g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Pedro | Agreed terms with Chelsea

where will Pedro go?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob Bowman

Can't deny it... think we missed a quality player for a fair value. Worse part is he goes to Chelsea. I mean those who argued he wasn't good enough for us...

STE586

I'm slowly starting to think our return to the top may be further away than I'd hoped. Otamendi City bound and now Pedro going to Chelski. 2 things we needed more than anything this window, no.1 priority a world class CB, second a striker equal to Wayne. If he was to pick up a serious injury we could be in serious trouble this season - just like the mickies were last year, they let Suarez go and never replaced him (it's ok we've got Sturridge). We've let 3 Di Maria, Van & Falcao go (it's ok we've got Rooney). Liverpool thought they'd be ok cos they'd make up the goals from down the wings etc. seems we're now gonna follow that idea.

I don't believe we'd let Pedro go the bridge for the sake of a couple of million though. I just hope we're not letting all these players go thinking we can bag Bale or Müller at 11pm on deadline day.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Don't try to understand it then. Seriously, don't do that to yourself. If this is your reaction after not signing Pedro I fear for you once we don't sign Müller.
I don't think there is any chance of us getting Müller. Maybe 1%. There is no price we could buy him for that would satisfy Bayern currently.

littlepeasoup

Pedro would have been that vital final piece, very easy move as well.
Couldn't disagree more. Pedro would have slotted nicely into a di Maria sized hole, and would have done no worse than the Argentine, but he wouldn't have magically cured our goal scoring conundrum IMO. Still reckon we need a proper centre forward.

space

I don't get this LVG changed his mind rubbish, someone fecked up somewhere, LVG name dropped him a few days ago! We've been involved in this for weeks and Chelsea just sort it out in 15 hours. I think it's completely fair for our fans to be annoyed..

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I'm slowly starting to think our return to the top may be further away than I'd hoped. Otamendi City bound and now Pedro going to Chelski. 2 things we needed more than anything this window, no.1 priority a world class CB, second a striker equal to Wayne. If he was to pick up a serious injury we could be in serious trouble this season - just like the mickies were last year, they let Suarez go and never replaced him (it's ok we've got Sturridge). We've let 3 Di Maria, Van & Falcao go (it's ok we've got Rooney). Liverpool thought they'd be ok cos they'd make up the goals from down the wings etc. seems we're now gonna follow that idea.

I don't believe we'd let Pedro go the bridge for the sake of a couple of million though. I just hope we're not letting all these players go thinking we can bag Bale or Müller at 11pm on deadline day.
Pedro is not a striker though. He would not solve many issues regarding Rooney aside from providing goals from out wide which may be provided by Depay and hopefully Januzaj. We wouldn't use him instead of Rooney anyway.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I don't get this LVG changed his mind rubbish, someone fecked up somewhere, LVG name dropped him a few days ago! We've been involved in this for weeks and Chelsea just sort it out in 15 hours. I think it's completely fair for our fans to be annoyed..
We would've bought him a long time ago if we wanted him. A million here or there wouldn't have mattered. I don't think LvG wanted him in lieu of either being satisfied with what he has seen from our existing squad or having another player in the pipeline (ie Muller, De Bruyne etc).

cyberman

Have to say we might have just place for one more signing and we have realized its got to be an outright striker. I'll be disappointed if we dont end up with anyone else. But even then I would understand as we have done very well this summer and could have a stromg season without being spectacular.
Depay Rooney. Mata

...... Herrera

Schniderlin..... BFS

Somebody has yet to tell me what is wrong with this.
People talk as if we missed out on Neymar or this huge upgrade.
Pedro will now go to Chelsea and play in a style that doesn't suit him. He would have fit right into United because Of the dreaded philosophy but at Chelsea he will be more isolated and asked to contribute more individually.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Depay Rooney. Mata

...... Herrera

Schniderlin..... BFS

Pedro will now go to Chelsea and play in a style that doesn't suit him. He would have fit right into United because Of the dreaded philosophy but at Chelsea he will be more isolated and asked to contribute more individually.
Why should anyone tell you what's wrong when you already know he'll fail at chelsea? The fact is you think we don't need him and you think he will fail at Chelsea. I don't personally think he will. I think if you're looking for penetration on both sides Pedro is ideal. His experience, his threat and it's complete bullshit that we've pulled out unless we're after someone else. Would he have strengthened the squad? Answer is yes. Young should not be getting a new 3 year contract. Popular but not creative and won't score as many as Pedro.

