Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
I don't understand why some people seem to think he's only just become good.

He was superb in the first season or two for us, SAF would even use him as an anchored defensive midfielder. Anyone remember the night he looked after Ronaldo at the Bernebeau?

Love him, hope he stays fit.
Just kept him to the 1 goal as I remember.

I kid, he was very good that night.

suheilsworld

How the hell is he only 25?
Shit! Completely forget how young he is. If just he can get over his injury concerns, he has a long and fruitful career ahead with us. Should be looking at 8-10 years, provided he stays fit. Talent is there for everyone to see and we all know he can nurture into a more mature CB

InfiniteBoredom

Shit! Completely forget how young he is. If just he can get over his injury concerns, he has a long and fruitful career ahead with us. Should be looking at 8-10 years, provided he stays fit. Talent is there for everyone to see and we all know he can nurture into a more mature CB
He's 3-4 years away from getting a testimonial with us :lol:

It's really a fecking shame about his injuries, could have been an undisputed world class CB by now. Well, here's hoping that still happens.

barmyarmy

If he stays injury free we have a brilliant CB pairing of him and Bailly.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
His anticipation from half when we are attacking is spot on. Not too rash but aggressive.

I thought he was MOTM. Did he get skinned at the end? I can't recall.

dogwithabone

He's playing really well, as is Bailly. Haven't seen the England squad but is he in it ? If he's not then Southgate clearly not selecting players on form because Jones has been near faultless so far this season.

POF

I didn't think we'd ever see a Jones/Bailly partnership. It just didn't seem a good fit as both can be impetuous and lack aerial ability.

But Jones has shown much more maturity this season and is looking a much more composed defender. Apart from his comical clash with Pogba in the West Ham game he has been very controlled. He is growing into a real leader at the back.

DannyDee

He's playing at a world class level. The potential has always been there, it's just a shame he can't stay healthy. I really hope this is the year that trend ends. I really don't want him to go down with the Metzelders, Woodgate and King's of the world.

Ashley R1+O

Hats off to him, he's been superb. The perfect foil for Bailly to put his body on the line and read the game.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
We have excellent CB's in Bailly, Jones, Rojo, Smalling and even Tuanzebe. Whilst Blind does his job always when he is called up in a crisis too. Really lucky with that, thats why I thought Lindelof was quite unneccesary but still hope he gets his form and proves why Mourinho bought him, in the coming years.

InfiniteBoredom

We have excellent CB's in Bailly, Jones, Rojo, Smalling and even Tuanzebe. Whilst Blind does his job always when he is called up in a crisis too. Really lucky with that, thats why I thought Lindelof was quite unneccesary but still hope he gets his form and proves why Mourinho bought him, in the coming years.
I don't think Smalling is in Mourinho's long term plan. He used Bailly Blind was it at the very start of last season and Rojo-Jones during the Christmas period. It's clear he looks for ball playing skill from his centre halves.

Anyhow, with Blind now playing on the left it's 5 senior CBs and Tuanzabe for a 50+ games season. Bailly will miss 2 months of our busiest schedule every other year as well so there's game time for everybody.

Lemansky

I don't think Smalling is in Mourinho's long term plan. He used Bailly Blind was it at the very start of last season and Rojo-Jones during the Christmas period. It's clear he looks for ball playing skill from his centre halves.

Anyhow, with Blind now playing on the left it's 5 senior CBs and Tuanzabe for a 50+ games season. Bailly will miss 2 months of our busiest schedule every other year as well so there's game time for everybody.
Bailly won't miss 2 months of our busiest schedule though. That competition is moved to the summer.

Lemansky

Ah good news then. However there are injury concerns with at least 3 of them so buying Lindelof wasn't unnecessary. Always be safe than sorry.
I agree. I think it's very good that Lindelof is slowly introduced to the league. Competition and depth at CB is vital for our chances this year.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Since Mou took over, Jones has been a part of our 2 most impressive CB partnerships. Surely that is a good indicator of how good he has been

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Best player yesterday. His speed and physical strength is excellent and so far he has always been there to bail us out

ZAGREB RED

If PJ can stay fit, even if it means Lindelof can't get a place, this guy is a great defender and more than useful on the ball so it's almost like a new signing. Obviously the big question mark is over his fitness so hopefully he can stay fit and if so, he will probably be an almost automatic choice at CB with Bailly.
Lindelof looks to have a battle on already even for a starting spot with Jones resurgence. Competition for places is never a bad thing though.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)

Smalling was in poor form last season but I dont think you have any grounds to think that. He has been excellent since late kast season, and Mou likes excelling defenders

InfiniteBoredom

Smalling was in poor form last season but I dont think you have any grounds to think that. He has been excellent since late kast season, and Mou likes excelling defenders
I look at all defenders who excelled under him and don't think there's any as poor on the ball as Smalling, the closest is probably Cahill, who was solid but hardly a roaring success.

It could come down to who is in the better form, but on the whole of Mourinho's tenure here so far there's very little to prove that he follows the Caf's template of a destroyer and a ball player in defense. If anything, he likes both his CBs to be fast, strong, aggressive and comfortable with the ball.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
He's doing very well. Jose and his staff are miracle workers if they can keep him fit for most of a full season.

lysglimt

Scout
His anticipation from half when we are attacking is spot on. Not too rash but aggressive.

I thought he was MOTM. Did he get skinned at the end? I can't recall.
Yeah...Mahrez..But noone stops him when he has his day. Jones is our best central defendet

Giggsy92

MOTM for me yesterday, had to do a lot of covering for Blind. Just hoping he comes through the international break unscathed.

CG1010

I have consistently held Jones is a world class defender and people wanting to let him go at age of 25 is absolutely ridiculous! He has ample time to become a United legend still.

I see Mourinho selling Smalling next window. The plan with Lindelof is likely to be to slowly introduce him to first team through CL, league cup. He is supposed to be good on the ball so will occupy a unique position. At the end, it will be Bailly, Jones, Rojo and Lindelof fighting it out. Jones mainly needs to injury free to compete.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Flawless today, didn't let anything go through. His partnership with Bailly has a lot of potential, they seem to complement each other so well.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
I should know better, but I'm once again starting to hope he'll stay fit. He's so, so good when allowed a run in the side.

kotha

Hopefully just precautionary and Mourinho doesn't want to risk sending him to England's camp.. Is Smalling selected??

ti vu

Think we'll pull him out the squad.
Just selfish thought as United fan, but Jones should retire from international football. Playing regular football he is injured enough... What is the point of having few qualifier and friendly games just to miss the tournament while hampering the club career.

ThanksBoss26

Just read on twitter he missed some training this week and was a doubt for yesterday but pushed himself into playing.

Hopefully we'll pull him out the England squad a.s.a.p.

el3mel

Yeah should be pulled from England squad and spend these 2 weeks recovering. International football can feck off tbh.

If he gets injured it'll be the same as last seasons all over again.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
No way Jones should be going away with England if he's having to be managed that carefully. Sounds like he's walking a tightrope.

The last time he went away with England he got injured. Not having that again.

ThanksBoss26

No way Jones should be going away with England if he's having to be managed that carefully. Sounds like he's walking a tightrope.

The last time he went away with England he got injured. Not having that again.
Agreed. Reckon we'll pull him out very quickly. Hope so anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.