Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Excellent yesterday. I still think Smalling needs to play somewhere. Jones' form is brill, and I'd start Smalling with him as I just feel we need an aerially dominant centre half. Watching yesterday I think that was the only small issue we had defensively, Jones isn't the tallest and Bailly is frankly ooor in the air. Both are better on the ball than Smalling, and in terms of pure defending, not much between the three for me. It's just that in the PL, it's important to have that strength in the air back there.

InfiniteBoredom

Excellent yesterday. I still think Smalling needs to play somewhere. Jones' form is brill, and I'd start Smalling with him as I just feel we need an aerially dominant centre half. Watching yesterday I think that was the only small issue we had defensively, Jones isn't the tallest and Bailly is frankly ooor in the air. Both are better on the ball than Smalling, and in terms of pure defending, not much between the three for me. It's just that in the PL, it's important to have that strength in the air back there.
Not at the expense of the build up.

Smalling's inconsistency with the ball hampers the quality of our football severely. Once in a while he will have a good game when everything come off smoothly, but more often than not he'll make bad passes under pressure, take a touch or two too many to bring the ball under control and get himself in trouble etc.. Having two assured, comfortable CBs who can be counted on to find a teammate when being pressed is crucial to maintaining control in a game when we are attacking, or alleviating defensive responsibility on the midfield players in a tight game.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Not at the expense of the build up.

Smalling's inconsistency with the ball hampers the quality of our football severely. Once in a while he will have a good game when everything come off smoothly, but more often than not he'll make bad passes under pressure, take a touch or two too many to bring the ball under control and get himself in trouble etc.. Having two assured, comfortable CBs who can be counted on to find a teammate when being pressed is crucial to maintaining control in a game when we are attacking, or alleviating defensive responsibility on the midfield players in a tight game.
Hmm, perhaps.

The type of game where the aerial thing is more of an issue will likely bypass much of the midfield play. I don't trust them to stand up to an aerial bombardment. Having good build up from the back is good and important, but I don't think it's more important than having variety. Building up and control is all the same one thing, but in a game where it isn't working, we will need to win a different way.

I just think we will be better off having a midfield that can really play and a defence that can dominate in the air as opposed to having a midfield that can play and a defence that can play. I think it just makes us more untouchable. Just like how it has long been said you have to win the physical battle against the likes of Stoke before you get to play your football. If a team can't outpass us nor bully us in the air, I think we will probably be better for it.

SirAF

Ageist
Bailly is our best CB, by some distance :eek:

wythyred

Jones is brilliant we have all seen him when he gets some form and momentum have these world class games.

However he will not stay fit and can't be relied on.. I hope I'm wrong but it's inevitable he will injure himself at some point.

InfiniteBoredom

Hmm, perhaps.

The type of game where the aerial thing is more of an issue will likely bypass much of the midfield play. I don't trust them to stand up to an aerial bombardment. Having good build up from the back is good and important, but I don't think it's more important than having variety. Building up and control is all the same one thing, but in a game where it isn't working, we will need to win a different way.

I just think we will be better off having a midfield that can really play and a defence that can dominate in the air as opposed to having a midfield that can play and a defence that can play. I think it just makes us more untouchable. Just like how it has long been said you have to win the physical battle against the likes of Stoke before you get to play your football. If a team can't outpass us nor bully us in the air, I think we will probably be better for it.
I don't think there are even that many old school physical team in the PL at the moment. You look at that Stoke team yesterday and they can hardly be called physical. Swansea had that free header into our box, but it was as much an issue letting the cross come in in the first place. Anyhow, our team is packed full of tall strong physical players so I doubt we will get outmuscled at any point this season.

Smalling will get his share of game time, since it'll be a miracle if any of our CB make it through a whole season unscathed, but until and unless he improves his ball skill so it at least won't be an issue to our build up, he shouldn't be picked ahead of a fit Jones, Bailly and Rojo.

TehRed

Bossed it, again. He's doing everything well right now, and seems to be developing a good understanding with Bailly. Just stay fit, Phil. Please stay fit.

Maccataq

I have to say, I was ready to see the back of Jones, not because of his ability but because of his injury proneness. So far, he's looked excellent this season and I really hope he can stay fit because he can be an exceptional player for us. Jose can get the best out of him and Fergie didn't single him out as one of the best players before he left for no reason.

I think once Rojo is fit again and once Lindelof has settled in we could see Smalling make way. I'm not convinced we'll let him go just yet with our defensive injury record in recent years.

Loublaze

ATLien
Bailly is our best CB, by some distance :eek:
I agree. He's the only CB we have who I think will be genuinely world class. Jones is doing very well so far. I have to agree with @Rozay about Jones and Bailly handling aerial threats. Swansea were all over us in this respect yesterday. I was surprised Smalling wasn't introduced later on when Swansea turned the heat up

SirAF

Ageist
I agree. He's the only CB we have who I think will be genuinely world class. Jones is doing very well so far. I have to agree with @Rozay about Jones and Bailly handling aerial threats. Swansea were all over us in this respect yesterday. I was surprised Smalling wasn't introduced later on when Swansea turned the heat up
:devil:

ash_86

HE reads the way quite well. He needs to improve his heading ability though

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He really got an unfair reputation over the last few years of not being a very good player since he's been out and didn't have a chance to prove otherwise. Reality is he's quality when fit, but always injured. Same case as always this season - IF he stays fit, then he is no doubt Bailly's partner at the back. Still, surprised by his start to the season, hopefully he keeps it up.

AlecHDR

Angry, incoherent heterosexual slob
I was advocating selling him this summer. He is a better CB overall than Smalling but his injuries are so frustrating. Let's hope he can stay fit this season and compete for one of the CB spots. We have excellent choices there now and Rojo still to come back.

Prodigal7

It boggles the mind how anyone could be even remotely hopefull for a Smalling-Jones partnership based on the last 5 years of watching them play. I'm hoping for a Bailey Lindelof partnership as soon as Lindelof settles in. Jones has done ok though in the last 2 games.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Loving Jill Phones so far this season, really hope the inevitable injury is held off until at least December

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
It boggles the mind how anyone could be even remotely hopefull for a Smalling-Jones partnership based on the last 5 years of watching them play. I'm hoping for a Bailey Lindelof partnership as soon as Lindelof settles in. Jones has done ok though in the last 2 games.
Just as mind-boggling on you deciding, based on what we've seen, that Bailly and Lindelof is the way to go.

Bestietom

I must say he has been rock solid so far this season...If he can steer clear of injuries, he could play a big part for us this season..

The very best of luck to you Jonesy, and hope you have an injury free season, and you could make it to the world cup with England

Dyslexic Untied

Provided that what is quoted there is true, there are not a lot of things I dislike more than a lucky, privileged, spoiled and rich footballers ripping into others because they have a certain job. It is one of the most ungrateful and arrogant things I can think of coming out of a player. Seem to remember Pique doing the same to someone some years ago and it just is total c.ntishness.

FujiVice

Seeing Phil Jones darting forward is a sight I feel I havent seen in years. Hope he stays fit.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Love his barn storming runs forward. If he's fit he's up there with the best in the league.

InfiniteBoredom

Really like his marauding run to bring the ball upfield but hope it won't backfire with Vardy's pace.

Solid so far but we havent had much to do tbh. Leicester's best chance was a floated corner into our box that De Gea catched quite easily.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Bailly was basically one man defence today and Jones is getting the praise?

Status
Not open for further replies.