Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Yeah on watching replays of the incident, you could see his foot bend. Still, it looks like he did fall onto the goal post after the ball went out. Glad to know he didn't get a head injury in the end.
Definitely turned his ankle on the replay. Which is why it's strange that Van Gaal is talking about a knee injury.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I dont have anything else to say that hasnt been said before.
But this guy is made of glass and his body is not suited to playing football.
At this age, to be getting injured without any contact, shows that his body is not built or suited for football.

Type of a guy that will slip 9 out of 10 times on a slippery pavement in winter.
Yep. He just doesnt know how to handle/manoeuvre his body.

Ekeke

I think it would be a mistake to keep him and sell Smalling.
I think it would be a big mistake to sell either.

Its not like we're going to have a million English players in the coming seasons - Carrick in his final years, Rooney hitting 30.

And the biggest question mark is whether Jones can stay fit, and Smalling has had his own fitness problems this season.

The obvious solution is to keep both of them so one is likely to be available if the other isnt fit.

Maybe they wont be the CB pairing we hoped for, but between them they can obviously, clearly fill 1 spot.

Devil may care

I think it would be a big mistake to sell either.

Its not like we're going to have a million English players in the coming seasons - Carrick in his final years, Rooney hitting 30.

And the biggest question mark is whether Jones can stay fit, and Smalling has had his own fitness problems this season.

The obvious solution is to keep both of them so one is likely to be available if the other isnt fit.

Maybe they wont be the CB pairing we hoped for, but between them they can obviously, clearly fill 1 spot.
I personally barely trust either of them fitness-wise and Jones just seems to be learning nothing as regards using his brains. I'd be fine with 2 new CB's in to compete with Smalling and Rojo. If we want an English CB then we should monitor the progression of John Stones, who I know you aren't sold on but I think will become the next top English CB.

Walters_19_MuFc

He does not deserve to start over Smalling or Rojo. Bench him.
Well Smalling, nor Rojo, have exactly that convincing since Jones got injured, but I guess they escape the criticism Jones gets.

With Jones back, it should hopefully boost up Smalling's performances, as he'll know Jones will be waiting in the wings, if his form drops.

Good to have healthy competition.

mu77

Still young, he has to cut out his rashness, brainfarts and positioning sense (not 3 minor things) but other than that he's class.

at what? i can't see class in any of our cb's. rojo is good , possibly good enough but i wouldn't say class at anything yet and he's the class of the bunch. rojo might be the only one left at the start of the season if LVG wants to compete.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
at what? i can't see class in any of our cb's. rojo is good , possibly good enough but i wouldn't say class at anything yet and he's the class of the bunch. rojo might be the only one left at the start of the season if LVG wants to compete.
Very strong, very fast, good in the air, good in the tackle, positive on the ball and wins most of his 1 vs 1, dont think Rojo is any better.

Minimalist

Rojo should be the first centre back on the teamsheet. Jones/Smalling are much of a muchness. Both have some ability, including an ability to balls things up for us.

Walters_19_MuFc

Starting today, which is a surprise, although like I said, Smalling wasn't very convincing in his absence, despite his two goals vs Burnley.

Maybe Van Gaal does prefer Jones over Smalling.

mu77

Very strong, very fast, good in the air, good in the tackle, positive on the ball and wins most of his 1 vs 1, dont think Rojo is any better.
so we are looking at mostly his physical side which is a plus. none of which measures class for a defender. those are characteristics in most cb's (well evans is a big girls blouse). the other things you mentioned are what we need across the board with all of them. rojo is better IMO and in his first season in a new league is doing ok not great.

