6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

DoomSlayer

I feel dirty for writing it, but I agree with Raiola on everything he is saying about the club structure and ambition. :annoyed:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
This goes back to my original post. If he cared so much about his client and he was concerned by the failures of the club he was getting him into, he wouldn't have advised him to make that move because all of these issues were apparent back then. He steered De Ligt to Juventus and away from Barcelona for apparently the same reason.
That's pure hindsight though, in 2016 United signs Mourinho and seems to be heading in the right direction, a few promises could have easily convinced players that we were going to quickly be at the top of Europe. And it also ignores the idea that Pogba wanted to comeback for reasons that are beyond football, he allegedly considers the club as home, there is nothing an agent can do about that, he can only try to manipulate the club and in this case Woodward, if things happen to turn sour.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Also if you don’t like him you are racist apparently, even though united have a proud history of black players.
If your issue is with his hair, his dancing and his phantom ‘attitude problems’, you probably need a diversity and equality course, yes.

You appear to have the most deep personal hatred for him, and I’ve gone back and forth with you probing for the substance behind it, and you haven’t managed much more than a bunch of made up (and inaccurate) stats, generalisations about his character and barely anything tangible at all.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Well there's only so many days you can have the flu for. I think the club would be in a strong position to challenge him if the flu dragged on which seems to be happening
Please explain to me how his flu ‘seems’ to be dragging on. What has given you the impression that his cold has lasted longer than any other cold? Has there been an update on his cold? Or are you making this up?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
The second part there is what I’ve been banging on about. This whole ‘he’s made it crystal clear’ thing - I just never got that impression. Real made a bid in the summer (as derisory as it was) and the window was open. If there was a time to agitate for a move, it would have been then. Not a few weeks after the window closes.

Andersonson

If your issue is with his hair, his dancing and his phantom ‘attitude problems’, you probably need a diversity and equality course, yes.

You appear to have the most deep personal hatred for him, and I’ve gone back and forth with you probing for the substance behind it, and you haven’t managed much more than a bunch of made up (and inaccurate) stats, generalisations about his character and barely anything tangible at all.
Stop trying to make it about race though. You can dislike a black man without it being racist. You can also dislike a white man. Or a jew. Its the person he dislikes, not the race...

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Stop trying to make it about race though. You can dislike a black man without it being racist. You can also dislike a white man. Or a jew. Its the person he dislikes, not the race...
You can dislike anyone. Naturally, the issue of race is only dependent upon the reasons for said dislike.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Needs more support. What does that mean, need more money? Ole has been terrific in his handling of Pogba, no doubt about that. If Pogba wants to stay that's great, however I don't think he has earned a significant upgrade in contract either. Seems like maybe we are working towards stabilising our wage bill, and being strong in negotiations is a part of that. I think the continuous Pogba drama that started since he came is a huge distraction and might be more of a hindrance to the team, more so than his output as a bonus player if he is constantly injured and out of form. I do think whatever happens here it's fine either way.

tjb

If he is going to stay, then we will need to sort out a plan around him.

a. We could go back to a three man midfield, buying a holding midfielder and Haaland would be key, as the lack of no.10 means that the striker would need to have the strength and balance to play on his own. Neither Rashford or Martial have shown this.

b. We push Pogba to a no.10 position. This would mean that we would need to sign a good passer of the ball in midfield as neither mctominay or Fred are great distributors. We would also have to decide how high up the pitch pogba plays as a 10. Would he be a tradition playmaker or an attacking midfielder in the mould of scholes in 2003.

USREDEVIL

Needs more support. What does that mean, need more money? Ole has been terrific in his handling of Pogba, no doubt about that. If Pogba wants to stay that's great, however I don't think he has earned a significant upgrade in contract either. Seems like maybe we are working towards stabilising our wage bill, and being strong in negotiations is a part of that. I think the continuous Pogba drama that started since he came is a huge distraction and might be more of a hindrance to the team, more so than his output as a bonus player if he is constantly injured and out of form. I do think whatever happens here it's fine either way.
More support to win the "prizes" as referred to earlier. You can't really blame him. We need players who are determined and focused on winning trophies and they should be frustrated if they're not winning trophies. At the same time if we do get these types of players, then we need to give them the tools (aka supporting staff) to get those "prizes."

