Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Just goes to show that if you surround him with quality, he'll shine.

We need to accept he's not a Messi/Ronaldo type who will win games for us on his own, he needs to have a solid team built around him.
lol Messi and Ronaldo won't win you games with ineffective players surrounding them either, no one can.

Every single player no matter their level needs their teams to be performing in order to shine properly. This is why you see Messi and Ronaldo having many stinkers for their national teams unlike with their respective clubs where they are surrounded by quality from the keeper to the striker and even the bench.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I love his little scoop passes he does. Like the one to Lingard for Mata's goal and the one for Zlatan's chance. They're one of my favourite things to see in a footy game and I've been dying to see some of our players attempt them more often.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I love his little scoop passes he does. Like the one to Lingard for Mata's goal and the one for Zlatan's chance. They're one of my favourite things to see in a footy game and I've been dying to see some of our players attempt them more often.
Same, Scholes used to do it all the time too, since him though all our midfielders just play too safe.

It's 1 of the best ways to open up a deep lying defence I think.

Jacky Quacky

made eight consecutive posts about Fellaini once
He started slow at Juventus last season, he's doing the same now. Showed fantastic quality today and he will get even better.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
He's brilliant at those

RRCE

The boy is undoubtedly a world class talent. Many have been quite harsh on him. He basically had no pre-season under his belt. Adrenalin got him through the first match, but he was always going to have a bit of a dip after that. It was inevitable. As many have noted, the lack of balance in midfield hasn't helped either. He played at another level today, particularly in the first half. Hopefully he can go from strength to strength now. The sooner he can make this team his, the better off we'll be.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
Noticeable he stopped trying to dribble past everyone today and didn't seem to be trying to force things to happen. I guess he can partly be blamed for some poor performances but it surely makes a huge difference having Mata and Herrera around you rather than Rooney and Fellaini.

Handré1990

Yep, Him and Ibra were jumping in to that space in between the lines that is usually taken up and it was hugely beneficial. Mata is such an intelligent number ten in terms of positioning, he knows if pogba is coming forward to make a little space for himself but not get in his way and the same if Ibra is coming back, it doesn't actually count for him on any stat as it can't be measured but he is great at sharing and creating space.
So true. Mata is all about working for the team. I love watching him and Herrera link up, and now they have Pogba to play with:drool:

LouisDanGaal

So true. Mata is all about working for the team. I love watching him and Herrera link up, and now they have Pogba to play with:drool:
And Mkhi who from what I've seen plays with the tempo of Herrera and the technique of hazard, I can't wait to see him mata Herrera pogba all linking up, it could potentially be beautiful watching them create for zlatan/martial/rashford.

Handré1990

And Mkhi who from what I've seen plays with the tempo of Herrera and the technique of hazard, I can't wait to see him mata Herrera pogba all linking up, it could potentially be beautiful watching them create for zlatan/martial/rashford.
In all the commotion of the last week or so, I almost forgot Mikhitaryan was a United player^^ Him and Martial could both be great in this set up. Lingard out for Martial, but who would Miki replace? If this continue he has a job to do:)

LouisDanGaal

In all the commotion of the last week or so, I almost forgot Mikhitaryan was a United player^^ Him and Martial could both be great in this set up. Lingard out for Martial, but who would Miki replace? If this continue he has a job to do:)
The way I see it there 2 spaces out wide available and four players competing for them, mkhi lingard rashford martial, I think if everyone is playing at their best mkhi on the right and Martial on the left but at the minute only rashford has staked a proper claim to one of the places with his goals. I actually think we didn't offer a lot through our wide players today, Blind from left back was creating more than the forwards, Lingard didn't contribute a lot and Rashford was just having a bad day, so I wouldn't be surprised to see mkhi get in. Although its a bit unfair as he will probably play Thursday almost like a trial with players who can't link up as well as the ones we had today as he'll be with Fellaini, schneidi rooney etc.

