View full 2014-15 profile

5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Walters_19_MuFc

He's really stepped up in so far this season. Hope it can continue. Ideally, I'd still like an experienced player to talk to him and keep him in check, but his performances have been promising, in my opinion.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Has been phenomenal this season. Has held the back like Vidic at times. It's very promising stuff seeing as this is something we can build off, unlike the previous few seasons where we looked like losing every game due to our defence. Now we look more likely to hold down a clean sheet and scrape a goal or two. It's absolutely crazy to think Jones is only 22.

NessunDorma

Liking the look of him at the moment. Got a real 'Over my dead body!' attitude to defending. And all them faces he pulls? That's just him conveying the mixture of terror and defiance the thought of conceding goals so clearly fills him with.

Really liked the look of him in 2011/12 as well, especially in the first months of the season, with those bursting runs forward and last ditch tackles.

Injuries and being played out of position in a struggling side haven't done him any favours over the last two years.

But he's young, and could yet turn out to fulfil the potential that saw both Wenger and Ferguson want to sign him.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
A good performance from him, he is improving in my opinion and starting to look more composed both with the ball and in the tackle.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I still don't understand what everyone sees in him. He appears to be an average defender that makes up for his shortcomings in enthusiasm...

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
Has been phenomenal this season. Has held the back like Vidic at times. It's very promising stuff seeing as this is something we can build off, unlike the previous few seasons where we looked like losing every game due to our defence. Now we look more likely to hold down a clean sheet and scrape a goal or two. It's absolutely crazy to think Jones is only 22.
Woah there Captain Hyperbole. Phenomenal? Held the back like Vidic? :lol:

He's been what he always is, a bit of a clumsy oaf with the occasion game that is suited to his bull in a china shop style of play.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

He's been what he always is, a bit of a clumsy oaf with the occasion game that is suited to his bull in a china shop style of play.
Ok, my bad. He's improved, a lot

Jaapster

Woah there Captain Hypercritical . Clumsy Oaf? bull in a china shop ?:lol:

I couldn't resist it :lol:
I just think we are seeing the reason why we bought him, To play Centre Half not right back or midfield
Of all our players he is the one that has upped his game this year.

Anderson15

Just want to say amongst all the transfers and excitement over the past few days, our phil has really impressed me so far this season playing in his natural position, love the way he was yelling at the rest of the defence last game when they were being sloppy, honestly think he can go as far as he wants in terms of becoming a world class defender, still only 22.

Walters_19_MuFc

Just want to say amongst all the transfers and excitement over the past few days, our phil has really impressed me so far this season playing in his natural position, love the way he was yelling at the rest of the defence last game when they were being sloppy, honestly think he can go as far as he wants in terms of becoming a world class defender, still only 22.
This. Love Phil Jones. Hope he continues to get constant games in his preferred position and continues to improve. Been very impressed with him so far this season.

Warriner

He spent a lot of the game having to come to the rescue for the mistakes other players made around him. Exactly why I think he is our best defender.

Lou-is Red

The fact Jones can make up for his and others bad positional defending is great asset. He wont have to rely on it as much as he gets older because he should pick up good positions with experience, our best player so far!

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Has been very impressive so far this season. I shall start referring to him as 'One'.

#SmallingPlusOne

thepolice123

He is not going to be a Rio for us but his positional sense will get better as he gets older. Right now he's already starting to display leadership qualities of a seasoned defender. He's going to be fantastic for us.

Maroo

Really impressed with how he has stepped up this season. Love his last minute tackles and interceptions; they have become so crucial for us already.

However, I have my doubts about his ability to play the in the middle of a back 3. The middle CB in the back 3 needs to be able to step up, carry the ball and pass it very well- which so far all of Jones, Smalling and Evans have failed at. What was also interesting to see was that LVG preferred Jones as the center of the middle 3 over Evans; I would have thought Evans would be preferred there for 1) his ability to pass the ball 2) Jones' ability to play right back. However, it was Evans playing at the right of a back 3; which possibly shows LVG trusting Jones more with the ball and/or as a leader

DeMono

He is going to be the real for us. Has been excellent so far for England, he has that presence of a Centre back. Not giving one inch of space for the opponent to take advantage.I just hope he doesn't get injured.

