6.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Silas

Fair enough you disagree, and I imagine you're in the majority, but to be clear, I said a midfield of Herrera, Carrick and Gueye or Kante.
Yeah that was my understanding, apologies for not being clear.

Herrera and Carrick for me are both more creative than Kante or Gueye, and I think if our midfield consisted of those 3, you could then play Pogba where he would be better - drifting up front in a free role that requires very little positional responsibility.

For example the below set up would obviously be better than playing him in a midfield 2...

--------------------DDG-----------------
Val---------Bailly--------Rojo-------Blind
----Herrera------Carrick------Gueye----
Mhki--------------Zlatan-----------Pogba

To me, I just think that from what I've seen thus far, his long term position won't be as a staple midfielder, he just doesn't have the discipline, and it doesn't allow him the opportunities to try his flashy sprites of inspiration because the risk is too great in the middle - yes, a nice turn here and there in a game is great to see, but against quality opposition, it's a liability, as we've seen already.
I still maintain that the midfield wouldn't be creative enough. I'm assuming Herrera would take up Pogba's as the 8/10 hybrid? If so, it's fairly clear that Herrera's dribbling, passing, shooting and vision aren't close to what Pogba brings to the side (he's only superior to Pogba defensively and perhaps in decision making), so relying on him to be the driving force in the midfield just wouldn't work in my eyes. Unless we're planning on Carrick spraying long balls for the majority of matches, it wouldn't be an efficient system in terms of chance creation and even though we'd likely be a more secure unit, we'd just end up with more goalless draws and zombie passing.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if this Summer, we bring in a quality DM, thinking it'll be to partner Pogba in midfield, only to realise that a mid 3 or 2 of Carrick, Herrera and new DM works best with Pogba free up front to cause havoc with Zlatan.
Martial's skillset is definitely more suited to the inside forward role than Pogba, especially considering the latter's erratic finishing. That alone is enough reason for him moving further forward to be unlikely. Also, his best (well at least most consistent) attribute is his long passing - if he's too far upfield that'll be wasted imo.

He just isn't a Mourinho midfielder for me, he's just not nearly gritty enough (even for a creative mid).
For me, he's a flair player, and I mean that as a compliment to his best attributes.
I think it's safe to say Mourinho knows what he's looking for in a 'Mourinho midfielder' better than you do. :wenger:

Reactions: top1whoisman

redmanx

Interesting that Gary Neville failed to mention the praise for Pogba from his manager after the game.
My impression of Pogba is that he's one of those players who constantly needs to be told he's "great" by his manager, and Jose realises this, hence the never less than glowing remarks. Is Pogba a great player? Will he become one? Obviously he's a very good player, but as of yet he's done nothing to suggest to me that he can be "great" Perhaps he feels weighed down by his ridiculous price tag, which is looking more ludicrous by the match; he's not the only player to cost silly money, and silly price tags never hampered the truly great players, Ronaldo, Suarez, Neymar,Gonzalo Higuain, Zlatan, James Rodriguez, and they're all fairly recent, I can remember United paying £115,000 for Denis Law in 1962, a colossal fee back then, and it didn't do him any harm! Pogba needs to stop worrying about his hair style, his off field enterprises, his endorsements and other stuff and concentrate on the thing he was bought for, football, then, maybe, that silly fee wont look quite so silly after all, or at least it wont be relevant anymore.

Ashley R1+O

I think the long term vision from Mourinho is to have Pogba and Herrera as the deeper midfielders with Griezmann in "the hole" in front of them, pretty much how a traditional 4-2-3-1 would look. Maybe for the more intense games like yesterday, we could play with a deeper midfielder behind Pogba and Herrera, with Griezmann as an inside forward.
Yeah fair enough, that. I just don't think Pogba is as effective when saddled with having a defensive role attached to his game. I personally think he'll be better as a full free-roaming 8. But the boss will sort it out, I have faith.

AR87

His fee doesn't even matter to me and it shouldn't unless the fee prevents us from improving ourselves in the transfer market moving forward. He's been quite good and has the potential to get much better. That's fine by me.

