6.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

m1y2

for the first 20 minutes he played like absolute monster, it's just that he tends to switch off, play like annoying 6 sloppy passes than come out with something brilliant again only to hit the row z 3 times in 5 minutes... we should get used to it and he must be really glad to have Herrera and also Carrick there to have a freedom do whatever he wants but I think he should definitely work on his consistency..

madRedDevil07

You can also compare Pogba with Costa, Hazard and Luiz while we're at it.
Coutinho played in a midfield 3 when lallana was injured or in 3 man attacking players behind a sole striker (origi/ Firmino as false 9). Pogba occupies almost same position as of Coutinho in the pitch. IMO, we can compare both of them as they have the same responsibilities in their respective team - get the ball from fellow midfielders and create opportunities for your teammates.

Jib

Coutinho played in a midfield 3 when lallana was injured or in 3 man attacking players behind a sole striker (origi/ Firmino as false 9). Pogba occupies almost same position as of Coutinho in the pitch. IMO, we can compare both of them as they have the same responsibilities in their respective team - get the ball from fellow midfielders and create opportunities for your teammates.
lmao

madRedDevil07

Can someone explain to me what 'He has to learn when to try his tricks and flicks' means?
I don't think I've seen him give the ball away in a dangerous position as of yet?
In the position he plays he always has an outball or a pass back to Carrick / Herrera / left back so should he never try to express himself? When is the best time?
I've never seen a post describing it as the perfect time for a bit of skill when he has given it away. It seems everytime he gives it away that becomes the time not to try it, but when it works out, that becomes the time to try it.
It makes no sense to me.
I think what most posters are trying to say is that when there is a simple forward pass to the wide players ( this option will not necessarily open a major opening but it also has a probability of a major opening if the wide player makes a good dribble or pass), He overlooks that simple pass and goes for an outrageous through ball to Zlatan which would provide zlatan a clear opening for a goal. By trying this, he gives away the possession and the attack breaks down. Then opposition can attack with venom as United already have 3-4 players ( couple of wide players,pogba, zlatan) committed in other half. Similarly when he has a simple through ball to feed to Zlatan, he goes for a 30-40 yard shot. In a nutshell, i think he goes for an assist or a goal instead of a pre-assist or goal.
He should express himself - that's why he is bought for such an astronomical fee but there is a time when to express yourself and when to keep it simple for a key pass but not an assist. He has a lot to learn from Iniesta who gets loads of assist but does not always go for the killer pass.

Jib

You can't compare anyone to Pogba. He is unique. There is no player in the world that look like him. And that's why one day people will compare him to Modric, the next day to Iniesta and then to Coutinho. Pogba is Pogba, accept that and be happy that one of the 10 best players in the world plays here !

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
The uniqueness of Pogba is that he has the vision and attacking prowess of a #10, the positioning and work rate of a #8, the physicality and presence and (when he wants to) the tackling of a #6. With most players you have to compromise, exchange some qualities for others, but the Pog combines it all into one magnifique package.

I wouldn't swap him for any player in his position in the world, and how many players can we honestly say that about in our squad? With the exception of David De GOAT probably no one.

Last edited:

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
He's quite amazing, his vision and technical skills, combined with being a massive tank are a rare combination. Once he works those moments where he lacks concentration out of his game he'll be ridiculous.

Be lucky to get on Spurs bench, mind.....
Indeed, technique like that is usually something you see in small, snappy midfielders, not a huge beast of a man.

His upper body strength still astounds me.

Borden

Start to his career has been worrying and poor. Good he seems to have settled and now affecting games. Still a long way to go before we see similarities with Zidane
Zidane was playing for Bordeaux at 23 and was hardly a world-beater at the time. Pogba is better than Zidane was at 23. That doesn't necessarily mean he'll become the better player, but he certainly has all the attributes to reach Zidane's level.

I didn't think his start was worrying or poor either.

Last edited:

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
You can't compare anyone to Pogba. He is unique. There is no player in the world that look like him. And that's why one day people will compare him to Modric, the next day to Iniesta and then to Coutinho. Pogba is Pogba, accept that and be happy that one of the 10 best players in the world plays here !

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
That's a ludicrously specific set of goals you're setting him. I shared your opinion about his poor form being a big problem in our opening run of games but if you haven't noticed the fact that last night was the culmination of steady improvement and he's been delivering for several weeks now, then I'll have to assume your bias is clouding your judgement.
I don't think it's biased. I think I'm being objective and heavily supported by data. B

We have claims he is the best midfielder in the PL from many because of last nights performance. I dont think thats true yet.

Likewise, my benchmarks are former United midfield greats like Robson, Ince, Keane, Scholes and Carrick. The steady improvement is reassuring and enjoyable but Im simply resisting from what I think is hyperbole. Of course, its simply my opinion and I may be wrong.

Last edited:

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Zidane was playing for Bordeaux at 23 and was hardly a world-beater at the time. Pogba is better than Zidane was at 23. That doesn't necessarily mean he'll become the better player, but he certainly has all the attributes to reach Zidane's level.

I didn't think his start was worrying or poor either.
Lets focus on where we agree :)

I think I get the point of him now. I thought we were getting a box to box machine whereas he's actually a midfield playmaker. Now I've understood that, its easier to judge his performances and progress. Last night, I saw a shadow version of Zidane, hence the comparison, and £90m would be worth it if he can develop into a similar player within a few years.

