Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dion

I think so yes both in terms of playmaking and in scoring goals. Pogba hasn't been near DeBruyne's level.

DeBruyne
xA 7.7
Assists 9

Pogba
xA 2.8
Assists 9

Pogba would be at 3 assists this season if it wasn't for players like Martial and Lingard having very high G/xG-ratios. DeBruyne would've been at 8 if it wasn't for goals like Sterlings 2-1 against Southampton.

Compare the G and xG ratios for De Bruyne versus Pogba:

De Bruyne
xG: 3.3
Goals: 6

Pogba
xG: 5.1
Goals: 3

De Bruyne have scored six goals from an expected 3. Meaning he scores goals twice as many goals as expected. Pogba have an almost inverted ratio. He's scored 3 goals from an expected 5, just above half of what is expected.

These differences might even out in the long run. But so far the two haven't been comparable this season.
So the problem with xG and xA is that people don't understand them.

Take Martial's goal tonight for example. It's a very low xG chance, because xG is taking the success rate of every shot from that position. How many of those shots do you think were as good a chance Pogba put on for Martial?

Pogba is a bit of a unique player, he gets into unusual positions and plays passes that totally catch the opposition off guard. For a player who just fires in crosses from the win (which isn't what KdB does fwiw) they will stick one up for a close range header that will be 0.7 xG, Pogba will play 2 weird passes to set up players for chances that by position alone are xG 0.3, but because of the timing and quality of the pass are effectively 0.5xG chances. The xG will say 0.7 vs 0.6 when in actuality it's probably closer to 0.7 vs 1.0.

Pogba is probably over-performing in terms of assists right now, but expected stats are not good at such in depth analysis of extreme players.

sherrinford

If he could only improve the defnsive side of his game, which costs us against better teams (more than people realize) he would without doubt be the best midfielder in the world when on form IMO. Modric is the best right now though.
Yes, defensively Modric reminds me of Makelele....
Pogba is by no means as secure defensively as a great many midfielders but my god is this overstated. He is a natural central midfielder, the way folk talk about his defensive deficiencies you would think it was Martial we were playing there. What did people think of Pirlo - defensively probably the worst top level holding midfielder ever? And how on earth did Juventus cope with the two of them in the same midfield?

Canagel

There was a crossfield pass to Shaw in the first half and it felt like time stood still. Got a gif anyone..? Unreal passes tonight from Pogba.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
There was a crossfield pass to Shaw in the first half and it felt like time stood still. Got a gif anyone..? Unreal passes tonight from Pogba.
Yeah, I initially thought it was way overhit, but once it hit the ground, it decelerated nicely for Shaw to reach it. I don't know if the ground was already soaked, (and if so, if all that was luck or calculation), but it felt like you said it.

Prodigal7

Yes, defensively Modric reminds me of Makelele....
Pogba is by no means as secure defensively as a great many midfielders but my god is this overstated. He is a natural central midfielder, the way folk talk about his defensive deficiencies you would think it was Martial we were playing there. What did people think of Pirlo - defensively probably the worst top level holding midfielder ever? And how on earth did Juventus cope with the two of them in the same midfield?
Pirlo was actually good defensively... Not in the air obviously but his positioning and reading of the defensive game was brilliant. Pogba is poor off the ball in general compared to most of our team, he gets caught out of position and can make some poor decisions when defending. Hopefully he wants to improve on it.

James Peril

xG and xA, what a load of nonsense. Absolutely ridiculous that it’s getting so much attention. It’s probably created by people that never played football at a decent level.

For example; some guy above me told us Martial’s goal was a difficult shot to make. Yet Martial scored a similar goal last week against Everton, again after a pass from Pogba. Martial can score those goals, Pogba knows it. Would Pogba pass to let’s say Fellaini in the exact same position? Probably not, we’ll never know - the system cannot possibly incorporate the brilliance of the individual player and his choices.

An «expected» ratio for one player cannot be compared to another in the same situation. The best players make the best decisions, it leads to goals.

As for de Bruyne vs. Pogba, I am still in the KdB-crew for this season (and Pogba is my favorite player by far). KdB has the same pass on him and is even slightly more attacking and penetrating. We cannot compare these players of course, Pogba is a giant doing things at slower pace, a controller - KdB is a quick bastard doing stuff at higher pace, very often being the 2nd assist to many goals/attacks.

eat_grass

I think [Pogba's] happy. I think he's happy the way the team is playing. Very adapted to him. He's happy because the team is changing the profile, and the profile is going more in his direction.

Sylar

When he plays, the team plays and normally always wins (doesnt lose it seems).
Fantastic performance.
We need to keep him fit (and ensure he doesnt get suspended again).

You can see the huge difference he makes to Lukaku too.

Antonedwin

89M bargain, people will appreciate him more if he also start to turn on in big games and winning trophies
he is capable of doing anything zidane did, it's just he need to do it in big matches

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I think so yes both in terms of playmaking and in scoring goals. Pogba hasn't been near DeBruyne's level.

DeBruyne
xA 7.7
Assists 9

Pogba
xA 2.8
Assists 9

Pogba would be at 3 assists this season if it wasn't for players like Martial and Lingard having very high G/xG-ratios. DeBruyne would've been at 8 if it wasn't for goals like Sterlings 2-1 against Southampton.

De Bruyne

Pogba

De Bruyne have scored six goals from an expected 3. Meaning he scores goals twice as many goals as expected. Pogba have an almost inverted ratio. He's scored 3 goals from an expected 5, just above half of what is expected.

These differences might even out in the long run. But so far the two haven't been comparable this season.
What the feck is this?