SouthPredators4

He seems to be almost instantaneosly closed down through aggressively pressing each time he received a pass. This basically is due to his ability to run with the ball which creates spaces to exploit. Until we have another CM with similar ability, he will struggle with the attention like most players would.

Shinehead Dred

My impression of Pogba is that he's one of those players who constantly needs to be told he's "great" by his manager, and Jose realises this, hence the never less than glowing remarks. Is Pogba a great player? Will he become one? Obviously he's a very good player, but as of yet he's done nothing to suggest to me that he can be "great" Perhaps he feels weighed down by his ridiculous price tag, which is looking more ludicrous by the match; he's not the only player to cost silly money, and silly price tags never hampered the truly great players, Ronaldo, Suarez, Neymar,Gonzalo Higuain, Zlatan, James Rodriguez, and they're all fairly recent, I can remember United paying £115,000 for Denis Law in 1962, a colossal fee back then, and it didn't do him any harm! Pogba needs to stop worrying about his hair style, his off field enterprises, his endorsements and other stuff and concentrate on the thing he was bought for, football, then, maybe, that silly fee wont look quite so silly after all, or at least it wont be relevant anymore.

I would love to know what he does that gives you that impression that he needs to be told that he's great? How does a person who needs to be told that they're great actually behave?

Mourinho has refused to play Mkhi until he decided he was ready. Handled the Rooney issue impeccably. Continues not to play Shaw despite intense scrutiny and criticism. Continued to select Fellaini (especially) after the booing incident. Do you seriously believe that he would praise a player simply to pander to their ego? Does Mourinho look like a manager who has time for players that need excessive praise to function well?

Your player comparisons are....well...um...wrong. Not a CM amongst them. They are judged by goals. He isn't. Then your massive leap from price tag to the usual shite of haircuts, endorsements yadda yadda...is mind-boggling mate.

What actual evidence do you possess that he is less than focussed on playing football? I would love to hear what you know which proves that he spends more time concentrating on his off field exploits and the mysterious "other stuff"?

Fair enough he's not gonna tick everyone's box, and for some he is never going to be that man. I can accept that. But I thought the nonsense around image and actual footballer had been debunked. It seems I'm wrong...

SouthPredators4

Yeah, best of luck finding that...

Seriously, we don't need to find another CM with similar quality, but even a good one with complementary ability to Pogba will do.
Players with ability to run with the ball or beat players with skills are not rare and they tend to take away most attention, compared to pedestrian or unadventurous midfielders.

OldTrevil

He seems to be almost instantaneosly closed down through aggressively pressing each time he received a pass. This basically is due to his ability to run with the ball which creates spaces to exploit. Until we have another CM with similar ability, he will struggle with the attention like most players would.
Yea the moment he receives the ball there's at least two players on him in a instant. He is so good releasing the ball quickly and with his short passing/combination play, but the narrative has already been set that the one or two times he holds the ball people will come in here acting as if that's what he did most of the game. I agree with the CM of somewhat similar ability, without the dribbling I must say as that is one of the rare qualities that makes Pogba special, but I hope Herrera can go up a level to become that CM. I feel he is conservative with his interplay because he doesn't want to expose our defense playing in a midfield 2 or a 35 year-old Carrick playing in 3. If we got a pure DM who is happy not playing every game and a CM to compete with Herrera and also allow us to occasionally rest a CM our midfield would be set.

PS. I initially deleted this comment when my page was showing a double post for some weird reason.
Edit: In response to your previous post as I imagine you also had my deleted post in mind when responding to CG1010, midfielders with Pogba's ability to beat a man are indeed very rare. You want a partner who is as comfortable with the ball and, yes, can run with the ball and be a real threat further afield, I believe Herrera can achieve that level but we need is CM to compete.

Last edited:

Akshay

Staff
Fair enough you disagree, and I imagine you're in the majority, but to be clear, I said a midfield of Herrera, Carrick and Gueye or Kante.

Herrera and Carrick for me are both more creative than Kante or Gueye, and I think if our midfield consisted of those 3, you could then play Pogba where he would be better - drifting up front in a free role that requires very little positional responsibility.

For example the below set up would obviously be better than playing him in a midfield 2...

