5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Kostur

海尔的老板
The fact they have barely played a handful off, if any of games together, especially in a new formation which none seems to be comfortable with, then you have the fact they have all suffered from injuries this season which has hindered their performances, or that we have had to introduce not one but two young and inexperienced players to the back line.

To say the attackers have got them out of a hole is laughable, they have been as poor if not worse than our defence and if it wasn’t for our defensive players being under so much scrutiny I’m sure this would be highlighted so much more.
Thing is though that it's not like Evans, Jones and Smalling are strangers to each other, they're playing together for what, 3 seasons now? As said, the only factor helping them is the 352 bullshit. Other than that, you've had those three players who are at our club for a long time looking like clowns again.

And yea, our attackers have been poor, absolutely agree but they still managed to bail them out, just like today, we don't score and it's a 0-1 loss after clown defending, there have been numerous matches like that.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Phil really needs to sort out his positioning. Quite a few times he was caught out, and had to make a last ditch tackle as a result. Its great that he puts his body on the line to stop the shots or make a tackle no matter what. But half the time it is his own lack of awareness and positioning that has allowed the chance in the first place.

Getsme

Thing is though that it's not like Evans, Jones and Smalling are strangers to each other, they're playing together for what, 3 seasons now? As said, the only factor helping them is the 352 bullshit. Other than that, you've had those three players who are at our club for a long time looking like clowns again.

And yea, our attackers have been poor, absolutely agree but they still managed to bail them out, just like today, we don't score and it's a 0-1 loss after clown defending, there have been numerous matches like that.
I get what you’re saying and in an ideal World that would be the case, but it’s far from it and players need time to regain match fitness and an understanding of who they are playing with, especially in a new formation. In truth, not one of Smalling, Jones or Evans have had a chance to build a solid relationship with one another, and we all know the reasons why, Injuries.

Our defence is under such pressure from outside sources at the moment and I simply find it baffling that fans who watch and follow the Club can’t look outside the box when discussing performances, especially with the injury record we have had.

As for the forwards bailing us out I could give you examples of the defence doing the same, De Gea and Young against stoke at home, McNair against West Ham, Evans against QPR, most of the defence against Everton. Defence, midfield and attack are all failing us at the moment, however, it seems like the midfield and attack are getting away with it.

Kounan

One bonehead mistake, which cost us dearly, but otherwise was ok today. Not great, as it seemed everyone had the blue flu today, but apart from his moment of dubious usefulness he wasn't as dreadful of Evans.
Because he didn't play a lot as a CB. Even under Moyes, last season he had brilliant games as DFM and FB.

dirkey

FFS he's 22 and he’s playing for one of the biggest teams in the World, according to posters he tends to go from shit to brilliant on here every few weeks . His and others mistakes are highlighted to such a level that people now wait for them to happen so they can come on here and post about it with a tint of ‘I told you so’ The same can be said for Evans, Smalling, McNair, Rojo and Blackett, it’s getting tedious now.
Very few on here seem to take aboard anything other than the one performance when talking about a player, injuries, lack of game time, formation, understanding of partners, weather, brilliance from the opposition or any other factors don’t come into it, when they should be the main talking point.

I’ve said it before but the amount of abuse our defence is getting is ridiculous, all this despite the conditions they have had to play under.
I can't speak for others, but for me, in the context of Jones, I've never thought much of him. I think he's positionally daft, he is rash, and he's going to constantly cost us goals. I don't think the formation has anything to do with it, I think he'll do it in any formation.

I hope I'm wrong, long term, but I just don't see it. It's nothing to do with wanting to come in and "I told you so". I like to come in here and discuss things, and when I see such brainless defending, I'll come in and discuss it.

The amount of abuse our defence is getting is in line with the amount of mistakes they're making. The amount of mistakes they're making is absolutely ridiculous, therefore the amount of abuse they'll get is going to be up there with it.

Acole9

Outstanding
His positioning wasn't the best at times today but he was a damn sight better than the other two at the back.

Man Utd 0:1 Southampton

jem

Strange nobody has commented on him today. I don't think he looked great (I think it was Elia he skipped around him far too easily on one play.) He's still young, but I do kind of wonder what it is we paid for with him (at least why we paid so much.)

Sweet Square

Strange nobody has commented on him today. I don't think he looked great (I think it was Elia he skipped around him far too easily on one play.) He's still young, but I do kind of wonder what it is we paid for with him (at least why we paid so much.)
Watching him reminds me of this

bugmat

He was awful - beaten all over so easily because he constantly jumps in too close and early, and his passing was a sight to behold - Shin high blasts regularly. That said he's still been better than Blackett and Evans!

Gannicus

I used to be a believer in Jones, but now I just see him as nothing more than a decent prospect as a squad man.

ZDwyr

I thought he was decent in the first half but dropped away. Got beaten a few times and his passing was probably the worst of the defenders, he gave the ball away on a few occasions.

