Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It's exactly that: weird. Some of these lot really need to grow up.

You can even see it in Pogba's face, he's absolutely loving having Bruno there with him, and there isn't a hint of jealousy with him. Likewise, Bruno is enjoying having one of the most complete midfielders in world football supplying him with the ball. Both are spurring each other on to better and better performances. Likewise Martial and Rashford. None of them care who scores, as long as the team is doing well.

Add Mason (and hopefully Sancho) to the mix and it's got the potential to be otherworldly!
Yeah, it's almost as if Football was a team sport where players like to play well together.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Don't be ridiculous.

Pogba has done nothing wrong since football returned, but seriously, Bruno Fernandes makes Pogba look distinctly average.

Whatever Pogba is said to be worth, Fernandes is worth far more.
Might need to pick up a new past time fella. Not sure Football is the one for you.

Alemar

Don't be ridiculous.

Pogba has done nothing wrong since football returned, but seriously, Bruno Fernandes makes Pogba look distinctly average.

Whatever Pogba is said to be worth, Fernandes is worth far more.
I think you miss the point here. At Real Madrid for a few seasons, Modric was the “best” midfielder in terms of goals and assists, but was Toni Kroos a less important player? Not at all.

Bruno-Pogba duo starts to resemble that Modric-Kross partnership. Both are important

Rolaholic

Yeah, it's almost as if Football was a team sport where players like to play well together.
Seriously

Earlier I saw Robbie Savage and Rio on BT postgame discussing the pregame and postgame scenes specifically and remarking how much visibly happier the players like the likes of Martial and Pogba look playing in a much better side but I'm supposed to believe Pogba's ego supposedly can't handle other players around him shining also as if he didn't win a fecking World Cup in a similar complementary role in a great team 2 summers ago :lol:

According to a lot of people, you seemingly can't win anything without having some sort of standout player carrying a side to glory. That sounds good if you're playing a video game and have a maxed out player but in real life, all the great,title winning sides throughout history have just been better as a collective than everyone else.

That old cliche and adage about the whole being greater than the sum of the parts generally rings true especially in team sports but some seem to believe you can win simply by playing hero football.

youngrell

Can’t overstate the importance of Bruno to the whole team, and most importantly his movement.

It is something that has been lacking under the last 3 managers and him constantly moving into space is both giving options to the man with the ball and forcing his teammates to also move, thus offering further options. And the biggest benefactor of the whole thing is Pogba.

No longer does he have to dilly dally on the ball because he has no one to pass to, he can play quickly and decisively and it makes a huge difference to our attack as it stops opponents from setting themselves to defend.

It’s ironic because he is probably helping out more defensively too, having had the shackles taken off offensively.

Eddy_JukeZ

Pogba excellent again.

I hope he stays. I think we're close to challenging for major trophies.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I think you miss the point here. At Real Madrid for a few seasons, Modric was the “best” midfielder in terms of goals and assists, but was Toni Kroos a less important player? Not at all.

Bruno-Pogba duo starts to resemble that Modric-Kross partnership. Both are important
Yeh. Between Xavi and Iniesta, whose to say is much important? Iniesta is more flashy with his dribbling, but Xavi with his game control and distribution. Just like Cantona and Scholes (my two all time favorite players) all those years.

Bwuk

Didn’t even get out 2nd gear. He’s ridiculously good.

Gordon S

He seems to be revelling in playing the support role to Bruno. He is focussed on playing the simple ball and is regularly the fulcrum of the attack, not the one opening the defence, just keeping the attack going. I hope it lasts, will he remain content with a supporting role? If he stays OK with it, then what a midfield we have.
Yeah, it`s funny, ”we” always thought it was a strong and composed dm that would unlock this Pogba but it was an creative energizer bunny that did it!

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
When all's said and done I think he'll leave this club one of my favourite ever United players, I love the way he plays the game. Having players like him gives me belief we can get back to the top again. The midfield trio now is shaping up to be up there with the best of them.

Steven-UK

Might need to pick up a new past time fella. Not sure Football is the one for you.
I don't 'just' have a short term memory....

30+ years as a fan, and a season ticket holder for well over a decade. I have watched Pogba's every game, live, and he is easily the most overrated player we have had at United. Against the top teams he simply vanishes. He is mostly a hype-job, whereas Bruno is a 'real' player, with no BS, or hype surrounding him.

