Patrick Vieira | Crystal Palace manager no more, happy St Patrick's Day

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
It’s a bit of a cliche but if one midtable team is going to get dragged in to the relegation mix, it’s going to be us. In the last 5 we’ve seen heavy losses to Everton, Spurs, and Fulham, and lost again today to the worst Saints side in memory. He was really let down in the summer window where we lost Gallagher, Kouyate and MacArthur (the three first choice centre midfielders) and only signed Doucoure but the team look unfit, disorganised and mentally weak. Some horror fixtures to come in the next 8 games as well, worrying times.
It’s a real shame that Downes ended up at West Ham and not Palace. He’s played well for West Ham (when in his position) every opportunity he’s had, but Moyes just doesn’t fancy
him.
https://www.hammers.news/columnist/...downes-got-to-do-to-get-a-start-for-west-ham/

That’s just a fluff piece but it’s fairy representative of Hammers supporters, they all say the same thing. I know he’s a childhood West Ham supporter but he’d have been perfect for your side

El Zoido

Had a little smile reading my post above as it’s panning out how I thought it might. It’s a bit of a cliche but if one midtable team is going to get dragged in to the relegation mix, it’s going to be us. In the last 5 we’ve seen heavy losses to Everton, Spurs, and Fulham, and lost again today to the worst Saints side in memory. He was really let down in the summer window where we lost Gallagher, Kouyate and MacArthur (the three first choice centre midfielders) and only signed Doucoure but the team look unfit, disorganised and mentally weak. And his persistence in playing Ayew every week is bizarre, he missed from 2 yards today which would have put us 2-0 up and out of sight.

Some horror fixtures to come in the next 8 games as well, worrying times.
Gallagher seems like a big loss but I must admit I haven’t followed your lot too much this season. My boss has a season ticket at Palace but he’s gone a bit quiet talking about it! Is Vieira just doing the best with what he’s got? Seems a shame to not build on the progress of last season, I’d usually watch your games cause you were generally quite exciting to watch.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Sustained success is the sign of a good manager I reckon. Vieira did well last season but struggling a little now, still has some shortcomings.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
Are there any talks to sign anyone this month? I can’t believe you still have players like Ward, Clyne and Ayew still starting games in 2023.
This is partly why the likes of Ward, Clyne and Ayew are still starting unfortunately, we’ve been in the PL for ten seasons and can’t even compete with Watford and Bournemouth financially.

Aside from some early talk of Wan-Bissaka which now won’t be happening I don’t see us doing much more in January sadly, our two American owners are trying to ditch their holding in us and buy a Chelsea/Utd/Liverpool so there’s no chance they’ll be putting much money in. We badly need a new RB and CM as an absolute minimum but it won’t happen.

That said, what we have spent over the last couple of seasons we have spent well, and we have five or six quality players in Andersen, Guehi, Eze, Olise, Zaha and Edouard. That core should be doing better than they are and that’s on Pat.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
It’s a real shame that Downes ended up at West Ham and not Palace. He’s played well for West Ham (when in his position) every opportunity he’s had, but Moyes just doesn’t fancy
him.
https://www.hammers.news/columnist/...downes-got-to-do-to-get-a-start-for-west-ham/

That’s just a fluff piece but it’s fairy representative of Hammers supporters, they all say the same thing. I know he’s a childhood West Ham supporter but he’d have been perfect for your side
Downes would be starting for us every week I’ve got no doubt about that. West Ham signing him could be an unintended masterstroke if we get pulled in to the mix, our midfield is atrocious apart from Doucoure.

Mr. Robot

Another massively overrated young manager just because his teams pass out from the back.

Try doing the basics right as well.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
This is partly why the likes of Ward, Clyne and Ayew are still starting unfortunately, we’ve been in the PL for ten seasons and can’t even compete with Watford and Bournemouth financially.

Aside from some early talk of Wan-Bissaka which now won’t be happening I don’t see us doing much more in January sadly, our two American owners are trying to ditch their holding in us and buy a Chelsea/Utd/Liverpool so there’s no chance they’ll be putting much money in. We badly need a new RB and CM as an absolute minimum but it won’t happen.

