Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
So in order to unleash Pogba potential we need to buy Kante-Matuidi/Nzonzi in the midle and Griezman-Mbappe upfront ?

Dont get the point that he has a great WC. Even in the 1st half of the Final, he barely performed. It was Kante running out the grass to cope with Modric and Rakitic. While Matuidi played more wider on the left. Pogba did litle to help Kante. That is why the later get booked and being substituted by Zonzi.

In second half, little had changed. Only after Croatia ran out of gas, that Pogba could elevate his game. And please, 2 goals of Mbappe and Pogba same with Mandzukic goal were flukes. 2 because the tired defenders and one due to shite GK.

I support France, they were good. But Pogba is not their best player. Pavard was miles better. And for being arrogant at the end of the game by Sssh-ing gesture, shown that he is overvalued himself too much. More respect for the Giroud, helped the defense tirelessly.

If his agents find the clubs who will pay us for profit, dont have any objection for having him sold.
Well at least we've found Graeme Souness' caf account.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
We are refusing to sell a player who's agent has made it known he wants out (Martial). The chances of Pogba leaving are nil.

Stacks

I've been a Pogba pessimist, to be honest. He played a season in which I was convinced that he had gone down a level after he joined us. After Matci came in, I was sure he'd be twice the player last season, but it wasn't to be.

Closely observing his World Cup campaign I've come to believe that Pogba is incapable of being a central midfielder. He is an attacking midfielder through and through. His effort in defence was still barely above par this World Cup. It was the engine of Kante that made him look better than he actually is while defending. He needs a runner around him who can hustle and win him balls. I guess I kind of always knew this subconsciously but never fully accepted it as it seemed such a waste that a midfielder of his size, power and strength can only be used going forward. But in that second half, he really stepped it up defensively and it seemed for a moment that maybe he can be more than just an attacker.

Bottom line, Mourinho needs to set-up his midfield with ball-winners behind Pogba and let him wreak havoc going forward. Mourinho needs to get an engine beside Matic who has Herrera's hustle but with the strength and power like that of Kante. This is the only way he will succeed with us.
Need to get a thesaurus and double check the meaning of "closely observed". never have I seen someone so wrong.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
Sorry if this has already been cleared up, but do any French posters here know what was said on one of Pogba's social media videos last night when he was filming in France's dressing room?

Another player (I think it was Matuidi) was saying something in French about "Manchester" and "Juve". :rolleyes:

James Peril

So in order to unleash Pogba potential we need to buy Kante-Matuidi/Nzonzi in the midle and Griezman-Mbappe upfront ?

Dont get the point that he has a great WC. Even in the 1st half of the Final, he barely performed. It was Kante running out the grass to cope with Modric and Rakitic. While Matuidi played more wider on the left. Pogba did litle to help Kante. That is why the later get booked and being substituted by Zonzi.

In second half, little had changed. Only after Croatia ran out of gas, that Pogba could elevate his game. And please, 2 goals of Mbappe and Pogba same with Mandzukic goal were flukes. 2 because the tired defenders and one due to shite GK.

I support France, they were good. But Pogba is not their best player. Pavard was miles better. And for being arrogant at the end of the game by Sssh-ing gesture, shown that he is overvalued himself too much. More respect for the Giroud, helped the defense tirelessly.

If his agents find the clubs who will pay us for profit, dont have any objection for having him sold.
Absolute drivel, sorry. "He barely performed"? He was very solid, kept control of the ball when Croatia were pressing very high. In the second half he excelled and played nicely in attack, slotting that pass for Mbappe before he scored himself. One of France's better players yesterday, as he often is for us. Pavard plays in an easier role where you attack average full-backs and also have the stability of a better team. Pogba were up against Modric and Rakitic, amongst the best midfielders in the world.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
He's the best passer in the world. One of the most exciting too.

He has his flaws but is immense. Even his worst games he will split a team open with a pass or dribble.

Frankly we are lucky to have him as we were in shambles. Enjoy watching him play.

Classical Mechanic

What a career he’s had by 25.

4 league titles
3 domestic cups
Europa League
U20 World Cup
Senior World Cup

Team of the tournament at the u17 & u19 Euros
Golden player at u20 World Cup
UEFA team of the year 2015
World team of the year 2015
Best young player at 2014 World Cup
Surely team of the tournament at 2018 World Cup.

Really hope he doesn’t leave the club.

Stacks

He's the best passer in the world. One of the most exciting too.

He has his flaws but is immense. Even his worst games he will split a team open with a pass or dribble.

Frankly we are lucky to have him as we were in shambles. Enjoy watching him play.
probably Cesc Fabregas to be honest and Kroos is in there too.

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
What a career he’s had by 25.

4 league titles
3 domestic cups
Europa League
U20 World Cup
Senior World Cup

Team of the tournament at the u17 & u19 Euros
Golden player at u20 World Cup
UEFA team of the year 2015
World team of the year 2015
Best young player at 2014 World Cup
Surely team of the tournament at 2018 World Cup.