Minimalist

so we are looking at mostly his physical side which is a plus. none of which measures class for a defender. those are characteristics in most cb's (well evans is a big girls blouse). the other things you mentioned are what we need across the board with all of them. rojo is better IMO and in his first season in a new league is doing ok not great.
Thank Christ someone has said this. This is my major issue when I hear people 'bigging' up Jones. People do realise Ryan Shawcross can do all that 'diving in' shite too?

mu77

Thank Christ someone has said this. This is my major issue when I hear people 'bigging' up Jones. People do realise Ryan Shawcross can do all that 'diving in' shite too?
wait till i walk (or wan4) on water - it's only a few inches deep but no fuc4er ever notices.

ottosec

Looks like LVG rates him highly. Every time he was fit he came straight in the team, even if the others have done well playing in his place.

Swansea 2:1 Man Utd

onlyoneunited

The guy has no brain what so ever, stupid yellow. Also for their goal, if you watch it, its actually down to his error. He is standing in no mans land doing nothing, he is supposed to be a central defender. You either close down the cross, which admittedly was difficult to do from his position or you actually defend, he did neither. He has to either take a better position from the start to stop the cross, which isn't really his role, or as a central defender he has to be in the 6 yard to penalty spot area looking to cut out whatever is coming in.

Instead he stands in no mans land doing nothing and leaves a 3 vs 2 situation in the 6 yard area. And yes Shaw should have been goal side of his man, but it should never have got to that stage to begin with.

And just oh my god, he always has to pass it backwards or an aimless hoof! WHY!!!!!

Bojan11

Supposed to be a great passer of the ball. I'd rather keep Smalling than Jones.

Last edited:

Devil may care

He had a couple of good interceptions but was overall a bit clumsy, he just doesn't inspire any confidence.

onlyoneunited

Rojo was a disaster today, yet people will go through the slightest of detail to try and scapegoat Jones - again. Pathetic!
Tell you what, go back watch their goal, and then come back and honestly tell me thats where you want your central defender to be, who also happens to be one of your tallest players on the pitch.

Walters_19_MuFc

Tell you what, go back watch their goal, and then come back and honestly tell me thats where you want your central defender to be, who also happens to be one of your tallest players on the pitch.
Tell you what, go to the Rojo thread and tell me why there's only one comment, in regards to his performance when he was poorer than Jones today, and should have most likely been tucked in a lot more for their first goal.

Also, my last post wasn't just basing off one game, Jones has been fecking scapegoated all fecking season, whilst others get off lightly. See Rojo thread. Its BS!

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
When the ball comes within 10 metres of him, either in possession or not, this is all I see inside his head.

I'm sorry, I really want him to make it here but he just doesn't have a football brain. He is one step away from doing his ACL too.

Amethyst

It's banter lads, inn't?
When the ball comes within 10 metres of him, either in possession or not, this is all I see inside his head.

I'm sorry, I really want him to make it here but he just doesn't have a football brain. He is one step away from doing his ACL too.
This is the sort of thing that Smalling (rightly) has been criticised for in the past and yet Jones isn't any better in my opinion. Also, Smalling is quicker, better in the air and is less prone to making rash decisions. Him and Rojo should be first choice.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
This is the sort of thing that Smalling (rightly) has been criticised for in the past and yet Jones isn't any better in my opinion. Also, Smalling is quicker, better in the air and is less prone to making rash decisions. Him and Rojo should be first choice.
Smalling will see a player, weigh up the option and decide accordingly, same with Evans. Obviously ability and execution then come into play which is another story. But with Jones, he will look up, see two options, one is a player in space, the other is a player with 3 defenders around him and he will dink him a ball.

He has the tools but he just isn't getting smarter. He is young (I think a lot forget just how young he is) and I'll give him time but sadly my patience is running out.

Tompo

I agree, sad to say that it's got to the stage with him that pretty much everything he does puts me on edge.

Blasting the ball into touch, giving away pointless freekicks when the player is going nowhere, rashly diving into challenges, hoofing the ball forward or nearly worse constantly playing it back to put us under pressure, oh I don't know sadly the guy seems to be completely clueless as a footballer.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
Scott Parker

I'd struggle to trust the guy to tell me the right time of day, let alone be a defender for Manchester United

Prefer Smalling....And that ain't saying much

Last edited: