Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Irwin99

I see his haters are out in full force, don't know what more you guys were expecting given the circumstances.

However has there ever been a club who relied on a midfiielder to win majority of games for them?

We bought a top midfiielder and gave him nothing to work with.no good playing style,no one single teammates who can be relied upon and we are expecting him to carry us through games consistently.
He's a midfiielder and midfiielders needs attackers to be really effective without Jordi alba,Messi,coutinho and Suarez, the barcelona midfiielders will just keep passing in circles without any real penetration.he created two clear chances that went unconverted,de gea and Ashley gifting goals to opposition when we needed them.

You guys can vent your frustrations at him all you want but if you replace him with any other midfiielder it will be the same outcome if not worst.our attack is dreadful and that's not his fault.
It's nothing to do with being haters and I'd argue he's probably been the best of a bad bunch of players this season but wheres the leadership, wheres the drive? Gerrard played in some crap Liverpool teams and Keane played for a relegated Notts Forrest but they always had that quality to push the team forward. With Pogba, you take away the few little moments and you're left with a ridiculously inconsistent player who constantly runs into blind alleys AGAIN and AGAIN and never seems to learn. He was terrible tonight and for a world class midfielder who cost a record fee you need more from him. He barely wins any tackles, he doesn't seem to run into the box anymore, he's almost completely ineffectual. It's not good enough.

In Rainbows

I don't think he is cut for Man Utd. He seems too passive and lazy at times. I just don't see that 3rd gear in him. Maybe he's better off in another foreign league. He looks too arrogant sometimes. It won't be the worst move you make if you sell him to be honest.
The problem isn't that he's not cut for United. It's that many of his teammates aren't. There is no reason why he should be the main man. He should be part of an elite side.

I mean just look at today. He wasn't amazing, but he provided Rashford two clear cut chances. Imagine if we had more match winners so that we're not dependent on Pogba's moments of brilliance.

We need to be adding to him. We're just a ways away as we've accepted a lot of mediocrity over the years.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
I don't mean to bash Pogba as I certainly rate him as a squad-player at the absolute worst. But what are you getting at here? What position do you think he is supposed to have and what does he have to do to have value to the team?
He quite clearly has been moved further back as the team couldn't find him properly vs any decent opponent. Ole said that he pulled him back to help him have more influence. It's not his fault that he's not as good playing deep.

The position he occupied further forward when Ole first came in is his best position. His output was unmatched. The problem is, he can't play there until the rest of our team is good enough.

I hope we can convince him to stay by investing into some proper midfield support in the summer.

If you can't see his potential, you're deluded imo.

Last edited:

ROFLUTION

I see his haters are out in full force, don't know what more you guys were expecting given the circumstances.

However has there ever been a club who relied on a midfiielder to win majority of games for them?

We bought a top midfiielder and gave him nothing to work with.no good playing style,no one single teammates who can be relied upon and we are expecting him to carry us through games consistently.
He's a midfiielder and midfiielders needs attackers to be really effective without Jordi alba,Messi,coutinho and Suarez, the barcelona midfiielders will just keep passing in circles without any real penetration.he created two clear chances that went unconverted,de gea and Ashley gifting goals to opposition when we needed them.

You guys can vent your frustrations at him all you want but if you replace him with any other midfiielder it will be the same outcome if not worst.our attack is dreadful and that's not his fault.
You're defending him blindly. Took way too much time on the ball today, and has in general been close to invisible in the last 5 games. (and the 2 x penalties scored: He should score them).

The performances all went downhill after the Zidane-comments. Something is just not focused enough in Pogba's head it seems. We all know he has the abilities. It's turning it on that's his problem.

el3mel

At one point his defenders will finally give up on defending him and will join us. It'll happen sooner or later. Probably next season.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
If Ole wants to build the side around him then the problem with our club is bigger than we thought.

In Rainbows

At one point his defenders will finally give up on defending him and will join us. It'll happen sooner or later. Probably next season.
Won't happen because I'll always think there are other parts of our side that are much more concerning.

dogwithabone

Miles away from being close to world class, never mind actual world class.

If we could get our money back I’d move him on.

Devil may care

Any time now Paul.....just take your time.

Seriously, I know the movement isn't great in this team but tonight he was playing with his slippers on like he had all the time in the world.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
The problem isn't that he's not cut for United. It's that many of his teammates aren't. There is no reason why he should be the main man. He should be part of an elite side.

