Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Dont extend. 5 years in and he still is as inconsistent as an 18 year old. He will never work properly with Bruno here as well, and i also think he is the most overrated player that has played for United.
Jesus

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
*Signs new deal on mega money*

A thread 3 years later on the caf....'Whats Pogba's best position?'

This guy hasnt been consistent for Jose or Ole. Nothing in me says it will be any different for the rest of Oles time here and the next guys too. He just isn't suited to PL football as he doesn't like to do the hard miles.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Not too surprising. Real Madrid has fallen behind a bit in terms of allure. They're still a giant club but the star factor is lacking. PSG still plays in Ligue 1, a rather underwhelming day-to-day life, where as Manchester United is both willing to pay and is one of the top clubs in England (despite what some of you are going to reply to that triggerword). If the money is enough, he'll sign the deal.

And yeah, I bet he's frustrated at Ole lately, he was on the bench and we've lost some games. Its been a bad month after a good season opener. People get frustrated at people all the time, nothing about that is remotely surprising.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I am too daft to understand this.
So he was hiding his desire to extend? Like that's the reason he didn't sign a new contract?
Or he is no longer hiding his desire to extend because the club has not offered him an extension and he's asking for it?
Or is it his desire to become one of the highest paid player in history? And he was hiding it until now?
Are people getting paid for writing those tweets?

red4ever 79

Not too surprising. Real Madrid has fallen behind a bit in terms of allure. They're still a giant club but the star factor is lacking. PSG still plays in Ligue 1, a rather underwhelming day-to-day life, where as Manchester United is both willing to pay and is one of the top clubs in England (despite what some of you are going to reply to that triggerword). If the money is enough, he'll sign the deal.

And yeah, I bet he's frustrated at Ole lately, he was on the bench and we've lost some games. Its been a bad month after a good season opener. People get frustrated at people all the time, nothing about that is remotely surprising.
If Madrid sign Mbappe then he might be tempted

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
I am too daft to understand this.
So he was hiding his desire to extend? Like that's the reason he didn't sign a new contract?
Or he is no longer hiding his desire to extend because the club has not offered him an extension and he's asking for it?
Or is it his desire to become one of the highest paid player in history? And he was hiding it until now?
Are people getting paid for writing those tweets?
Aka Pogba realised no other clubs are dumb enough to pay what he and his agent wants and his best choice is to renew his contract with us.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Have we ever tried him with a 3 man midfield or atleast with proper support in midfield? Ole has no clue on how to use him and Jose saw him as a DM. KDB level of talent is simply getting wasted because we have had two clueless managers on how to use him.

We are wasting/wasted player potential under different average managers.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Have we ever tried him with a 3 man midfield or atleast with proper support in midfield? Ole has no clue on how to use him and Jose saw him as a DM. KDB level of talent is simply getting wasted because we have had two clueless managers on how to use him.

Pogba is good with France because he has Kante. We have Fred who's just not up for it.

But do go on, can you elaborate on precisely what you mean with proper support in midfield?

RUCK4444

Renew him, he’s an elite talent we just need to make it work with a top level DM, which we can, I’m certain of it.

DM is our next position to strengthen regardless, which also happens to be the position we must strengthen in order to get Pogba on the pitch in his best position.

Lose Pogba and we still need that top DM regardless but then also need to replace our most talented player in the squad on top of it. This is a nightmare scenario in a summer we will be losing Cavani and hopefully channeling our efforts (and budget more to the point) into Haaland.

Basic squad building and it’s the next step in our progression on the pitch.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Renew him, he’s an elite talent we just need to make it work with a top level DM, which we can, I’m certain of it.

DM is our next position to strengthen regardless, which also happens to be the position we must strengthen in order to get Pogba on the pitch in his best position.

Lose Pogba and we still need that top DM regardless but then also need to replace our most talented player in the squad on top of it. This is a nightmare scenario in a summer we will be losing Cavani and hopefully channeling our efforts (and budget more to the point) into Haaland.