He can be England's best centre back, and most importantly Man utd's best centre back.

izec

was always the case, not just this season. If he stays injury free and gets a run of games at CB, easily the best centre back at the club.

ThanksBoss26

The only position he has the ability to become top class is centre half in my opinion. Barring an absolute emergency, I hope we resist any temptation to use him as a utility man this season. Now's the time for his development to be solely in central defence and hopefully we will then see the rewards.

humdinger

was always the case, not just this season. If he stays injury free and gets a run of games at CB, easily the best centre back at the club.
I also think he already is the best centre back at the club to be honest. Not slagging off the others but I've always been a big fan of jones.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Got skinned by King which could have cost a goal. Otherwise fine.
No what could've cost us a goal was Cahill passing it to King in the first place!

Hed Zitin

Got skinned by King which could have cost a goal. Otherwise fine.
No thanks to Cahill and every CB struggles with those because they know the other player is waiting for the slightest chance to go over. You could see how compact he made himself when making the challenge to reduce the risk.

I thought he had a fine game.

Robbie Boy

The only position he has the ability to become top class is centre half in my opinion. Barring an absolute emergency, I hope we resist any temptation to use him as a utility man this season. Now's the time for his development to be solely in central defence and hopefully we will then see the rewards.
Surely that's a commonly held opinion?

FromTheBench

No thanks to Cahill and every CB struggles with those because they know the other player is waiting for the slightest chance to go over. You could see how compact he made himself when making the challenge to reduce the risk.

I thought he had a fine game.
Yeah, exactly. He should have maybe been more fleet footed/decisive and shepherded him more but he reduced the angle well and didn't dive in for a silly tackle and probable Penalty which he usually did more before. He was thinking of it and then let him go instead on the narrow angle which though not ideal wasn't bad considering the pace at which he was coming and Harts position.

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
Am honestly not following the narrative that he's comfortable on the ball and is now a commanding centre half. I've yet to see ANYTHING in Jones' locker that makes me understand why he was rated so highly at Blackburn. He has a poor first touch, his passing is erratic at best and he is reckless at times when cooler heads would prevail. Every time I see him travelling with the ball my internal monologue is shouting "GET RID" because I know that a heavy touch is likely just around the corner or he'll try to hit a team mate and instead pass it straight to the opposition. All that's happening at the minute is that Smalling is even worse and is taking attention away from him.

The one game in his entire United career that I've been impressed with him was vs Real Madrid at the Bernabeu and he man-marked Ronnie out of the game. Any other time he has been meh or dross.

Annahnomoss

Am honestly not following the narrative that he's comfortable on the ball and is now a commanding centre half. I've yet to see ANYTHING in Jones' locker that makes me understand why he was rated so highly at Blackburn. He has a poor first touch, his passing is erratic at best and he is reckless at times when cooler heads would prevail. Every time I see him travelling with the ball my internal monologue is shouting "GET RID" because I know that a heavy touch is likely just around the corner or he'll try to hit a team mate and instead pass it straight to the opposition. All that's happening at the minute is that Smalling is even worse and is taking attention away from him.

The one game in his entire United career that I've been impressed with him was vs Real Madrid at the Bernabeu and he man-marked Ronnie out of the game. Any other time he has been meh or dross.
Really just a label he carries with him since the start at United. The guy averaged 88.3% in accurate passes last year and he was played plenty in the midfield and as a full back as well.

Higher than Evans and Smalling as well as Kompany last year. This year has has greatly improved stats in terms of passing accuracy, tackling, long balls.

goin4glory

He has a heavy touch when playing in CM. For a CB his ability on the ball is very good. It hasn't shown thus far in a 3-5-2 due to Cleverly/Fletcher rarely offering for the ball and the defence needing to go long as a result but that should change when Herrera returns or Blind is in the side.

To say he's had 1 good game is a bit mental btw he had several excellent games when we won the 20th title.

Patchbeard

Hopefully he'll never play RB every again, but I remember those marauding runs down the line that show more ability on the ball than most CBs. Being really composed on the ball is not his strength, it was more his ability to change the pace quickly with his movement that sometimes made him a success running down the line, but it still involved some pretty decent ball control. Playing in the centre it's more congested and we don't get to see this so often (probably a good thing incase he loses the ball in that area...), but his ability on the ball is definitely underrated.