Really hope he doesn’t leave the club.
Europa league player of the season too.

Classical Mechanic

probably Cesc Fabregas to be honest and Kroos is in there too.
Depends what you are looking for. Kroos is probably the best at a basic passing game. KDB is probably the best at penetrative passing and crossing whereas as Pogba is probably the best at those jaw dropping passes the like we saw last night.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
And even more people saying the player in second place on that list had a poor tournament (FWIW i would disagree with them)

It is an odd stat, though. And bound to overlook the many good things that Kante does.
Water carriers always get less recognition than passers. Kante is one of the best disruptive midfielders in the world but its understandeable why Pogba can be seen as better. Similar to how Casemiro is perceived in the Madrid midfield (same for Makelele when he was at Madrid).

meamth

And even more people saying the player in second place on that list had a poor tournament (FWIW i would disagree with them)

It is an odd stat, though. And bound to overlook the many good things that Kante does.
De Bryune had an excellent run on that tournament, much of his passes went through but our Lukaku missed many of those chances.

I tend to agree that the statistics favors the attacking players, but this pretty much highlights the importance of Pogba in the French team. Contrary to some people belief that Kante is much more important, but fail to realize that both are excellent midfield combination. Complement each other, Pogba made Kante job's easier and vice versa.

TheReligion

Abusive
So we have a player bang on form who has just won the world cup..

..yet people are worried we are going to sell him without any reason whatsoever.

Don't get the Caf. Everyone should be delighted and looking forward to the new season! Well done Paul.

meamth

So we have a player bang on form who has just won the world cup..

..yet people are worried we are going to sell him without any reason whatsoever.

Don't get the Caf. Everyone should be delighted and looking forward to the new season! Well done Paul.
The media needs some juice before the season starts. Nothing sells story more than United.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He had a great understanding with the speedy Mbappe. I'm hoping we will see something similar in the not too distant future with Tahith Chong..

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Its a list suited toqards attacking players so no defensive player will be on there.
Pogba also won more duels than any other midfielder at the tournament and created more chances than everyone bar Griezmann and De Bruyne (and one more?) but they're on set-pieces.

Jib

A leader when he isn't with Mourinho :drool:

Loublaze

ATLien
Really?

Now this I do agree with. If you honestly think he’s been no better in the WC there’s no point in pursuing it, but I believe he has been and wonder why. As you say, it’s not the role. If it’s his mental attitude, why is it so poor at United? Are France’s players really that much better than United’s? Does he simply not like Jose and finds it hard to motivate himself playing for him? Does he need a greater degree of direction and instruction than he gets at United? I have no idea.
Did any of his WC performances top his match winning performance against City coming back from 2-0 down at halftime? What about his MOTM performance against Arsenal when we beat them 1-3 at the Emirates? What about his double against Fenerbahce in the Europa league and his performance in the Europa cup final itself against Ajax? There are more examples to draw from. I do agree however that his performance levels went down during his apparent 'standoff' and cold relations with Mourinho over his role in the team. He genuinely looked disinterested. The City performance was after all of that. Consistency has been the biggest issue but we've seen him do more in a United shirt.

Last edited:

Jib

You would be the last person on planet Earth to know how is he with Mourinho.
At the beggining of the season he was the 4th captain behind Carrick, Valencia and Ibra.

But in the middle of the season, Mourinho demoted Pogba to the captain's list by giving the armband to Smalling and De Gea ahead of him.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
At the beggining of the season he was the 4th captain behind Carrick, Valencia and Ibra.

But in the middle of the season, Mourinho demoted Pogba to the captain's list by giving the armband to Smalling and De Gea ahead of him.
Or maybe he just rotated it when Carrick and Valencia weren't playing?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Did any of his WC performances top his match winning performance against City coming back from 2-0 down at halftime? What about his MOTM performance against Arsenal when we beat them 1-3 at the Emirates? What about his double against Fenerbahce in the Europa league and his performance in the Europa cup final itself against Ajax? There are more examples to draw from. I do agree however that his performance levels went down during his apparent 'standoff' and cold relations with Mourinho over his role in the team. He genuinely looked disinterested. The City performance was after all of that. Consistency has been the biggest issue but we've seen him do more in a United shirt.
Yes, against City we have been dominated almost the entire game, his winning performance was out of his midfielder's role. The win was welcomed but the performance wasn't and I'm pretty sure that someone as meticulous as Mourinho didn't like it one bit. The huge difference between Pogba's performances during the WC and that game, is that the former are repeatable, they are within the realm of a very good CM they are based on the basics of his role. For me that's how you judge a player, you wouldn't judge Thuram on his game against Croatia.

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout

According to Tevez, Pogba was the best player in the world cup.

SteveTheRed

Impressed with his speech in the French dressing room, he has real passion there...I just worry that he isn't able to bring that over to club football.

Which would be understandable, he is going to be more passionate, making sacrifices for his national team, but he needs to be able to give something similar back to United.

Status
Not open for further replies.