Basic squad building and it’s the next step in our progression on the pitch.
If we could, we would have done it by now.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
I don't think he's worth the hassle or the wages. He's good enough to stay here as a squad player, but he's way too inconsistent to nail down a starting spot.

He can't play in a midfield 2.
He can't play in a 3 if one of the other midfielders is Bruno.
He can play as a LW, but Rashford is way better when he's back to full fitness.

The other thing is we'll have to listen to his cnut agent spouting shite every few months in the media.

So, if he's happy for that squad role on reduced wages he's worth keeping.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Class at what he does. Untouchable when he’s on form. Seems like a well liked player.

But

Pogba and a Dm like Matic in his prime? We didn’t control games at all because it just doesn’t work. Anderlect Vigo and other teams were all over us and we finished 6th in the league? We eventually bought fred to go to a 3 in midfield to combat that and Jose got sacked. Pogba is terrible in any two man midfield. I don’t know how many more examples people need. Three man midfield with Juve. Yup. Three man midfield with France. Yup. Three man midfield with Utd. Yup. Basically a free role too. Goes into a disciplined two with Kante at the Euros and they get destroyed. Into a two at Utd same thing. It’s not about who else you play beside him. It’s who’s behind him doing the donkey work and no one player can because he’s so unpredictable.

If you can’t consistently and reliably defend you’re not a CM.

He’s an out and out attacking midfielder. What other top midfield has one of their two players with no defensive responsibility? It doesn’t exist.

I don’t know how many more examples the we just a DM brigade need. Unless we change to a 3 and drop Bruno Pogba is always going to be shoehorned in at the expense of attacking balance and defensive stability.

Last edited:

RUCK4444

If we could, we would have done it by now.
Well my point sort of explains why we haven't. We need a top level DM. We don't have a single DM in the entire squad other than Matic who's legs have gone.

I've pointed out before that perhaps Pogba's best form came when he was partnered early on with Matic before Matic legs went.

People like to jump on Pogba's back and he deserves some criticism however why I've always given him some slack is that we knew before we brought him back what we needed to do to make it work with Pogba and get the best from him and we've done next to nothing to achieve that other than the half-arsed signing of Matic who's legs went almost immediately.

Mourinho wanted to partner the two, if Matic were 26 it would have worked, in fairness to Mourinho he trusted Matic and he was an excellent player capable of covering the ground.

My argument is that we still need that 26 year old Matic, because if you think McFred are anywhere near that level you would have to be mad. Everybody knows Pogba needs a top level partner at DM. Here at the Caf we pretend he's been provided that at United.

izzydiggler

I'm not the biggest fan of his and I don't think he's worth the sort of money touted but he can contribute great things (albeit inconsistently) and we're a better squad with him in...in short, I'm not kind of easy however it pans out.

laughtersassassin

Keep Pogba we need to sign a top tier DM.

Lose Pogba we need a top their DM and a top tier CM. So I hope we keep him

HailtotheKing

Well my point sort of explains why we haven't. We need a top level DM. We don't have a single DM in the entire squad other than Matic who's legs have gone.

I've pointed out before that perhaps Pogba's best form came when he was partnered early on with Matic before Matic legs went.

People like to jump on Pogba's back and he deserves some criticism however why I've always given him some slack is that we knew before we brought him back what we needed to do to make it work with Pogba and get the best from him and we've done next to nothing to achieve that other than the half-arsed signing of Matic who's legs went almost immediately.

Mourinho wanted to partner the two, if Matic were 26 it would have worked, in fairness to Mourinho he trusted Matic and he was an excellent player capable of covering the ground.

My argument is that we still need that 26 year old Matic, because if you think McFred are anywhere near that level you would have to be mad. Everybody knows Pogba needs a top level partner at DM. Here at the Caf we pretend he's been provided that at United.
Who would you go for as DM?

Longshanks

Matic was a top level DM when we signed him and he was partnered with him for most of that season and it was still a pretty average midfield for most of the time.