That said, what we have spent over the last couple of seasons we have spent well, and we have five or six quality players in Andersen, Guehi, Eze, Olise, Zaha and Edouard. That core should be doing better than they are and that’s on Pat.
Anytime I watch Eze and Olise they look great but I still can't figure out what their best position is. Do you think Vieira is having that same problem? Feels like fitting Olise/Eze/Zaha in the same team means you need a very good CM base behind. I know it's easy with the benefit of hindsight but you probably should have sold Zaha when his stock was high.

Last edited:

mu4c_20le

Another massively overrated young manager just because his teams pass out from the back.

Try doing the basics right as well.
First time I've heard him called young.

Even during his prime he looked 50

Wow that’s shocking, you’ve done well all things considered. You need new owners, I don’t rate American owners at all.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Can anything even be done with a team like Palace?

Beyond stumbling across a golden generation I don't think the team could consistently finish above 9th or 10th, they just don't possess the finances to keep or buy the players required.

United, City, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Spurs, Newcastle are always going to have the means to be above them in most seasons so beyond that the best they can really do is get to about 7th or 8th in a single season.

I'm not sure what Viera can do as a manager there. Perhaps not go out to Southampton in the 3rd round.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
They have the wrong City* legend as manager, Kompany seems to be having Burnley playing well.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Disappointing result today but it's just a mid table team generally having a mid table season isn't it?

Just had a look at fixtures and tough for sure but then again Palace are the sort of team with extra space who can get draws and the odd win v top 6/7 teams, 1-1 at Anfield right at start of the season indicated this.

Can't see you being dragged into relegation danger at all. You only beat Bournemouth away last weekend and at home you've won v us, Leeds, Wolves and also won away to West Ham just before the break so generally a team who can beat most of the bottom half isn't going to be caught by many of them.

TheReligion

Abusive
@Shipperley what’s your biggest issue?

You have some good players I like; Zaha, Doucoure, Eze, Olise. I also rate Anderson at the back.

Surely the rest can’t by that bad? That’s a decent midfield and core by my book.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
Team balance is just totally wrong at the moment really. Mainly through midfield, PV keeps picking Doucoure, Schlupp and Eze in the PL and two of them are a total liability without the ball. Last season we had a midfield three of Kouyate, Gallagher and McArthur and they were full of energy, pressed high and were always up for a scrap, they also gave our creative players a pretty solid base to play from. The current ‘midfield’ is absolute powderpuff in comparison but he’s setting us up in the same way which is madness, Eze is an attacking player and Schlupp was signed as a left-back. The number of times a Spurs player waltzed through our midfield uncontested the other night was embarrassing.

Couple that with full-backs who get a nose bleed crossing the half way line and it leaves us relying on a moment of brilliance from Eze/Olise/Zaha to get results. Jordan Ayew missing sitter after sitter is not helping either but PV plays him every week anyway and leaves players like Edouard on the bench. It’s baffling.

The most frustrating thing for me is that we’re ‘only‘ £50-60m away from having a very good team. Our Americans can seemingly find billions to buy Chelsea but not put that little bit extra in to really move us on. The result of a shambolic summer window is we’re now looking over our shoulders, losing confidence rapidly and worrying about relegation when it didn’t need to be like this. It’s not all PV’s fault either, he’s been dealt a crap hand by the board, but it’s just not working at the moment and he doesn’t seem to have the flexibility to change it up.

Last edited:

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
The result of a shambolic summer window is we’re now looking over our shoulders, losing confidence rapidly and worrying about relegation when it didn’t need to be like this. It’s not all PV’s fault either, he’s been dealt a crap hand by the board, but it’s just not working at the moment and he doesn’t seem to have the flexibility to change it up.
Genuinely sounds a bit like us.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
Genuinely sounds a bit like us.
yeah I can see some parallels with where we’re both at for sure, though I guess we’re arriving at the same point from opposite ends of the spectrum in that you’ve spent quite a lot of money rather badly, and we’ve spent little money relatively well, but nowhere near enough.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Schlupp and Ayew are two absolutely shite players that Vieira seems to very much enjoy
I would be concerned with Schlupp at left back, nevermind starting him in central midfield!

