6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

mancan92

Yes it is more clear with Pogba when he is off and nothing works for him.
With the others you always get the physical aspect of the game and doing the basic things.
Mainly with Valencia and Young in the past.

With Fellaini it depend on the role he is given. As a deeper midfielder he could be terrible and totally destroyed at times like Pogba.
None of their bottom level were better than pogbas bottom level. It's not even a discussion.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Some people have forgotten just what a good player Pogba is. We’ve played (almost) an entire season without him. He’s going to come on the pitch and instantly create goalscoring opportunities. I mean, that’s a big deal.

With that said, I wouldn’t start him on Friday. I’d stick with Fred, Matic and Bruno and give him half an hour let loose in the second half. We’d be sensible not to make him the story of the first half.
I completely agree, and have also said I wouldn't start him tomorrow either.

I'm as eager as anyone to see him back in the team, but a duo of Matic/Fred/McTominay have all been great in the big games this season so I'd stick with them and, like you say, give Pogba a half hour or so.

Sheffield will have faced two teams before us, with us being their 3rd game within a week, so that's when I'd start Pogba. Hopefully, due to the current circumstances and them not having the best squad depth, a fresh Pogba here could be the game changer, and then we kick off with him starting from there.

Paul_Scholes18

If you genuinely believe that pogbas bottom level is below those guys then. I don't think you know what bias is.
I think it has been yes. Pogba has been totally lost in some games under Mourinho and he reached very low levels at the end of last season. Although then it was more collective.
Young was the same and worse then so maybe not the best comparison for the Ole end of the season collapse.

Paul_Scholes18

I don't and I think your suggestion is crazy. They are not appropriate comparisons at all.
I don't know why we started comparing different players here. I guess just cause Pogba has been very much up and down here.
Let us hope he can find form for the rest of the season.

Withnail

Yes it is more clear with Pogba when he is off and nothing works for him.
With the others you always get the physical aspect of the game and doing the basic things.
Mainly with Valencia and Young in the past.

With Fellaini it depend on the role he is given. As a deeper midfielder he could be terrible and totally destroyed at times like Pogba.
I really can't see it mate.

Fellaini was absolutely useless at times, literally ruining every decent move that went through him, and I've never seen Pogba play as bad as that.

He always has the capacity to create something.

AFC NimbleThumb

Anyone reckon he starts alongside Bruno tomorrow? If so whose the 3rd you'd match with them out of McTominay, Fred or even Matic?
They were spouting yesterday that the last EPL game was 100 days ago.

Whilst it’s the same season* players get far less time off in World Cup years - he’s had friendlies like the rest of the squad & there’s now 5 subs available, surely he has to start.

Given the lack of a proper RW I think 4-1-2-1-2 is the way to go.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Will just be happy to see him play again. I still think he’ll sign a new deal, but it will be interesting to see how this midfield works out with both he and Bruno. It’s not the most natural pair I still think, both or one would have to surrender something. But the fact is, you wouldn’t actually want either to surrender anything!

He looks in good spirits and I just hope he’s given a fair chance to get going. It’s almost inevitable that there will be people watching with pen and paper to count every turnover of possession l, or every quiet spell (I went back through old performance threads and it was remarkable how often I saw things like ‘he was good for the first half hour, then rubbish for the next 15 minutes, better in the second’ etc in MOTM games of his. We get minute-by-minute breakdowns of form!). That said, I think the media will take it easier at the moment, for a number of reasons, and give him room to breathe.

For his part, he absolutely needs to deliver now, going forward, or I think consigning his time here to failure will become fairer than I think it has been. Football is very much a team game, and any player would look better in a good team - but that looks to be exactly what we are now. With his talent, he needs to come in and make us even better. Anything less, once he’s at least shaken off any rust, isn’t really good enough. He needs to find a role in the side that works with the rest of the side, because now the issue of having nobody else in midfield of similar quality to play with is gone, and touch wood, the issue of poor or static forwards ahead is gone too. Perhaps a slight question of the defensive midfielder, but as a team, we have been defensively solid, so even then, he needs to come in and help ha maintain that. As is well known, I have faith in him to do all of that, as I think he’s a far better player than he gets credit for - but he needs to do his bit now and fit into this exciting direction we are heading in. If that happens, I think we are real title challengers.

laughtersassassin

How do our fans disrespect this man so much.

Just watch this video of our goals under Ole
When fit he is literally the constant involved in almost everything.

Love watching him play. Can't wait to see him with Bruno. Hopefully we add to their quality this summer as for the first time since Fergie we are approaching having a good team.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I think it has been yes. Pogba has been totally lost in some games under Mourinho and he reached very low levels at the end of last season. Although then it was more collective.
Young was the same and worse then so maybe not the best comparison for the Ole end of the season collapse.
Pogba had three performances (two starts and a sub appearance) last season where maybe you could make an argument for it. They came during the absolute peak of the bullshit with Mourinho's shit-talking and it was obvious Pogba's head wasn't in the right place.

Otherwise no, it's not even close. His lowest level was far above the lowest level of the other players you mentioned.

laughtersassassin

Pogba had three performances (two starts and a sub appearance) last season where maybe you could make an argument for it. They came during the absolute peak of the bullshit with Mourinho's shit-talking and it was obvious Pogba's head wasn't in the right place.

Otherwise no, it's not even close. His lowest level was far above the lowest level of the other players you mentioned.
Exactly, players like young have cost us multiple games single handedly and even of their decent form do next to nothing.

Pogba is and has always been better than that. Most of the games he gets shit on for he doesn't cost us anything he just didn't create much and then gets put with the blame that no one else did either. Hardly fair

Shark

@NotShark
So he'll have to earn his spot, dont actually mind that when you consider how well Fred has done this season. Mctominay too.

laughtersassassin

He won't really have to earn his place I reckon. He will come on from the bench today and then start during the week.

Then he will start everyone from then on for the most part that's my guess anyway.

He is simply too good to leave out consistently. Would be shooting oursleves in the foot creatively

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Exactly, players like young have cost us multiple games single handedly and even of their decent form do next to nothing.

Pogba is and has always been better than that. Most of the games he gets shit on for he doesn't cost us anything he just didn't create much and then gets put with the blame that no one else did either. Hardly fair
He gets treated differently because of his transfer fee (which has nothing to do with him) and the animosity ratcheted up with Mourinho throwing venom and drama at him every time he could to deflect from his failures as a manager. I've felt forced to defend Pogba's character many times on here because you hear such character assassinations spawned from Mourinho's rhetoric from people that are supposed to be United fans. He's been completely misquoted by media (anybody remember that (German ?) interview that completely falsified the translations of his answer in French to make it seem like he was disrespecting United?), there's been a media agenda against him that have fabricated quotes and story to disparage him and it's gotten to some people's heads that he's some unprofessional diva who's a cancer in the locker room.

There are some players that can be great regardless of the team they're on, it's not just a matter of their abilities in adversity, but it's also many times due to their position on the field. I don't think Pogba is a player, by his position or ability, that can drag a team to victories single-handedly consistently, he can do it every now and then and has, but it's not something that a CM can do without some solid options to work with. I think with the growth of Rashford/Martial, and the arrival of Bruno, he has a team where he will be far more consistently effective.

I don't expect him to be on the bench for much longer, but I have no problems him not starting the first game on the bench and coming off in the second half. This will feel almost like a new signing and a new team to look at with just his inclusion and the other factors I've mentioned. Regardless of what happens today, I feel there is a lot of optimism to be had at the prospect of Pogba in this United squad.

saivet

The last time he completed 90 minutes was in September. Makes sense to have him on the bench today. He's our best midfielder, but would be a risk to rush him back into the starting 11 tonight.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
None of their bottom level were better than pogbas bottom level. It's not even a discussion.
Pogba haters suffer serious delusion. It’s clear as day he’s our best player but some are blind to it because he dances & dyes his hair. If he was English & “worked ard” maybe people would be less harsh on him.

