View full 2014-15 profile

5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

ottosec

Every time someone gets injured in training, I imagine it's after a Jones tackle.

kundalini

Not convinced by Jones at all. Not even sure he has improved since joining United. Perhaps unfortunate to have been used in a variety of roles but doesn't look a potential top central defender to me at this stage. I don't see what he is particularly good at. No better than acceptable in the air, questionable positional play, distribution ordinary, a few good tackles and interceptions. Reasonable 3rd choice perhaps.

It wouldn't bother me in the slightest if we sold him in the summer and promoted M.Keane or McNair to 2nd choice right-sided centre back. Having said that, if his financial demands are reasonable, I'd be willing to give him a few more seasons, in case he improves.

Last edited:

Moriarty

Not convinced by Jones at all. Not even sure he has improved since joining United. Perhaps unfortunate to have been used in a variety of roles but doesn't look a potential top central defender to me at this stage. I don't see what he is particularly good at. No better than acceptable in the air, questionable positional play, distribution ordinary, a few good tackles and interceptions. Reasonable 3rd choice perhaps.

It wouldn't bother me in the slightest if we sold him in the summer and promoted M.Keane or McNair to 2nd choice right-sided centre back. Having said that, if his financial demands are reasonable, I'd be willing to give him a few more seasons, in case he improves.
His face probably scares more opponents than his tackles. It's at the point now where I get nervous when I see Jones charging after an opponent anywhere near our 18-yard box. He's got a knack of losing concentration at the vital moment. He was one of the players I thought Van Gaal might sell before this season started.

Ji_Maria

Sick and tired of people rating Jones because of his physicality or getting forward. He is a defender simple as that and he is simply not good enough at the bare basic job he is being paid to do. Ball watching inside our own box what bollocks.

dirkey

he lost Shawcoss, Smalling lost Crouch too
Yep. Terrible defending. All 3 of our centre backs are showing why there will be reinforcements, most likely in the summer. Would not be remotely bothered to see any of them sold.

DevilRed

Other than the mistake he has been decent. Not sure where his ability to bomb forwards has gone, but when we had him in our first season he was a terrific right back who could carry the ball into the last third.

dirkey

Other than the mistake he has been decent. Not sure where his ability to bomb forwards has gone, but when we had him in our first season he was a terrific right back who could carry the ball into the last third.
"Other than being directly responsible, once again, for a goal, he was decent." I never really understand these kind of comments come from. Basic defending, and he can't do it. Again he was giving away needless fouls near the box too.
Totally overrated player.

Someone

Something
He's a good defender but he's dumb, some of the fouls he makes are just beyond me. he acts on impulse only.

Revan

Assumptionman
Sick and tired of people rating Jones because of his physicality or getting forward. He is a defender simple as that and he is simply not good enough at the bare basic job he is being paid to do. Ball watching inside our own box what bollocks.
He's fine. The only problems on his game are:

- being unable to read the game
- hoof the ball under pressure
- never away from making mistakes that cost goals
- making fouls in dangerous position
- at times looking brainless and
- always eager to injure himself or his teammates.

Don't count these little flaws, and he's great.

girish

I too love women...for their shoes.
Yep. Terrible defending. All 3 of our centre backs are showing why there will be reinforcements, most likely in the summer. Would not be remotely bothered to see any of them sold.
But Jones is the best player to play for us since Duncan Edwards!

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Good defender but a bit dumb. Which is expected from a 22 y.o. CB.

legball

He's very thick, it's painful. You just know he'll keep giving away silly freekicks and corners kicks, and then he does just that over and over and over again.

Kostur

海尔的老板
"Other than being directly responsible, once again, for a goal, he was decent." I never really understand these kind of comments come from. Basic defending, and he can't do it. Again he was giving away needless fouls near the box too.
Totally overrated player.
Agree bar the last sentence, don't think he's that highly rated to be fair. It's always 'bar that one mistake'. Good bar that retarded foul against Newcastle, today good bar losing his man on the corner, etc.

Brophs

The One and Only
That's no way to talk about our future best player ever.

Classical Mechanic

Rio was 24 when he joined us and came with a reputation for poor concentration. I think that Jones is a top class defender and the flaws in his game, namely rashness and concentration are two that can improve with maturity and experience. I still think that he can kick on, unlike Evans, he isn't afraid to take responsibility.

Robbie Boy

Never been convinced by him at all. I think there's a good defender in there somewhere but I have serious doubts about him.

Ace of Spades

He makes so many stupid fouls and just never learns. Good player, but don't think he will ever reach the level needed for him to be a starter for us.

Ole240599

My over-riding feeling when watching Phil Jones play football is that he doesn't think a few steps ahead. Maybe I am trying to be too polite but he doesn't seem like the brightest bear in the park.

