5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Amethyst

It's banter lads, inn't?
He had some good last minute tackles/blocks but he still has too many errors in him. I don't think his style works well with Rojo either, Smalling should play instead.

Stadjer

I thought he wasn't bad. He still very young for a defender and if he stays fit (and if he gets a little bit smarter while playing football by getting more experience) he can become a very good centre back.

Buying a top class centreback would be prefered but i think we should keep Jones around. Just get rid of Evans.

Walters_19_MuFc

Nothing wrong with Jones's performance today. Yes, he was often dragged out of position into the wide areas, as was Rojo, but that was due the incredible movement of Sakho and Valencia. I actually thought he grew into the game as it went on.

I've always said it though, Jones, as with Rojo, need centre backs next to them who will sweep, because they're front foot defenders.

mu77

not his biggest fan but he did ok. needs to figure out a few things and use his head , both literally (chest , really? , not on phil) , figuratively.

soap

Directionless weirdo who like booze and ganja
He's not been nearly as bad as some people on here make out. I won't deny his passing is shit, that horrible ball he made in the 1st half after doing well to dribble it out sticks in my mind. Weird player.

LR7

I thought he was fine. I like him and Rojo together.

ZDwyr

I actually thought he was decent but he was reckless on the goal which ultimately cost us. There were other times where he was a bit all over the place too. Typical Jones game.

He was at his brainless best today... So mostly good but with a sprinkling of wtf is he doing moments. Rojo had to clear up after him far too many times for my liking when he got himself caught up the pitch.

A top striker will also soon cotton on to the show it to the RB then dribble inside move he does every single time without fail.

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
The goal was mostly his fault imo, other than that he was okay. I feel like I'm always saying "other than that" with him though. I agree with the people that think him and Rojo aren't suited as a partnership.

Getsme

Good game, could have done better for the goal but it was a stupid free kick to give away that led to the goal.

jojose

I just think he's dreadful.

I fear the worse everytime i see him play centre back. How many more times does he have to run 10 yards out of position to head a ball which isnt his to win. He does it so often and nearly always presents the opposition with a chance, either directly or through on ensuing free kick which he gives away.

You cant fault his commitment and endevour. But we should have more than commitment and endevour.

I have never rated him, i dont see him as a top level centre back and the most worrying thing is.......i dont see the slightest bit of improvement in his ability to defend, read the game or make decisions.

Kakeru

I just think he's dreadful.

I fear the worse everytime i see him play centre back. How many more times does he have to run 10 yards out of position to head a ball which isnt his to win. He does it so often and nearly always presents the opposition with a chance, either directly or through on ensuing free kick which he gives away.

You cant fault his commitment and endevour. But we should have more than commitment and endevour.

I have never rated him, i dont see him as a top level centre back and the most worrying thing is.......i dont see the slightest bit of improvement in his ability to defend, read the game or make decisions.
This.

I wish someone in the coaching staff can tell straight into Jones' face that he can shove his commitment and endeavour up where the sun doesn't shine if he doesn't grow any brains at all, of which the odds are standing next to (if not straight on) nil.

mufcwarm92

I thought he was pretty decent at West Ham. He made several crucial interceptions when the rest of the defence went walkabout.

matt23

He's definitely got a a mistake or 2 in him, but there are very few CB's in the Premier League who put in 100% flawless performances week in week out.

Probably a hangover from last season - the spotlight is on our defenders and we're making too much out of the odd chance given away I think. In a 90 minute football match against decent strikers the odds are against defenders, it's what makes football great to watch at the end of the day. Even Kompany looks more shakey than both Rojo and Jones lately and we all know he'll pick it up and average out another top season.

I still think we need a leader back there and Jones on the bench for Hummels would probably be about right, but If our attackers had anything about them yesterday nobody would be talking about Phil Jones' performance.

imperi

I missed the first 5 min, so also his injury. Was it bad? and what kind of injury was it?

Stadjer

So how long has he actually been fit inbetween injuries this time?

I still have hopes for him. He's still very young for a defender and quite capable at his young age... however he does need to stay fit and thats become quite a big problem.

Last edited:

dirkey

Impressive performance from Jones. 5 minutes played, 2 mistakes and an injury.