6.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Water Melon

Yeah, this is what bothers me... and I know it shouldn't.

I know it's unfair to burden him with that daft price tag, but I just can't help it, it's the pragmatic notion that a player you pay 90m for should be the best player in your fecking team!

I like him, I think he's good, and I think he's a likeable lad who really genuinely wants to be here and make Man Utd a success again. But, I think people are wanting to see greatness in what he's doing so they're just projecting it onto him, when deep down, if they're honest, they know he's been somewhat of a disappointment, thus far.

I mean, can you imagine us with that Gueye fella from Everton, or Kante in a mid 3 with Carrick and Herrera...? We'd be better than we are now!

In fact, I think it's possible that we'd be challenging the Premier League title right now.

And it does bother me that people are saying how we need a top DM to get the best of Pogba, when actually, if we had a top DM instead of Pogba, we'd actually be better (or at least I believe so).
I tend to agree with this. Pog's is a good midfielder, but he is no Roy Keane, Paul Scholes, no Gerrard or Lampard. He is still far below from his top form for Juve. Hopefully, he improves, because so far he looks more like a 30 mil quid player rather than 90 mil. If I was to pick our best midfielder this season, I'd go with Ander. It is really interesting who Mou buys this summer. Will he sign a defensive mid to let Pog play higher up the pitch? Will we play 4-3-3? Will Pog start passing the ball faster? When will his bazookas start hitting the target?

Minimalist

Personally think it's hilarious some thought he played 'great' yesterday. However not a single midfielder did themselves justice yesterday so he's not alone.

I still think he was playing within himself, pretty lazy at times when we needed more and yet again, a big game passes by when he looks unable to get a grip on the game. His defending at set pieces is also shocking and needs coaching.

I find it difficult to post in here without some getting their nickers in a twist. I know Pogba is massively talented, I've seen his flicks and tricks. However, if he wants to be a proper elite player he needs to get his finger out and especially on the big occasions. So far he's failed to do that at every opportunity he's had. Hell even go back to France in the final of Euro 2016.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Interesting analysis from Gary Neville on MNF showing how Pobga's lack of positional discipline allowed Southampton to boss the midfield.

Recurring theme for Pogba this season.

WhoDaGOAT

Interesting analysis from Gary Neville on MNF showing how Pobga's lack of positional discipline allowed Southampton to boss the midfield.

Recurring theme for Pogba this season.
People see what they want to see, apparently.

I thought this was quite obvious during the game. Particularly the 1st half. I'm glad that Neville didn't try to deflect any blame from him.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
I'm amazed that so many people thought he had a good game. For me he was a bit of a mess, which is a fairly common theme in big games. He's got a lot of talent but he plays with the maturity of a child. Yet he's almost 24.

Zoo

Interesting that Gary Neville failed to mention the praise for Pogba from his manager after the game.

SirScholes

Herrera has 8/9 assists to his name so far, to be fair.
I'm not one for stats as it's clear as day how vital pogba is to our midfield, his range of passing is much better and not only will he get assists he can start of attacks with his passing and driving runs.

But seeing as you mention stats I looked, they both have 3 assists in the league and 1 in Europe, couldn't find domestic cups.

But key passes pogba absolutely wipes the floor with him with 43 compared to Anders 26 in the prem league alone.

That's alright because Herrera hasnt got pogbas skill set but it does highlight despite not pleasing every pundit, pogba has been vital for our attack this year

WhoDaGOAT

I'm not one for stats as it's clear as day how vital pogba is to our midfield, his range of passing is much better and not only will he get assists he can start of attacks with his passing and driving runs.

But seeing as you mention stats I looked, they both have 3 assists in the league and 1 in Europe, couldn't find domestic cups.

But key passes pogba absolutely wipes the floor with him with 43 compared to Anders 26 in the prem league alone.

That's alright because Herrera hasnt got pogbas skill set but it does highlight despite not pleasing every pundit, pogba has been vital for our attack this year
Pogba isn't vital to our midfield though. He's a luxury player.

Considering that the team is clearly instructed to get Pogba on the ball as much as possible, 43 vs 26 is very impressive from Herrera who, as Neville has illustrated, is left to defend on his own at times.

