Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

macheda14

This. I still can’t believe a mastermind like Mourinho keep giving him defensive duties like he is a Vieira or Scholes. Let him play like Zidane and he’ll be the best player in the world. Trust me.

Someone give this message to Jose.
Yeh, let me just get him on the phone.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Can Kante create or score goals? Then what’s the point of being a midfielder?

People who criticize Pogba for not being defensive should use the same logic while comparing kante’s Offensive provess!
I'm not criticizing Pogba though, someone can think that one player is brilliant and that an other one is better.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
This. I still can’t believe a mastermind like Mourinho keep giving him defensive duties like he is a Vieira or Scholes. Let him play like Zidane and he’ll be the best player in the world. Trust me.

Someone give this message to Jose.
Do you think Deschamps doesn't give him defensive duties :lol::lol: Rhetorical question btw.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
We really should have bought Kante in 2016. Brings a level of consistency out of Pogba. Hes been really good overall though this tournament. Still feel theres a level more for him to reach, and I wouldnt put him in the team of the tournament ahead of Kante/modric/rakitic/coutinho, but he has been very good.

Really hope he can get that consistency next season. Started the season off well, them his form fell off a cliff and was mostly poor after that with random good games. He'll probably miss the start of the season with them going all the way now, so I'd expect a bit of a slow start to the season, just hopefully by September hes in the swing of things.

Also definitely think he generally plays 'smarter' on the right side. On the left he tries being a left winger too often and takes too many shots. Hes much better at coming in off the right as he looks for the pass rather then shot.
Yeah, agreed. It was quite an obvious transfer at the time as well - fee was really low, Kante had excelled at Leicester and we were weak in the defensive midfield area. Given we were in the process of targeting Pogba for a world record fee, it also makes sense given they were going to be teammates for the national side.

edcunited1878

Exactly and that post doesn't even make sense.
With context from the previous posts prior to mine, it makes sense because some posters believe Kante has been the best central midfielder in the tournament. Overall, the pairing of Pogba and Kante is the best in the world as evident by this tournament. Pogba's performances this tournament have been consistent 7s at minimum and he's been at the heart of many of the goals and good buildup for his team.

Pogba understands his role in this French squad to a T and trusts and knows what exactly his teammates are doing to support their effort. United need to continue to get quality players and gain consistency within the squad.

Pogba is the least of United's problems.

kouroux

Yeah, agreed. It was quite an obvious transfer at the time as well - fee was really low, Kante had excelled at Leicester and we were weak in the defensive midfield area. Given we were in the process of targeting Pogba for a world record fee, it also makes sense given they were going to be teammates for the national side.
Kanté didn't have that current untouchable status for the national at the time we could have bought him

Ekeke

Can Kante create or score goals? Then what’s the point of being a midfielder?

People who criticize Pogba for not being defensive should use the same logic while comparing kante’s Offensive provess!
Yes he can, but more importantly he does his job getting the ball to more dangerous attacking players while winning the ball 6 times like today

ti vu

One thing I’ve noticed is how switched on he and Mbappe are together. Pogba is the only one who seems to be able to help the youngster exploit his pace behind defences.
It's mutual benefit. Pogba benefit from Mbappe who always available and reliable to give the pass to.
We really should have bought Kante in 2016. Brings a level of consistency out of Pogba. Hes been really good overall though this tournament. Still feel theres a level more for him to reach, and I wouldnt put him in the team of the tournament ahead of Kante/modric/rakitic/coutinho, but he has been very good.

Really hope he can get that consistency next season. Started the season off well, them his form fell off a cliff and was mostly poor after that with random good games. He'll probably miss the start of the season with them going all the way now, so I'd expect a bit of a slow start to the season, just hopefully by September hes in the swing of things.

Also definitely think he generally plays 'smarter' on the right side. On the left he tries being a left winger too often and takes too many shots. Hes much better at coming in off the right as he looks for the pass rather then shot.
We were in for Kante, but he already chose Chelsea.

Kante is not the sole reason Pogba is performing more consistent. Prior to this WC, they didn't always work well together. Pogba problem is more about himself than anything. He did look like he tried to take a piss in some lower profile games with us and backfire. Here at the WC he is more focused and determined to fulfil his required role which the key difference.

I would say Pogba has room for improvement (attacking wise), yet it's the case don'tfix what's not problem for the time being, and having Pogba doing a more restricted role. So it's not all rosy partnership. It's just best for the team and shouldn't be complained about

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Kanté didn't have that current untouchable status for the national at the time we could have bought him
Oh yeah, completely agree - Kanté as a world class player came out of nowhere at Leicester and he only made his debut the year he was transferred to Chelsea.

But it was clear at that point he was a world class midfielder and would become a staple of the French national team for years.

Kamprad

Do you think Deschamps doesn't give him defensive duties :lol::lol: Rhetorical question btw.
I only watch Sweden’s games this competition. So I’ll probably see how Deschamps use him in the final.