Litch

Agree.

3KDré

I think a contract extension is incoming soon looking at his agent’s quotes today. Win-win situation for us anyway
Could see him staying. If he sticks through with it we could win big things if we improve other things of course.

mancan92

Agree and I stand corrected.

This goes back to my original post. If he cared so much about his client and he was concerned by the failures of the club he was getting him into, he wouldn't have advised him to make that move because all of these issues were apparent back then. He steered De Ligt to Juventus and away from Barcelona for apparently the same reason.
It was pogba's decision to come here not Riaola. He clearly says Pogba wanted to come home.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Raiola is right.

United is Americanised and about Money.

Whether Ole is good enough tactically long term or not - what he is doing right now is a managers and a DOF's job at once & his handling of Pogba has been good.

Add another CAM to possibly replace the aging ones and gomes (someone like Griealish who can play in midfield too) then that's two birds knocked with one stone.

Ancient Of Days

Just time and games really. It's never really seemed like he's tried to work on his flaws while here to me.

I deffo see what you're saying, although I'd say Shaw won because he stood out on the pitch perhaps, possibly more because we finally saw some decent fullback performances after so long with nothing on show there, even if they weren't anything special in reality. Pogba stood out with certain stats, but less so on the pitch most of the time.
Different coaches that did not know how to manage him.

Mourinho's anti football style of tactics was never really going to work out for Pogba and we have never had the midfield to compliment his abilities as he had the luxury of at Juve and the national team

Ole has now decided his best position is sitting deep in midfield, which we know is never going to make the most of his abilities.

As for the player of the season award, there was no logical reason why Shaw won ahead of Pogba other than the perception that Pogba had a terrible season( which he didn't) which is the narrative the media fed everyone with

It would be the equivalent of giving AWB the player of the season over Rashford if they continue to perform in the same vein, even though Rashford has been the greater difference in results.

Pogba;s form defininitely tailed off towards the end of the season, but that was team overall form.

Luke Shaw won because he turned up and didn't feck up on the pitch for once and it was anybody but Pogba.

When we were going through our purple patch Pogba was one of the main contributors to that and he rightly deserved all the praise he was getting from fans and media alike. On the flip side when we played for almost 3 months like a team of strangers Pogba was notable in his absence. Of course its a team game win or lose but Pogba has built up this aura of being a world class player so of course he's going to be put under more scrutiny than someone who isn't expected to perform at a higher level.
So you can see that it was the team's overall performance that dropped yet you seem to be under the impression that because Pogba believes himself to be he's world class, he is to blame?

Nothing to do with management, tactics, the manager motivating the players, Pogba is meant to get the team in sync and make sure each and every player does their job?

And if he fails he deserves to have fans abusing him, being told to 'do one' by Neville and having an entire panel of pundits on Sky sports from Keane, Souness and the presenter, denote an entire segment criticising him?

Why didn't we see so much scrutiny when De Gea was literally costing us games last season when he was in poor form?

You say Pogba has built up an aura? How did he do that? He's proven to be our best player and has delivered on the world stage, but with your tone it's just an aura Pogba concocted?

Why is it a twisted joke about Shaw winning the POTY? Pogba performed great for a 2 or 3 month period, the other 6 months he wasn't actually very good whereas Shaw performed at a more consistent level for longer, although I have to say no one deserved POTY last season.
How could Luke Shaw be more consistent when he was injured most of the time, and is consistently having problems with his weight to the point he had to be sent to a special fitness camp to get in shape?

Luke Shaw has had just as many poor lacklustre performances during his time here, which is why this season many were grateful of the emergence of Brandon Williams as his replacement.

If it wasn't for Pogba's form last season, Ole wouldn't have a job right now.