I mean just look at today. He wasn't amazing, but he provided Rashford two clear cut chances. Imagine if we had more match winners so that we're not dependent on Pogba's moments of brilliance.

We need to be adding to him. We're just a ways away as we've accepted a lot of mediocrity over the years.
But look at the really top players who play (or used to play) in his position. They can produce a couple of passes like that in any give game and do all the other stuff at an extremely high level. It’s fecking madness that you’d give him a pass for two quality moments over 90 minutes.

Obviously we’ve far far worse players in our squad but for someone who is supposed to be the star of the bunch he underwhelms a disgraceful amount of times every season.

In Rainbows

He's a big part of the things that're concerning that's I'm sure about.
I don't think so unless you want an entire new starting 11.

But look at the really top players who play (or used to play) in his position. They can produce a couple of passes like that in any give game and do all the other stuff at an extremely high level. It’s fecking madness that you’d give him a pass for two quality moments over 90 minutes.

Obviously we’ve far far worse players in our squad but for someone who is supposed to be the star of the bunch he underwhelms a disgraceful amount of times every season.
Who are those players? Do they have the same teammates as Pogba? Who is their manager? I'm willing to accept Pogba isn't up for it if we're a much better side, but we're so mediocre I just can't agree with you guys.

kundalini

Produced a couple of super passes. His shots were ambitious to say the least. Caught in possession too often and seemed to lose his head for a spell in the match.

For a star player, his contribution in the two legs against Barcelona and the first leg against PSG, really don't add up to much.

His value to us, is more in getting assists and a few goals against modest PL sides.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
He was awful tonight, embarrassing performance. We actually need him to step up in these moments and command the game, he’s doing the complete opposite and disrupts any kind of flow.

Barca’s current midfield is really not that good, a top class midfielder - supposedly one of the best in the world - should at least be able to control some parts of the game against them.

I almost think we were only able to win in Paris because we didn’t have him.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Who are those players? Do they have the same teammates as Pogba? Who is their manager? I'm willing to accept Pogba isn't up for it if we're a much better side, but we're so mediocre I just can't agree with you guys.
His own bloody team-mates have been showing him up these last few games!

McTominay and Fred might not have Pogba’s ability to make 1 or 2 fantastic passes every 90 minutes but they've been doing the rest of the stuff you need from a CM better than he has. It’s fecking infuriating to watch. Simply unacceptable from a supposed superstar of the game.

In Rainbows

His own bloody team-mates have been showing him up these last few games!

McTominay and Fred might not have Pogba’s ability to make 1 or 2 fantastic passes every 90 minutes but they've been doing the rest of the stuff you need from a CM better than he has. It’s fecking infuriating to watch. Simply unacceptable from a supposed superstar of the game.
You say that like Pogba hasn't been better this season overall. That's the problem with this discussion.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
You say that like Pogba hasn't been better this season overall. That's the problem with this discussion.
This season’s really just been the same as previous seasons. Some good games, some great games and a load of average to shit games. With the good/great games almost always against piss poor opposition.

You could make a case for him being one of our better performers but only because everyone else has been so crap. And it keeps coming back to the fact that truly great players - the type of player Pobga is supposed to be - inspire and elevate the performance of everyone around them. Especially in the toughest fixtures. Which is laughably far removed from what’s been actually happening.

NinjaFletch

Well he hasn't, has he? I mean, not really.

He's been largely the same as he has over the three seasons he's been here; good in patches, diabolical in others, missing when needed most.

Had Pogba not been on penalties this season (and in spite of him coming close to breaking the league record for most missed penalties) he'd have 5 goals (10 pens + 1 scored from a rebound). That's in line with what he has scored in the past. The only real change I can really see is that he has scored those 10 goals from the spot.

Lemur

I am sorry but now i will start to agree with souness.

Get rid if he starts troubling us for a fatter pay check
Based on your previous posts you must be souness using his middle name as a disguise.

Why always jump to this thread as though Pogba was our main problem tonight, go and do one mate.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
And it keeps coming back to the fact that truly great players - the type of player Pobga is supposed to be - inspire and elevate the performance of everyone around them. Especially in the toughest fixtures.
He won't turn into one of those players, I very much fear.

