Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pace Abuser

He’s fecking wound me up no end this season but I hope he can change my mind on him, played great against Huddersfield and my MOTM.

Was wondering what he was pointing at when he scored the 2nd, I’m probably being dumb but I thought it was the 20 legend banner, which if that was the case ok great you’re happy Mourinhos gone, so am I but just leave it now, am I reading too much into that? Or was he actually pointing at Santa’s sleigh as it he flew over old Trafford taking in a Boxing Day game, cause we all know he’s a United fan.
He was pointing at his family.

cheeky_backheel

Where do you get this idea that he's lackadaisical about football? His goal is to one day win the Balon D'or and be better than Messi and Ronaldo. Now that isn't going to happen, but the point is that's his goal. Any player who has that goal is completely serious about football.
This is one of the funniest things I have read in my life. When does having a high goal equates to having the work ethic and focus required to pursue it?

Being lackdaisical (or not) is not determined by the goals you set but by the work and focus you bring to bear. As far as I have seen, Pogba is lacking in that department. That lacking mentality is probably the only reason he may never be in the conversation of greatest midfielders of all time.

To me, Pogba could have been the Lebron of football with his mix of physique, skill and iq that I havent seen in any other midfielder (and I have been watching football for a very long time).

wub1234

Supports
Don't support a team
When you have a coach that disrespects you and doesn't value you, you aren't going to play well for them.
Firstly, it's debatable whether Mourinho disrespected him. For starters, no-one knows what goes on behind closed doors. However, if he did call him a 'virus', which has not been meaningfully substantiated, then it was after one of the most unprofessional performances that you are ever likely to witness. In that context, Pogba could reasonably expect some criticism.

In terms of whether he didn't value him, Mourinho was the manager when United paid a world record fee for Pogba. And he continually defended him when he was criticised for mediocre performances.

Regardless of this, it is always Pogba's responsibility to turn up and try his hardest. This is incumbent on any person in any job, let alone one of the world's top footballers. You can't have everything all your own way in life. You have certain responsibilities, and if you don't accept these responsibilities then you will attract criticism, particularly if you make yourself a massive public figure as Pogba has.

cheeky_backheel

Pogba has matured and that is seen in his stats for Man Utd. Also tactics and a manager that has disrespected him has hurt his game. He will be the best Midfielder in the world. Pogba had an excellent world Cup and scored and assisted in the World Cup final. Not many players can claim that. Not even players like Messi or Ronaldo who to some people are supposedly the best players ever.
His game is maturing but his mentality and focus still leaves much to be desired when compared to other great players.

To say Pogba had a great world cup is to have a very low standard. He didnt win a single MOTM award (where Kante and Umtiti each got one), was not in the golden ball conversation (that was Griezmann), and didnt make the team of the tournament.

For comparison, one can consider Lampard and Gerard, who are two very limited midfielders imo, but I respect their mentality and focus. That has helped them to do more with their limited abilities. Same cannot be said of Pogba.

With all due respect, Pogba has the potential to be a clear level above the likes of KDB.

Also you have been very disrespectful to Jay Jay Ockocha.
Did you follow his career at Frankfurt. This is what he was capable of
Do you think he fulfilled his potential?

Posh Red

Firstly, it's debatable whether Mourinho disrespected him. For starters, no-one knows what goes on behind closed doors. However, if he did call him a 'virus', which has not been meaningfully substantiated, then it was after one of the most unprofessional performances that you are ever likely to witness. In that context, Pogba could reasonably expect some criticism.

In terms of whether he didn't value him, Mourinho was the manager when United paid a world record fee for Pogba. And he continually defended him when he was criticised for mediocre performances.

Regardless of this, it is always Pogba's responsibility to turn up and try his hardest. This is incumbent on any person in any job, let alone one of the world's top footballers. You can't have everything all your own way in life. You have certain responsibilities, and if you don't accept these responsibilities then you will attract criticism, particularly if you make yourself a massive public figure as Pogba has.
I think this is a bit of a circular argument as some of us believe he just played badly whereas others think he was purposely not trying. One thing we know is that Mourinho disrespected Pogba in public once or twice eg the comments about his would cup performance or messing around with giving him the captaincy and then taking it away. I mean even if you think he was right to take the armband off him, why give it to him in the first place if you are unsure of his character? All seems a bit strange to me and Mourinho was definitely not afraid of taking him down a peg or two in public. Whether that’s the right thing to do is another debate.

wub1234

Supports
Don't support a team
Has, for example, Paul Scholes or Ryan Giggs never put in lethargic performances for United by the standards you’re applying to Pogba?
I have never seen Ryan Giggs or Paul Scholes doing flicks and kick-ups near their own box, losing the ball and gifting the opposition a chance. And I'm sure if they were here to defend themselves then they would state that they never gave anything less than 100% for United. Something that Pogba would find more difficult to claim.