Sylar

Hes bizarre. Hes like a lesser John O Shea but more mobile.
When playing in a three at the back, he really needs to drive forward more and be the extra man.

stevoc

He wasn't great today, i reckon mostly because he just doesn't look comfortable in a back 3 (along with everyone else). I really hoped he would have kicked on by now and started to live up to the hype of future United/England captain and the new Duncan Edwards that was swirling around when we signed him.

He's still young so he's got time but i think his biggest obstacle to becoming a top player is that he seems to be brainless in almost everything he does in a game. Just doesn't strike me as an intelligent footballer.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Just read this:

United have won 20% of PL games this season with Jones starting, compared with 72.7% without him in the starting XI.

I have no idea if it means anything, but thought it's interesting.

Loublaze

ATLien
Just read this:

United have won 20% of PL games this season with Jones starting, compared with 72.7% without him in the starting XI.

I have no idea if it means anything, but thought it's interesting.
I think we've won all but two of the games McNair has played in, and we've won all but one of the games Young has played. Doesn't mean much, or maybe it does.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
I think we've won all but two of the games McNair has played in, and we've won all but one of the games Young has played. Doesn't mean much, or maybe it does.
:confused: Young has started six games we haven't won. The opening three games plus Villa, Spurs and Stoke.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
Have been disappointed with Jones' decision making this season. Something I thought might improve under van Gaal but in my opinion has gotten worse.

Still willing to give him time, he is still very young (something many forget) but I just don't see that career that many thought he would have happening at the moment.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
Have been disappointed with Jones' decision making this season. Something I thought might improve under van Gaal but in my opinion has gotten worse.

Still willing to give him time, he is still very young (something many forget) but I just don't see that career that many thought he would have happening at the moment.
Said it here two years ago, he's a stronger version of Scott Parker

His lack of intelligence is a problem.....Same old mistakes, same old problems

For all his faults, Smalling is a more composed defender then he is

Walters_19_MuFc

Stats are pointless. Whether people like it or not, Jones was our best centre back earlier on in the season, and rightfully got player of the month. Apart from his eagerness to win the ball back, and sometimes concede a fouls, he's been fine. The lads 22, and has never had a consistent season at centre back, with a settled partner, for crying out loud. Name me any other centre back at 22 that's played RB, CDM and CM for the last three years, yet gives you great performances week in week out at centre back for their club?

Jones is a good defender. He likes to defend. Yes, he's still prone to mistakes, but what young CB isn't? Ramos and Luiz do it weekly and they get into World XI.

I just think that, providing he stays fit, he needs to have a full season as a centre back; preferably in a back four. He's shown time and time again how good he can be when he's on it, and will gain a vast amount of experience and learn from his mistakes if played there constantly.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Stats are pointless. Whether people like it or not, Jones was our best centre back earlier on in the season, and rightfully got player of the month. Apart from his eagerness to win the ball back, and sometimes concede a fouls, he's been fine. The lads 22, and has never had a consistent season at centre back, with a settled partner, for crying out loud. Name me any other centre back at 22 that's played RB, CDM and CM for the last three years, yet gives you great performances week in week out at centre back for their club?
Excellent post. We seem to be overly critical of Jones and Smalling, hopefully they'll stay fit now and actually form a partnership, something that is HUGELY important when it comes to defenders. If we were to put Jones up for sale I reckon they'll be plenty of big clubs interested.

Walters_19_MuFc

Excellent post. We seem to be overly critical of Jones and Smalling, hopefully they'll stay fit now and actually form a partnership, something that is HUGELY important when it comes to defenders. If we were to put Jones up for sale I reckon they'll be plenty of big clubs interested.
Exactly this. I've been so frustrated that they haven't been able to stay fit, especially as this was the season for them to step up and show the fans they can replace Vidic and Ferdinand. I don't doubt their ability, but if they can't say fit then unfortunately they won't have a future at the club.

Walters_19_MuFc

Give the ball away a few times (although his passing accuracy 71.2% was better than Rojo's 69.6%), but also made some good driving runs with the ball. Defensively, I felt he was good. Don't think he gave away any fouls and in general looked pretty solid.

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
Still makes some mistakes but definitely looks to be improving as a centre back this season imo.

Cambridge 0:0 Man Utd

Sam

I'd be quite happy to see him sold this summer. Take his physicality away, and he's just not a very good footballer.

Minimalist

I'm so sick of this player. I wouldn't mind if people acknowledged his limited ability but to hear this idiot get labelled a future star is just mind-boggling.

Absolutely shite tonight and really making the backline look vulnerable as hell.

Needs sold and we can do much much better.

Last edited:

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I'd be quite happy to see him sold this summer. Take his physicality away, and he's just not a very good footballer.
I agree, he looks very nervous all the time. Always having to make last ditch tackles from his own mistakes too.

dirkey

He can't handle simple passes ... and we have him taking corners. Utterly bizarre.