But it doesn’t matter. You kids just trust me and you'll be just fine.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Jose tried to get Kante but he had already got everything sorted with Chelsea. We were close to a Kante Pogba partnership, would have been unreal.

Posh Red

If France go on to win, does he have an outside shout for player of the tournament? Or has there been another player on the team who has clearly our performed him? Mbappe possibly?

breakout67

Supports
Man City
If France go on to win, does he have an outside shout for player of the tournament? Or has there been another player on the team who has clearly our performed him? Mbappe possibly?
Mbappe has had 1 good game. I would say Kante and Pogba have been the best for France.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Golden Ball potential thus far from Pogba. Two more strong performances and a France World Cup victory and I think he’ll get it (providing Mbappe doesn’t go mental and score a few more).

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I'd say Kante has been their most consistent and high level. Depends on who has big performances in the semis and final though. Could easily be griezmann if they win despite underwhelming before today.

kouroux

Golden Ball potential thus far from Pogba. Two more strong performances and a France World Cup victory and I think he’ll get it (providing Mbappe doesn’t go mental and score a few more).
There is no way he gets it ahead of Griezmann. Trophyless season in a very boring Man United team kills all his chances. Griezmann won the EL and played in the final

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
There is no way he gets it ahead of Griezmann. Trophyless season in a very boring Man United team kills all his chances. Griezmann won the EL and played in the final
Think it's for world cup best player.

ti vu

Fair enough. I imagine performances in the final will have a bit influence in deciding the eventual winner.

Edit: @bosnian_red beat me to it.
It's not always the case. Messi won it last tournament when he's no where near the best in the KO stage let alone semi and final.

FIFA best player at WC is kinda a popular contest. Mbappe and Griezmann are more likely to get the award even performance while Pogba may edge them

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
The Golden Ball takes into account World Cup performances only. The Ballon D’Or (also ‘golden ball’) is what you are, quite correctly, referencing (and no, Pogba hasn’t a hope of winning that this year).

Velvet Revolver

Yes he can, but more importantly he does his job getting the ball to more dangerous attacking players while winning the ball 6 times like today
But does he? in the same sense Pogba can do the defensive work while putting a sublime cross for any attacker to tap in. You can't have specifics for one player and not use it for the other!

kouroux

The Golden Ball takes into account World Cup performances only. The Ballon D’Or (also ‘golden ball’) is what you are, quite correctly, referencing (and no, Pogba hasn’t a hope of winning that this year).
I misunderstood you. You are right, his defo has his chances

Greck

Not a fan of Deschamps but he seems to be getting into Pogba's head what Mourinho couldn't ie defensive diligence and when to keep it simple. Obviously it helps that he has Kante to do donkey work and Mbappe/Griezman to feed.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
True, but i was just saying comparing two different types of players to argue one being better that the other is not right.
I responded to a post that stated that Pogba was arguably the best midfielder of the World Cup and I responded that for me it was Kanté.

Ekeke

But does he? in the same sense Pogba can do the defensive work while putting a sublime cross for any attacker to tap in. You can't have specifics for one player and not use it for the other!
Yes he does. Not every game, but Kante has shown the ability to break with his team and make passes to help setup chances

Skills

Snitch
It makes you wonder about why he wanted to play in advance position for United.
It's cause he's thrived there for Juventus, and he's got more than enough in his locker to do it. He's just a weird player, has got so much in his locker that I guess it's always going to be impossible to make use of every one of his skill-set simultaneously.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Just no no no no no no no no no no no no no. No. Nope. :nono:
I've seen United win every trophy there is to win. We dominated England when I was growing up to the point where I took titles for granted. I will almost certainly see United win the CL again. I never expected to see England win anything in my lifetime. It's a no brainer for me.

Vanrouge

I've seen United win every trophy there is to win. We dominated England when I was growing up to the point where I took titles for granted. I will almost certainly see United win the CL again. I never expected to see England win anything in my lifetime. It's a no brainer for me.
Well, you have every right to that viewpoint, but I'll never, ever understand it. I want United to win everything and never stop. I'm English born and raised, and of course I'd be ecstatic if England won the World Cup, but I'd take another United Premier League title over that, let alone a Champions League title. I might be talked into sacrificing an FA Cup win for an England World Cup, though. And I'm not even sure about that, lol.

el3mel

Played very well and has a big role in the second goal. He has been doing a proper CM performance for France the whole tournament for now.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
On his Instagram story it pans round to show a crowd waiting for him, and there's what looks like a soldier with a patch his back that says HOMO :lol:

Jib

Pogba wants to be a superstar off the pitch but not in the pitch.

I already had my doubts at Euro 2016 and his 2 seasons here have shown he didn't have the mentality/position on the pitch of a superstar.

This world cup is definitely showing that Pogba is a more a water carrier than a superstar.

I can't wait to see Adidas' reaction to this "new" Pogba. It's not a good thing for them because slowly, Pogba is killing the hype that he built in Italy.

But for Mourinho and Deschamps, it's definetly a great thing. They never saw him as a guy good enough to build the team around and now, Pogba seems to have the same opinion :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.