--------------------DDG-----------------
Val---------Bailly--------Rojo-------Blind
----Herrera------Carrick------Gueye----
Mhki--------------Zlatan-----------Pogba
Pogba would be wasted out wide. He's nowhere near winger quality at beating his man nor is he as productive as Mata in and around the box. Really not suited to being an attacking free role. Mkhi's also been much better this season behind the striker, so I don't see the point in that formation. Carrick prefers to defer to another midfielder to be the main creative force, so you'd essentially be counting on Herrera to become our chief playmaker. There's also no one in that midfield who can bring the ball forward by themselves like Pogba can.

To me, I just think that from what I've seen thus far, his long term position won't be as a staple midfielder, he just doesn't have the discipline, and it doesn't allow him the opportunities to try his flashy sprites of inspiration because the risk is too great in the middle - yes, a nice turn here and there in a game is great to see, but against quality opposition, it's a liability, as we've seen already.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if this Summer, we bring in a quality DM, thinking it'll be to partner Pogba in midfield, only to realise that a mid 3 or 2 of Carrick, Herrera and new DM works best with Pogba free up front to cause havoc with Zlatan.
He'll get plenty of opportunities to try his flashy tricks, he just has to do them when he's nearer the opposition goal than our own. In any case I think his tricks are better used to get him out of sticky situations and give him an extra yard to play a pass as the opposition has to be wary of sending a single man to press him too closely. He's really not the player to be trying to dribble past three, four players like Martial might.

It's really just an adjustment in his decision making that's needed instead of a complete change in position. I also think he's feeling his price tag and believes he has to do something spectacular when he has the ball. He'll get better with some maturity.

He just isn't a Mourinho midfielder for me, he's just not nearly gritty enough (even for a creative mid).

For me, he's a flair player, and I mean that as a compliment to his best attributes.
Isn't he grittier than Fabregas, who Mourinho brought in as the final piece of the puzzle for his Chelsea midfield? The difference is Fabregas had Matic behind him and right now we're playing a two man midfield in the big games, sometimes even away from home, without grafty wingers like Park or Valencia to compensate. I think Mourinho is over-compensating a bit as he's desperate to play 'United brand' football. Plus we need an upgrade in the holding mid slot.

MUFC OK

He does things other players cannot in almost every game, but as of yet it's just glimmers - he is yet to truly dominate games but I think that will come with experience. He's being asked to play the holding role and has done fairly well, would just like to see him win a few more games for us and score more goals. Ability wise I dont see anyone better in world football for his age. He has a unique set of skills (taken) and should be the player we look to build around.

shield

He is a very good player. There is no doubt about it. You can see him doing all the things really great midfielders do, albeit in flashes. He is being developed by Mourinho into a more complete midfielder than what he was at Juventus.

There are however a lot of things that he can do better. Things like positioning will take time. It does not come to him naturally and so he will only learn through experience.

But he is supposed to excel in ball control so he needs to start being the player who sets the tempo. This is something I feel should not take him that long to master and we should expect him to do it even now and it is obvious that this is what Mourinho is asking of him.

When a team is pressing then you need to release the ball quickly. You can't run with the ball because you will always be surrounded and will eventually lose possession. If a team is sitting back then show your strength. Herrera is always present to cover for any positioning errors but with his (Pogba's) range of passing and ball control, he needs to start becoming the creative hub.

Currently, quite a lot of what he does is still in flashes of brilliance and we still have to depend on some other experienced player, like, Carrick, Mikhi or Mata, to be that final piece that gives us the edge over our opponents.

Like against Southampton, I really liked what Carrick was trying to do when he came on in the second half. He increased the speed of passing and started getting through Southampton's midfield. Carrick could not pull it off completely because he just does not have the legs or the stamina. But I felt that Pogba could have done this. We shouldn't have felt the need to bring on Carrick. He certainly has the strength and passing range.

He has played enough matches this season to get up to speed about what is required of him and so I would like to see him start dictating the play. I mean, I would like to see him atleast try to do this. It may not always come off but that is OK for me.

I feel I may be a little off in my assessment of his play. Like, I don't want to see this all dominating Fabregas-Messi hybrid (not yet), but I do want him to try to be a more central figure and start thinking and reading the match better.