I don't care about Pogba's highlight reel repertoire. It makes for a good GIF, but I want efficient central midfielders who do the basics right before trying the Hollywood balls.

Charlie Adam can ping a pass too. It's no good if he can't do the rest well. Pogba is our version of Coutinho.

MadMike

Yeah, this is what bothers me... and I know it shouldn't.

I know it's unfair to burden him with that daft price tag, but I just can't help it, it's the pragmatic notion that a player you pay 90m for should be the best player in your fecking team!

I like him, I think he's good, and I think he's a likeable lad who really genuinely wants to be here and make Man Utd a success again. But, I think people are wanting to see greatness in what he's doing so they're just projecting it onto him, when deep down, if they're honest, they know he's been somewhat of a disappointment, thus far.

I mean, can you imagine us with that Gueye fella from Everton, or Kante in a mid 3 with Carrick and Herrera...? We'd be better than we are now!

In fact, I think it's possible that we'd be challenging the Premier League title right now.

And it does bother me that people are saying how we need a top DM to get the best of Pogba, when actually, if we had a top DM instead of Pogba, we'd actually be better (or at least I believe so).
I have to agree with the no. That midfield would lack creativity big time.

Paul has great talent, I can see it and I think most of us can. He seems a bit immature in the way he plays on certain games, his decision making not really the best or his commitment not so evident. He can be frustrating precisely because you can see the really high ceiling he has.

The price tag is a bit unfair on him, he is far from the finished product and at that money you expect a world beater. When we were courting him, I didn't want us to buy him because I watched Serie A and while I liked him I saw the same things we see now and thought "he is not an £80m player, maybe half that."

But now he's here, I'm very glad to have him and I think he'll be a bit like Scholes. He'll stay here for 10 seasons and justify the immense investment that way. And I actually expect him to hit Scholes-sque levels. The quality is undoubtedly there.

MadMike

Considering that the team is clearly instructed to get Pogba on the ball as much as possible, 43 vs 26 is very impressive from Herrera who, as Neville has illustrated, is left to defend on his own at times.

I don't care about Pogba's highlight reel repertoire. It makes for a good GIF, but I want efficient central midfielders who do the basics right before trying the Hollywood balls.

Charlie Adam can ping a pass too. It's no good if he can't do the rest well. Pogba is our version of Coutinho.
How is our main chance creator not important to our midfield? Is the midfield's job only to defend and pass the ball sideways?

Silas

Herrera, Gueye and Kante all have the same role in their respective teams so playing them together would be pointless really. Our midfield would be far too defensive and Carrick would end up with a pretty significant creative burden seeing as neither Ander, Kante or Gueye are what could be described as playmakers.

Reactions: Akshay

MadMike

Herrera, Gueye and Kante all have the same role in their respective teams so playing them together would be pointless really. Our midfield would be far too defensive and Carrick would end up with a pretty significant creative burden seeing as neither Ander, Kante or Gueye are what could be described as playmakers.
New member posting some sense, thank you. Some people think the midfield's job is to just shut down the opposition.

Last edited:

lem8sh

This.

dogwithabone

I find Pogba very infuriating in that he shows flashes of absolute brilliance and when i look at his physicality and natural athleticism I just think he should be bossing game after game. His best game for us was his first against Southampton, he looked a monster but it's all been very bitty pretty much from that point.

Can only hope that the penny drops eventually and we find ourselves with the best midfielder in the world - he can become that good.

SirScholes

Of course he is vital, who is driving the team forward from midfield if he isn't starting?

Tbh you compared pogba to Charlie Adam so I'll take any further comments with a pinch of salt

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
On two frequent criticisms of Pogba's game:

1. What I don't get are the comments that he holds the ball too long. Clean, direct short passing is one of his main characteristics as a player to me.

I rewatched the first 45 minutes of yesterday's game to get numbers on his touches prior to a pass, and this is what I counted:

----------------

First touch pass: 12

Second touch pass: 14

Third touch pass: 2 (only under pressure; one is the gif from post #7602 - still extremely direct)

Carried the ball for some yards: 3x (2 successful actions, 1 turnover)

----------------

Two touches is an almost instant pass, too. Controlling the ball and passing it directly afterwards, mostly in less than half a second overall. All in all Pogba spent very little time on the ball after receiving it. Very good execution too (fast balls, but easy to control for the receiver), and almost no mistakes. In my opinion quick short passing is a defining quality of him as a player and that can be seen in literally every game. The Hollywood balls come just on top of that.

2. On his defensive positioning in the first half:

It looked like Pogba was clearly instructed to position himself higher to aid United's midfield pressing around the center circle. In some situations he stood as high as the forwards. Which means others have to cover for him then, but that is the natural division of defensive work and not a positioning mistake. You can bet your life that Mourinho of all coaches wouldn't praise him for his game if that wouldn't have been the plan.

He had one situation in that half where he didn't track back fast enough and (I think) Gabbiadini managed to get a shot as a consequence. But overall it looked like it was supposed to be just the way it was.

Last edited:

Shark

@NotShark
Pogba gets a ridiculous amount of stick on here. You'd swear we had a midfield of Busquets, Xavi and Iniesta before now the way some are going on.

He's a top player and will only get better, you dweebs.

Last edited:

SirScholes

Pogba gets a discraceful amount of stick on here. You'd swear we had a midfield of Busquets, Xavi and Iniesta before now the way some are going on.

He's a top player and will only get better, you dweebs.
Just had someone say his passing was like Charlie Adam mate, and that he isn't important to our midfield.
Our choice of midfield is carrick Herrera pogba fellaini and bfs, how anyone thinks pogba isn't vital looking at our choices is just mind boggling

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Fair enough you disagree, and I imagine you're in the majority, but to be clear, I said a midfield of Herrera, Carrick and Gueye or Kante.

Herrera and Carrick for me are both more creative than Kante or Gueye, and I think if our midfield consisted of those 3, you could then play Pogba where he would be better - drifting up front in a free role that requires very little positional responsibility.

For example the below set up would obviously be better than playing him in a midfield 2...

--------------------DDG-----------------
Val---------Bailly--------Rojo-------Blind
----Herrera------Carrick------Gueye----
Mhki--------------Zlatan-----------Pogba

To me, I just think that from what I've seen thus far, his long term position won't be as a staple midfielder, he just doesn't have the discipline, and it doesn't allow him the opportunities to try his flashy sprites of inspiration because the risk is too great in the middle - yes, a nice turn here and there in a game is great to see, but against quality opposition, it's a liability, as we've seen already.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if this Summer, we bring in a quality DM, thinking it'll be to partner Pogba in midfield, only to realise that a mid 3 or 2 of Carrick, Herrera and new DM works best with Pogba free up front to cause havoc with Zlatan.

He just isn't a Mourinho midfielder for me, he's just not nearly gritty enough (even for a creative mid).

For me, he's a flair player, and I mean that as a compliment to his best attributes.

Shark

@NotShark
Just had someone say his passing was like Charlie Adam mate, and that he isn't important to our midfield.
Our choice of midfield is carrick Herrera pogba fellaini and bfs, how anyone thinks pogba isn't vital looking at our choices is just mind boggling
These past few pages have been a mess.

WhoDaGOAT

Of course he is vital, who is driving the team forward from midfield if he isn't starting?

Tbh you compared pogba to Charlie Adam so I'll take any further comments with a pinch of salt
Herrera is doing plenty of driving, as are Valencia, Mkhitaryan and Martial when on form.

When played in a midfield two like yesterday, Pogba needs to have a brain and realise that he can't go wandering off as a lone soldier. He's too used to playing within a world class defensive unit. United are a long way from being Juventus, so he needs to alter his game.

I compared their ability to ping a ball 40 yards. That is one aspect. Not "OMG ADAM > Pogba" like you seem to suggest.

WhoDaGOAT

How is our main chance creator not important to our midfield? Is the midfield's job only to defend and pass the ball sideways?
I don't think he's vital. The only three players in the squad who can't be replaced within any system at present are Ibrahimović, Valencia and Herrera.