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout

DeBruyne
xA 7.7
Assists 9

Pogba
xA 2.8
Assists 9

De Bruyne

Pogba

:lol: These xG and xA

Glad he's finally getting the recognition his ability deserves. Far too many of our own fans couldn't see his ability last season and some still cant. We are a completely different team with him playing.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Pogba is one of those players you watch and think 'I wish he played for United'... It's surreal. He's just a different league on his own

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I think he didn't need 2 seasons to adapt to the team, it was the other way around. Second season in and now everyone has just adapted to Pogba. Explains our shite performances without him.

Fuzzy Dunlop

DeBruyne
xA 7.7
Assists 9

Pogba
xA 2.8
Assists 9

De Bruyne

Pogba

Mate, I have a theory: If we take Pogba's G and xG ratios and apply the results in a simple formula, like the Stefan-Boltzmann law (L = σ e A T4) and compare it with Δs²=Δr²+r²Δθ², we'll see that we can ditch all this math nonsense and stop overcomplicating things for the sake of an argument. It's football (assists, goals), not the string theory.

SATA

Ours :drool:

Are his brothers any good as well? I seem to remember one of them plays for St Etienne when we played them in the EL and he was a far far level away from Paul

Yagami

Good post resistant
Ours :drool:

Are his brothers any good as well? I seem to remember one of them plays for St Etienne when we played them in the EL and he was a far far level away from Paul
Pogba's got that Goku natural ability, whereas his brothers are more in line with Raditz who I also loved, but still.

Ashley R1+O

Sublime player. When we sure up the midfield and get that extra player in the washup of the summer and free him he will be immense. In the free role, no defensive responsibility a midfielder who can attack while providing and scoring. Yes please!

eat_grass

Mate, I have a theory: If we take Pogba's G and xG ratios and apply the results in a simple formula, like the Stefan-Boltzmann law (L = σ e A T4) and compare it with Δs²=Δr²+r²Δθ², we'll see that we can ditch all this math nonsense and stop overcomplicating things for the sake of an argument. It's football (assists, goals), not the string theory.
I don't understand the hostility on this board toward advanced metrics and their deep analysis. It's bizarre. If "goals and assists" were enough to gage a fraction of a player's contributions, than why count passes, runs, tackles, duels, dribbles, etc.?

Step out of the dark ages and join the enlightened. :angel:

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Pogba's pass for the Martial goal wasn't easy at all. Look at the replay again and just look at his awareness.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Pogba's pass for the Martial goal wasn't easy at all. Look at the replay again and just look at his awareness.
Definitely. To me, it didn't even look like he saw Martial - he was just scanning the oppositions box.

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
I don't understand the hostility on this board toward advanced metrics and their deep analysis. It's bizarre. If "goals and assists" were enough to gage a fraction of a player's contributions, than why count passes, runs, tackles, duels, dribbles, etc.?

Step out of the dark ages and join the enlightened. :angel:
It's not that goals and assists are just enough, it's issues with xG xA stats. Does these stats consider whether the player receiving chance is Welbeck or RVN?

I read in this thread that a cross is considered as higher chance of goal according to stats, so does these stats consider how many players surrounds striker when he heads the ball and how much pressure is on him compared to player who receives pass near the edge of the box completely unmarked?

Does these stats consider players who are very good at shooting first time rather than players who takes multiple touches and messes up easy chances?

There are so many things that can't be measured using stats, so for that reason alone I don't consider some algorithm as means to judge creativity.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Some still think he wouldn't get into Madrid's midfield @giorno ?

Powerful but with flair, and an eye for final pass. He's like DDG, which I feel very honored to watch them playing for United.

SATA

That pass to Valencia for his goal was even more ridiculous. I thought Pogba was playing it blindly to no one and then i saw Antonio getting to it

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
-----------lukkaku---------
-----martial----sanchez--
-----------pogba--------------

With that front 3 Pogba is gonna completely feast on games. Let's hope it happens :drool:
Where's our Messe? I actually want to see Lingard there for Lukaku, which might be more suitable for Sanchez and Martial.

Giggs86

Been a long time since we had a genuine world class player who undoubtedly can walk into any starting 11 in the world.

RedCurry

DeBruyne
xA 7.7
Assists 9

Pogba
xA 2.8
Assists 9

De Bruyne

Pogba

DeBruyne
xA 7.7
Assists 9

Pogba
xA 2.8
Assists 9

De Bruyne

Pogba

The expected assist stat is a bit bs.

I mean you could argue that the two goals Valencia scored this season, which were both Pogba’s assists, weren’t expected because it was after all Valencia(I still love him) but he put in a perfectly weighted pass to an open player inside the box. Those are assists alright.

Then there was that one assist where he headed the ball into the goal but it deflected off of Rashford’s back and went in which I agree isn’t expected assist but is an expected goal. Arguable if his header that bounced off the post for Bailly to tap in into an empty net would count as expected assist. Martial header against Newcastle, Lingard tap-in against Arsenal. And these are just the ones I can remember.

Mindhunter

Can we please create a new thread and quarantine all xG and other such stats in there? I know, maybe too hopeful.

Footyislife

But actually, it's not.
Tied for assists with KDB, and short 3 goals. However he's played 10 games less and in a more defensive role than the one KDB plays. Not sure which player I'd rather have. My heart says Pogba!

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Keep playing him in advanced positions.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
There's a distinct lack of giffage in this thread given the praise he's getting. I'm sat at a fecking X-ray source for 16 hours straight and none of you have thought to post a twatting gif? Incredible.

Status
Not open for further replies.