Good player though. Happy to have him in our team.

Reactions: top1whoisman

Donut

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on that. I saw our midfield without Pogba. I saw it all of last year. No thanks.
Exactly. People have such short memories. Last year our midfield was a sideways pass after sideways pass with no penetration. Pogba has transformed our attack, his drive and accurate forward passing is fantastic. He gets so much stick because people are still mad he left us, his price tag, & off field persona, but imo he's been great for us, and is arguably our most important player.

WhoDaGOAT

Yes but his runs are picked out by pogba!
He could have more assists if people take chances, its one of those, like I say almost twice as many key passes in the league alone.
Take away that from our team and we'd look very ordinary, you are total playing down any contribution he makes to suit your argument.
His link up play with Zlatan is good, he is the only central midfield capable of dribbling past his man that we have which creates space for others.
He's been incredibly unlucky with shots hitting the post and could easily of been in double figures
Eh, no they aren't. Valencia carrying the ball from his own half is not credited to Pogba. If anything, Herrera feeds him more. They play on the same side of the pitch. The trio of Valencia, Herrera and Mata used to regularly form triangles on the right side under LvG.

We are still pretty ordinary with him. If I'm playing down Pogba's role, you are building him up as a one man team.

His link up play with Zlatan can be frustrating. He is always looking for him, even when there are better options showing for him. It's like they're playing their own private game.

He has been unlucky not to have more assists to his name, but hitting the post that many times is down to poor finishing. He's been unlucky with some free kicks, but attempts like his recent header should have been converted.

Pogba is basically Nani at the moment: a hugely gifted but immature player. He's not worth what we paid, but there's still more to come. Next season will be the real time to judge him. 24 and a year back at the club.

Stacks

Yeah, this is what bothers me... and I know it shouldn't.

I know it's unfair to burden him with that daft price tag, but I just can't help it, it's the pragmatic notion that a player you pay 90m for should be the best player in your fecking team!

I like him, I think he's good, and I think he's a likeable lad who really genuinely wants to be here and make Man Utd a success again. But, I think people are wanting to see greatness in what he's doing so they're just projecting it onto him, when deep down, if they're honest, they know he's been somewhat of a disappointment, thus far.

I mean, can you imagine us with that Gueye fella from Everton, or Kante in a mid 3 with Carrick and Herrera...? We'd be better than we are now!

In fact, I think it's possible that we'd be challenging the Premier League title right now.

And it does bother me that people are saying how we need a top DM to get the best of Pogba, when actually, if we had a top DM instead of Pogba, we'd actually be better (or at least I believe so).
I disagree. If however we had Kante AND Kroos, then yes we would be better.

Stacks

Of course he is vital, who is driving the team forward from midfield if he isn't starting?

Tbh you compared pogba to Charlie Adam so I'll take any further comments with a pinch of salt
When you say driving us forward how do you mean. As in Yaya Toure bursting through teams, Steven Gerrard grabbing the game by the scruff or Kaka dribbling through the middle?

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Yea the moment he receives the ball there's at least two players on him in a instant. He is so good releasing the ball quickly and with his short passing/combination play, but the narrative has already been set that the one or two times he holds the ball people will come in here acting as if that's what he did most of the game.
What you say is spot on, both on Pogba's quick passing style (plain to see every game) and the establishment of a narrative claiming the exact opposite, that seems to prefilter many people's perception of him. It's certainly one of the more frustrating instances of confirmation bias I have witnessed recently.

MadMike

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Plate thrown at him in a London restaurant, because he didn't sign an autograph. Scum.

SirScholes

Eh, no they aren't. Valencia carrying the ball from his own half is not credited to Pogba. If anything, Herrera feeds him more. They play on the same side of the pitch. The trio of Valencia, Herrera and Mata used to regularly form triangles on the right side under LvG.

We are still pretty ordinary with him. If I'm playing down Pogba's role, you are building him up as a one man team.

His link up play with Zlatan can be frustrating. He is always looking for him, even when there are better options showing for him. It's like they're playing their own private game.