It's a midfielder's job to receive the ball from the defence, feed the danger men and to shield the defence when not in possession of the ball.

Pogba does things well in spells. He will play a perfect game for 10 minutes, then he'll play like a teenager for the next 15. Bizarre.

GledTheRed

Herrera is doing plenty of driving, as are Valencia, Mkhitaryan and Martial when on form.

When played in a midfield two like yesterday, Pogba needs to have a brain and realise that he can't go wandering off as a lone soldier. He's too used to playing within a world class defensive unit. United are a long way from being Juventus, so he needs to alter his game.

I compared their ability to ping a ball 40 yards. That is one aspect. Not "OMG ADAM > Pogba" like you seem to suggest.
Steady on

SirScholes

Exactly one aspect of pogbas game of which he has many, don't be daft Herrera is limited in his passing martial as been missing half the season and you want our midfield drive to come from our right back?

Edit who do you think is finding Valencia on his bursts forward by the way? Give you a clue, he's like Charlie Adams

RedPnutz

I thought he had a decent game. Not amazing but not bad either. Meanwhile Mourinho thought he was great, and all the pundits thought he was shit.

Someone is wrong.
The pundits and fans don't know exactly what Mourinho instructed him to do.

SirScholes

I don't think he's vital. The only three players in the squad who can't be replaced within any system at present are Ibrahimović, Valencia and Herrera.

It's a midfielder's job to receive the ball from the defence, feed the danger men and to shield the defence when not in possession of the ball.

Pogba does things well in spells. He will play a perfect game for 10 minutes, then he'll play like a teenager for the next 15. Bizarre.
Show me our midfield without pogba

WhoDaGOAT

Exactly one aspect of pogbas game of which he has many, don't be daft Herrera is limited in his passing martial as been missing half the season and you want our midfield drive to come from our right back?

Edit who do you think is finding Valencia on his bursts forward by the way? Give you a clue, he's like Charlie Adams
Herrera has still managed to out assist him, despite his so called limited passing. What part of when on form did you not understand with regards to Martial. Yes, Martial, the player who basically created the winning goal on Sunday due to his persistence and diagonal pass to Herrera.

Forgive me for thinking that full-backs can be a huge attacking asset. Southampton's full-backs tormented us in the final. Alves and Sandro assisted and scored in Juventus' win on Saturday. Valencia is a hit and miss crosser, but his ability to carry a ball 30 yards up the pitch within a matter of seconds is a unique trait and one of the main reasons why he has stayed a Manchester United player for so long.

SirScholes

It remains 5th, like last season. It wins one trophy, like last season. It performs better in the big games, like last season.
We are performing better than last season? So not sure what angle you are going for there

MadMike

The bolded part is true, but you have to consider that he is in fact learning a new position. He played in a midfield 3 before which gave him different creative freedom. I personally believe his new role suits him better but there will be an adjustment period, especially if you consider he is young. And yes our CBs are nowhere near Chiellini-Bonucci levels, we kinda new that anyway.

I don't think he's vital.
I think we'll have to agree to disagree on that. I saw our midfield without Pogba. I saw it all of last year. No thanks.

SirScholes

Herrera has still managed to out assist him, despite his so called limited passing. What part of when on form did you not understand with regards to Martial. Yes, Martial, the player who basically created the winning goal on Sunday due to his persistence and diagonal pass to Herrera.

Forgive me for thinking that full-backs can be a huge attacking asset. Southampton's full-backs tormented us in the final. Alves and Sandro assisted and scored in Juventus' win on Saturday. Valencia is a hit and miss crosser, but his ability to carry a ball 30 yards up the pitch within a matter of seconds is a unique trait and one of the main reasons why he has stayed a Manchester United player for so long.
Yes but his runs are picked out by pogba!
He could have more assists if people take chances, its one of those, like I say almost twice as many key passes in the league alone.
Take away that from our team and we'd look very ordinary, you are total playing down any contribution he makes to suit your argument.
His link up play with Zlatan is good, he is the only central midfield capable of dribbling past his man that we have which creates space for others.
He's been incredibly unlucky with shots hitting the post and could easily of been in double figures

Status
Not open for further replies.