You've put in Depay and Mata - but the truth is the penetrations on depays sholders as is not as direct or as quick as Pedro.

Last edited:

mu4c_20le

Couldn't disagree more. Pedro would have slotted nicely into a di Maria sized hole, and would have done no worse than the Argentine, but he wouldn't have magically cured our goal scoring conundrum IMO. Still reckon we need a proper centre forward.
I actually thought he would take Young's role. Memphis already replaced Di Maria. Maybe LVG started to back off after Young signed the new deal, and Adnan showed promise.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Much more likely than us having Müller lined up, surely.
Aye, it would seem the most obvious explanation (at least if we weren't understandably biased towards our own club).

We were interested, had a deal agreed with Pedro, were trying to negotiate a good deal with Barca. Chelsea swooped in, paid what Barca wanted, Pedro decided to join them instead.

In a way I'd prefer that to the idea of us wasting our time chasing a player only to randomly decide we weren't interested at the last minute.

Smores

We would've bought him a long time ago if we wanted him. A million here or there wouldn't have mattered. I don't think LvG wanted him in lieu of either being satisfied with what he has seen from our existing squad or having another player in the pipeline (ie Muller, De Bruyne etc).
Apart from LvG telling the press to ask Pedro, indicating he was the one holding it up?

Not sure why people are having difficulty coming to terms with Chelsea beating us to a player. Not like it's not happened before, heck we even signed a player only for Chelsea to grab him.

Jayvin

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I'm delighted to no longer worry about the midfield for a change. The only thing not sitting quite right with me is being so overly-dependent on Rooney. I rate Chicha and think Rooney will improve, but we do lack oomph upfront.
Absolutely, definitely a nice change. As for the striker situation, I agree that Rooney will improve with more gametime as he usually does, but when he inevitably gets injured we do look a bit short. Personally I don't mind too much though, I'm just happy that Wilson will hopefully be given chances. Overall I haven't been as confident in a Man Utd squad since 2008, I really think we will challenge on multiple fronts this season.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Apart from LvG telling the press to ask Pedro, indicating he was the one holding it up?

Not sure why people are having difficulty coming to terms with Chelsea beating us to a player. Not like it's not happened before, heck we even signed a player only for Chelsea to grab him.
I think it's moreso a counterintuitive media narrative rather than reality. If we wanted him we would've bought him, full stop. LvG obviously pulled the plug, which allowed #2 in the queue to sign him.

Jayvin

What do Chelsea even need Pedro for?
Because he's better than anyone they have in the front line bar Hazard? He absolutely shits on Cuadrado and is probably better than Willian as well. Chelsea's squad isn't that great though to be honest, even with Pedro. They will be lucky to finish 3rd.

Rich_H_1989

lost in a street fight to van gaal
Depay Rooney. Mata

...... Herrera

Schniderlin..... BFS

What's wrong with that line up? Well Rooney isn't an out and out striker for a start and he doesn't make the clever runs in behind for Mata to find him.

That leaves Memphis as our only option in behind which really isn't enough. The other issue is that you've named all our best attacking players which is fine... But who's going to come off the bench? Oh of course yes... Fellaini. Problem solved people. That is where my issue lies is that the depth in attack is sadly lacking.

Jayvin

Guys.. this is fecking Pedro. He's not Messi. Average player at best. Who really gives a crap, we haven't missed out on much here. Get over it ffs, honestly glad he has gone to Chelsea (if that is the case) instead of signing here. I would honestly rather Young in the front 3 than Pedro.

Roman Bellic

Prick
Because he's better than anyone they have in the front line bar Hazard? He absolutely shits on Cuadrado and is probably better than Willian as well. Chelsea's squad isn't that great though to be honest, even with Pedro. They will be lucky to finish 3rd.
Willian is a better player overall, but Pedro is a better attacker, and i don't agree with you on Chelsea finishing 3rd, they are still a top team, with 2 World Class players and a World Class keeper.

cyberman

Why should anyone tell you what's wrong when you already know he'll fail at chelsea? The fact is you think we don't need him and you think he will fail at Chelsea. I don't personally think he will. I think if you're looking for penetration on both sides Pedro is ideal. His experience, his threat and it's complete bullshit that we've pulled out unless we're after someone else. Would he have strengthened the squad? Answer is yes. Young should not be getting a new 3 year contract. Popular but not creative and won't score as many as Pedro.

