Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

iKnowNothing

Jones was good today and indeed in the couple of PL matches this season. I wonder if having someone like Matic shielding the CBs is helping to a great degree.
Remember the time when Smalling was a beast for almost a season largely because we played defensive boring shite day in day out? Only now we're playing good football and have Matic in mid field.

Sylar

I wonder if having someone like Matic shielding the CBs is helping to a great degree.
We didnt have Matic last season and I thought Jones was just as good last season.
Another good game from him. The problem is were always going to say the same thing;
"Hope he stays fit".

InfiniteBoredom

Is there really more of a chance of Smalling injuring him during training for England than for United?
Isn't it the other way around?

The two of them picked up a lot of injuries on international duty though. It's unfortunate but we can't force them to quit playing for England.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Isn't it the other way around?

The two of them picked up a lot of injuries on international duty though. It's unfortunate but we can't force them to quit playing for England.
Not last season it wasn't anyway. Smalling broke Jones' toe or whatever injury he got. I was more just poking fun at it anyway because it was Smalling that injured him so he doesn't even need to go with England for it to happen.

InfiniteBoredom

Not last season it wasn't anyway. Smalling broke Jones' toe or whatever injury he got. I was more just poking fun at it anyway because it was Smalling that injured him so he doesn't even need to go with England for it to happen.
I remember Jones giving Rooney that gash in 13-14 and injured Smalling on international duty in 15-16.

Anyway, hope those two finally get a break. I always rate Jones much higher but it'd be a shame for them both if their career continue to be blighted by injuries.

Ace of Spades

If he was not so injury prone, he would be considered one of best in the world by now.

Still, been a great start for him, hope to see much more of him. I think he should be limited to one game a week.

limerickcitykid

I remember Jones giving Rooney that gash in 13-14 and injured Smalling on international duty in 15-16.

Anyway, hope those two finally get a break. I always rate Jones much higher but it'd be a shame for them both if their career continue to be blighted by injuries.
:lol: Maybe last season was Smalling just getting him back then. England need some better protocols to keep them apart.

Eriku

I love the way he perfectly times and executes his interceptions from behind. Still carrying some hope for Jones to turn into a reliable monster.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
If I'm Jones, I'd take a couple of years off international duty to concentrate on coming through a couple of full seasons with the club to get some stability before stretching it physically.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Injuries and the club trying to turn him into a utility player has hurt his progression. He's still young and got a chance to establish himself as the first choice.

De Gea has been practically redundant over the last 2 games.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
I think it's you. I saw him slimming from last season. Look fitter & sharper. He's always that broad build
I agree - he was always a bulky dude but he looks lighter than before. Whatever he did in his regimen - long may the positive effects last. I'm absolutely thrilled for the lad that he s making such a positive impact considering all the injuries. If he stays fit and playing the way he does then I think his positive impact on what looks to be a good season can't be understated. Perhap it's because Phil reminds me of the good old days, especially our 20th title - United wouldn't be United anymore without players like him who simplh fight for every ball.

Mike09

He was my MOTM today. Dealt with Swansea's counter attack very well and was able to kept the 1-0 score until Lukaku started with the killing goal.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Please stay fit please stay fit please stay fit please stay fit please stay fit please stay fit

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
On a less sarcastic note, could we ban him from participating in international games? I would hate for him to get injured again
And training too, while we're at it.
Probably best to stop him from leaving his bedroom until game day.

Paul_Scholes18

Think the general consensus on here of Bailly is way off and he isn't easily our best CB at all and isn't the best at all for me. It isn't Bailly +1 like so many say. Bailly is just another good CB in a pretty good group we got. He has his strengths and weaknesses just like the rest. We've got a damn good set of CBs imo.
People always like to overstate the current views. People here tended to claim that Rojo was shit and then suddenly it turned when he played a bit better. Just human nature I get. Jones big problems has been his injuries no doubt, but hopefully he can put that behind him.

limerickcitykid

People always like to overstate the current views. People here tended to claim that Rojo was shit and then suddenly it turned when he played a bit better. Just human nature I get. Jones big problems has been his injuries no doubt, but hopefully he can put that behind him.
Tbf Rojo is genuinely a pretty awful LB which I'll admit probably clouded my judgement quite a bit. He definitely changed my opinion last season though as he was fantastic at CB.

I think its just new signing syndrome. If a new signing is in any way decent he becomes ridiculously hyped and better than everyone else at the club even though those at the club are also good.

AP88

Supports
Man City
Another excellent performance and overall my MOTM
Agree. Some of his interceptions and reading of the game were so masterful, they almost went under the radar.

Who would have thought the words 'steady' and 'solid' would epitomise Phil Jones performances? Credit to Mourinho, he's clearly rebooted his mentality as a defender, and this new refined, calculated version is what I imagine Sir Alex envisioned in 2011.

I keep going back to Capello's Baresi comparisons, and similarly he was initially seen as a utility man for the Italian national team, shoehorned into midfield because Scirea was the designated Libero; Baresi eventually refused call ups, insisting he was available as a defender, or not at all. Ironically, Phil expressed his bemusement at being selected in the midfield against Italy a few years back.

Best English centreback since the era of King, Terry, Ferdinand, Woodgate ect.

parkthebuslads

Personally I'd say this has been his best run of games since joining the cub, he's looked very good.

Nanotron

It seems bailly brings out the best of whoever plays alongside him. Rojo and jones both look brilliant with him.

Sparky Rhiwabon

I read that since Jose took over, he has started him every PL game bar one where he has been available (the one exception being the middle of three games close together at Xmas). Not sure if this is correct but if so it seems that Jose is a Phil Phan.

RedCurry

He's just a great defender when he's fit but there's almost a sense of inevitability that he'll be setback with another fitness issue soon. Then it's back to Smalling and Bailly who are good defenders individually but perhaps our worst centre back partnership when they play together.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Waiting for the inevitable injury that will leave him absent for about 3 months. Hoping this doesn't happen to the lad, obviously, but there's always an inevitability when it comes to Jones.

Been great these last two games.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Promising start and I really hope he keeps fit and maintains the momentum. He also had a period of 10 games or so mid-way last season where he looked excellent before unfortunately and predictably succumbing to injury again. It would do him a world of good if he can maintain the momentum and have a relatively injury-free season.

Nakhon Phanom

Phil was my MOM yesterday.Lets just hope he can stay fit and have a decent season.

DannyDee

Truly looking like a great player. I pray his run of injuries is a thing of the past. He has a chance to be a dominant CB for us and the national team. Just a shame, I have little faith in him playing more than 5 games in a row without ending up out for a month with an injury.

I know Giggs had his issues mid-career than rebounded back and was able to stay healthy, are there any other good examples of this? I don't think Jones has ever had the structural damage that these guys had, but I can't help but think of guys like Metzelder, Woodgate and Ledley King. All guys who had the potential to be world class (or close to), and had great seasons when they had their one or two healthy seasons, but could rarely play more than 20 league games. Not trying to be negative, would just love a positive example or two, although I know those guys are most likely outliers.

Status
Not open for further replies.