Handré1990

The way I see it there 2 spaces out wide available and four players competing for them, mkhi lingard rashford martial, I think if everyone is playing at their best mkhi on the right and Martial on the left but at the minute only rashford has staked a proper claim to one of the places with his goals. I actually think we didn't offer a lot through our wide players today, Blind from left back was creating more than the forwards, Lingard didn't contribute a lot and Rashford was just having a bad day, so I wouldn't be surprised to see mkhi get in. Although its a bit unfair as he will probably play Thursday almost like a trial with players who can't link up as well as the ones we had today as he'll be with Fellaini, schneidi rooney etc.
You're right, and it's a great problem to have! Wrt Miki on Thursday, we should really win either way, so it's up to him to focus on his own performance, and help the team. I've no problem with waiting until someone hits a bad patch or Miki proves himself through Europa or sub appearances.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Same, Scholes used to do it all the time too, since him though all our midfielders just play too safe.
His assist vs Milan which was a similar pass (but better) is probably my favourite assist ever.
It's 1 of the best ways to open up a deep lying defence I think.
I completely agree. It's one of the main reasons as to why Barca are brilliant at breaking down deep lying defences as Iniesta and Messi are masters of that pass.

Giggs86

Bossed it without even breaking a sweat. Can't wait to see what he's capable of when he shifts to fifth gear and be at 100% fitness.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
His assist vs Milan which was a similar pass (but better) is probably my favourite assist ever.

I completely agree. It's one of the main reasons as to why Barca are brilliant at breaking down deep lying defences as Iniesta and Messi are masters of that pass.
Fletcher was such a good team player. Could have poked into the net for one of his easiest Champions League goal with a possible offside risk, but held back and let Rooney have the ball. What a player, what a man.

jojose

Noticeable he stopped trying to dribble past everyone today and didn't seem to be trying to force things to happen. I guess he can partly be blamed for some poor performances but it surely makes a huge difference having Mata and Herrera around you rather than Rooney and Fellaini.
I think a lot of his dribbles where out of necessity rather than choice. Against Watford and City players other than Zlatan and himself where scared to get on the ball. Feyenoord too.

If there is one thing Ander Herrera and Juan Mata will always guarantee you, they'll show for and want the ball. Both can have poor games from time to time but both always provide an option. So when pogba picked the ball up on Saturday, he had Rashford and Lingaard stretching (Pogba will pick out Lingaard regularly when he does those out to in runs.) Mata is brilliant at finding little pockets, Herrera backed up play brilliantly and the full backs gave us width.

We just looked like a team on Saturday and when Paul Pogba has a functioning team around him and he can almost have a free role, he can be and will be devastating!

klayton88

The fact he is still in a Juve shirt on his wiki page somehow annoys me. Same way RVP was still in his Arsenal shirt for most of his first season with us. Boffins do your thing...

Devil may care

Sloppy at times as Randall says but I also didn't like how deep he had to come to get the ball as there was no passing quality from deep to get us moving.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
Had a couple nice passes, otherwise pretty damn terrible, along with the rest of them.

kundalini

That was one lazy, careless, performance with only the occasional sign of his talent on the ball.

Zoo

This is what happens when paired Fellaini. Midfield doesn't function and he ends up overplaying it.

Some his passing was sublime though.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Sloppy at times as Randall says but I also didn't like how deep he had to come to get the ball as there was no passing quality from deep to get us moving.
That's because there was literally nobody to pass from deep. Nobody in the back line can pass forward and Fellaini certainly can't. We really should have started Carrick. His absence makes me wonder if Mourinho has recognised what he can do and he might have a role to play against Stoke.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
That was one lazy, careless, performance with only the occasional sign of his talent on the ball.
Agreed, he seems arrogant at times and today it lead to him losing the ball in a lot of dangerous positions. He also tries to be too fancy at times, which also gets him in trouble.

Still, his talent is there for all to see. He can do something terrible, and the very next minute do something truly world class

LouisDanGaal

I guess you could describe his performance as another term for a lucky dip

Actually come to think of it, no idea why he was letting fellaini attempt to run the game. He had a couple of moments where him and mata and ibra looked on the verge of creating something but he should have demanded the ball off fellaini every time and done something.

askabob

It was infuriating to see Pogba deeper than Fellaini for half the match :houllier:

Devil may care

That's because there was literally nobody to pass from deep. Nobody in the back line can pass forward and Fellaini certainly can't. We really should have started Carrick. His absence makes me wonder if Mourinho has recognised what he can do and he might have a role to play against Stoke.
At this point I am wondering why he kept Carrick, surely it was for night's like this when he rests Blind and Herrera and we are playing in a secondary competition against lower level opposition, yet he plays a tree that we didn't need.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

I think it is a vital step for him to improve ie helping out in the build-up phase - so i didn't mind it at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.