ShinjiNinja26

Don’t mind he’s on the bench, the midfield is a bit more balanced with Fred and McSauce. He’s 100% coming on at some point anyway it’s not like we won’t see him. I’m thinking early 2nd half providing all goes well.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Pogba haters suffer serious delusion. It’s clear as day he’s our best player but some are blind to it because he dances & dyes his hair. If he was English & “worked ard” maybe people would be less harsh on him.
He's our best player yet he's never had a season where's he's been as consistently as good as the likes of Rashford, Fred and McTominay have been this season

Let's get this right Pogba has the potential to be our best player but 4 years on we're still waiting for the consistency

littlepeasoup

We have so many games to play in quick succession, we're going to see tonnes of him before the league concludes. Looking forward to seeing him if he does come on though!

laughtersassassin

He's our best player yet he's never had a season where's he's been as consistently as good as the likes of Rashford, Fred and McTominay have been this season

Let's get this right Pogba has the potential to be our best player but 4 years on we're still waiting for the consistency
If Pogba had the exact season Fred has had you wouldn't consider it good though. People would say it's terrible. Imagine getting next to no assists and goals. He would be lynched.

Pogba has had much better seasons than what Fred has had.

The truth is more is expected of him which is okay as long as people admit it.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Will likely start midweek alongside Matic id guess? Though today definitely an ease in situation. Been ages since he played. Ages since anyone played, but especially him. Basically out since September.

charlenefan

If Pogba had the exact season Fred has had you wouldn't consider it good though. People would say it's terrible. Imagine getting next to no assists and goals. He would be lynched.

Pogba has had much better seasons than what Fred has had.

The truth is more is expected of him which is okay as long as people admit it.
Fred's been spoken of as our Player of the Year, can't recall too many seasons when there's been the case with Pogba

laughtersassassin

Fred's been spoken of as our Player of the Year, can't recall too many seasons when there's been the case with Pogba
Ok....

Fred's been great by his standards for sure.

Just like Like Shaw was great by his standards last season.

And Luke Shaw won our player of the season. Yet Luke Shaw was not better than Pogba last season. Not even close.

Pogba literally topped every single attacking stat for us.

Here is another way to think of it, if Fred scored 16 goals and and like 9 assists like Pogba did last year you wouldn't be saying he had a very good season you would be saying he is one of the best midfielders in the world.

But Fred will never contribute anywhere near as much because he simply can't. Therefore expectations are tempered and he doesn't have to do as much to have a game be considered a good one. It rely is simple as that.

charlenefan

Ok....

Fred's been great by his standards for sure.

Just like Like Shaw was great by his standards last season.

And Luke Shaw won our player of the season. Yet Luke Shaw was not better than Pogba last season. Not even close.

Pogba literally topped every single attacking stat for us.

Here is another way to think of it, if Fred scored 16 goals and and like 9 assists like Pogba did last year you wouldn't be saying he had a very good season you would be saying he is one of the best midfielders in the world.

But Fred will never contribute anywhere near as much because he simply can't. Therefore expectations are tempered and he doesn't have to do as much to have a game be considered a good one. It rely is simple as that.
Only if you're a simpleton

Pogba's a central midfielder if you judge him on goals and assists then I don't know what to say to you

laughtersassassin

Only if you're a simpleton

Pogba's a central midfielder if you judge him on goals and assists then I don't know what to say to you

Fred has had a great season but for me and many others Pogba's have been much better he is just expected more of. Can't imagine what people would say about Pogba if he played midfield with as little imagination as some of our other players do.

He would be berated. That said it is not Fred and McTominay s fault they play more reserved or is just because they have less in their locker.

Yeah I'm a simpleton for sure. It is one metric and a very relevant one but yeah you are blind to all things Pogba so we'll leave it at that.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
What a player, just brilliant. Makes everything looks so easy.

Rolaholic

Dissappointing result but I suppose a silver lining would be Pogba cementing his claim as a guaranteed starter unless injured...

Was laughable to hear people say he needed to 'earn his place' back in the first place and it looks even more ridiculous after putting in a more effective shift in 30 mins than all our midfielders combined.

He should be one of, if not the first, names on the team sheet every matchday

Status
Not open for further replies.