Brophs

The One and Only
Not heard anyone call him a future England captain for a while.
I suppose we just have to hope he has the common sense to angrily shout a racial epithet at someone of another race in an attempt to discover if they were accusing him of having used that racial epithet in the first place.

That should give him the armband for a year or two at least.

Kakeru

Not heard anyone call him a future England captain for a while.
Considering that a bunch of idiots at the FA were fine with John Terry as captain. I would not be surprised if others will continue thinking the same thing.

How long we can tolerate someone who doesn't learn, I dunno. I hope he's given enough rope by now and is near hanging himself with it as the saying says.

Getsme

FFS he's 22 and he’s playing for one of the biggest teams in the World, according to posters he tends to go from shit to brilliant on here every few weeks . His and others mistakes are highlighted to such a level that people now wait for them to happen so they can come on here and post about it with a tint of ‘I told you so’ The same can be said for Evans, Smalling, McNair, Rojo and Blackett, it’s getting tedious now.
Very few on here seem to take aboard anything other than the one performance when talking about a player, injuries, lack of game time, formation, understanding of partners, weather, brilliance from the opposition or any other factors don’t come into it, when they should be the main talking point.

I’ve said it before but the amount of abuse our defence is getting is ridiculous, all this despite the conditions they have had to play under.

Bojan11

He makes so many stupid fouls and just never learns. Good player, but don't think he will ever reach the level needed for him to be a starter for us.
You can say that about Rafael and Smalling.

I'm referring about giving stupid fouls away. Jones isn't only one guilty of doing it.

OneUnited24

I have time for both Jones and Smalling as i think they will only improve. Injuries have really affected them and they need time.

Evans on the other hand....

Kostur

海尔的老板
FFS he's 22 and he’s playing for one of the biggest teams in the World, according to posters he tends to go from shit to brilliant on here every few weeks . His and others mistakes are highlighted to such a level that people now wait for them to happen so they can come on here and post about it with a tint of ‘I told you so’ The same can be said for Evans, Smalling, McNair, Rojo and Blackett, it’s getting tedious now.
Very few on here seem to take aboard anything other than the one performance when talking about a player, injuries, lack of game time, formation, understanding of partners, weather, brilliance from the opposition or any other factors don’t come into it, when they should be the main talking point.

I’ve said it before but the amount of abuse our defence is getting is ridiculous, all this despite the conditions they have had to play under.
What are the conditions though? Only thing that can be helping their case is that we're playing that 352 shit, other than that, come on. They've got one of the very best keepers behind them, if we didn't have David in goal their shitness would've been so painfully exposed they'd end up taking antidepressants. They've got Carrick in front of them who seems to be doing a lot of job for them, they're playing in a possession-based system, usually it's the teams that lock themselves for us and not the other way around so they aren't tested as much as they could be. Quite often it's our strikers that can bail them out after conceding an idiotic goal too. Not to mention that once Carrick joins their circus at the back he's the best player there because his anticipation, game reading and ball playing skills are head and shoulders above theirs.

They're just piss poor. You can't really fault anybody when it comes down to injuries, or if anybody, then it's themselves unless it's Fergie, Moyes and now LVG who tire them to death during trainings so they are injured so often.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He hasn't had a really good performance in a while. A few decent games where he wasn't troubled much but he was so much better in his first 2 years here. Looks pretty weak at times for us these days, not as quick as before, and a lot worse aerially. Still only 22 though, plenty of time to come good.

Gannicus

One bonehead mistake, which cost us dearly, but otherwise was ok today. Not great, as it seemed everyone had the blue flu today, but apart from his moment of dubious usefulness he wasn't as dreadful of Evans.

Getsme

What are the conditions though? Only thing that can be helping their case is that we're playing that 352 shit, other than that, come on. They've got one of the very best keepers behind them, if we didn't have David in goal their shitness would've been so painfully exposed they'd end up taking antidepressants. They've got Carrick in front of them who seems to be doing a lot of job for them, they're playing in a possession-based system, usually it's the teams that lock themselves for us and not the other way around so they aren't tested as much as they could be. Quite often it's our strikers that can bail them out after conceding an idiotic goal too. Not to mention that once Carrick joins their circus at the back he's the best player there because his anticipation, game reading and ball playing skills are head and shoulders above theirs.

They're just piss poor. You can't really fault anybody when it comes down to injuries, or if anybody, then it's themselves unless it's Fergie, Moyes and now LVG who tire them to death during trainings so they are injured so often.
The fact they have barely played a handful off, if any of games together, especially in a new formation which none seems to be comfortable with, then you have the fact they have all suffered from injuries this season which has hindered their performances, or that we have had to introduce not one but two young and inexperienced players to the back line.

To say the attackers have got them out of a hole is laughable, they have been as poor if not worse than our defence and if it wasn’t for our defensive players being under so much scrutiny I’m sure this would be highlighted so much more.