Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Looks pretty happy now. Back to posting a lot of United related stuff on his social media again too, whereas he was fairly quiet in between international breaks, aside from the Adidas and family stuff.

Wouldn't be against giving him back the armband. It seemed a bit petty to give him it and then taken it away in the first place.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
That's not an automated response that's a subjective opinion on the value of what is objectively the most important part of football.

How you evaluate the contribution of control and fluidity and solidity to contributing to those goals and those wins is entirely subjective, and there's very little evidence for what really matters, but goals and results are clearly important. The rules have been designed to make them so. They just think goals are more important than you do. Not because they've been brainwashed but because they've thought about it and decided that themselves.

So what you're doing right here is exactly what you're criticising others for doing in the post just before. The only difference is they do it and don't care. You do it and sneer at the people who do. Brainwashed indeed.
I disagree, but not going to go essay for essay right now.

MDFC Manager

Wouldn't be against giving him back the armband. It seemed a bit petty to give him it and then taken it away in the first place.
Almost forgot about this. Another extremely bizarre thing to have done, especially after the world cup 'compliments' to Pogba as well.

We should actually be grateful that he didn't openly revolt and demanded to be sold or something.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
As I said as soon as Jose left, give him back the armband.

haram

No exaggeration when I say he has all the ability to be the best midfielder in the world.

SER19

What a player. To think the acolytes wanted the likes of him and Martial sold is bloody hilarious :lol:
This isn’t a personal criticism, but is there any reason such a particularly archaic and uncommonly used word is absolutely everywhere on a football forum?

Seems like some sort of collective pseudo intelligence or something.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
A large amount of people believing in nonsense does not change it to reality. I don't analyze a football player in some mythical environment where he plays by himself, last time I checked this is not a tennis forum either. Pogba has been our best player since he joined. That does not mean he has met his potential or the expectation he has set for himself. If I thought he would come in and plug 5 or 6 different positions, turn players like Young, Jones, Fellaini, Smalling into world beaters, and make forwards finish off the chances he creates, then he would have been sub par since he joined. That, though, would not be football but rather some mythical magic and superhero sport. Feel free to have a discussion with those that follow such ridiculousness because I won't waste any more time on your garbage.
Terrible reply to be honest. What are you on about transforming Jones, Fellaini etc.? Since when is that the main criteria of a good footballer i.e. changing shit players around him into good ones? You’re just being silly. What are you on about this not being a tennis forum? Just because it’s not an individual sport doesn’t mean we can’t individually assess a players performance, Pogba’s the one losing possession, making wayward passes, blazing it over in the past. You seem hellbent on protecting Pogba’s time here so far that you’re just being irrational.

I agree that a lot of the players have been sub par under Mourinho, but you have to include Pogba. Yes, he’s had some amazing performances for us since he’s joined, but OVERALL he has been sub par. Sub par meaning below what we expect of him.

Robbie Boy

This isn’t a personal criticism, but is there any reason such a particularly archaic and uncommonly used word is absolutely everywhere on a football forum?

It’s just a very fitting term that really sums them up. I never hear it used in real life though. I like it, it hammers home a very unpleasant bunch that made this place pretty toxic.

SER19

It’s just a very fitting term that really sums them up. I never hear it used in real life though. I like it, it hammers home a very unpleasant bunch that made this place pretty toxic.
It’s a strange trend. Separately disagree that any one group made the place toxic, but That’s a whole other story, pretty sure I’ve been called fan boy, apologist etc etc but generally tried balanced posts without any huge affection for mourinho

Robbie Boy

It’s a strange trend. Separately disagree that any one group made the place toxic, but That’s a whole other story, pretty sure I’ve been called fan boy, apologist etc etc but generally tried balanced posts without any huge affection for mourinho
Not really. There were a hardcore group of maybe 6 or 7 that came out with their condescending, holier than thou bullshit on a daily basis. You know, the ones that slated our players and absolved Mourinho of any blame no matter what facts they were presented with.

SER19

Not really. There were a hardcore group of maybe 6 or 7 that came out with their condescending, holier than thou bullshit on a daily basis. You know, the ones that slated our players and absolved Mourinho of any blame no matter what facts they were presented with.
Ya but like anything there were more than a couple at the other extreme too. Certainly no winners on either side. Anyway I guess that’s been done to death.

cyberman

Both sides deserve blame. You couldn't watch..say Spurs v Southampton and not have the thread littered with the woe are us, Jose is a plague posts cluttering up real discussion.
Now Jose is gone and that mindset has changed so we can have proper discussions again.

MDFC Manager

The word was first used on the caf by @Pogue Mahone in 2010. Surprisingly (and rather aptly!) it was used for for blind Mourinho followers even back then :lol:

They're certainly coming across that way.

What's really annoying is that some of the most giddy Mourinho acolytes, drooling about his defensive masterclass, protested the most vehemently about the "spineless" nil all draw United achieved against Barca in '08.

Trizy

Caption won't show but it says no CM in Europe has been involved in more goals that Pogba this season.

7 goals 6 assists in 22 games.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
No exaggeration when I say he has all the ability to be the best midfielder in the world.
Honestly I've watched a lot of old games of Bobby Charlton and he was a magical footballer, unbelievably good at so many things. I really think Pogba has a chance of being as good.

Andrew~

It seems it’s not longer possible to believe Pogba is one of the best players in the league and that there are things he needs to work on at the same time - for whatever reason. It’s either he’s shit and needs to be sold or he’s the best player anywhere.

I expect a lot from Pogba, the amount of talent he has is ridiculous so I think we all need to hold to a higher standard than most other players - he’s a huge personality too which makes his attitude even more important because he’s looked at as one of the leaders.

That said I can’t wait for him to kick on from these next few games and improve.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I think he's too free spirited to be a proper midfielder.

That being said, it's almost unfair how stacked he is both technically and physically. Long legs, skillful and strong. Most players would struggle one on one with him.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Undoubtedly, although I think he’s the best already tbh. But what I think people mean when they say what you said, I agree that he has an even greater potential to be something totally scary and unseen before.

jeff_goldblum

I had issues with his performances and attitude for the last month or so under Mourinho but Pogba is one of those players, similar to Cantona, who can be so important to a team that he warrants a bit of special treatment. I think Ole will see that with him and get the best out of him in the same way Fergie did with King Eric. Mourinho either didn't recognise what Paul needed, or else he couldn't put the benefit of the team above his ego.

Managed properly, Pogba has the potential to be an all-time great at this club and for his country.

Feed Me

I'm hungry

Caption won't show but it says no CM in Europe has been involved in more goals that Pogba this season.

And to think he dicked up a number of pennos as well.

If he plays to his level, along with Martial, Sanchez and Rashford, we have so much potential.

Just a shame our defence is such a shambles.

SATA

We all know he is very good, borderline world class. He can certainly dominate the smaller teams, now he needs to turn up for the big games and run the show by himself. He is now at the age and the right stage of his career to do that. Come on Paul!

Canagel

We're halfway through the season. If we double those numbers by the end we have 14 goals and 12 assists. Maybe even more as we've been playing a defensive setup for half of the season. undoubtedly world class

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I had issues with his performances and attitude for the last month or so under Mourinho but Pogba is one of those players, similar to Cantona, who can be so important to a team that he warrants a bit of special treatment. I think Ole will see that with him and get the best out of him in the same way Fergie did with King Eric. Mourinho either didn't recognise what Paul needed, or else he couldn't put the benefit of the team above his ego.

Managed properly, Pogba has the potential to be an all-time great at this club and for his country.
Sums up my own feelings pretty well.

Although, just like Ole, I’m tempted to reserve judgment until we see similar performances against tougher opposition.

EwanI Ted

It less about his defending as his antics occurs more often when he has possession.

It is good if he can add defensive effort to his game but it unacceptable imo for him to lose the ball in dangerous areas cos he trying to do some tricks with the ball when a simple pass or clearance would suffice (e.g. see earlier southampton clip or Everton).

Pogba is the most dispossessed midfielder (https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/players/dispossessed), a stat that shouldnt be associated with a player with his capabilities.
Thats typical of creative players, just look who’s around him on that list. It’d be nice if creative attackers could always choose the best option, but to create is to take risks. When you encourage attackers to stop taking risks you encourage them to stop being creative.

OldTrevil

Very much so. Football is coming more and more like a religion, and there are many who say religion brainwashed some. I think a lot of football watchers are not as in control of their opinions as they like to think they are. These opinions are often shaped by narrative. Largely because we don’t have the time to watch as much football as we would like, so we rely on others to fill in the gaps, and just the fact that we’re in an age where we are overloaded with information in general.

Manchester United finished second last season. Didn’t have anyone in the PL team, except De Gea. All the best players in the league played for teams worse than us. We still came out of the season with a weird feeling of failure.

The thing is, including City, Liverpool, Chelsea etc - United are the only team that is demanded to win the league. If any other team finishes second, they will be seen to have had a good season. Even.City after spending loads, or Liverpool. A second place finish will never be spun as a negative. But we’re a different club. We’ve won so much that unless we win, we are spoken of in the context of underachievement. That rarely applies to anyone else, so individuals like Pogba are already working against the narrative of failing. I’ve said before, but last year and before, I suspect your average pundit would say someone like Mousa Dembele was a better player than Pogba. No chance he is, but Pogba can’t meet their mythical expectation, yet Dembele has exceeded the more modest ones they put on him. So he’s showered with praise, Pogba less so.

And finally Modric. I’ve said all year that’s I think Pogba is better than him. I do, but I understand why that will be seen as controversial. In my opinion, that too has a lot to do with narrative and expectation. Modric has far less expected of him as an individual. And then his team has been a runaway success on the biggest stage for the last few years. Pogba could never match that. Take the recent game against Cardiff. I think most people think Pogba player ‘well’, but there seems to be a consensus that ‘he wasn’t even at his best’, or ‘he didn’t even have a GREAT game’. What they mean, is that by Pogba standard, he hasn’t had a great game. The truth, in my opinion, is that a Paul Pogba ‘great’ game, and a Luka Modric ‘great’ game are of different standards. In terms of demand an expectation. Modric would have had to do no more than Pogba against Cardiff to be seen as having had a great game. With Pogba, it’s kind of ‘good, but let’s not get carried away, there’s more to come’. In summary, a lot of Modric performances in recent years would not be seen as good enough for Pogba, not unless the rest of Pogba’s team also played as well as Real and we were as successful. Modric is seen as better as he always plays well, but I think there’s subconsciously a lower bar for him to meet to play well than there is for Pogba. A lot of Modric’s good games might just be about enough to not criticise Pogba and say he was alright. But when coupled with trophies, he’s seen as better.

I’ve said before, but nothing proves this more than the widespread lauding of Pogba’s World Cup. That’s what happens when you’re part of a winning team. He did nothing special, kept it simple for the most part, and if France went out second round, I believe the narrative would have been that he ‘didn’t do enough’. However, after they win, the ‘experts’ say ‘that’s the Pogba we want to see every week, keep it simple’. But when he explodes at the Etihad and scores two goals to win the game, ‘that’s the Pogba we want to see every week’. Two very different Pogba’s. The reality is they don’t really know what they want. I think it’s a simple formula - they want him to make United win everything again. That’s the bar for him. Not the bar for Dembele, Modric etc. Just Pogba. I can guarantee that Pogba would draw nothing like the same praise if he played every week for us like he did for France.

All in my opinion, of course.
Good post. Agree with majority of what you said, especially the Modric part. When it comes to the world cup, the funny thing for me is that Pogba excelled at so many things he is labelled as lacking. And it wasn't just in the world cup as he also excelled at the same things in Euro 2016. Given the different outcomes of the two tournaments and the subsequent narratives of Pogba's performances, it lends credit to the argument that his performance are completely panned unless his team wins it all. In these tournaments, Pogba was very good in his defensive and offensive positioning, he was also very good at controlling the team's play from deep and showed great in-game intelligence and decision-making. The other thing that was visible is that he prefers to play quick one-two's whenever he has good passing options, and in France he has plenty of it given the quality around him. He would switch the play quickly whenever Mbappe, Griezmann or Matuidi had space to run into for a counter. He would also use Giroud well to relieve pressure. The difference in outcomes for the two tournaments, France's forwards were wasteful at euro 16 final and the team got punished by a sucker punch. However, even after his team won the world cup with him being very instrumental in the engine room, the media preferred not to focus on all the good that he did, and instead focused on his teammates' contributions. So now Kante, Mbappe and even Varane are widely reported to have been better and more influential. Imagine having Real Madrid dominate tournament after tournament, and then insisting that Casemiro has been better and more influential than Modric. It's unreal how much vitriol and negativity is thrown at Pogba, the last thing you expect is for United fans who supposedly watch him week in week out to get caught in and push such agendas against a United player.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Sums up my own feelings pretty well.

