Pep on MNF special

Fridge chutney

I wasn't serious, but it's certainly an indication. Your football is quite dull (and negative, something which Mourinho has been criticized for plenty during his career). It's certainly a world away from what City and Liverpool showed this season. Result wise, it might be not that far apart because Mourinho's style is effective more often than not, but entertaiment wise - not even close.
It's a world away but Mourinho still won more in 1 season than Klopp has in 3.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
It's a world away but Mourinho still won more in 1 season than Klopp has in 3.
You're changing the discussion mate, the initial comment was that Pep's football is a thousand times more entertaining than Mourinho's and I stand by that.

I never said anything about trophies.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
He really is a genius. He develops talent by erm deciding they aren't good enough and spending fortunes on the best available in the world... in every position required....on top of an already hugely expensive and talented squad.

I particularly like the way he developed Hart and did such a good job he thought he'd do it again with Bravo and did such a good job that he had to do it again with Ederson.

I really don't understand the pep love fest. There is a common Pep theme

A) Get a team with best players in the world
B) if not best, buy best
C) Have such a dominantly strong team that any tactics would work due to the exponential benefit of having so much quality in every position
D) Take plaudits for 'tactical' genius.

Pep is a good manager, but its impossible to say any more than that because any manager with his level of spending could potentially achieve similar things.

In fact if anything he is a poor manager for doing so badly in Europe with such a well funded team.
He is a good manager. And it looks to me like he's a great motivator, which plays a large part in my opinion.

The reason he's won the league is money and motivation, no doubt.
It's fishy that he's broke records though, beating those set by a better team with a better manager. I'm dead suspicious of it considering his past.

Fridge chutney

You're changing the discussion mate, the initial comment was that Pep's football is a thousand times more entertaining than Mourinho's and I stand by that.

I never said anything about trophies.
Well, you brought LFC into it. We were absolute shite before. Not only was our style terrible but results were too. Mourinho improved us by making us more stable and won trophies in the process. Style can and will come later. Part of the problem for our fan base is that SAF was so brilliant that he set unreal expectations for us. Things take time and second on 80+ points is a big improvement from seasons prior. And at the start of the season we were actually quite good to watch and scored lots of goals. In the latter 2/3rds of the season we were not like that but results against top opposition improved. This to me shows marked progress, no matter how you slice it.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Well, you brought LFC into it. We were absolute shite before. Not only was our style terrible but results were too. Mourinho improved us by making us more stable and won trophies in the process. Style can and will come later. Part of the problem for our fan base is that SAF was so brilliant that he set unreal expectations for us. Things take time and second on 80+ points is a big improvement from seasons prior. And at the start of the season we were actually quite good to watch and scored lots of goals. In the latter 2/3rds of the season we were not like that but results against top opposition improved. This to me shows marked progress, no matter how you slice it.
Yeah you've made progress. You started out to win the league though, that was the expectation for United (especially because of Mourinho's "second season record"), so you've failed in that regard. But hey, if you're happy with it, the better for you :)

As for the bolded part, I simply don't think it will happen under Mourinho.

OldSchoolManc

Yeah you've made progress. You started out to win the league though, that was the expectation for United (especially because of Mourinho's "second season record"), so you've failed in that regard. But hey, if you're happy with it, the better for you :)

Or you hope it won’t happen. It’s all you’ve got as a weapon to beat Jose with as a Liverpool fan.
Unless Klopp pulls a miracle off vs Real, he still won’t have a pot to piss in.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Or you hope it won’t happen. It’s all you’ve got as a weapon to beat Jose with as a Liverpool fan.
Unless Klopp pulls a miracle off vs Real, he still won’t have a pot to piss in.
It wouldn't really be a miracle if we win.

And yeah, obviously that's also what I hope will happen.

red4ever 79

Put it this way. If there was one opportunity to swap Pep for Mourinho, 99% of Utd fans would snap their hands off. Mine included.