To develop into such a player, he'll also need his own 'Deschamps' type of water carrier to do his dirty work and 3 fast attackers with excellent ball control ahead of him to feed and inspire. If he can demonstrate rapid development, building the team around him is a risk worth taking.

But there are some big assumptions and if's in that scenario which require more certainty, hence my caution.

Grande

I read this a couple times and I'm not fully sure on what you're tryna say. Are you saying the chip to Rooney wasn't "chipping someone into a good opportunity"? :confused:

And the other part reads as "the chance he created for zlatan was a clear cut chance but less clear cut than others" like :confused:

I hope my reading comprehension has abandoned me because I hope we are not criticising players on creating clear cut chances that are less clear cut chances created by others. I mean I'm not even sure on what a clear cut chance that isn't so clear cut is, but ok. Pogba might have to start dribbling past 8 outfield players plus the goalkeeper and then play the through ball so our strikers and other players outside of zlatan's skill level can score with minimum effort. I mean...what
What I tried to imply was that neither of the two very, very good passes were the kind of 'so brilliant we can forget what he did the rest of the game'.

Grande

We had plenty of passing yesterday but we can't get past their defence because all our attacking players are so immobile. Pogba was the only who had the talent to unlock their defence, and he did it several times. Our football against Palace was throwback to the LVG days, the difference this time was that we had Ibra and Pogba in the team. Of course he's going to lose the ball many times compared to the other outfield players when he's the one trying all the difficult passes. That pass to Rooney was perfect I don't think anyone could have played it better, Rooney cleared fluffed the shot, it was very poor finish, very soft and went to the near post when he was so close to goal.
Agree it was LVG-esque. Agree about lack of movement up front.

Disagree about Pogba and Ibrahimovic being the only ones to open it up. Blind, Herrera, Carrick, Rojo, Bailley, Mata (several times) and Rooney (several times) did well to create dangerous moments.

Disagree that misplaced passes in this game is due to going for the marginal. Many of his lost balls were simple, with small gain and so etimes high risk.

Disagree that Rooney's was a poor shot. He had to shoot on the turn as he was back to goal in a tight spot. Those are missed alot mor often than they are scored.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I don't think it's biased. I think I'm being objective and heavily supported by data. B

We have claims he is the best midfielder in the PL from many because of last nights performance. I dont think thats true yet.

Likewise, my benchmarks are former United midfield greats like Robson, Ince, Keane, Scholes and Carrick. The steady improvement is reassuring and enjoyable but Im simply resisting from what I think is hyperbole. Of course, its simply my opinion and I may be wrong.
In that case you're using the wrong benchmarks to debunk said claims. The contenders for the best midfielders in the PL today are certainly not of the level of the highlighted players. Pogba's competition in this regard are the likes of Kante, Deli Ali, Dembele, Carzola etc.

Pogba's only issue with regards to that claim is A) his pefornances in the games with less space and B) his bad games have been really awful. Then again, noone has the same expectations from Dembele as they do from Pogba.

Mitser

The uniqueness of Pogba is that he has the vision and attacking prowess of a #10, the positioning and work rate of a #8, the physicality and presence and (when he wants to) the tackling of a #6. With most players you have to compromise, exchange some qualities for others, but the Pog combines it all into one magnifique package.

I wouldn't swap him for any player in his position in the world, and how many players can we honestly say that about in our squad? With the exception of David De GOAT probably no one.
Great post.
I might add that he's meant to be a monster in training too, serious work ethic. Given his galactico status that will be a particularly positive squad influence generally, plus he also helps us retain and attract top talent at the club.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
In that case you're using the wrong benchmarks to debunk said claims. The contenders for the best midfielders in the PL today are certainly not of the level of the highlighted players. Pogba's competition in this regard are the likes of Kante, Deli Ali, Dembele, Carzola etc.

Pogba's only issue with regards to that claim is A) his pefornances in the games with less space and B) his bad games have been really awful. Then again, noone has the same expectations from Dembele as they do from Pogba.
Good observation and from that point of view, you'd be right that my comparison set is wrong...

As an aside, its quite depressing at how standards are quite low right now in the PL vs the noughties

SirHenryPercy

Supports
spurs
Did you see him today? He has plenty of football intelligence for a 23 year old. Im pretty certain he will reach Modric's level/exceed it when he reaches his peak

No, Spurs were playing.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
People judge players by final scorelines regardless of their performances.

A player with less skill, talents and having shown less get rated higher than a better player if they happen to be playing in a winning team.

Some players whom aren't even worthy of lacing Pogba's shoes currently get rated higher than him because we're simply lagging behind right now while they happen to be in teams performing better than ours.

But as individual players Pogba is levels above.

Heck take Pogba performances as they've been up until now this season but change our conversion rate in front of goal and you'll have people screaming Pogba is the best thing since slice bread.

Jib

A player with less skill, talents and having shown less get rated higher than a better player if they happen to be playing in a winning team.

Some players whom aren't even worthy of lacing Pogba's shoes currently get rated higher than him because we're simply lagging behind right now while they happen to be in teams performing better than ours.

Heck take Pogba performances as they've been up until now this season but change our conversion rate in front of goal and you'll have people screaming Pogba is the best thing since slice bread.
I totally agree with you

Andy_Cole

Yup a Liverpool fan I know keeps insisting Henderson is better than him.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Watching players try to press him is funny. Just too strong and skillful for most of them

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Real class player. Makes the basics look so easy.

Sylar

Think hes been really good so far. Helping get us out of tricky positions in a defensive position (bar the one that he got robbed on the edge of the box).

Status
Not open for further replies.