Paul Pogba | Undergoing Medical | Helping out the Laundry Ladies

Do you want Pogba for £100 million?

• Total voters

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Not sure if months are counted or just number of seasons. I asked MR.Mujac on Twitter, he said Pogba will count as home grown player.

Not sure though.
Le Havre registered a complaint about our signing of him, so although we basically signed him in July 2009 he wasnt registered until October, so when he left in July 2012 he hasn't made the 36 months.

Unless @Mr. MUJAC can correct me, he knows his stuff.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Pogba's holiday is a special case. He played up till final with france, so it's only fair he got longer holiday. In fact it's not even longer, just started on a later date.

Out of interest, does any other France / portugal nt players got an extended holiday? Or was it just pogba?

Raw

I think the rule is that they have to either spend 3 seasons or 3 years prior to their 21st birthday.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Interesting, will see if he replies to my post above, I'm curious now.
Yeah. Not sure whether they will consider 36 months like you said or just 3 seasons.

IIRC Ronaldo was home grown player but he didn't spend 36 months before his 21st bday in pl.

Rory 7

So Pogba is officially a home-grown United player. We are potentially going to spend £100m on buying back a home-grown United player. This has to be a first in world football. For a club to break a transfer record to buy back a 'home-grown' talent.

BigBadKev

Have Juve officially said that or just 'sky sources'?
I didn't hear anything "official". Sorry, I don't have a link as this was on SSN HQ. The implication was lawyers were talking in Manchester, but that could just have been my desperate interpretation. I can't find a link on their transfer central web page, but this was definitely the head line from the transfer central reporter.

Rory 7

Two more years and they could get a British passport.
I'm surprised 21 is the cut-off. Surely 18 should be the threshold. That is to say if with a club for 3 years before the age of 18. Why 21? It seems a bit arbitrary given he could vote from 18!
I guess its UEFA/FIFA structures - e.g. the under 21 championships etc.

Hellboy

So Pogba is officially a home-grown United player. We are potentially going to spend £100m on buying back a home-grown United player. This has to be a first in world football. For a club to break a transfer record to buy back a 'home-grown' talent.
Probably something that won't happen for a long long time.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
According to the rules:

A home-grown player will be defined as one who, irrespective of his nationality or age, has been registered with any club affiliated to the Football Association or the Football Association of Wales for a period, continuous or not, of three entire seasons or 36 months prior to his 21st birthday (or the end of the Season during which he turns 21).
He wasn't registered for either of those time periods.

Rory 7

Forget homegrown. This is world's record transfer
It is. But don't you think the home-grown aspect makes it really unique. I mean obviously, if we were in the CL its important to have home-grown. But the fact that we are breaking a world record to buy back an officially 'home-grown' player is very very unique. 'He's One Of Our Own, He's One Of Our Own. 100m quid. And he's One Of Our Own.'

Big Andy

Bloke
From what I read the other day, they have to have been at the club for 3 years to be classed as "home grown" but he was only here 2 years and 9 months...

So I read anyway...

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
It is. But don't you think the home-grown aspect makes it really unique. I mean obviously, if we were in the CL its important to have home-grown. But the fact that we are breaking a world record to buy back an officially 'home-grown' player is very very unique. 'He's One Of Our Own, He's One Of Our Own. 100m quid. And he's One Of Our Own.'
We didn't buy him for the homegrown quota that's for sure. It's just happens

Yes. Probably a bit of shame and head banging.

But at the end of the day he's worth 100m and let's leave it at that. There's no point shooting down a world class player just because you dont want a bit of shame for letting him go

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
On what basis?[/QU
On what basis?
The general definition of a youth product is as follows:

1. Did not play professionally for another club
2. Joined before 18 years old
3. Played in our Academy (or equivalent)
4. Qualifies for FA Youth Cup

Pogba ticks all those boxes.

EUFA's criteria has little to do with actual youth development.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
The general definition of a youth product is as follows:

1. Did not play professionally for another club
2. Joined before 18 years old
3. Played in our Academy (or equivalent)
4. Qualifies for FA Youth Cup

Pogba ticks all those boxes.

EUFA's criteria has little to do with actual youth development.
:confused: that's not the PL homegrown criteria

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Maybe a stupid question, but why has his holiday been so long? I'm guessing a combination of Euros + Serie A starting late? August 7 still seems a pretty late date to return.

Skywarden

What you have to consider is one regime concluding the "sale" and another buying him back. At the very core it's two different entities, if you will.

Sir A1ex

From what I read the other day, they have to have been at the club for 3 years to be classed as "home grown" but he was only here 2 years and 9 months...

So I read anyway...
To be honest, unless anybody can dig out the registration papers it's hard to know. He first joined at the end of July, and if we've got away with that being the date, he did 3 years. If they are dated October, when it was finally settled, then obviously he didn't.

Smoking_Owl

Account closed by request: 23/11/17
It might end up being pretty important if Pogba is going to be classed as homegrown (something which I doubt) as if/when Brexit begins to take shape, who knows what kind of foreign player restrictions could be placed on PL teams in the future.