Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hambley

We shouldn't rely on Jones because of injuries but we should maybe rely on Rojo who has missed 70 games through injury in his three seasons at the club?
Rojo played most part of the last season before he got that injury. He just wasn't lucky. If he didn't get that injury he would finish the season as a starting XI defender.

acnumber9

Rojo played most part of the last season before he got that injury. He just wasn't lucky. If he didn't get that injury he would finish the season as a starting XI defender.
And missed 40 games the two seasons before that. Rojo isn't much better when it comes to staying injury free.

Hambley

And missed 40 games the two seasons before that. Rojo isn't much better when it comes to staying injury free.
Well, I don't insist on chosing particularly him. Fortunately, we have more then one CB in the squad. I wanted Jones to succeed but nothing changes for him. We can't rely on him anymore.

poacher

Jones is constantly injured. Every season he has a decent run of games and then just as the defensive partnership is looking promising he gets injured and leaves us short. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. Jones simply can't be relied upon as he can't stay fit. We should look at replacing Jones with a more reliable CB next summer. I would suggest Manolas or Aymeric Laporte as great CB that could replace Jones. Jones can't form a solid CB combination as he is constantly injured. The other issue with Jones is that he wants a salary increase to 150k per week which is too much for a guy that can't stay fit. The shame about Jones is that he's a pretty good CB if only he could stay fit he could be a defensive rock. It's a case of the mind is willing but the body just isn't.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Jones is constantly injured. Every season he has a decent run of games and then just as the defensive partnership is looking promising he gets injured and leaves us short. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. Jones simply can't be relied upon as he can't stay fit. We should look at replacing Jones with a more reliable CB next summer. I would suggest Manolas or Aymeric Laporte as great CB that could replace Jones. Jones can't form a solid CB combination as he is constantly injured. The other issue with Jones is that he wants a salary increase to 150k per week which is too much for a guy that can't stay fit. The shame about Jones is that he's a pretty good CB if only he could stay fit he could be a defensive rock. It's a case of the mind is willing but the body just isn't.
I’d offer him a contract with a pay as you play element to it. £75k a week basic wage and another £75k a week when he is available for selection.

I’d definately look to bring an experienced top class player in. The number of injuries this guy gets is ridiculous.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Correct me if I'm wrong, but a positive at least regarding Jones with all the injuries - he seems to me to very quickly get up to speed. I rarely ever see him come back from injury and have a bad game because he doesn't look fit/sharp.

At least that kind of means that if he's back fit for big games you can think about inserting him straight in to the line-up.

Aza Boy

If he is true in fit condition that will be a big advantage. Jones will tame Kane easily. Just watch it.

crackers0seven

Super player at season and still a nervous wreck. Only player I've ever seen not to have confidence in him after months of good performances. If he could just settle down he might not be the Jones who is just around the corner from a mistake.

ManUtd1999

He's having a good season so far. Played well for a player who had a minor injury.

prateik

Started off like he was lacking fitness/match sharpness.
Does anyone know if he trained normally all week ?

Was back by the end. Great defender.

Devil may care

A little too hyped for the first 35 minutes or so but settled down and played well as the game went on.

Godfather

Very good performance. Not gonna lie though. Everytime he starts a sprint I'm shitting my pants he might injure himself.

Bwuk

Much better in second but can't get over the feeling he has a mistake in him and he's rash at times.

The De Gea incident where he ran into Dave was poor.

el3mel

Thought he was very solid again. Having a great season so far, the most consistent one for him for years.

prtk0811

Thought he was very solid again. Having a great season so far, the most consistent one for him for years.
Touchwood. Dont know how mourinho got him playing this good.

Needs to be rested for chelsea game by not playing him midweek. I would even go with blind and lindelof as cb's vs benfica to give our defenders crucial rest before a crucial chelsea fixture. Play Shaw and darmian as fullbacks.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He’s barely been injured this season, but he still managed to be injured for long enough to cost us points sadly.

Not even blaming him for a second, but it has been extra annoying to see him fit enough to be straight back in the squad on Tuesday given how much him limping off last weekend cost us. I’m confident we’d have gotten at least a point last week if he hadn’t left the field.

Kostov

I wasn't sure which of our defenders to pick for MOTM, so i went with my favorite one in Phil Jones. Fantastic defender and future captain dare I say.

IrishRedDevil

I wasn't sure which of our defenders to pick for MOTM, so i went with my favorite one in Phil Jones. Fantastic defender and future captain dare I say.
Jones actually had a few shaky moments today. Bailly was better and it was his first game back.

