Gaming PlayStation 5

caid

Forspoken looks interesting. Looks like its got some interesting combat mechanics in terms of blocking bullets and throwing them back at enemies and a few things like that. Traversal looks like it could be fun. Thought that was the most interesting part of the show.
God of War looks very good, few nice new bits in there and lots of gameplay shown so thats encouraging. I could play more Spiderman but a lot more interested in Wolverine. Bit burned out on spiderman i think.
Dont care for the raft of remakes.

Adamsk7

Did what it was supposed to do that - great showcase. Looking at the titles announced I am excited for -

GOW
Spider-Man 2
Wolverine
Guardians
Forsaken
Deathloop
GT7
Alan Wake
KOTOR

it’s probably the best event from any major player this year. There’s definitely more here than from Gamescom and even though I liked the Xbox E3 showcase, this was better. Granted, some are multi plat but Sony’s first party continues to go from strength to strength

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
If they're clever, with Wolverine's healing factor, the game will have rogue-like elements to take advantage of that particular trait of his.
What would you suggest? When you 'die' any and all environmental impact, damage, mission progress is permanent (ie you can't fail and restart a mission?)

hobbers

GTA 5 "updated graphics" "improved gameplay" :lol:
Rockstar: Give us MORE MONEY

Feels bad that the only things interesting me in that showcase are fecking Marvel. First films now games.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
GoW Ragnarok feels disappointing tbh. I hold the first /fourth one in such high regard. But the fact that this is the final of this series (set in norse mythology), Cory not directing it, the comments I read from the new director which portray a lame direction and even the trailer itself (which didn't live up to the hype for me but maybe that's unfair), all play into that sentiment. The director keeps talking about it being a family drama , atreus is moaning again at the start etc but surely after the magnificent 1st part that was so much about their dynamic thought this would be focused more on the actual saga. Just hope it doesn't feel samey. Proper fanboi rant here :(

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
GoW Ragnarok feels disappointing tbh. I hold the first /fourth one in such high regard. But the fact that this is the final of this series (set in norse mythology), Cory not directing it, the comments I read from the new director which portray a lame direction and even the trailer itself (which didn't live up to the hype for me but maybe that's unfair), all play into that sentiment. The director keeps talking about it being a family drama , atreus is moaning again at the start etc but surely after the magnificent 1st part that was so much about their dynamic thought this would be focused more on the actual saga. Just hope it doesn't feel samey. Proper fanboi rant here :(
I felt the same regarding Atreus. His voice irritated me witchin seconds of hearing it in the trailer. Still looking forward to this more than anything else mind you.

amolbhatia50k

I felt the same regarding Atreus. His voice irritated me witchin seconds of hearing it in the trailer. Still looking forward to this more than anything else mind you.
It makes sense that he's grown up a bit and that'll add something to this one, but a lot of the trailer was the pair of them bickering (mostly Atreus really) and the new director in his comments kept stressing on family drama. I know their relationship was the key part of the first one, but I was hoping we move a little away from that in the next one with a focus more on the events in the world. The whole parental issues thing can get old if not handled well. I'm also surprised that this is the last GoW in this setting. I would have thought that the likes of Thor and Odin would have a meatier role in the tale than Baldur got in the last which may be hard to do in a single game IMO. My expectation was 1 - Baldur 2 - Thor 3 - Odin

I guess I'm just reacting harshly because I absolutely adore the first and champion it as one of the great works of fiction (not just games) this past decade.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I get you but then again I think we are assuming a lot of things. Of course Atreus is moaning as he is a teen now, he was never gonna behave like Kratos. He has more questions than ever about himself, specially after learning who he is

amolbhatia50k

I get you but then again I think we are assuming a lot of things. Of course Atreus is moaning as he is a teen now, he was never gonna behave like Kratos. He has more questions than ever about himself, specially after learning who he is
True, and also Kratos said "this is your story" towards the end of the last game so it maybe about his growing up into whatever he becomes more than anything. Definitely assuming a lot of things but absolute loved the last one. Kratos vs Thor is going to be bloody brilliant

kouroux

True, and also Kratos said "this is your story" towards the end of the last game so it maybe about his growing up into whatever he becomes more than anything. Definitely assuming a lot of things but absolute loved the last one. Kratos vs Thor is going to be bloody brilliant
My only "concern" is about the amount of information they revealed. We went from nothing to a lot :lol: , I hope if they have kept a lot of stuff secret still and like you I imagined it to be a 3 game mythology but maybe they are afraid of the setting and gameplay being too repetitive ?

Raw

Wolverine from Insomniac sounds great in theory, but wonder if it'll just be a reskinned Spidey without the great traversal

Cause, let's be fair, Spiderman is just a reskin of Batman / any ubisoft open world but everything is generally solid.

If Spiderman 2 isn't out until 23, can't see how Wolverine hits before 25 personally. Maybe holiday 24 but seems unlikely.

So is next year Horizon and GT7, with Ragnarok bouncing between holiday 22/spring 23 depending on how things go?
I doubt they'd make Wolverine open world like Spider-Man, I think they'll do something more linear (something like Ratchet perhaps). I'm sure Insomniac know that the reason why Spider-Man works best as an open world game is because swinging about is fun.

