PL D FA Premier League

Manchester United 0:0 Southampton

Post-match discussion

Sat, 30 December 2017

C3Pique

You must copy and paste these replies every week. (The first month of the season aside).

I genuinely think that Liverpool game killed our confidence as a team, we were steamrolling teams 4 - 0 so regularly that it became a joke around here! Then Mourinho set up against Liverpool in the most cowardly fashion and basically told the players that he doesn't trust them, and from that point on there was only one thing that was going to happen, players playing with the knowledge that their manager has no faith in them.

Well done zapping the players confidence Mou.
That Liverpool game torpedoed our season. Should have gone out swinging. Absolute cowardice.

iluvoursolskjær

Searching for life's white text in London
I think all of Mou’s emphasis on transfer budgets (though I don’t blame him..) and needing more has seeped a negativity in to the team. Making them feel and believe they’re not good enough. I mean, how could it not?

Cos they look far from a confident outfit. Even clueless.

Jose needs to stop being a little bitch with his moody bum faces and kick every ball with the team.

BarstoolProphet

This is what happens when you have a manager who doesn't really believe in playing good , fast paced , creative attacking football. When the cracks start to show you ultimately end up with this kind of shite.

Where was the quality? Where was the idea of what they were actually trying to do? Given a mini football lesson by Soton at home?? Doh!

How anyone can say that Mourinho is taking us anywhere at all after watching that utter dross is beyond me. A team that is "going somewhere" does not play like that..........ever

" don't worry we are 3rd"
" don't worry we are 4th"
" don't worry we are 5th" ......zzzzzzzzz

This.

TimScoreboard

Supports
Palermo
Up there with one of the worst games of the season. Not to worry though, we’re still in 2nd…oh wait.
The worse for me, considering who we were playing. There's no disguising, or excusing this one, it's a case of helmets on and take the flack; of which there will be plenty.

Tyinde

Just like a machine. If one or two parts not working well. We call it a problem of quality.
If the most parts not working well. Its a problem of design. This team have a big problem of design.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Lets be honest we were playing good stuff earlier this season. Recently has been dog turd but let's not vanish the rest of the season away.

This team IS capable of more. We know that as we have seen it. It's clear the city game has hit us hard but the players have to man up and take responsibility for their own personal performances as to me there's too many hiding right now and it's not good enough.
This is what I don't understand about our players. You lose one game and then you think the bloody season is over? Get over it and get on with it. Their mentality is appalling. They did the same thing last season after the City game. Too much focus on the outcome of one game when you have a whole season ahead of you. Never known such a soft bunch.

Sgeorge

Terrible game, had no ideas in attack and couldn't get any control of the game. Third game in a row Matic/Pogba combination is not working in midfield. Mata is a very good creative player but he is too old now to do it week in, week out.

I'm not enjoying how Jose is managing the team, the players doesn't look happy or motivated. Never wanted him here, but if he can turn it around I would be very happy.

Red4Ever

Cork; home of Cantwell, Irwin, Keane and Vidic-wel
I put this all down to Mourinho, I really do. The first part of the season Mkhi was flying, assists all over the place. Then we start coming up against the 'big' teams and Mourinho's tactics kick in and suffocate any attacking talent we have - how are they supposed to take any confidence out of that? No wonder Mkhi is shot to pieces.

I'm not a Mkhi fanboy, but he is actually probably one of our best players. We've bluffed our way into our current position. When we were putting 4 past teams earlier in the season it was only in 10 minute spells, we weren't exactly dominating matches were we. We haven't been great all season, but with the attacking talent and the speed we have in the team we should at least be testing teams like Southampton at home!

For me it's typical Mourinho. Blames everyone else. Luke Shaw does well, but makes one misplaced pass and Mourinho is in his ear calling him a c***. Thanks for your motivation Jose.

He's lost the players.