You seem to think because one prick abused him Pogba doesn't have to show loyalty towards the club. I call BS on that. He's first and foremost a professional and if he gets upset because of one person then maybe he doesn't have the mentality to reach the very top. Or another way to look at it is it'll be very good experience for him if he does feck off to Madrid because there their supporters are ruthless. I would wish him good luck but it would be very tongue in cheek.
The British media isn't one person, neither is the entire Sky punditry team that magnify and over blow every mistake he makes

Wasn't it G.Neville who called him disgusting or a disgrace because he took a penalty ahead of his mate Rashford which cited hordes of socalled fans to racially abuse him on twitter.

As for Madrid fans they are a harsh bunch, but at least they do not discriminate who they boo and its usually tied to performances rather than anything else and they boo the entire team while they're at it.

Their actual worst performers can't get away with delivery mediocrity. The amount of sub par performances the likes of Shaw, Mata, Fred and Sanchez served up after being big money purchases, without getting abused and harrassed by the media and our fans is astonishing.

The only other player that can be compared is Fellaini who funnily enough was one of our better players while we were here.

Once Pogba leaves, we can sign David Rice or some other British midfielder for 100+ mil and we'll see if they suffer the same abuse if they dont score hatricks and save the team every game

Last edited:

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
I remain of the opinion that he is only still here because no bids big enough have come in and Riaola is only saying this because he’s finally come to the realisation that there isn’t a team out there who’s either willing to pay what we’d ask or would give him a bigger profile than he could get here.

Pogba needs to come back into the team and roll his sleeves up and contribute. All the other noise would fade away if he actually started to justify his fee and wages.

I’m not his biggest fan but I believe ...

DDG
AWB Lindelof Maguire Shaw
McT Fred
James Pogba Rashford
Martial​

... has all the makings of a top team. We’ve already been playing better football with a much more potent attack, now of Pogba can come into Lingards / Pereira’s position and feed James, Martial and Rashford with the quality we all know he has then we will be more than a match for any defence.

fergiesarmy1

My issues is he’s shit

edcunited1878

Not to derail the Pogba thread, but United have spent handsomely the past 6 years but haven't spent it well at all and the managerial choices combined with lack of continuity of said signings isn't an American POV or European POV. It's just bad business decisions that have set back United.

If Pogba plays in whatever role he's given, he has to bust his ass as it's apparent that the team in recent weeks has at least busted a gut. The team has pushed themselves up the table and are in touching distance of (somehow) European/CL places. It's still a tall task, but if Pogba is that guy who he and everyone wants him to be, then he has to show that every single match. No matter if things are coming off, it won't always, but the desire, attitude and drive has to be at a higher more consistent level if United are to set off in the 2nd half of the season.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
My issues is he’s shit
Course he is. And when asked to elaborate on your issues it seems to have little to do with this anyway.

If that’s what has enraged you so much, should we get rid of all the ‘shit’ players and keep the non-shit ones? If the line of shit is at Pogba’s level, how many fall below it? Do you want them out?

doriandun

What's actually happened is Riaola has found out that Madrid will be signing Erikssen on a free or for minimal fee in Jan, with the form of Valverde so promising, the Madrid Hierachy do not see any value splashing out over 100 mill on Pogba plus wages, so he is laying down the ground work for a new contract.The bottom line is money in all businesses, no matter how you chop it up, and it is no diffferent from the americanized way Riaola goes about collecting his big fee's.

fergiesarmy1

Course he is. And when asked to elaborate on your issues it seems to have little to do with this anyway.

If that’s what has enraged you so much, should we get rid of all the ‘shit’ players and keep the non-shit ones? If the line of shit is at Pogba’s level, how many fall below it? Do you want them out?
Pro rata pal, I don’t mind players that don’t cost £100m who bust a gut verses Knobheads who take the piss in Dubai, then Miami and then Paris but is now “ill”

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Pro rata pal, I don’t mind players that don’t cost £100m who bust a gut verses Knobheads who take the piss in Dubai, then Miami and then Paris but is now “ill”
Now we’re getting back to the root of the matter again, which is your irrational dislike. Let me repeat it for you. Pogba has been INJURED. Wherever he is recovering, so long as it’s with the club’s blessing, is not a problem. Well it is for fergiesredarmy1 because he has a problem with Paul Pogba. He has such a problem that he now puts ‘ill’ in inverted commas, because of course, he has decided, despite the manager saying ‘he came back and saw the club doctor and was seen to be ill’, that Paul Pogba is pretending. Of course, injuries are not uncommon in football, nor is a human being falling ill in December in England. But fergiesredarmy1 has dismissed it as ‘taking the piss’, because an illness kept him out of training for what, a few days?