And if Ole can't see that, we're in trouble. His comment about wanting Pogba to play deeper so that he can "influence games more" troubles me, to be honest. Pogba has never been truly brilliant other than in a decidedly attacking role. He was decent for France at the WC in a more restricted CM role, granted, but that version of Pogba is hardly a player you want to build an entire team around (which is Ole's stated intention).

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
He won't turn into one of those players, I very much fear.

And if Ole can't see that, we're in trouble. His comment about wanting Pogba to play deeper so that he can "influence games more" troubles me, to be honest. Pogba has never been truly brilliant other than in a decidedly attacking role. He was decent for France at the WC in a more restricted CM role, granted, but that version of Pogba is hardly a player you want to build an entire team around (which is Ole's stated intention).
Then why - on God’s green earth - did we pay so much money for him?!

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Why is it that he’s often caught 2v1 on the ball? Because his team mates desert him and run off.

The forward line are just lazy and ineffective. Rashford is the only one who sometimes makes runs, but when pogba does manage to pass it to him he can’t control it.

Martial and Lingard currently are a waste of space.

While even I can agree pogba didn’t have his best game tonight he still created 2 clear cut chances out of nothing - that’s the chalk and cheese you have to expect.

until we sort the core of this team out and get some proper fullbacks and wingers that move properly, I don’t see us ever getting better.

We desperately need 2 defenders that can hold the ball and not shit themselves either, jones and Smalling while they have their good moments just can’t ride a press to save their lives.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
He got his wish with Mourinho out and needs to step up and show his class. Does he put in enough effort off the ball to be a deep lying CM? I have my doubts. So that leaves him as more an ACM, maybe at the tip of a midfield diamond? Who are the best in the league at this position? De Bruyne? Eriksen? So is Pogba at a level of either of those two players? Better?

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I have no idea. He never seemed like a natural fit for a Mourinho outfit. Can't go full conspiracy mode either (i.e. it was Woody all the way, against Jose's wishes), because there's reason to believe that Jose actually wanted him. Bit of a shambles if you ask me, but then again what isn't a bit of a shambles in the post-SAF era?

Pogba isn't a player I would target at all if my primary task was to build a team. I'd want him as the icing on the cake, once that cake was baked properly, but not before that.

el3mel

Why is it that he’s often caught 2v1 on the ball? Because his team mates desert him and run off.

The forward line are just lazy and ineffective. Rashford is the only one who sometimes makes runs, but when pogba does manage to pass it to him he can’t control it.

Martial and Lingard currently are a waste of space.

While even I can agree pogba didn’t have his best game tonight he still created 2 clear cut chances out of nothing - that’s the chalk and cheese you have to expect.

until we sort the core of this team out and get some proper fullbacks and wingers that move properly, I don’t see us ever getting better.

We desperately need 2 defenders that can hold the ball and not shit themselves either, jones and Smalling while they have their good moments just can’t ride a press to save their lives.
Everyone else to blame for Pogba's fault. The only difference is it's shifted now from the manager to his teammates.

Weren't he playing well previously behind the same offensive lineup when Ole took charge ?

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
I think he's not a very bright footballer. His talent gets him places but his understanding of what a game in needs at each moment is horrendous. Which is why the conversation about his best position will go on. It's not the position it's his decision making.

As someone said above he's a nice complementary piece in a good well drilled team he's pointless in dysfunctional team like ours bar the few moments his pure talent wins out.

Irwin99

I have no idea. He never seemed like a natural fit for a Mourinho outfit. Can't go full conspiracy mode either (i.e. it was Woody all the way, against Jose's wishes), because there's reason to believe that Jose actually wanted him. Bit of a shambles if you ask me, but then again what isn't a bit of a shambles in the post-SAF era?

Pogba isn't a player I would target at all if my primary task was to build a team. I'd want him as the icing on the cake, once that cake was baked properly, but not before that.
Always been a bit of a puzzler that one. I think Jose thought he could change him- anyone else remember a game we lost at Chelsea in Jose's first season and him saying Pogba was the best player on the pitch after putting in a very safe and unusually pragmatic performance :lol: . Kante scorred the winner I think and was the official MotM, I think Jose was just trying to encourage him to play a safer game by praising him. It didn't last.

He'sRaldo

Why is Pogba always thoroughly discussed if he doesn't perform at 10/10? Getting tiring tbh.
Bump Young and Lingard's threads, not his.

thejtrain

Ah, great players win it on their own rhetoric again, I see. Does anyone honestly think he cares if he's considered great or not? Not one bit. He is better off playing in an elite team - that's where he will really shine. Should just join RM already.