Is Pogba the first top professional player, or indeed human being, to lose motivation and form under a manager?
No, but that does not make it right. But what particularly attracts criticism is that he himself draws so much attention to himself, and he attempts to place himself in the category of superstar footballer. He has done little to deserve this status, indeed at times he has been a liability.

Pogba attracts such strident negative narratives about his so-called “bad attitude”, “arrogance”, “laziness”, “unprofessionalism” etc from people that do not know him or his situation simply because the combination of his price tag, his extroverted/out-there nature and the fact that he’s black triggers a lot of bias in folks’ minds.
Oh yeah, I forgot that I was racist, thanks for reminding me.

wub1234

Supports
Don't support a team
I think this is a bit of a circular argument as some of us believe he just played badly whereas others think he was purposely not trying.
Well, as I've said several times in this thread, if you really care about the team then you don't start doing flicks and tricks near your own box, and gift the ball to the opposition. Players who really care don't do this, in fact I can't recall seeing any professional player do this in any other match.

People should remember this: it's always about the team. It's not about Paul Pogba's quest to create the most prominent public profile and highest number of social media GIFs possible. The team comes first, not your ego.

Stating that Pogba was 'not trying' is a strong statement, but suggesting that his attitude was unprofessional is completely fair, I think.

Eplel

Cristiano Ronaldo was also immature and we did concede few goals because of unnecessary mistakes he did in the midfield.

Needless to say, just because a player has a certain downside doesn't mean he's not quality.

mancan92

Haha pogba in that video. What a virus telling his team mates to go hard straight from the off.....

We don't want that kind of mentality in the team. Bin him

Seven Seas Sardines

He’s fecking wound me up no end this season but I hope he can change my mind on him, played great against Huddersfield and my MOTM.

Was wondering what he was pointing at when he scored the 2nd, I’m probably being dumb but I thought it was the 20 legend banner, which if that was the case ok great you’re happy Mourinhos gone, so am I but just leave it now, am I reading too much into that? Or was he actually pointing at Santa’s sleigh as it he flew over old Trafford taking in a Boxing Day game, cause we all know he’s a United fan.
I think he was pointing at where his family were sitting, just a guess though.

EB100

I have never seen Ryan Giggs or Paul Scholes doing flicks and kick-ups near their own box, losing the ball and gifting the opposition a chance. And I'm sure if they were here to defend themselves then they would state that they never gave anything less than 100% for United. Something that Pogba would find more difficult to claim.

No, but that does not make it right. But what particularly attracts criticism is that he himself draws so much attention to himself, and he attempts to place himself in the category of superstar footballer. He has done little to deserve this status, indeed at times he has been a liability.

Oh yeah, I forgot that I was racist, thanks for reminding me.
I saw Scholes and Giggs gift opportunities to the opposition with careless play several times over their careers. I also saw both put in lethargic performances many times.

Pogba would find it difficult to claim that he gives less than 100% for United? He’s said it multiples times!

Attempts to place himself in the category of superstar footballer? How does he do that? Did he ever claim to be a superstar?

And I don’t know if you are a racist, but you hold very evidence-free, negative opinions about Pogba. In any event, bias isn’t necessarily racism IMO - it’s an important mechanism every human being uses to make decisions about what to believe or how to act when they don’t have much information. No one, aside from those close to Paul Pogba, has much meaningful information about his application and character, and yet narratives about his arrogance, narcissism, laziness, unprofessionalism, etc are so heavy in the English media and sell pretty well amongst English fans. That is called bias! And if you think race isn’t a part of it, I’ve got a bridge to sell you.

In Rainbows

This is one of the funniest things I have read in my life. When does having a high goal equates to having the work ethic and focus required to pursue it?

Being lackdaisical (or not) is not determined by the goals you set but by the work and focus you bring to bear. As far as I have seen, Pogba is lacking in that department. That lacking mentality is probably the only reason he may never be in the conversation of greatest midfielders of all time.

To me, Pogba could have been the Lebron of football with his mix of physique, skill and iq that I havent seen in any other midfielder (and I have been watching football for a very long time).
No as far as you have seen he is not lacking in that department. It's all made up in your fantasy land. Where do you get the idea that he's not focused and doesn't work hard? Do you think Pogba is naively thinking that he can achieve his goal by not being focused when Ronaldo and Messi are famed for that? Is it the haircuts that make you think he's not focused? Him working on his brand? Is it him not tracking back? Then how on earth do you think Ronaldo was focused if he did all of that?

Face it, you have an irrational bias towards Pogba for god knows what reason.