You should speak to someone. You seem stuck in some Graeme Souness/Roy Keane utopia. You don’t mind less talented players so long as they run about, and ultimately, fit the description of what you have been taught to believe a passionate and committed footballer looks like.

Walters_19_MuFc

What's actually happened is Riaola has found out that Madrid will be signing Erikssen on a free or for minimal fee in Jan, with the form of Valverde so promising, the Madrid Hierachy do not see any value splashing out over 100 mill on Pogba plus wages, so he is laying down the ground work for a new contract.The bottom line is money in all businesses, no matter how you chop it up, and it is no diffferent from the americanized way Riaola goes about collecting his big fee's.
Because Real Madrid is the only club that Pogba could go to.

fergiesarmy1

Now we’re getting back to the root of the matter again, which is your irrational dislike. Let me repeat it for you. Pogba has been INJURED. Wherever he is recovering, so long as it’s with the club’s blessing, is not a problem. Well it is for fergiesredarmy1 because he has a problem with Paul Pogba. He has such a problem that he now puts ‘ill’ in inverted commas, because of course, he has decided, despite the manager saying ‘he came back and saw the club doctor and was seen to be ill’, that Paul Pogba is pretending. Of course, injuries are not uncommon in football, nor is a human being falling ill in December in England. But fergiesredarmy1 has dismissed it as ‘taking the piss’, because an illness kept him out of training for what, a few days?

You should speak to someone. You seem stuck in some Graeme Souness/Roy Keane utopia. You don’t mind less talented players so long as they run about, and ultimately, fit the description of what you have been taught to believe a passionate and committed footballer looks like.
6 games pal this season, 21 injured. It was a fecking ankle injury not a cruciate or worse

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
6 games pal this season, 21 injured. It was a fecking ankle injury not a cruciate or worse
Obviously a serious ankle injury then. I’d it was all a hoax, then he would have just faked ‘a cruciate or something worse’ so that he doesn’t have to return now.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Obviously a serious ankle injury then. I’d it was all a hoax, then he would have just faked ‘a cruciate or something worse’ so that he doesn’t have to return now.
No rozay it’s all a conspiracy.

Pogba is faking it, ole is involved and covering for him. The Man Utd medical staff are inept and stupid and misread the x ray. They’ve never bothered to check on the injury again since.

oh and he forced ole to let him go abroad to recover in warm weather, even though pretty much all our players do this. Sanchez went back to chile but nobody says anything about that ;)

fergiesarmy1

Pogba is faking it, ole is involved and covering for him. The Man Utd medical staff are inept and stupid and misread the x ray. They’ve never bothered to check on the injury again since.

oh and he forced ole to let him go abroad to recover in warm weather, even though pretty much all our players do this. Sanchez went back to chile but nobody says anything about that ;)
Both wankers but Sanchez isn’t as big as one, pogba has took the piss this season and his last 3 weren’t fantastic.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He's right about us, we are not run like a football club who want to win trophies. We are ran like a business who want to make money.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

Of course, a man on the caf told me so.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Both wankers but Sanchez isn’t as big as one, pogba has took the piss this season and his last 3 weren’t fantastic.
He’s a wanker now, and took the piss by being injured. Or you still sticking to your story that he has only pretended to be injured? And you know this because? Because he’s a wanker I suppose?

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Different coaches that did not know how to manage him.

Mourinho's anti football style of tactics was never really going to work out for Pogba and we have never had the midfield to compliment his abilities as he had the luxury of at Juve and the national team

Ole has now decided his best position is sitting deep in midfield, which we know is never going to make the most of his abilities.

As for the player of the season award, there was no logical reason why Shaw won ahead of Pogba other than the perception that Pogba had a terrible season( which he didn't) which is the narrative the media fed everyone with

It would be the equivalent of giving AWB the player of the season over Rashford if they continue to perform in the same vein, even though Rashford has been the greater difference in results.