You've put in Depay and Mata - but the truth is the penetrations on depays sholders as is not as direct or as quick as Pedro.
I think he'll fail because it goes against everything Jose has shown he wants from his team.
Hazard has the handbrake put on him in big games, is Jose going to give Pedro the same shirt leash? All of a sudden their midfield of Cesc / Pedro / Hazard / Oscar looks physically lightweight. Just doesn't seem like a Mourinho team to me. I wonder if this is another boardroom signing ala Salah or Cuadrado

Rich_H_1989

lost in a street fight to van gaal
By the way... I'm loving that every time I come back in to this thread the poll for Stoke slightly increases haha.

Jayvin

Willian is a better player overall, but Pedro is a better attacker, and i don't agree with you on Chelsea finishing 3rd, they are still a top team, with 2 World Class players and a World Class keeper.
Nup, City are better, United are better. Chelsea 3rd at best. Out of interest who are the world class outfield players, Hazard and...?

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
I know we haven't got off to the best start, but the team that walked the league last season will be "lucky" to finish 3rd? Come on.

Roman Bellic

Prick
I don't see how people have a problem with fans talking about a failed negotiation on a football forum, I mean are we just going to brush it aside ? It doesn't matter if it's Ronaldo or John from Crawley.

Obiorahking_

He's not, and recent history backs this. We either dropped our interest in him for whatever reason or Pedro no longer wanted to come here.
Reports said we agreed to terms with Pedro, but they were yet to agree with a fee with the club. That was my initial impression until I saw the reports of LVG pulling the plug.

Obiorahking_

Nup, City are better, United are better. Chelsea 3rd at best. Out of interest who are the world class outfield players, Hazard and...?
Hazard
Courtois
Fabregas
Matic
John Terry(fading off a bit now)
Costa
Azpilicueta

Roman Bellic

Prick
You talk about Chelsea like they didn't win the league last season, City were better in their matchup, they aren't significantly better and Chelsea are better than United, your opinion is obviously based on just 2 matchdays - why not just put Leicester in the CL while you're at it ?

Hazard and Costa, Also Fabregas on his day but he is not consistent.

Kaos

Hazard
Courtois
Fabregas
Matic
John Terry(fading off a bit now)
Costa
Azpilicueta
The bolded players are very good but not world class, we have a midfielder just as good as Fabregas, Terry is spent and Costa still has to prove himself for a second season.

Hazard and Courtois are the only really, really special players.

Jayvin

United have a better squad than Chelsea. They won the league when everyone else was struggling or rebuilding, we will finish ahead of them this season. Quote me

Hazard and Courtois are the only really, really special players.
And they're both overrated. Sanchez, Aguero, Silva, Toure are better than Hazard. Courtois isn't that great either when he is exposed. De Gea and Hart are better IMO

ghagua

We could have done with a player like Pedro on the right side of the attack. Team looks paralyzed that side of the pitch when attacking, as Mata looks out of it on that side. Opposition will now concentrate more on Memphis as he seems like a genuine threat on the left. Pedro must have spoken to the Spanish players at United and changed his mind as mentioned in some rumors.

Jayvin

We could have done with a player like Pedro on the right side of the attack. Team looks paralyzed that side of the pitch when attacking, as Mata looks out of it on that side. Opposition will now concentrate more on Memphis as he seems like a genuine threat on the left. Pedro must have spoken to the Spanish players at United and changed his mind as mentioned in some rumors.
Pfft. More like Pedro's agent spoke to Man Utd and they didn't want him because he's not better than anyone we have in the 3 behind the striker. Not good enough for United, absolutely delighted we didn't sign him

NoPace

I think Pedro not signing hurts us in the short term but will be a positive in the long term. Whether out right or as the mobile 10 LVG seems to like, Pedro would have been an upgrade this season and next. But he's small, 28 and not cheap. Would a 30 year old Pedro, in 2017-18, be starting here? Wingers - especially small ones reliant on quickness - tend to age fast.

If we had concerns about his pace like De Brun says in that tweet above, we were right not to pull the trigger (or lucky if he chose Chelsea).

I was hoping for it to happen because I think Januzaj ends up a RW and Pedro could be a stopgap until he's really ready, but this was never more than a short-term solution.

That said, we do still need a short term solution in the form of a 10 or RW. Fellaini and Chicharito are passable options at the 9 if Rooney doesn't get in form and Memphis will be out left (with Young as a defensively solid backup). Mata is another starter as a 10 or RW, but I don't think we can just can count on Januzaj to play 50 games and compete for the Prem and get back to the semis of the CL. He's still physically not ready. Herrera is there, obviously, but Van Gaal seems to want a striker in the position.

Status
Not open for further replies.