I'd put 20K on who is deemed the better player at the end of their careers.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He is playing so well, his passing is ridiculous. He is playing with good players now so he is not desperate to force things. He just let's the game to flow, plays good passes between lines, plays beautiful passes from deep.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I thought he was excellent. One of his best midfield performances for us. I'd have him as the man of the match.

@roonster09 summed it up well. Free of the pressure of having to create something out of nothing, he's able to do what centre midfielders are supposed to do in the first place.

TsuWave

30+ years as a fan, and a season ticket holder for well over a decade. I have watched Pogba's every game, live, and he is easily the most overrated player we have had at United. Against the top teams he simply vanishes. He is mostly a hype-job, whereas Bruno is a 'real' player, with no BS, or hype surrounding him.

didn’t we used to have a newbie system that prevented posts like this from spilling onto the main forums?

roonster09

Scout
Jesus....some people must be about to burst with hatred, they’ve been desperate to criticise Pogba, weird that they’ve come out tonight. Perhaps their hatred just can’t take it anymore.
Well they need something to keep them going. We have 2 awesome midfielders who plays different roles but people can't wait to compare and shit on players.

Bruno plays well? Let's criticize Pogba
Rashford plays well? Let's criticize Martial.
Martial plays well? Let's criticize Rashford
Greenwood plays well? Let's criticize both Martial and Rashford.

There are few more too.

Yagami

Good post resistant

As a match going fan myself, this is why I say just because you go to to the games, it doesn't make your opinion anymore smarter or valid.

People complain about the match day threads on here, but I've heard much worse at Old Trafford myself. You're probably a big culprit of some!

a little less bend on that free kick and it would have been the perfect day
Yep!

Steven-UK

didn’t we used to have a newbie system that prevented posts like this from spilling onto the main forums?
And why exactly would the post be prevented? Or are you one of those people like only like comments if they agree with your own?

Morpheus 7

His new role with Bruno is so much better for the team. He's not going to get near as many assists or goals, the team is though. He's focused on winning the ball back and keeping the ball moving. I think he's actually helped Bruno get even more goals and assists. It's the most disciplined and focused I've seen him in ages. Pogba is playing with purpose and feels like such a team player now, he seems happy too. If we can keep him and Bruno together, we can hurt anyone.

Deery

Dreary

Are you the fat guy pointing the finger at Pogba saying “get out of my club” by any chance?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Yeah, its blatantly clear now that he is the ultimate 'luxury' player. I don't mind that, but what is disproportionate is the adulation his fanboys give him, which drives up his status, expectation and fee.

In reality he offers the same to the team as Matic, AWB etc: he is a solid team player, but not the iconic talisman that Bruno is and Rashford or Greenwood can become.

In that context, it was a good performance from him today as a proper no 8: did very well defensively, allowed Bruno to do his creative work, while contributing offensively when he could. We desperately need such a player, and Pogba could be that man, so long as his ego allows that he is not the main man.
Couldn't be further from the truth. There's nothing more 'talismanic' about Rashford over Pogba.

Deery

Dreary
People criticising Pogba would be the same saying Paul Scholes is the best in the world

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.

20k? Is that all? Obviously you don't have that much faith in the lad then.

Why now a zillion quid if you are really really sure? Pussy.

roonster09

Scout
Couldn't be further from the truth. There's nothing more 'talismanic' about Rashford over Pogba.
I thought worse part was "Matic can offer same as Pogba". There isn't a CM who combines the passing and dribbling ability of Pogba, also his ability to hold against anyone when it comes to physical challenges. He is a complete package, somehow it's Pogba's mistake that people expected him to control tempo, score goals, create chances, win tackles all by himself.

He never had any problem playing support role for Juventus with players like Pirlo, Vidal, Dybala or for France but somehow people built this myth that Pogba always want to be the star of the team and throws hissy fit if someone else is taking the limelight. I mean which football player won't love to play with very good players?

Last edited:

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Got to keep him this summer. We have to get him to sign the contract. If not it’s one step forward and two steps backward. Sign players to show him we are improving and buying with a purpose.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Life's good. He's got the keys. Fernandes' got the keys.

Should get a goal or two against Villa.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I thought worse part was "Matic can offer same as Pogba". There isn't a CM who combines the passing and dribbling ability of Pogba, also his ability to hold against anyone when it comes to physical challenges. He is a complete package, somehow it's Pogba's mistake that people expected him to do control tempo, score goals, create chances, win tackles all by himself.

