Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

DannyDee

Hmm - makes sense but it assumes that Pogba will be able to match Lampards goals which I doubt if he has too much defensive responsibility. (Let's hope he also loses his fascination for hitting the woodwork!)

Lampard was abit under rated in my opinion: he was a class above Gerrard and as influencial for Chelsea as Scholes was for us. Of course I'm expecting Pogba to deliver to those standards but not sure he can if he is constantly tracking back.
I think we will rely more on Pogba dictating play from deep more than Chelsea relied on Lampard, so I don't think he'll match Lampard's goal totals (especially if he isn't taking pk's). Lampard's off the ball movement and ability to poach goals was remarkable. Although, I wouldn't agree with him being as influential as Scholes, who was basically our metronome when we were at our best controlling the tempo of the game. Lampard was great but in a different way. Pogba's overall skill set of those 3 is closest to Gerrard, but he's more athletic, and I think playing on good teams while developing has allowed him to play a much more controlled and positionally disciplined game, which Gerrard never really had which is why he was at his best is a very free role covered by Mascherano with Xabi Alonso dictating play from deep.

Most all-time greats are truly unique players. It will be really interesting to see if Pogba can take that major step next year. His skill-set is so unique that I can't wait to see what he has in store.

Trizy

Need a massive game from Pogba if were gonna win the Super Cup. He's our most important player simple as that.

Once he adds more goals to his game hell be our game changer.

ManuMou

As of now......

In terms of his best position, Pogba is somewhere in between #10 and box-to-box CM.

Comparatively, Pogba is very similar to Lampard. Things that differentiate them include Lampard is better at goal/assist due to his better final 3rd movement and finishing, whereas Pogba is better at defensive/combative and better at playing from slightly deeper role than Lampard.

That said, he is still vry young (for a CM) and probably has another 10 years. He could still develop into other roles so who knows.

Reactions: Sultan

Mr.Ridiculous__

The name says it all
As of now......

In terms of his best position, Pogba is somewhere in between #10 and box-to-box CM.

Comparatively, Pogba is very similar to Lampard. Things that differentiate them include Lampard is better at goal/assist due to his better final 3rd movement and finishing, whereas Pogba is better at defensive/combative and better at playing from slightly deeper role than Lampard.

That said, he is still vry young (for a CM) and probably has another 10 years. He could still develop into other roles so who knows.
He is very different to Lampard. Infact he is an unique talent. He combines playmaking, with box to box grit with an eye for goal.

ManuMou

He is very different to Lampard. Infact he is an unique talent. He combines playmaking, with box to box grit with an eye for goal.
1. Playmaking (includes creativity)
2. B2B
3. Goal
4. Assist (you didn't mention)
5. Long range passing (you didn't mention. Well you could incorporate this into playmaking, but not all playmakers hav long range passing, so I would separate it in this case)

Both Pogba and Lampard hav all these attributes, to a different extent (not 100% the same)

Lampard may not be his best comparison, but he is very close.

Akshay

Staff
1. Playmaking
2. B2B
3. Goal
5. Long range passing (you didn't mention)

Both Pogba and Lampard hav all these attributes, to a different extent.

That's not a good way to compare though. By that measure you could say Scholes and Gerrard are similar too, despite all four being very different players.

ManuMou

That's not a good way to compare though. By that measure you could say Scholes and Gerrard are similar too, despite all four being very different players.
Well everyone's definition of "comparison" could be different.

Yes, I would say Pogba, Scholes, Lampard, and Gerrard are "similar". Generally, they are categorized as "CM or close-to-AM or somewhere in between". So in my post I chose Lampard among 4 of them.

Yes, I would say Pogba and Makelele are "not similar". Generally, they are categorized as "DM or some variants"

My point is, I see my "similar" equivalent to your "very different" (you probably look into more details)

I made the post because some people suggested Pogba should play as #10. To me, Pogba is no Sneijder/Ozil role under Jose. But rather he should play in a deeper, "similar" role like Lampard/Scholes/...

Anyway, if your perspective is different then I would say none of us are right/wrong. Just different perspective/definition. Just forget about my post then :cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: Sultan

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
On this day last year club announced Pogba deal (agreed fee).

#Pogback :D

Akshay

Staff
I made the post bcz some ppl suggested Pogba should play as #10. To me, Pogba is no Sneijder/Ozil role under Jose. But rather he should play in a deeper, "similar" role like Lampard/Scholes/...
Yeah, I agree that Pogba's best use is not as a #10, but rather as the more advanced central midfielder. He's far too complete and rounded to be used like Ozil.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Well everyone's definition of "comparison" could be different.

Yes, I would say Pogba, Scholes, Lampard, and Gerrard are "similar". Generally, ppl categorize these players as "CM or close-to-AM or somewhere in between". So in my post I chose Lampard among 4 of them.