He has been unlucky not to have more assists to his name, but hitting the post that many times is down to poor finishing. He's been unlucky with some free kicks, but attempts like his recent header should have been converted.

Pogba is basically Nani at the moment: a hugely gifted but immature player. He's not worth what we paid, but there's still more to come. Next season will be the real time to judge him. 24 and a year back at the club.
It's just ridiculous to say he doesn't improve our midfield compared to last year, I've lost count of how many cross field passes he makes to Valencia to switch up play.
His driving runs take players away from their markers and on top of this his overall build up play is something different and not just sideways or backwards passes like Ander Herrera often finds himself doing.
No one is worth that much money and it's just boring to talk about, it's what juve wanted for he player not what he is actually literally worth.

No point am I saying he is a one man team, he improve s our team, if you remove him from it you take out a dimension from our attack tho.

You'd have either Herrera and Carrick which would be too static as carrick couldn't be left alone
Herrera Fellaini, see above
Fellaini Herrera carrick, any midfield with Fellaini starting is a no.

I just can't fathom how you believe we aren't a better side than last year, I could go into games won and points collected but why bother

SirScholes

When you say driving us forward how do you mean. As in Yaya Toure bursting through teams, Steven Gerrard grabbing the game by the scruff or Kaka dribbling through the middle?
Yaya or Kaka, there is no central midfielder at the club other than pogba who can do that.
I've seen Zlatan look for the more difficult pass to pogba because he knows he's likely to come up with something or more likely than others.

OldTrevil

What you say is spot on, both on Pogba's quick passing style (plain to see every game) and the establishment of a narrative claiming the exact opposite, that seems to prefilter many people's perception of him. It's certainly one of the more frustrating instances of confirmation bias I have witnessed recently.
It's disturbing how strongly people are influenced by a narrative, I've found myself often in a very small minority at the bar highlighting the good things he does, whereas it's like others doz off and only wake up the time he makes a error to start throwing negative labels. And this is in Africa where his popularity is very high.

MadMike

Why are you guys even talking about Kaka in the Pogba thread? Different player entirely. In the Mkhi thread I can understand it but here?

MichaelRed

Herrera, Gueye and Kante all have the same role in their respective teams so playing them together would be pointless really. Our midfield would be far too defensive and Carrick would end up with a pretty significant creative burden seeing as neither Ander, Kante or Gueye are what could be described as playmakers.
Almost agree here with the exception of Herrera. He's a creative midfielder who has converted to be more defensive minded. He played #10 regularly at Bilbao before us.

MadMike

Almost agree here with the exception of Herrera. He's a creative midfielder who has converted to be more defensive minded. He played #10 regularly at Bilbao before us.
And he has, what, 9 assists so far this season?

But in the same way that Valencia was a winger but is better suited as a RB, similarly I think Herrera is much better suited as a #8. He's not a good enough shooter/scorer/dribbler to play the #10 for me, Mkhi is far better in that role and Pogba or Mata after that. However his engine, reading of the game and his willingness to put himself about make him an excellent #8.

Pumplex

Plate thrown at him in a London restaurant, because he didn't sign an autograph. Scum.
Pretty sure it was Akbars in Manchester.

I've seen the footage and you can tell the type of dickhead that it is. Mouthy and hard only when there is a group of them.

Stacks

Yaya or Kaka, there is no central midfielder at the club other than pogba who can do that.
I've seen Zlatan look for the more difficult pass to pogba because he knows he's likely to come up with something or more likely than others.
I don't see it. I don't see him dribbling through teams creating havoc like the aforementioned. I feel his dribbling isn't as good as I thought in an attacking sense but his passing is much better than I thought. He can dribble out of tight spaces but I can't recall him too often driving the team forward with his direct dribbling ability and causing problems for the opposition. he did it that time against Southampton on his debut but it seems he gets closed down too quick over here and can't spread his legs and go on a run. If he was doing this, then he would be bossing more games. Its almost as if you are projecting this image of what he should be. He has shown nowhere near the driving skills of Yaya or Kaka and has been moved to a deeper role to make use of his superior passing ability.

redmanx

I would love to know what he does that gives you that impression that he needs to be told that he's great? How does a person who needs to be told that they're great actually behave?

Mourinho has refused to play Mkhi until he decided he was ready. Handled the Rooney issue impeccably. Continues not to play Shaw despite intense scrutiny and criticism. Continued to select Fellaini (especially) after the booing incident. Do you seriously believe that he would praise a player simply to pander to their ego? Does Mourinho look like a manager who has time for players that need excessive praise to function well?

Your player comparisons are....well...um...wrong. Not a CM amongst them. They are judged by goals. He isn't. Then your massive leap from price tag to the usual shite of haircuts, endorsements yadda yadda...is mind-boggling mate.

What actual evidence do you possess that he is less than focussed on playing football? I would love to hear what you know which proves that he spends more time concentrating on his off field exploits and the mysterious "other stuff"?

Fair enough he's not gonna tick everyone's box, and for some he is never going to be that man. I can accept that. But I thought the nonsense around image and actual footballer had been debunked. It seems I'm wrong...
Mourinho isn't in the same league when it comes to man management as Fergie was, but he's very good and, as with Drogba at Chelsea, can turn a very good player into a great player; no he wont pander to ego's, but if he can extract more from a player by building them up, he will. Pogba is a very good player and playing under Mourinho will only make him better, but if Pogba doesn't play his part, Mourinho will chop him down; no, Jose Mourinho, like Alex Ferguson, doesn't pander to ego's or suffer fools, for him its about the team, the club, but, like Fergie, he will indulge a player, or ego, if he thinks it will have a positive outcome for the team and get the player or ego in question performing to the level required and expected, but not to the detriment of the other players; his indulgence will only last so long, as Memphis Depay soon discovered.

SirScholes

I don't see it. I don't see him dribbling through teams creating havoc like the aforementioned. I feel his dribbling isn't as good as I thought in an attacking sense but his passing is much better than I thought. He can dribble out of tight spaces but I can't recall him too often driving the team forward with his direct dribbling ability and causing problems for the opposition. he did it that time against Southampton on his debut but it seems he gets closed down too quick over here and can't spread his legs and go on a run. If he was doing this, then he would be bossing more games. Its almost as if you are projecting this image of what he should be. He has shown nowhere near the driving skills of Yaya or Kaka and has been moved to a deeper role to make use of his superior passing ability.
So he didn't turn two defenders inside out in the final or shrugged off Davis earlier with a turn and move forward?
Not saying he does it every time he picks up the ball but it does happen

Stacks

So he didn't turn two defenders inside out in the final or shrugged off Davis earlier with a turn and move forward?
Not saying he does it every time he picks up the ball but it does happen
Yes indeed but we clearly differ in our idea of what constitutes driving the team forward. A Cruyff turn, 2 paces and pass for me isn't driving. See Gazza

Shinehead Dred

Mourinho isn't in the same league when it comes to man management as Fergie was, but he's very good and, as with Drogba at Chelsea, can turn a very good player into a great player; no he wont pander to ego's, but if he can extract more from a player by building them up, he will. Pogba is a very good player and playing under Mourinho will only make him better, but if Pogba doesn't play his part, Mourinho will chop him down; no, Jose Mourinho, like Alex Ferguson, doesn't pander to ego's or suffer fools, for him its about the team, the club, but, like Fergie, he will indulge a player, or ego, if he thinks it will have a positive outcome for the team and get the player or ego in question performing to the level required and expected, but not to the detriment of the other players; his indulgence will only last so long, as Memphis Depay soon discovered.
I didn't realise we were comparing the strengths of managers. I thought you were going to tell me why you know that Pogba apparently needs to be told that he's great.

So because you don't think Mourinho is in the same league, does that mean that you think that he allows players to get away with things that Fergie wouldn't?

Surely if Mourinho can turn a " very good" player like Drogba into a "great" player, then what's he gonna do with a great player like Pogba? Using your theory Pogba is going to become world class under his guidance?

But something tells me that's not what you mean. You seem to be implying that Pogba is giving out some negative vibe or ego that needs challenging in some way, or is it that he is simply not the player that you want to see as the future face of Man United?

Status
Not open for further replies.