He never had any problem playing support role for Juventus with players like Pirlo, Vidal, Dybala or for France but somehow people built this myth that Pogba always want to be the star of the team and throws hissy fit if someone else is taking the limelight. I mean which football player won't love to play with very good players?
It's probably eating at his soul to see a calm Pogba playing the way he has since his return. There is no nothing to complain about so one needs to be creative

Lj82

I thought he looks tired every time since 65-75 minutes and starts committing unnecessary fouls. Goes to show how difficult it is to get back to full match fitness after such a long time out through injury.

roonster09

Scout
It's probably eating at his soul to see a calm Pogba playing the way he has since his return. There is no nothing to complain about so one needs to be creative
Yeah, don't know where all this "jealous of Bruno" is coming from. He has played with few of the football greats but somehow people think he can't take it if he isn't the star of the team.

Any football player would be happy to play with other great players. They play the game to win trophies and only way you can achieve that is when you have multiple good players

shahzy

Bruno makes the team good. Pogba makes the team better.
Those are 2 different statements. Some players do 1 or the other and some of the best players of all time do both.

shahzy

Do you not like confident people? Do you dislike people having fun? Or do you dislike people with new hairstyles every second week? Do you dislike people that you deem to be flashy? Do you dislike him because of not taking a photo with you before a game?
I'm trying to think of reasons as to why you do not like him. I have to assume you're a sane person because your disliking of him cant be because of his footballing ability. Surely

shahzy

I don't think his role changed, it's the role that he played during the 2016/2017 season, the role he was criticized for because people wanted more since he was the most expensive player in the world. They wanted him to do what he is currently doing and also do what Bruno is currently doing. The difference isn't Pogba, it's that Bruno is doing his job properly and at a high level unlike the previous players we had behind the striker.
Wholeheartedly agree with this sentiment. He was expected to score, assist, ping passes everywhere and then track back and make tackles all at world class levels for midfielders that would only fulfill 1 or maybe 2 of those jobs. Essentially the job of at least 2 players. No other midfielder in the history of midfielders was expected to be a world class player in 3 different positions ALL within One game. With that sort of expectation, prime Xavi would have failed too as he couldnt tackle either or track back after passing.

In addition to that, Pogba had the likes of Herrera - a good solid squad option but not the guy whos going to assist and score, Lingard - was an anti player. Created congestion on the field and made it worse, Mctominay - good squad player, but he isnt going to get the assists or score himself etc. So pogba out of necessity was asked to do the job of 2-3 men and asked to do them at world class levels for each which is impossible. It made no sense.

Reactions: roonster09

emdee

I find it fascinating how his game/performance is evaluated by some:

Contained, disciplined and making contributions as a dlp - no goals; not as involved; supporting role player; luxury player, etc.
Playmaker with good statistical output - undisciplined; doing too much; not a midfielder, highlight player, etc.

In my opinion, he's been good since his return but I think his quality of play has largely been at this level; the biggest difference in the perception of his game overall is the Ws and the talent around him now removing some of the focus. He plays this same way but it's losses/draws instead, I think the general perception changes also.

The expectation from some has been for him to individually carry a team but that's just not the reality of this sport, regardless of position. The very best of this game are also playing with good to world class players at seemingly every position. No one single player can completely change the level of a team - and no that hasn't happened here. An improving young team (see City away; Spurs and Liverpool home) made a great addition and added another back to the team which is the squad we are seeing now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Penna

Varun

Staff
I thought worse part was "Matic can offer same as Pogba". There isn't a CM who combines the passing and dribbling ability of Pogba, also his ability to hold against anyone when it comes to physical challenges. He is a complete package, somehow it's Pogba's mistake that people expected him to control tempo, score goals, create chances, win tackles all by himself.

Sammsky's the guy who started that elephant in the room thread about Pogba. Dislikes him with fervor for whatever reason so I wouldn't waste my breath discussing pogba with him if I were you. Matic and AWB offer what Pogba does. feck me :lol:

led_scholes

He looks both confident and calm. Lets hope he wants to stay and create a fearsome partnership with Bruno.

roonster09

Scout
Sammsky's the guy who started that elephant in the room thread about Pogba. Dislikes him with fervor for whatever reason so I wouldn't waste my breath discussing pogba with him if I were you. Matic and AWB offer what Pogba does. feck me :lol:
Yeah I wouldn't too, that's why I didnt quote him:D

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Got to keep him this summer. We have to get him to sign the contract. If not it’s one step forward and two steps backward. Sign players to show him we are improving and buying with a purpose.
It would also make it easier to sell the Club to potential signing, when they see the like of Pogba and Bruno dominating games.

Status
Not open for further replies.