Janson

Honestly I've watched a lot of old games of Bobby Charlton and he was a magical footballer, unbelievably good at so many things. I really think Pogba has a chance of being as good.
I think he does as well.

ash_86

If played in the position hes playing now on a consistent basis, to me he should be easily picking up about 15 league goals a season.
Yes, i think this is his best position. On top of his incredible assists ratio, it'll make him the best player in PL.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
His late run into the box reminds me so much of Lampard.
Kind of funny ,isn't it? Jose, who actually got the best out of Lampard couldn't get the best from Pogba. Not sure why Jose was expecting lot of defensive efforts from Pogba while he had other players to cover for Lampard at Chelsea.

One reason is Jose thought Pogba is much more rounded than Lampard and so, he could do much better. So may be he thought some tough love could do wonders while in the end ,it really back fired.

Kind of funny ,isn't it? Jose, who actually got the best out of Lampard couldn't get the best from Pogba. Not sure why Jose was expecting lot of defensive efforts from Pogba while he had other players to cover for Lampard at Chelsea.

One reason is Jose thought Pogba is much more rounded than Lampard and so, he could do much better. So may be he thought some tough love could do wonders while in the end ,it really back fired.
And it's not like he didn't have the players to cover for Pogba. He had Herrera and Matic but he chose to bench Herrera when he bought Matic :rolleyes:

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
And it's not like he didn't have the players to cover for Pogba. He had Herrera and Matic but he chose to bench Herrera when he bought Matic :rolleyes:
Benching Herrera is even more odd now we can see how well balanced that midfield three has looked, he had access to all three of them last season yet persisted with keeping Herrera on the bench.

RedCurry

Benching Herrera is even more odd now we can see how well balanced that midfield three has looked, he had access to all three of them last season yet persisted with keeping Herrera on the bench.
Any form of Herrera-Pogba-[insert any midfielder here] is going to look balanced especially against teams that may not have a lot of quality. Both players grew up with philosophy of moving the ball on the ground. Herrera is better tackler whereas Pogba is more creative. They compliment each other perfectly.

It's just that when we come up against another side with quality midfield, we might need another defensive mid and I suppose Matic is fine in that role.

ash_86

Pogba looks comfortable with 3 man MF and Jose likes 2 in the middle. Also we don't have Essien type players nor wingers like he would have wanted. We didn't look like 10% of what Jose's team looks like after 2.5 years and that's bad on the manager. He simply failed to grasp with modern times/ players.

EwanI Ted

Those other players (salah, zaha, sterling etc) are attackers that play further up the pitch while Pogba is notorious for losing the ball in our own half.
If you don’t think Pogba is an attacker, I can see where your problem with him stems from.

bond19821982

Exactly - all he needed to do was to put the right platform for him to shine. Instead he chose to fight with him. Sad days!

bond19821982

Pogba looks comfortable with 3 man MF and Jose likes 2 in the middle. Also we don't have Essien type players nor wingers like he would have wanted. We didn't look like 10% of what Jose's team looks like after 2.5 years and that's bad on the manager. He simply failed to grasp with modern times/ players.
Then he should have got an Essien and he had 2 years to do it.

Loublaze

ATLien
Surely the team can be built around other players, pogba is only in it for himself.
This makes no sense. Surely Pogba has no control over who the manager decides to build the team around. You'll jump at any reason to criticize huh?

Dante

Average bang
Even though Pogba is the most talented player in the squad, I'd build the team around someone else.

Not because Pogba isn't talented enough. But because he very easily lets the weight of expectation turn his game to shit.

I think that, ironically, he's more creative when there are other players in the side who are seen as the main creative outlets. Stick a playmaker next to him and on the right wing, and Pogba will become more consistent and influential himself.

He has a weird pyschology for such a great player. He loves being the main man. But ever since I've watched him, he's performed better when he isn't.

Posh Red

Even though Pogba is the most talented player in the squad, I'd build the team around someone else.

Not because Pogba isn't talented enough. But because he very easily lets the weight of expectation turn his game to shit.

I think that, ironically, he's more creative when there are other players in the side who are seen as the main creative outlets. Stick a playmaker next to him and on the right wing, and Pogba will become more consistent and influential himself.

He has a weird pyschology for such a great player. He loves being the main man. But ever since I've watched him, he's performed better when he isn't.
I know we've yet to see him under the new management against a strong side, but do you not feel he was the main man in our last couple of games? It will be interesting to see how influential he could be against a Liverpool for example now we are playing a more attacking style.

redmanc

Sick of hearing from so called fans about his downing tools yada yada, with a manager as negative and intent on verbally beating up the players as Jose was then the manager is totally to blame for his workforce not performing.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Who knew he’s a phenomenal player?

Status
Not open for further replies.