Would you want to play for him?
Mkhi was playing shit even when he got those assists

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
That Liverpool game torpedoed our season. Should have gone out swinging. Absolute cowardice.
Exactly, if we as fans could see how pathetic that was then what must the players thought? Football has a lot to do with confidence, and we were playing with the intensity that we lacked since Fergie! Then that game happened, the most obvious turning point of the season so far.

desmondisback

Made the most passes and crosses of any player on the pitch while he was on it. Also gave the ball away too much and couldnt cross with his left foot.

If you only focus on the 2nd sentence you weren't really watching.

Miki shows all the signs of a player who has realised that his manager is not interested in playing the kind of football where his talents can flourish. He might end up like Di Maria - going somewhere else where they are actually trying to play good , quality attacking football.

His heart isn't in it and I don't blame him at all. Defenders and big muscle players will always like Mourinho much more than Miki type players. Why did he come here and why did Jose get him into a team when he is committed to such ugly football.

Broad Street Bullies

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Why do I keep getting this error, even though I've rated all players?

The following error occurred:
Please rate all players.

Not just me apparently. I think something might be up @Damien
Maybe the system doesn't recognise Mkhitaryan as a player?

Ekeke

Thank you but I was watching and I just finished watching extended highlights. Made most passes and crosses mean absolutely feck all if his crosses are absolute garbage. I wonder if he wasn't also the one with the most missplaced passes either.
Crossing with his left shouldn't be an excuse for sending the ball into row Z or 3 meters high I'm sorry.
I'm talking about making the most passes and crosses that reached a teammate.

He did make too many misplaced passes in the first half and his left footed crossing was poor, but by the time he came off he was at 82% pass accuracy which isnt too bad. He made 5 less accurate passes than Mata and 8 more than Lingard despite coming off in the 64th minute. And again despite coming off he made 3 crosses that found a teammate which was the most of any player on the pitch.

Ward Prowse is probably the best crosser who was on the pitch. He attempted 11 and found a teammate just 1 time. He's still probably the best crosser that played today.

Toad

Post match interview with Mourinho is horrendous. Sulking, no wonder there is no urgency with an attitude like that from the manager.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Mata is the only starting forward with a hint of creativity but he has all the physicality of a drunk ewok.

Saad138

Rashford and Mkhi have gone from being amazing players to absolutely atrocious.

FrenchRed

I put this all down to Mourinho, I really do. The first part of the season Mkhi was flying, assists all over the place. Then we start coming up against the 'big' teams and Mourinho's tactics kick in and suffocate any attacking talent we have - how are they supposed to take any confidence out of that? No wonder Mkhi is shot to pieces.

I'm not a Mkhi fanboy, but he is actually probably one of our best players. We've bluffed our way into our current position. When we were putting 4 past teams earlier in the season it was only in 10 minute spells, we weren't exactly dominating matches were we. We haven't been great all season, but with the attacking talent and the speed we have in the team we should at least be testing teams like Southampton at home!

For me it's typical Mourinho. Blames everyone else. Luke Shaw does well, but makes one misplaced pass and Mourinho is in his ear calling him a c***. Thanks for your motivation Jose.

He's lost the players.

Would you want to play for him?
Really couldn’t disagree more, sounds like you have an agenda against Mourinho that colors how you see games.

Mhki has looked terrible since he joined us - he’s never ‘flown’ at all. Not sure what games you have watched. He is symptomatic of the attitude dragging us down and should be shipped out ASAP. Useless.

maba723

likes bananas a bit too much
He was played completely out of position while England's great hope rashford played in his so called best position and was worse than hopeless
Doesn't excuse his inability to cross or pass a ball

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Start a Mourinho out thread then :)

For me it's the start over yet again and who do you turn to? There aren't many obvious candidates. And don't mention Ancelotti.
Do you honestly see this proving? Really think about it and look at all the evidence so far. Including his spells at former clubs, has he ever resurrected a situation successfully?

The last thing I want to do is start all over again, but speaking honestly I think we need to because this isn’t working.