Pogba;s form defininitely tailed off towards the end of the season, but that was team overall form.

Luke Shaw won because he turned up and didn't feck up on the pitch for once and it was anybody but Pogba.

So you can see that it was the team's overall performance that dropped yet you seem to be under the impression that because Pogba believes himself to be he's world class, he is to blame?

Nothing to do with management, tactics, the manager motivating the players, Pogba is meant to get the team in sync and make sure each and every player does their job?

And if he fails he deserves to have fans abusing him, being told to 'do one' by Neville and having an entire panel of pundits on Sky sports from Keane, Souness and the presenter, denote an entire segment criticising him?

Why didn't we see so much scrutiny when De Gea was literally costing us games last season when he was in poor form?

You say Pogba has built up an aura? How did he do that? He's proven to be our best player and has delivered on the world stage, but with your tone it's just an aura Pogba concocted?

How could Luke Shaw be more consistent when he was injured most of the time, and is consistently having problems with his weight to the point he had to be sent to a special fitness camp to get in shape?

Luke Shaw has had just as many poor lacklustre performances during his time here, which is why this season many were grateful of the emergence of Brandon Williams as his replacement.

If it wasn't for Pogba's form last season, Ole wouldn't have a job right now.

The British media isn't one person, neither is the entire Sky punditry team that magnify and over blow every mistake he makes

Wasn't it G.Neville who called him disgusting or a disgrace because he took a penalty ahead of his mate Rashford which cited hordes of socalled fans to racially abuse him on twitter.

As for Madrid fans they are a harsh bunch, but at least they do not discriminate who they boo and its usually tied to performances rather than anything else and they boo the entire team while they're at it.

Their actual worst performers can't get away with delivery mediocrity. The amount of sub par performances the likes of Shaw, Mata, Fred and Sanchez served up after being big money purchases, without getting abused and harrassed by the media and our fans is astonishing.

The only other player that can be compared is Fellaini who funnily enough was one of our better players while we were here.

Once Pogba leaves, we can sign David Rice or some other British midfielder for 100+ mil and we'll see if they suffer the same abuse if they dont score hatricks and save the team every game
We played Chelsea away and Pogba got blocked off at a corner and lost his man and they scored. Literally hundreds of headed goals a season are similar....yet this one the decided to analyse over and over at half time.

fergiesarmy1

He’s a wanker now, and took the piss by being injured. Or you still sticking to your story that he has only pretended to be injured? And you know this because? Because he’s a wanker I suppose?
It’s year 4 pal, do you think he’s suddenly gonna come good?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
It’s year 4 pal, do you think he’s suddenly gonna come good?
I think he’s already been relatively good, on the whole. He hasn’t been as good as I’d have hoped, but the whole team hasn’t been as good as I hoped - and I do believe that what I had hoped for Pogba would not really have been possible in a struggling team. Hasn’t been the perfect fit.

That said, I am more confident now that he will be closer to the Pogba I hoped to see regularly because I think the other areas of the team are working in a way that will make it easier to perform at his best.

But make no mistake, I don’t share this view that he’s had 2 or 3 good games in 3 years or whatever. He’s had several good games, and for the most part, whenever United have played well, he’s played well. As disappointing as we have been, we have generally been in and around the top quarter of teams in the league, so we still play well more often than we don’t.

fergiesarmy1

I think he’s already been relatively good, on the whole. He hasn’t been as good as I’d have hoped, but the whole team hasn’t been as good as I hoped - and I do believe that what I had hoped for Pogba would not really have been possible in a struggling team. Hasn’t been the perfect fit.

That said, I am more confident now that he will be closer to the Pogba I hoped to see regularly because I think the other areas of the team are working in a way that will make it easier to perform at his best.

But make no mistake, I don’t share this view that he’s had 2 or 3 good games in 3 years or whatever. He’s had several good games, and for the most part, whenever United have played well, he’s played well. As disappointing as we have been, we have generally been in and around the top quarter of teams in the league, so we still play well more often than we don’t.
That’s the problem “relatively good” this is our most expensive player of all time.

Status
Not open for further replies.