SER19

There are literally too many posts to remember when the inevitable guardiola melt down occurs.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Liverpool fans giving it the big one lately because their team is playing the best football they've seen in their lifetime, but still finishes with less points than the season before :houllier:

AlexUTD

People forget quickly the first 2 years of Pep`s reign. Was only last year they had problems in the league and no plan B when struggling. Pep know only know one way to play and if the team cannnot play his style they struggle.

Mourinho will get you results no matter what squad he inherits. He adapts to the team not the other way around. Pep needs certain type of team at his disposal, to be successful.

Fridge chutney

It must be nice to come to a United forum and gloat about how shit we are.

Obviously I'm happy that we are making progress but have been frustrated at many points during this season with some shameful performances from both manager and players.

The Bloody-Nine

It must be nice to come to a United forum and gloat about how shit we are.

Obviously I'm happy that we are making progress but have been frustrated at many points during this season with some shameful performances from both manager and players.
Which is amusing since we both beat them and finished above them.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
People forget quickly the first 2 years of Pep`s reign. Was only last year they had problems in the league and no plan B when struggling. Pep know only know one way to play and if the team cannnot play his style they struggle.

Mourinho will get you results no matter what squad he inherits. He adapts to the team not the other way around. Pep needs certain type of team at his disposal, to be successful.
on the show last night Pep say's he doesn't really have a plan B, he wants a better plan A

AlexUTD

that’s up there with some of the most ridiculous things I’ve ever read on here. It’s up there with Jose’s supposed poor European record.
Mourinho is pragmatic.

He won the champions league with Porto and Inter wich was not excatly the "favourites" in the competition, wich is a big achievement.

He plays the team he has at his disposal and brings in players to balance it and it has been successful.

Jose do not have just one way to play and he "adapts" his approach against different teams. One of the reasons of his success with Porto and Inter.

I do not find this ridiculous at all.

on the show last night Pep say's he doesn't really have a plan B, he wants a better plan A
Pep has a good plan A but sometimes you need a plan B to turn around a game or a period in the season when your team are not doing well in a match or you lack the players needed for your system cause of injuries/suspensions.

Andersons Dietician

Mourinho is pragmatic.

He won the champions league with Porto and Inter wich was not excatly the "favourites" in the competition, wich is a big achievement.

He plays the team he has at his disposal and brings in players to balance it and it has been successful.

Jose do not have just one way to play and he "adapts" his approach against different teams. One of the reasons of his success with Porto and Inter.

I do not find this ridiculous at all.

Pep has a good plan A but sometimes you need a plan B to turn around a game or a period in the season when your team are not doing well in a match or you lack the players needed for your system cause of injuries/suspensions.
Did you mean that Jose adapts to the team he has inherited or the team he is facing? The way I read it I thought you meant Jose adapts himself to the team he inherited.

If you meant the other way then sure I could agree with that he changes his tactics about for certain teams.

Skolden

Last season he didnt win anything and now he is the best ever lol...

He says they will not spend much money the next transfer windows but does anyone believe they will not buy big asap if they have a bad year?

He is a great manager but he also have the best team in the league.

Raru9

Yeah, that's why he is be working with Pogba, Baily and Matic in his firts season, players already in the team.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Which is amusing since we both beat them and finished above them.
I wasn't gloating at all but just giving my opinion, which isn't even far of what quite a few United fans on here think about Mourinho.

Congrats on the "finished above Liverpool" trophy though.

Skills

Snitch

You do know this was his 2nd year :lol:

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Did he really compare his first 2 years @ City to Fergie's beginning at Utd?

Stacks

He really is a genius. He develops talent by erm deciding they aren't good enough and spending fortunes on the best available in the world... in every position required....on top of an already hugely expensive and talented squad.

I particularly like the way he developed Hart and did such a good job he thought he'd do it again with Bravo and did such a good job that he had to do it again with Ederson.

