g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 2:0 Leicester City

Post-match discussion

Sat, 26 August 2017

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Their keeper wont be happy with Rashford's goal, looking at the replay.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Don't think anyone really had a bad game
I thought Valencia was poor, both Pogba and Lukaku were a bit underpar, missing a good chance and a penalty each and Blind was making some mistakes in defense. I might be harsh on Lukaku as I don't think he should be put in a position to take penalties considering how poor he is regularly at them.

AdnanRED

Great management from Mou. Glad he kept Lukaku on for confidence and also the way he included Rash was by taking off Mata and eventually then Lingaard for Martial and Jesse and Rash swapping sides...meant Martial didnt feel like he flopped but he also got what he wanted by Rash scoring. Also great for jesse with an assist n Fellaini goal which makes them feel a part of this team even as subs. Defence was perfect again.

Tanel

Actually it was great way to show the players that there are a lot tough games ahead. Now off to International break and then also CL games.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I prefer Rashford starting, he seems to be more in the flow with the team and spots good movement. I didn't like Martial movement in the first half, he needs to stay wide and work with fullback instead of going into the middle. He's deadly in the closing stages of the game though.
It seemed like some tactical instruction as even Rashford was playing quite narrow after coming in and the two Leicester fullbacks were tucked in too.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Good to know that when Rom hasnt got his shooting boots on we can still find goals in the team.
10 goals scored, 0 conceded and 6 different goalscorers so far this season. That's been a pleasing aspect of the start we've had.

dbs235

It may only be three games in but I'd be shocked if we don't challenge for the title. The issues we've had last season seem to be fixed, Lukaku & Matic are great signings and Pogba, Martial and Miki seem to have found form. As well Jones being fit again. All we need now is Shaw to sort himself out.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Solid performance.
Bailly and Jones snuffed out their threat. Blind had his best game of the season.
Pogba very good first half apart from slightly wayward with his shooting - quiet in the 2nd half.
Lukaku didn't have his shooting boots on today either.
Rashford did well after coming on.

Some nice football played in the middle of the first half.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Width seems to be a problem, Jones and Bailly did very well.

SqueakyWeasel

If I was really picky, two things:

I'd want the same width on the left as we have on the right, Martial cuts in too much and Blind tries to cover like a wingback and could potentially leave us open.

Don't understand that we have 78% possession up until the second goal and then we sit back and give them a chance to come on to us??? :confused: Why not continue with the possession football?

… They are small points and I couldn't be happier just looking forward to games again!

TehRed

De Gea - 7 - Had little to do but caught well and kept his concentration to make a fantastic point blank save right at the end.
Valencia - 4 - His attacking play was abjectly awful and looks to have regressed. Offered nothing, terribly one-dimensional.
Bailly - 7 - Another solid game, tremendous partnership developing with Jones. Liked his pace and ball winning even up the pitch.
Jones - 7 - Outstanding, another fantastic performance. Won't rate him higher because he had little to do but he's strong and focused.
Blind - 6 - Defensively fine, but offered little going forward, but that's a given. I'd prefer Darmian to get a start in the next game.
Pogba - 7 - Popped up all over the pitch, would have liked to see him breaking into the box more in the second half.
Matic - 7 - Supports and covers for Pogba so ably and is so composed. Another solid game as a fantastic foundation.
Mata - 7 - Could have done with him staying wider in the first half, played well and was typically intelligent throughout.
Mkhitaryan - 7 - Another assist! Worked hard, and though there was less inspiration today, he linked play well.
Martial - 7 - Good dribbles and runs, just what we expected. Looked the most likely to make something happen in the first half.
Lukaku - 6 - Hold-up play was better, should have scored at the end, poor penalty. Didn't have very much service to be fair.

Mourinho's substitutions have been fantastic again, Lingard assisted the Fellaini goal and Rashford scored the other one. I like the Martial and Rashford double act with one replacing the other and both of them offering pacy and direct dribbling, but i'd really like to see them both start a game soon.

BenjaminP

Jones & Baily partnership is exciting me :drool:
Shadow of Vidic & Ferdinand

Rawls

You'll never find, that microfilm of mine
A good win, all things considered. Leicester were very compact which obviously made it difficult for us to create a plethora of great chances (Like we did versus West Ham). I still feel that some of our passing combinations have to improve in the final third, in addition to the need for us to dribble more aggressively and regularly when down and around the opposition box. That being said, at least we're winning these games with a degree of comfort whereas last season, we probably would have drawn this game.

MadMike

Leicester didn't make it easy. They defended very well, especially Maguire, and when they didn't Schmeichel pulled some great saves. They were also dangerous on the counter with Mahrez and Vardy.

I'm really pleased with the character and perseverance of this team so far. They kept going and as others have said, we won a game we would have probably drawn last season. And kudos to the CB pairing and De Gea. They were amazing when needed, 3rd clean sheet feels great too.

I'm excited about the depth of our squad. We still have Rojo and Zlatan to come back from injury.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
Was worried we'd fail to win after Lukaku's penalty miss, but the lads showed that we're much more ruthless this season.

Was very important to maintain our 100% record going into the international break and we did it. Nothing to complain about.

As for individual performances - thought Martial did well (especially in the first half) and created our best chance to score with a brilliant cross.

Rashford also did very well after coming on. Very good, intuitive strike for his goal.

nikineil

That was just eyewateringly beautiful! Wonderful play all over the place. Domination supreme!

Blind

Wasn't a great performance, didn't think the performance against Swansea was great either, but we've managed to win both comfortably. If Pogba and Lukaku were both on it today it could have been another 4-0.

Solo Toure

Excellent, another difficult game where the opposition were hard to break down.

Defence dominated again, clean sheet to boot.

Leicester were fortunate to only concede 2. Top of the league where we belong.

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
“Brilliant [Leicester's defensive] wall!”, say our manager.

kthanksbye

3 points, clean sheet, dominated the game, I'll take that.

But we need a new set of full backs, does anyone remember if Shaw's crossing is any good?

Yagami

Good post resistant
I was worried about our mentality before scoring. We've seen it countless times - something doesn't go our way and we turn to shit. Today, though, we had a few iffy moments after the missed penalty, but we pulled our shorts up, screwed our heads on, and started playing again; getting the goal in the process. Even after the goal we went for more which was great, too.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Every year I play fantasy we win the league. This year is the first since 2012-13 that I've played. We're gonna win the league!

Todd

We look so much more dangerous now than we did last season. Always feel like we are capable of breaking a 0-0 wide open.

I still wanna see Martial and Rashford both start. Width wouldn't be an issue if we had a proper wingback on the left.

Imagine if we had Martial, Lukaku and Rashford across the top with Shaw at LWB, in the form he had right before he broke his leg. We'd be a constant nightmare for defenses to deal with.

Player Ratings

6.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 703 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Leicester win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 28% Man Utd 3:1 Leicester
  • 20% Man Utd 3:0 Leicester