They need to get Gallagher back for the rest of the season and start playing Edouard once they have a better workrate in midfield.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
Schlupp and Ayew are two absolutely shite players that Vieira seems to very much enjoy
My heart sinks every time I see the team sheet and those two are playing, both decent enough squad players but should be nowhere near the starting eleven. We are screaming out for a midfielder to sit in there alongside Doucoure to give Wilf, Olise, Eze and Edouard a platform to play off, it’s so obvious. But even then, I think Pat would still play Ayew.

Am losing confidence in Pat to be honest, I am less and less convinced he knows what he’s doing.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
My heart sinks every time I see the team sheet and those two are playing, both decent enough squad players but should be nowhere near the starting eleven. We are screaming out for a midfielder to sit in there alongside Doucoure to give Wilf, Olise, Eze and Edouard a platform to play off, it’s so obvious. But even then, I think Pat would still play Ayew.

Am losing confidence in Pat to be honest, I am less and less convinced he knows what he’s doing.
Just seen your fixtures until April. That's fecking rough.

United x2, Newcastle, Brighton, Brentford, Liverpool, City, Arsenal and Villa.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
Just seen your fixtures until April. That's fecking rough.

United x2, Newcastle, Brighton, Brentford, Liverpool, City, Arsenal and Villa.
Yep. Not sure where any points are coming from there.

In fact that’s entirely dependent on this window actually, we can give anyone a game if we sign the right midfielder and drop Ayew. If we sign no one we’re bang in trouble.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
What's your expected line up?
Pain’s about right! If it were me:

Guaita

Mitchell
Richards
Guehi
Clyne

Hughes
Doucoure

Olise
Eze
Zaha

Edouard

Knowing PV:

Guaita

Mitchell
Tomkins
Guehi
Clyne

Schlupp
Doucoure
Eze

Ayew
Olise
Zaha

Feeling so apathetic I am not sure I can even be arsed to watch it.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City

Your Vieira comment surprises me !
My buddy is a Palace fan so I pay attention to the results. I have been very impressed with Pat & felt that the quality of the team lets him down.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Chris Richards starting will be interesting, needs a run of starts.

Really interested what happens if Zaha goes end of the season. Will that mean slow descent for Palace to relegation in next year or two or will them weaning off Zaha dependency actually mean others step up with more output?

Hard to tell but they're in more or less position I'd say is realistic with resources and quality of player.

Santos J

Pain’s about right! If it were me:

Guaita

Mitchell
Richards
Guehi
Clyne

Hughes
Doucoure

Olise
Eze
Zaha

Edouard

Knowing PV:

Guaita

Mitchell
Tomkins
Guehi
Clyne

Schlupp
Doucoure
Eze

Ayew
Olise
Zaha

Feeling so apathetic I am not sure I can even be arsed to watch it.
Almost got your wish!

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
A great man and a great manager !

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
:lol:

He finally changed it up tonight and (almost) put the team out that we’ve all been crying out for. Hopefully we can build on that point.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Lucky man bailed out by a wonder goal.. When you think that nothing can worry us putting Schlupp and Ayew on the pitch...

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
Lucky man bailed out by a wonder goal.. When you think that nothing can worry us putting Schlupp and Ayew on the pitch...
On the flipside that DDG save in the first half was also absolutely unreal. Against the majority of keepers in the PL that shot goes in. We were due some luck and I think we were good for a point

croadyman

A great man and a great manager !
Absolutely handed you 3 points on Sunday,we have well and truly fecked any chance of pushing you in second half of season. Ah well down to you and City and hopefully we get the ST in summer to join chase next season

croadyman

On the flipside that DDG save in the first half was also absolutely unreal. Against the majority of keepers in the PL that shot goes in. We were due some luck and I think we were good for a point
You were better team second half,yes we should have had penalty and defended FK better but still didn't do enough to win

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
3 games in a row without a shot on target. Horrendous spell currently

GlasgowCeltic

file him with Lampard and Gerrard, can at least console himself with the knowledge he was a better player than both