portion of responsibility?