In Rainbows

This season’s really just been the same as previous seasons. Some good games, some great games and a load of average to shit games. With the good/great games almost always against piss poor opposition.

You could make a case for him being one of our better performers but only because everyone else has been so crap. And it keeps coming back to the fact that truly great players - the type of player Pobga is supposed to be - inspire and elevate the performance of everyone around them. Especially in the toughest fixtures. Which is laughably far removed from what’s been actually happening.
Well that's what I'm saying. We have to keep Pogba and upgrade those around him. If he isn't performing then, I'll gladly say he isn't good enough.

Well he hasn't, has he? I mean, not really.

He's been largely the same as he has over the three seasons he's been here; good in patches, diabolical in others, missing when needed most.

Had Pogba not been on penalties this season (and in spite of him coming close to breaking the league record for most missed penalties) he'd have 5 goals (10 pens + 1 scored from a rebound). That's in line with what he has scored in the past. The only real change I can really see is that he has scored those 10 goals from the spot.
He has really. And sure, you can take his pens away, if you give him more assists as I'm sure there is 1 or 2 that he got the foul for, and there were plenty of passes that his teammates fluffed.

No matter what argument is put forth, the fact remains that he's been one of our better players these last 3 seasons. And as a club that needs to get better, it makes no sense to sell one of your better players first.

Everyone else to blame for Pogba's fault. The only difference is it's shifted now from the manager to his teammates.

Weren't he playing well previously behind the same offensive lineup when Ole took charge ?
Nobody is saying don't criticize Pogba. We're saying the whole "get rid" arguments are dumb.

Players are going for that kind of money these days. Imagine how much Pogba would cost now had Pogba reverted back to Juve Pogba. Same standing in the game, same age, etc... He wouldn't go for the price we paid.

Look at how much we paid for Lukaku. How much would Jovic cost? Probably cheaper and is technically better all around.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Just not a player you build a team around, he's a luxury you fit in when everything else is running smoothly.

Oscar.Z.Acosta

Has any player polarised United fans’ opinion of an individual more than Paul Pogba?

I certainly have a problem as I agree with many of the arguments on this thread, however contradictory they are?!

el3mel

Nobody is saying don't criticize Pogba. We're saying the whole "get rid" arguments are dumb.
Actually it's not.

We'll never be able to build a team around Pogba, because he's not a player to build a team around. You can't build a team about a player who shows off or not randomly and inconsistently.

Buying 10 world class players to cover for his arse is a fantasy dream.

If we're a real football club, throw him to Madrid for 150m and use the money to buy some functional players that will deliver consistently, even if they're less talented and we'll be at a much better place.

Pool did that with Coutinho and didn't regret it. All their midfield are workaholic and their forwards weren't big names when they were signed yet they're challenging for the league now.

Pogba is a wrong fit here. He's super talented but a lazy inconsistent "bastard" who simply wants players to cover for him. He was never consistent for Juve or France. They had players covering for him too.

You can't spend 100m on a player then expect to spend 250m just to support him. This is ridiculous.

He'll be good in a team full of world class players which will never happen here. Sell him and start building a proper team.

Patrick08

Based on your previous posts you must be souness using his middle name as a disguise.

Why always jump to this thread as though Pogba was our main problem tonight, go and do one mate.
Its not about just tonight mate. Barcelona at home was the best time he should have stepped up given the performances from mcrominay and fred. Missing against psg, missing against juventus, missing against Valencia, arsenal, city liverpool and many more games. When has he actually delivered in big games?

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I think Jose thought he could change him
Yes, something like that. I can't imagine that he wanted the free-role Pogba who was brilliant on his day for Juventus.

The problem is that it isn't enough to play in a disciplined manner. A player like him won't turn into a top level, rounded CM just by cutting out high-risk, adventurous aspects from his game (or, for that matter, by not being lazy or whatever it is people accuse him of being). You have to have an actual knack for the position. He doesn't seem to have that. He can do a job there, as they say, but what's the point? We don't need him to do a job, we need him to bring something special to the table.

#CR7

A luxury player that we don't need right now. For the level we want to get to next season which is PL challenging we could buy 2-3 quality players for the money we'd get for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.