We needed a DoF before SAF left, if we had had one all this would have been avoided. Going forward, I don’t want a superstar coach with a reputation, I want a coach who can actually coach a team effectively. Football has moved on from Mourinho.

The worst part is I don’t think he’s even that bothered, doesn’t seem to be doing much to change it. Lives in a hotel, that may seem petty but hardly gives the impression he’s committed does it?

People will say he was only ever going to be here for the short term to get us back on track. Is he doing that? I really don’t believe so.

soapythecat

Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho: "I think it is also a disappointing afternoon for Craig [Pawson, the referee] because he's a fantastic referee, one of the best in Europe.

"We missed easy chances but I'm really unhappy with the penalty, not with Pawson's performance - Today I think Craig had a good performance, it was a big decision to make from Craig.

"I'm happy with the players' attitude, the players' desires and I'm very happy with my place."
If he is genuinely happy with those players today, then we really are fecked!

Sing you a song

Zlatan out for a month god knows where the goals are going to come from .

Everyone who has been screaming for Rashford to play through the middle have now got there wish ... expect a goal drought because that lad is just not good enough

Saad138

Such a torture to watch this game. Reminded me of the LVG days. You could tell even Fergie was in pain watching this shite show.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I'm talking about making the most passes and crosses that reached a teammate.

He did make too many misplaced passes in the first half and his left footed crossing was poor, but by the time he came off he was at 82% pass accuracy which isnt too bad. He made 5 less accurate passes than Mata and 8 more than Lingard despite coming off in the 64th minute. And again despite coming off he made 3 crosses that found a teammate which was the most of any player on the pitch.

Ward Prowse is probably the best crosser who was on the pitch. He attempted 11 and found a teammate just 1 time. He's still probably the best crosser that played today.
I think those stats mean absolutely feck all when you actually watch the match. A cross or a pass can reach a teammate but it says nothing about whether it created anything of note. It doesn't mention if the timing, weight and height was optimal. A player can rack up an impressive number of passes overall but it could still mean feck all.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Its definitely much better. More goals, better players, better league position etc. We are just in a ditch at the moment and need to pull ourselves out.
It's a ditch that could unhinge Jose IMO. Then, we'd really be fecked.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It was a shite performance, but the lineup was utterly fine. You can't be playing your best 11 every game (although we basically did), and you shouldn't have to against dregs like Southampton.
On that I agree. Even the line up we fielded performed as if they'd received no coaching or instructions. My point is that the inclusion of two wide players one slow and one useless was a bit of a problem that was visible a mile off

TheReligion

Abusive
Can I just say it's a stonewall penalty.

Yoshida even said in his interview that he got lucky and smiled. He deliberately moved his hand to the ball.

Doesn't change the performance but it was a penalty. Not sure why Foy is defending Pawson.

MrBest

Lets be honest we were playing good stuff earlier this season. Recently has been dog turd but let's not vanish the rest of the season away.

This team IS capable of more. We know that as we have seen it. It's clear the city game has hit us hard but the players have to man up and take responsibility for their own personal performances as to me there's too many hiding right now and it's not good enough.
I think we played okay at the start of the season, we had a lot of luck going our way and a lot more goals. The pogba injury changed us a lot. The problem with this team is we have no leaders and no winners, bar maybe pogba.

desmondisback

Exactly, if we as fans could see how pathetic that was then what must the players thought? Football has a lot to do with confidence, and we were playing with the intensity that we lacked since Fergie! Then that game happened, the most obvious turning point of the season so far.

This is what many of us were saying back then. Why clip the wings of the players in mid flight? It wasn't broke so why try to fix it? I agree the rot started then.

Back then we were called fickle moaners who should have been glad of a point at Anfield , but now we aren't looking quite so stupid after all.

Player Ratings

5.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 290 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Southampton win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 27% Man Utd 2:0 Southampton
  • 15% Man Utd 2:1 Southampton