Yes, I would say Pogba and Makelele are "not similar". Generally, ppl categorize these players as "DM or some variants"

My point is, I see my "similar" equivalent to your "very different" (you probably look into more details)

I made the post bcz some ppl suggested Pogba should play as #10. To me, Pogba is no Sneijder/Ozil role under Jose. But rather he should play in a deeper, "similar" role like Lampard/Scholes/...

Anyway, if your perspective is different then I would say none of us are right/wrong. Just different perspective/definition. Just forget about my post then :cool:
Hi buddy,

Love your detailed posts. However, only slight issue is your tendency to overuse of "bold" in your posts. We generally dislike posts where people capitalise sentences. This is not too dissimilar.

ManuMou

Hi buddy,

Love your detailed posts. However, only slight issue is your tendency to overuse of "bold" in your posts. We generally dislike posts where people capitalise sentences. This is not too dissimilar.
Noted. Thanks

Mr.Ridiculous__

The name says it all
1. Playmaking (includes creativity)
2. B2B
3. Goal
5. Long range passing (you didn't mention. Well you could incorporate this into playmaking, but not all playmakers hav long range passing, so I would separate it in this case)

Both Pogba and Lampard hav all these attributes, to a different extent (not 100% the same)

Your excess use of bold text doesn't necessarily negate my point.
Pogba is nothing like Lampard.

FromTheBench

He is really irritating at times. Really needs to produce more output as he is a luxury player in general play.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Awful timid performance so far.

He has his Matic plug in so what's the excuse now?

Josep Dowling

Still can't believe he went to shoot when he had Lingard and Micky on either side.

Eddy_JukeZ

I don't know what it is with him in the big games.

Seems to try too hard and it doesn't come natural.

Hopefully just a 1 off game.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Another game against superior opposition, another game he's failing to step up in.

He's still an amazing talent and one of my favourite players to watch when he's on it, but it's disappointing just how bad he becomes against said opposition.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
He's lacking the maturity that Kroos and Modric do have. Time is on his side though, however it'd be nice if he could impose himself more tonight.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Reverted to last seasons big game form after the opening 15 minutes where he played well. He just goes hiding and then the times he does get it, tries to do too much and holds on way too long. That counter he fecked up was idiotic play really.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
The way he ignored Mhki on that counter. :rolleyes: Against teams like Madrid you rarely get those opportunities. You need to make the most of them. Pogba turned a 3 v 2 into a shot from 20 yards. Poor decision making.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Another game against superior opposition, another game he's failing to step up in.

He's still an amazing talent and one of my favourite players to watch when he's on it, but it's disappointing just how bad he becomes against said opposition.
He's not a no.10. He can't finish and his decision making is poor. Asking him to be the attacking mid is a waste of a world class box to box midfielder.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo

The way we're playing I don't think anybody would step up, it's not just Pogba. It's difficult when you're against far superior opposition.

Yagami

Good post resistant
He's not a no.10. He can't finish and his decision making is poor. Asking him to be the attacking mid is a waste of a world class box to box midfielder.
He's been incredibly deep this half, though. Like, pretty much a defensive midfielder. I'm not making it out like it's entirely his fault as, bar Matic, we've been poor overall but I just want him to do something because we all know he can.
The way we're playing I don't think anybody would step up, it's not just Pogba. It's difficult when you're against far superior opposition.
I agree but that counter attack where he didn't pass to Mkhi was so bad. He has so much talent and I want to see him be able to show talent in the big games; not just against cannon fodder.

Gee Male

Brainless. When acting n instinct he's great, but as soon as he has to put thought into something he makes the wrong choice almost every time.

Says a lot when our 'world class' midfielder ends up playing left wing back like he did towards the end of the first half.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
He's been incredibly deep this half, though. Like, pretty much a defensive midfielder. I'm not making it out like it's entirely his fault as, bar Matic, we've been poor overall but I just want him to do something because we all know he can.

I agree but that counter attack where he didn't pass to Mkhi was so bad. He has so much talent and I want to see him be able to show talent in the big games; not just against cannon fodder.
He's been deep but when we go forward he's having to run with the ball rather than pass it because we've got no options up front. He's playing the link man. And he's pretty rubbish at it.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Think he's been fine. One of our better players at keeping the ball under Madrid pressure. Decision making in the final third has been a bit off, though.
He made one bad decision by not passing the ball to Mkhitaryan and kicked the ball out once as there wasn't any player to pass. People are out with their knives already.

AmanNits04

Should have passed to Lingard or Mikhi on that counter. Although I am not really worried about him. He will have a much better season when compared to previous.

Yagami

Good post resistant
He's been deep but when we go forward he's having to run with the ball rather than pass it because we've got no options up front. He's playing the link man. And he's pretty rubbish at it.
True. Our lack of intent to attack is annoying and will hamper the likes of Pogba. Not to mention our off the ball movement is awful, which, with Pogba's excellent vision and passing skills, makes even more annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.