Patrick Vieira | Crystal Palace manager no more, happy St Patrick's Day

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
He has done for most of the season. He's started 20 games in the league this season, including last weekend v Villa.

Dropped to the bench today v Man City because the he went a bit more defensive.
Every time I watch he's a sub. Weird.

He's such a talented player.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
It’s unprecedented that the fixture computer would basically have you play only the teams above you - sometimes twice - for 10 games in a row, then give you the bottom 8 to finish with. I was always nervous about this run of fixtures and was sure that by the end of it we’d be a lot closer to the bottom three and so it’s proved.

I don’t think it’s cause for panic but it really could go either way from here. There are rational reasons to compartmentalise the last 10 games and go again against the bottom 8. Nobody’s really turned us over in this hard run, we have points on the board and a better GD difference than most which suggests we have been competitive.

On the other hand confidence is getting lower every week, we are away at Brighton and Arsenal next which will be tough so I think it’s all on Leicester at home for him. Lose that and I think he’s gone.

It’s very simple for me:

Guaita
Mitchell
Guehi
Andersen
Clyne
Doucoure
Lokonga
Ahamada/Eze depending on the situation
Zaha
Olise
Edouard

That is our best team. He needs to play it. Ayew, Schlupp, Mateta, Milivojevic should be nowhere near starting games for us when creating chances is an issue. Wilf is also absolutely wasted playing at CF. Even with the quality of opponent we have far more quality in the squad than not having a shot on target in three games.

Last edited:

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Don't Palace have one of the worst striker sets in the league? Looked like a huge problem and Zaha is no central player to rectify it.

Vieira seemed to be stuck between a rock and a hard place. After a good start things fell apart. Strange trajectory.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Wow, I’m really surprised because it felt like they were all behind him at palace still. I’m not surprised though when you look at their form. Haven’t won a game in 2023 and in the worst form of any club in the relegation battle. I expect that they think due to the easy run they have at the end compared to others a new manager will come in and give them that ride they need to safety. Interesting to see who it is though. Stop gap or someone long term?

paulscholes18

12 without a win, not many people survive that, also no shots on target in 3 of their last 4 games. 2nd season syndrome for Vieira

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Started very well and at the beginning of the season, there were people writing that Arsenal losing to Palace with Vieira in the dug out would get Arteta sacked.

Blood Mage

Amazing how quickly managers get overhyped after a few good performances. He's crap.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
This thread is great and sums up football and football fans (myself included). Starts with labelling him as crap and even Palace fans being uninspired. Transforms into a manager of the season performance and he’s better than Arteta shouts. Ends in misery. :lol:

RyRy11

Been to a few Palace games this season (In-laws are fans). They have some really talented players but Vieira had them playing some dire football so the writing was on the wall, they are nothing with Zaha and even then he only turns up 50% of the time.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
It didn't feel like Vieira got the chance to freshen up the squad in the summer after a promising season last. Definately seem to miss Conor Gallagher. Also such a difficult run of fixtures. Think he should have been given til end of the season

nainaisson

I really hope they go down. They play like a collection of thugs. Seems like the only players they have with any technical quality are Zaha and Olise, who must be really sick of passing to guys with two left feet.

Such a shame, was rooting for him. They did really well last season, where did it go wrong this season?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Seems harsh. Wasn’t he very good last season? 12th right now.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Be careful what you wish for. Hodgson had them established in the league and they got bored.

ESR10

Supports
Arsenal
Makes sense before the international break.
If they want to play better football, maybe they should hire a gardener. Their pitch is awful for a PL team.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
It is imo, especially when you look at Leicester and West Ham and their managers haven’t been sacked
I don't think they've not been sacked for a noble thing/owners having faith, just that (in Leicester's case at least) it would cost a hell of a lot to sack and they're broke. Leicester City fans have been wanting Rodgers out for a long, long time.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Seems harsh. Wasn’t he very good last season? 12th right now.
He has picked up 5 points in roughly 11 games with no wins in that time.

The last time Palace won they were only a point or two behind Brentford and Brighton and 3 points behind Fulham on 22 points. The bottom 3 were on 12, 13 and 14 points.

They are now 12+ points adrift of those teams I mentioned above them and the team on 12 points are now on 22, the team on 13 points are now on 27 (the same as them) and the team on 14 points are now on 26. They’ve been well and truly sucked into the relegation battle and they have a downward trajectory currently.

TheReligion

Abusive
They have been crying out for a CF that can get goals for years and keep getting the recruiting wrong. From Benteke to Sorloth right the way through to Mateta and Edouard. Just rubbish decisions.

They should have got in Ings or a proven PL goalscorer.

Zaha, Olise, Eze in behind him would look tasty on paper with Doucoure and Amahada sat in.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
ah ffs, another ones of my team’s having to face the new manager bounce.