Kostov

Jones actually had a few shaky moments today. Bailly was better and it was his first game back.
I remember the collision with De Gea, and not much else really, but I missed the first 10 minutes of the second half and maybe something happened in that interval. All 3 of them played very good in my opinion, Jones and Bailly getting back from injuries and slotting immediately is impressive also.

What do you think of Jones as captain? I think he would be a fine choice if he continues this way.

el3mel

Needs to be rested for chelsea game by not playing him midweek. I would even go with blind and lindelof as cb's vs benfica to give our defenders crucial rest before a crucial chelsea fixture. Play Shaw and darmian as fullbacks.
His fitness has always been his problem, plus the only manager who had faith in him before was SAF. Jose is the first manager after him to give Jones some confidence and shows faith in him. Any other manager would have sold him immediately due to his fitness issues before.

ti vu

His fitness has always been his problem, plus the only manager who had faith in him before was SAF. Jose is the first manager after him to give Jones some confidence and shows faith in him. Any other manager would have sold him immediately due to his fitness issues before.
That's not true. LVG rated him and pretty much intially trying to install him as Blnd partner in his second season. Also LVG was the same one extended his current contract. LVG just couldn't get him fit to play game, especially hia methodologic approach m an that Jones would hardly ever be deemed fit enough to play game.

izec

If only Lindelöf could defend. Him and Bailly are fine in a back three, but not paired with Smalling. We needed someone calmer like Van Dijk to conplement them perfectly

el3mel

That's not true. LVG rated him and pretty much intially trying to install him as Blnd partner in his second season. Also LVG was the same one extended his current contract. LVG just couldn't get him fit to play game, especially hia methodologic approach m an that Jones would hardly ever be deemed fit enough to play game.
Except Jones has clarified multiple times himself that SAF, Big Sam and Jose are the only managers that trusted him much.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
I know what you mean but I feel like Jones is the leader back there. Bailly is a brilliant defender but Jones is the organizer.

ti vu

Except Jones has clarified multiple times himself that only SAF, Big Sam and Jose are the only managers that trusted him much.
LVG is methodological. His approach is robotically. Rashford said that Mourinho trust and gave him more freedom, but doesn't mean LVG didn't trust him to give him his debut in that dire situation where we had no senior forward in return leg of knockout round, then vs Arsenal.

My point is the trust was there from LVG, but he didn't sell it to the players as well where Mourinho had quite some cases of turning former enemy players into his soldier.

el3mel

LVG is methodological. His approach is robotically. Rashford said that Mourinho trust and gave him more freedom, but doesn't mean LVG didn't trust him to give him his debut in that dire situation where we had no senior forward in return leg of knockout round, then vs Arsenal.

My point is the trust was there from LVG, but he didn't sell it to the players as well where Mourinho had quite some cases of turning former enemy players into his soldier.
The difference between Jones and Rashford's quotes are Rashford was talking about a certain manager only and didn't said another manager didn't trust him, but Jones listed 3 specific managers that he thinks gives him the most trust in his career.

We won't know for sure, though, but I'm pretty sure any manager who would have come after LVG would have sold Jones immediately knowing his fitness issues.

poacher

If only Lindelöf could defend. Him and Bailly are fine in a back three, but not paired with Smalling. We needed someone calmer like Van Dijk to conplement them perfectly
If we want a ball playing CB you can't get better than Laporte. Aymeric Laporte is the very definition of a modern ball playing CB and what's more, unlike Lindelof he can actually defend. Jonathan Tah is another fantastic young ball playing CB with everything you could ask for size, power and speed. Tah is 1.92m and 92kgs of solid muscle. I am all for giving Lindelof a chance but if he isn't up to it then we have to cut our losses and get someone better that's what Man City did with their goalie and Bayern has done with Renato Sanchez.

IrishRedDevil

I remember the collision with De Gea, and not much else really, but I missed the first 10 minutes of the second half and maybe something happened in that interval. All 3 of them played very good in my opinion, Jones and Bailly getting back from injuries and slotting immediately is impressive also.

What do you think of Jones as captain? I think he would be a fine choice if he continues this way.
Captains need to be consistent and there to play the majority of games. If Jones can stay fit then I think he would make a fine captain or at least vice.

We really do have a decent selection now with Bailly, Jones, Rojo, Smalling and Lindelof.

spontaneus1

Hamster, damn!

Always has been this good, just a perma crock.

lsd

The Oracle
Read he's played the same amount of games for us now as Duncan Edwards a player he was unfairly compared to when he started for us.

While he is obviously never going to be rated that highly again fair play to how he's come in this season and played well and consistently well too.

I was ready to write him off had doubts about his character and ability to stay fit I hope he continues to prove me wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.