B) if not best, buy best
C) Have such a dominantly strong team that any tactics would work due to the exponential benefit of having so much quality in every position

Pep is a good manager, but its impossible to say any more than that because any manager with his level of spending could potentially achieve similar things.

In fact if anything he is a poor manager for doing so badly in Europe with such a well funded team.
not to discredit you but you are grossly exaggerating and it makes your post seem a bit off. They actually do not have the best in the world in any position and in many cases not even top 5. Who would be a contender for a world 11 place in their starting line up? De Bruyne? You have also failed to credit the improvement of players. Sterling and Sane are rubbish for their national sides and would not "walk into any team in the world" yet have worked wonders under Josep.
A) they do not have the best players in the world, far from it
B) they have not bought the best, Stones, Sterling, Laporte, Mendy (did not feature), Danilo, Bernado Silva (a lot to prove), Walker (overated), Ederson (pretty damn good), Sane, Jesus,Gundogan, Nolito, Bravo. Very few if any are up there with the best in their positions.
C) Probably true. at least compared to the standard of the EPL. I can get down with this
D) he admitted it was money spent that was the key.

Raebareliwale

Supports
Manchester City
Ah yes, that £75m we spent on a striker because of a career ending Injury to Zlatan.

Can you imagine City's spending if Aguero got a 1-year injury...would they even win the title without Aguero? Very difficult to replace a player of that quality.
Dude, Mendy got injured as well but we utilized Delph/Zinchenko instead of buying another wingback.
And you forget the point. Money doesnt guarantees success.

Liverpool spent less money than either of Manchester clubs but have been brilliant in CL.

Badenfutbolfan

Supports
Man city
Not sure why this thread has to become Pep vs Jose, I think Pep's city this season has been great. 100 points and all the other broken records show what a great coach he is, sure he has spent lots but others have spent lots too.

For city to play the way Pep wants to they had to replace a whole lot of players and bring what he thought were the best fit for the system. not really rocket science. at the end of the day we will just remember and talk about the 100 points record and how good they played throughout the season.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.

We just finished 2 places above you in the PL...

That's an entire season of us being the superior team.

It's literally delusional for you to be talking as though you're above us as a team.

You've won nothing in Klopp's entire time there thus far, and just finished 2 places below us.

The Bloody-Nine

I wasn't gloating at all but just giving my opinion, which isn't even far of what quite a few United fans on here think about Mourinho.

Congrats on the "finished above Liverpool" trophy though.
No one said it was a trophy. Merely a fact. A very amusing fact.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
We just finished 2 places above you in the PL...

That's an entire season of us being the superior team.

It's literally delusional for you to be talking as though you're above us as a team.

You've won nothing in Klopp's entire time there thus far, and just finished 2 places below us.
Don't put words in my mouth.

The Bloody-Nine

Last season he didnt win anything and now he is the best ever lol...

He says they will not spend much money the next transfer windows but does anyone believe they will not buy big asap if they have a bad year?

He is a great manager but he also have the best team in the league.
Didn't they almost conclude a £60 million deal for Mahrez late last window?

:lol:

Mihai

Exactly. We have aging fullbackss but spent 28 million pounds on Lindelof. The board wouldn't sign off on Perisic. Although not sure he would have played as a fullback.
Jose was after Perisic with a view to switch to three at the back and play him as a left wing back imo.

Mihai

Put it this way. If there was one opportunity to swap Pep for Mourinho, 99% of Utd fans would snap their hands off. Mine included.
99%? I highly doubt that. Make a poll with this question and I can assure you it will be way more balanced than "99% would snap their hands off".

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

B) if not best, buy best

Of course it's not like he has improved Sane, Sterling, De Bruyne, Fernadhinio, Stones, Otamendi etc.

Keep clutching at straws.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Love hearing him talk you can see the love for the game come across.
Regardless of the money jibes he's a fantastic manager will be interesting to follow his career.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
He is where he because of money for sure, the tactics that he employs at that level will fail unless he has the right profile of player with the right attributes to execute them. That's the same for any manager really.