View full 2014-15 profile

5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

stepic

Meaningless penalty aside, he was great today. One of our best players alongside Rooney, Mata and Falcao.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Good game, glad he's getting some more minutes.
Hopefully Smalling returns next match to partner him instead of Evans

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Except for his predictable brainless moment which cost us another goal. He still needs a lot of work before he's a top class starting CB for us.
Well yes, but let's also bear in mind that this is only his third start after a layoff of about 3-4 months. It takes time to find peak rhythm and mental sharpness. Van Gaal is an expert at minimizing errors through repetitive training and automatism. Jones will only improve, as long as he can stay fit for an extended period.

Annahnomoss

Well yes, but let's also bear in mind that this is only his third start after a layoff of about 3-4 months. It takes time to find peak rhythm and mental sharpness. Van Gaal is an expert at minimizing errors through repetitive training and automatism. Jones will only improve, as long as he can stay fit for an extended period.
That is LVG in a nutshell really. He's really really repetitive for a manager which benefits people like Jones a lot. It is why I still have faith in Evans being capable of doing a job for us, not necessarily as a first team starter, but still an important job.

Sam

Played well. Made one brilliant header with the back of his head in the first half.

Then went and ruined it by giving away such a cheap penalty. Frustrating.

I hope you're right. Despite his brainfarts, constant injuries and even injuring his own teammates there is a very good player in there.

Getsme

Played well, he looked tired at the end which may have resulted in the lazy penalty kick he gave away.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Played well for the most part, but definitely loses some points for the penalty.

Devil may care

Thick as a brick but a decent performance, he really is like a live action Mr. Potato Head running around out there. If we are sticking with the back 3 none of the 3 CB's that played today did enough to keep Smalling out though IMO.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Could have taken his shots off the runs he made. Even if the rebound falls in the box, we have 2 very good strikers in there to pounce on it.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
3-0 up on Boxing Day. The penalty might be what his performance is remembered for but he can be let off on this occasion.

Sylar

Wish he would shoot or do something more decisive after running past three or four players. Its like he thinks, he will get in trouble for it, but when 3-0 after taking on three men and getting to the edge of the opposition box, stopping to pass it safely kills any chance of creating a chance.

Gannicus

Odiferous emanation of the mental kind aside, Jonesey played very well today. Of all our central defenders, he above all has taken well to a back 3.

Very interesting decision by Louis to entrust McNair with the central duty of the back 3. Has the boy even shaven once in his life?

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
Kept getting skinned, caught out of position and jumping needlessly into tackles, poor performance. Threw away our well earned clean sheet too.
Such bollocks. Played well apart from the pen.

mungy

I am a terrible poster, please ignore me
Kept getting skinned, caught out of position and jumping needlessly into tackles, poor performance. Threw away our well earned clean sheet too.
Shocking post, he played really well today.

foolsgold

First time in ages he's been running directly forward with the ball. He did it a lot in his first season, but hasn't done it so much recently. Maybe a sign that confidence is coming back?

I still have my doubts about his longer term future, but today was decent

stevoc

Phil Jones - penalty machine.

Thought he played well today, but he doesn't half have a habit of giving away stupid penalties.

Nights

Not quite sure if you were watching the same game.

Penalty brain lapse aside, was clearly the best of our CBs.

ZDwyr

Thought he did well and was praising him....and then the penalty. It was typical Jones and frustrating. He's got to cut that out of his game, it was unnecessary. He did show good stuff other than that though so I'd like to see him and Smalling get a run together.

pascell

Not quite sure if you were watching the same game.

Penalty brain lapse aside, was clearly the best of our CBs.
Personally, I thought Evans looked the most composed CB, he lead the defence well and did what was asked of him. Jones was too rash at times and got turned too easily for my liking. Think once Smalling and Rojo are back fit and on form, he'll struggle to retain his place.

Maroo

Personally, I thought Evans looked the most composed CB, he lead the defence well and did what was asked of him. Jones was too rash at times and got turned too easily for my liking. Think once Smalling and Rojo are back fit and on form, he'll struggle to retain his place.
Would rather think Evans will find it tougher to retain his place. Jones was superior at his defensive duties, got a lot of crucial headers and interceptions in. Covered for Evans/McNair when they decided to step forward too.

Trizy

Played well but is never going to be the talent we all hoped he would and might struggle if by some miracle we have all defenders fit simultaneously.
He's 22, at least wait until he's peaked to judge.

That clearing headed was world class.