Volumiza

It makes sense that he's grown up a bit and that'll add something to this one, but a lot of the trailer was the pair of them bickering (mostly Atreus really) and the new director in his comments kept stressing on family drama. I know their relationship was the key part of the first one, but I was hoping we move a little away from that in the next one with a focus more on the events in the world. The whole parental issues thing can get old if not handled well. I'm also surprised that this is the last GoW in this setting. I would have thought that the likes of Thor and Odin would have a meatier role in the tale than Baldur got in the last which may be hard to do in a single game IMO. My expectation was 1 - Baldur 2 - Thor 3 - Odin

I guess I'm just reacting harshly because I absolutely adore the first and champion it as one of the great works of fiction (not just games) this past decade.
I’ve loved all of the GOW’s right from the beginning, they’ve all been great games so I’m pretty sure this can’t go too wrong as the basic mechanics of the game are already there and sound. It’ll be fine I’m sure and I loved the father son thing in the last game so I’m optimistic.

My hope is that by the end of this game Atreus is his own character and maybe subsequently gets his own game as the dynamic would / could / should provide a very different experience to a game with Kratos as the main character.

Then we could enjoy Kratos and Loki games as separate entities and the ofd reunion every generation.

Siorac

There's a fecking KotOR remake officially announced and you put some shitty Marvel superhero thing in the title, jesus christ! Talk about misplaced priorities.

I'm so excited I feel like running a few laps around the house. I won't but I feel like it.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
No Silent Hill, no Metal Gear Solid, no surprises, pretty meh showcase.
Wolverine was definitely a surprise. KoTOR too probably as I don't think I saw any rumours prior to showcase - I could be wrong as I didn't play the original so wasn't looking out for it.

Guess the Diamond in the trailer was purely referring to Uncharted. That was disappointing as I was hoping Lost Legacy would come to PS+/Collection soon but no chance of that happening now.

Siorac

KoTOR too probably as I don't think I saw any rumours prior to showcase - I could be wrong as I didn't play the original so wasn't looking out for it.
There were solid rumours all the way back in April that Aspyr was working on a remake but I certainly didn't expect it to be a timed PS5 exclusive, considering the original was a... timed Xbox exclusive. That's a surprise.

amolbhatia50k

I’ve loved all of the GOW’s right from the beginning, they’ve all been great games so I’m pretty sure this can’t go too wrong as the basic mechanics of the game are already there and sound. It’ll be fine I’m sure and I loved the father son thing in the last game so I’m optimistic.

My hope is that by the end of this game Atreus is his own character and maybe subsequently gets his own game as the dynamic would / could / should provide a very different experience to a game with Kratos as the main character.

Then we could enjoy Kratos and Loki games as separate entities and the ofd reunion every generation.
Yeah but I do hope Kratos continues to remain protagonist of this series at least.They hinted at something not so nice in the last one.

Also, God of Calm & Reason.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I missed the show live but having now watched the trailers I think it looked great. There were plenty of games to get excited about. GOW Ragnarock looked brilliant and I need to make a point of replaying the previous one before that arrives.

Thought Forspoken looked kind of cool and unique although the main character was slightly annoying in that trailer. The combat and magic looked really promising though so I'll keep my eyes on that one.

I was slightly burnt out of Spiderman after finishing Miles Morales but that trailer got me hyped, could be some really interesting coop dynamics, I'm just intrigued by what they will do with the setting. Wolverine was unexpected and I trust Insomniac to deliver yet again. Hope they go down the slightly gritter route compared to Spiderman.

Volumiza

Thought Forspoken looked kind of cool and unique although the main character was slightly annoying in that trailer.
I hope she doesn’t talk as much in the game as she did in the trailer, she didn’t shut up.

It can have a big effect on the enjoyment of a game if you don’t like the main character. So many people love HZD but I couldn’t stand Aloys breathy and overly sincere voice to the point I didn’t enjoy the game.

amolbhatia50k

I hope she doesn’t talk as much in the game as she did in the trailer, she didn’t shut up.

It can have a big effect on the enjoyment of a game if you don’t like the main character. So many people love HZD but I couldn’t stand Aloys breathy and overly sincere voice to the point I didn’t enjoy the game.
I quite liked Aloy. She's no Geralt, but not a bad protagonist. The one that I liked that others didn't was Decan St. John from Days Gone. He too talked too much but somehow I found his insanity endearing even though it sometimes came across as forced.

Chairman Steve

That Forspoken game looked neat but I hated that female protagonist when she talked… Can’t wait for that irreverent fish out of water humour that it‘ll end up having I’m sure! With NOT Wheatley from Portal 2 played by NOT Stephen Merchant.

Interestingly that game has multiple writers, who include the guy who wrote After Earth with Shyamalan and Amy Hennig, who did all the good Uncharted games. An equal measure of dread and confidence respectively.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!

What? Ashly Birch is great. Wash your mouth you filthy whore.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
I believe that this is the middle part of a trilogy.

My biggest issue is with it being cross gen. Visually it doesn’t look that much better than GoW 2018.

kouroux

I believe that this is the middle part of a trilogy.

My biggest issue is with it being cross gen. Visually it doesn’t look that much better than GoW 2018.
I agree but I just wonder if the graphics improvement is something that necessary considering they're so good already, the room for improvement there isn't significant.

amolbhatia50k

I agree but I just wonder if the graphics improvement is something that necessary considering they're so good already, the room for improvement there isn't significant.
I'm sure it can go up a level but it's no the priority. If GoW 2018 looked a little less worse it would still be one of gaming's greats.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
A decent show I thought. That Project Eve game looks cool. Obviously, Spider-Man and Wolverine from Insomniac are exciting, although I'm not much of a fan of studios announcing games that are quite far away.

Not really much of a God of War fan to be honest, but I will obviously play it. Pleasantly surprised by the release of GT 7, thought it would be later next year instead. Was cool to see it being released relatively soon.

Been interested in that Ghostwire Tokyo game since I first saw it, so was nice to see more of that. So yeah, good showing overall

Disappointed that there was no Metal Gear remake. Would have killed to see that and maybe see some changes to PS Plus