Bruno is better at 10, he's not a six, and he gives the ball away too much to be classed at top no 8. No amount of world class dm's could stop his sloppiness with the ball and reluctance to actually run rather than jog around.

He tries to overcomplicate everything, takes too many touches or tries outrageous passes when there is no need. If he had learnt to keep it simple sometimes to work space and then produce the magic he would be great, instead he just constantly tries to show of his physical and technical prowess in every situation and gets caught out all the time at the highest level.

Dont renew, let him go on a free, he can be someone else's problem and we can get of the merry-go-round of he just a partner or he needs to play in a three blah blah blah.

Ddannidom

I'm sticking my neck out and I will say we've failed over the years to build a kind of team that Pogba thrives in either because of the manger's lack of tactical onus or the club sabotaging the efforts of the manager by not backing them. Has been either of the two all this period he's been with us. We can't actually pretend to forget how we've whined and loated the club's ownership because of these things.

So, it baffles me when people keep asking why we can't get it right with Pogba.

Obviously a class player who you build a team around like it or not. You can't just throw out your best tools because an employee is having difficulties with it.

For me Pogba is a huge fan of this club and sincerely wants to see us succeed and he brings a level of technicality that is so rare.

Sometimes (prior Bruno) he was literally the reason many people like me still watched Manchester United games even in our worst runs. You can't take out the 'pull something out of the bag' feeling Pogba brings to our game, and there are not so many of his like in the market anymore.

People acting like this club has persistently gotten things right and Pogba being the only hindrance.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri

Yes, when Ole was caretaker manager when he actually managed to string wins together. Ander, Matic and Pogba played together in a 433 with Lingard triggering the press up front. Then Ander left, Fred developed, we went to shit, and Ole bought Bruno and Bruno saved us.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Matic was a top level DM when we signed him and he was partnered with him for most of that season and it was still a pretty average midfield for most of the time.

Bruno is better at 10, he's not a six, and he gives the ball away too much to be classed at top no 8. No amount of world class dm's could stop his sloppiness with the ball and reluctance to actually run rather than jog around.

He tries to overcomplicate everything, takes too many touches or tries outrageous passes when there is no need. If he had learnt to keep it simple sometimes to work space and then produce the magic he would be great, instead he just constantly tries to show of his physical and technical prowess in every situation and gets caught out all the time at the highest level.

Dont renew, let him go on a free, he can be someone else's problem and we can get of the merry-go-round of he just a partner or he needs to play in a three blah blah blah.
The problem is that Bruno as a number 10 isn't working at its best with C Ronaldo as a striker. This is seen in Portugal aswell.

Bruno is a CAM that normally gets in to forward positions as a support striker. Now his position is taken nearly all the time by Ronaldo - and to create for him - he has to play deeper, he can not play as a number 10 and just play through balls simply to Ronaldo through a low block defence, he has to drop deeper and whip balls in to Ronaldo that outdoes the defenders.

This is why Bruno Fernandes and Pogba will play as CAM/CM hybrid type players, each having a go depending on who gets the chance. All the defensive work would most likely be done by a shielding player like Rice. Pogba and Bruno are able to drop deep aswell as get forward depending on kind of who can.

VinzentFTW

Supports
Liverpool

We have to drop Bruno then, or move Bruno out to the wings or as a false 9.

RUCK4444

Who would you go for as DM?
Somebody like Tchouameni, Rice, Gueye

I believe we can make it work with the right player, especially if we can start playing that higher line and pushing up the pitch against most teams now we have an improvement in Varane behind them.

We also have relatively defensive minded fullbacks who can help fill in where required. It can definitely work against the majority of teams.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
At some point, if you wish to get the best out of him, you have to play him in a midfield two and live with the fact that you'll be vulnerable to counters and back yourself to win games 3-1 or 4-2. The fear of conceding will never unlock our potential in attack. If you wish to have that protection, might as well ask Wan Bissaka to tuck into midfield for numbers as he's worth less going forward anyways.