Although, just like Ole, I’m tempted to reserve judgment until we see similar performances against tougher opposition.
In fairness, Pogba played quite well in the big games under Mourinho. I imagine he'll be even better in those games with this renewed belief.

NinjaFletch

I'm willing to accept that to an extent, but I do think there are still important caveats to be worked out with Pogba.

I don't think anyone is particularly surprised to see him doing well again under Ole, because we all know the talent is there, but it remains to be seen why we haven't seen this Pogba as often as we would like in his United career to date. Let's hope it's simply a personal problem with Mourinho, because it's by far the least concerning thing, but I do worry that he just feels he currently has a point to prove and will return to the frustrating Pogba that Mourinho tried (and failed) to light a fire under the arse of. Time will tell.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Good post. Agree with majority of what you said, especially the Modric part. When it comes to the world cup, the funny thing for me is that Pogba excelled at so many things he is labelled as lacking. And it wasn't just in the world cup as he also excelled at the same things in Euro 2016. Given the different outcomes of the two tournaments and the subsequent narratives of Pogba's performances, it lends credit to the argument that his performance are completely panned unless his team wins it all. In these tournaments, Pogba was very good in his defensive and offensive positioning, he was also very good at controlling the team's play from deep and showed great in-game intelligence and decision-making. The other thing that was visible is that he prefers to play quick one-two's whenever he has good passing options, and in France he has plenty of it given the quality around him. He would switch the play quickly whenever Mbappe, Griezmann or Matuidi had space to run into for a counter. He would also use Giroud well to relieve pressure. The difference in outcomes for the two tournaments, France's forwards were wasteful at euro 16 final and the team got punished by a sucker punch. However, even after his team won the world cup with him being very instrumental in the engine room, the media preferred not to focus on all the good that he did, and instead focused on his teammates' contributions. So now Kante, Mbappe and even Varane are widely reported to have been better and more influential. Imagine having Real Madrid dominate tournament after tournament, and then insisting that Casemiro has been better and more influential than Modric. It's unreal how much vitriol and negativity is thrown at Pogba, the last thing you expect is for United fans who supposedly watch him week in week out to get caught in and push such agendas against a United player.
People want Pogba to be Xavi, Zidane and Toure at the same time.

laughtersassassin

Do I got an interesting stat for you.

Since the start of the 2017/18 season, both Pogba and De Bruyne have played 47 games in the premier league.

Despite City scoring 54 more goals than us on that time, Pogba has 2 more goal contributions than De Bruyne.

That is a crazy stat in favour of Pogba. 54 more goals and yet De Bruyne has fewer goal contributions. Most of you expect too much imo.

Coops73

He’s fecking wound me up no end this season but I hope he can change my mind on him, played great against Huddersfield and my MOTM.

Was wondering what he was pointing at when he scored the 2nd, I’m probably being dumb but I thought it was the 20 legend banner, which if that was the case ok great you’re happy Mourinhos gone, so am I but just leave it now, am I reading too much into that? Or was he actually pointing at Santa’s sleigh as it he flew over old Trafford taking in a Boxing Day game, cause we all know he’s a United fan.

cheeky_backheel

Thats typical of creative players, just look who’s around him on that list. It’d be nice if creative attackers could always choose the best option, but to create is to take risks. When you encourage attackers to stop taking risks you encourage them to stop being creative.
Those other players (salah, zaha, sterling etc) are attackers that play further up the pitch while Pogba is notorious for losing the ball in our own half.

Status
Not open for further replies.