Valencia's Left Foot

Supports
Austin FC, USMNT, Three Lions
Please no. We should sell him next summer if he wants crazy money. He just don't back it up enough with his performances.
I'm with you. I'm a Pogba fan, but I'm tired of the team always having to perform gymnastics to fit him in the squad...he's good, but not that good Sell him and buy a more well rounded MF.

Valencia's Left Foot

Supports

He might have the talent of KDB, but Pogba will never have the mentality or competitiveness of KDB. That guy is bulldog always looking for a battle.

Valencia's Left Foot

Supports

Even a top level DM wouldn't be able to make up for an unbalanced lineup with Pogba and Bruno in it. Pogba is not a true MF; he an attacking MF incapable of consistently helping out of defense.

Valencia's Left Foot

Supports
I'm sticking my neck out and I will say we've failed over the years to build a kind of team that Pogba thrives in either because of the manger's lack of tactical onus or the club sabotaging the efforts of the manager by not backing them. Has been either of the two all this period he's been with us. We can't actually pretend to forget how we've whined and loated the club's ownership because of these things.

So, it baffles me when people keep asking why we can't get it right with Pogba.

Obviously a class player who you build a team around like it or not. You can't just throw out your best tools because an employee is having difficulties with it.

For me Pogba is a huge fan of this club and sincerely wants to see us succeed and he brings a level of technicality that is so rare.

Sometimes (prior Bruno) he was literally the reason many people like me still watched Manchester United games even in our worst runs. You can't take out the 'pull something out of the bag' feeling Pogba brings to our game, and there are not so many of his like in the market anymore.

People acting like this club has persistently gotten things right and Pogba being the only hindrance.
The dilemma is that you really can't have both Pogba and Bruno in the same side, so who do you want to build the team around? For me, based upon results, attitude and effort displayed on a game by game basis, I'm going to go with Bruno. Pogba is a great player, but the team would be better off if we let him go and found more complimentary pieces to build around Bruno. You might be right that United properly didn't build around Pogba, but Bruno got in the way of the team moving in that direction.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Is it a coincidence that his 3 best games this season came in the first 3 when the window was still open and since closing he's reverted to standard Pogba?

Maybe I'm being a bit too cynical as I'm not his biggest fan but it's definitely true if you look at the games. He's not been great in the last 4 league games and cup games at all. Not the only one that's true of in his defence but I simply can't trust this player to deliver how a 90m player should.

Best for all parties if he moves on. If he stays and wants to then that's fine too but I don't think much will change personally. He will go from the sublime to the ridiculous and back again.

RUCK4444

Even a top level DM wouldn't be able to make up for an unbalanced lineup with Pogba and Bruno in it. Pogba is not a true MF; he an attacking MF incapable of consistently helping out of defense.
Well that’s where we disagree because I believe a top DM gets all of our best players on the pitch in 90% of games.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Well that’s where we disagree because I believe a top DM gets all of our best players on the pitch in 90% of games.
Ronaldo and Pogba are both players not interested in running and closing down the ball. That would need to be some DM to counter the above.

Personally don't think Pogba is the right player for Bruno or us. However his fans are so insistent that he's been badly managed rather than the fact he's just a talented player with loads of flaws.

clarkydaz

Early on Ole said Pogba is a player you build a team around. Then went on to not build a team around him and now shoehorns him in out of position. But yeah lets throw money at him and his agent to prolong it all

RUCK4444

Ronaldo and Pogba are both players not interested in running and closing down the ball. That would need to be some DM to counter the above.

Personally don't think Pogba is the right player for Bruno or us. However his fans are so insistent that he's been badly managed rather than the fact he's just a talented player with loads of flaws.
Most teams don’t rely on their number 9 to make up for their DM’s shortcomings defensively though, I get there is an overall work rate within the squad to maintain but that can be addressed with the right approach.

It would need coaching into the players but a higher line (with us now having Varane) and fullbacks to help out if required it shouldn’t need a Cavani-level graft from our no 9.

Just look at us in the last few games and you can see where this can be tweaked and implemented, so long as his partner is upgraded (which needs to happen anyway remember.)

Status
Not open for further replies.