LC L League Cup 3rd Round

Manchester United 0:1 West Ham United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 22 September 2021

roseguy64

Didn't do enough in the final third to win it. Decent performance overall but doesn't count if you don't take your chances/create better scoring opportunities. Only a third of 27 shots on target sums it up.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
We also need to win a trophy, one less chance now, and one of the easier chances too.
Not really, unless you actually prioritize it (to some degree). If you treat it like an opportunity to play mainly second stringers, it's going to be a bit of a toss-up.

Up until the very last stages, it's a question of squad depth more than anything. We could've won this one - probably should have based on what happened - but we don't have a second string capable of easily dismissing anyone near PL quality. That is true for all our rivals as well, though - except City, by common consensus.

Also - do you think the people who consider Ole a PE teacher would give him any credit for winning the feckin' League Cup?

largelyworried

Genuinely unarsed. We were easily the better team and most of our flaws on the night we already knew about. I’d rather win it, but if we have to go out, best to do it straight away. Id say it increases our chances of winning the league by a percent or two.

Redlyn

We needed cutting edge. I thought greenwood came on and injected some.

Both Matic and VDB were good. Matic really looked majestic to me in the way he dictated from the base of the midfield. Wish he could do it in the prem. Donny finally looks like a player.

Martial some good touches but no end product. Sancho looked like martial mark 2.

We needed these games for these players. Very unfortunate.

KingCavani

Giving Martial a new contract after a few months of decent form really sums up how incompetently this club is run.

Mourinho was right to want him out ASAP, one of the most passive footballers I’ve seen in my life. Disgraceful that he’s still here but I can’t see any club taking on his contract. He’s certainly not the type to leave out of professional pride either.

I had some concerns about Sancho outside of the attacking Dortmund system and he’s really struggling right now. He just isn’t providing the threat he needs to and seems confused as to what to do. I worry that when Rashford and Cavani come back there’ll be less opportunities for him.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
People only care about the League Cup when we're out of it

LawmanMan

Jeez - you would think our VERY expensive second string could beat a defence marshalled by Craig Dawson.

Ole shown up again.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Moyes’ record away at the old Top 4 is horrendous. That was his first ever win away at Old Trafford.

EtH

Decent performance and entertaining match. Not bothered at being out. Just sucks it happened against that lot.

DvB looked really good again. Pleased for him.

Stick a fork in Tony Martial.

Godfather

9 pages already for a league cup 3rd tie with a second string side is impressive.
Just lost to a West Ham B team managed by Moyes after looking pretty average in every game this season. Hardly surprising. Don't think anyone cared about the league cup but our performances are worrying.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I think Dalot did well in attack, defensively absolutely bobbins though for the most part.
If only we can find a way to combine him and AWB into one single player.

roseguy64

Ah well. So long as Solskjaer understands he's just reduced his chances of silverware by 25% already. Never a fan of heavy rotation unless against lower league opposition. Wanted to go far in every competition this season so this kinda sucks!
Lower league opposition?

Longshanks

The best team in the country, and arguably the best over practically the last decade win it pretty much every season for what the last 5 years?
Does it really bother you? I don't really care that city and there billion pound squad win a tin pot trophy most years.

Dont get me wrong if we were to win it I would celebrate a little but its almost a non entity in all honesty especially in the early rounds.

Crustanoid

Jettison Ole and enforce him to wear a PE teacher outfit for the rest of his days

Bring Moyes in or if he turns us down, Allerdyce might give us a chance

Turn DVB into a groundsman or something.

Mata, Matic and Lingard would fetch enough for us to get Marc Noble

Put Jones on a lost-style desert island where nobody can find him

Re-sign Daniel James

Set up a weekly activity for fans. Kick xxxxx in the nads continuously for an hour. First week Ed Woodward, then Judge, then that PR prick from the Mirror that Ed hired, Joel, Abram, Murtough is skating close

Gordon S

They defended deep a lot and that gave us possession and shots from distance. But we didn`t really test Areola more than a few times.
It`s the midfield for me. Matic tries his best to be calm and precise in his actions but mostly makes us slow and static and also gives the ball away too easily a few times.
Donny works his socks off and is everywhere but unfortunately far too often in positions he shouldn`t be for a central mid. Doesn`t look natural there. I think he is talented but haven`t got a clue where we should play him to get the best out of him.

Martial is so talented and is a joy to watch at times but as usual he just disappears for long stretches of the game. Mason adds an actual threat from the first second he enters the pitch.

LawmanMan

Moyes’ record away at the old Top 4 is horrendous. That was his first ever win away at Old Trafford.
Nah - we lost to Everton on penalties in the FA Cup.

Nevertheless, someone else mentioned would anyone give Ole credit for winning the League Cup. Of course, and if he doesn't win a cup this season he will be sacked. With our squad he should have been able to win this tie. Very disappointing result.

jeff_goldblum

Not too annoyed by that. Conceded because of a series of individual mistakes by second string players, on another day we'd have had a penalty and finished some of those chances. Biggest issue for me is Martial, he's clearly in the shop window but he's not doing anything that would convince anyone to take a chance on him. As it is he'd be my 5th choice to start up front and my 4th choice to start on the left.

r0663664

Worships Man City
I didn't watch the game so it seems that we didn't play. As usual, Martial is poor and both fullbacks. Ole should forget about Martial, you don't play a striker like Martial hoping he will start scoring. There are strikers who has a dry spell but their overall play is good and has chances to score. Seriously how many shot Martial has on average in a game? I don't care if City will win, we beat teams we are suppose to beat. If we intend to lost this game then play the kids. At least we can have excuses why we lost. Sound to me, Ole wants to win but lost instead. These are important games to keep the squad happy, we have many players who can't sniff a game and it is a game time to remind Ole that they exist. Winning is a culture, once you win you don't want to lose. Pep understands this and that why they focus on these small trophy. Lastly, Pep has a system so everyone who comes in, they play exactly the same. Not Ole!!!! AWB is different from Dalot, Martial is different from CR and that is why Individuals are so important to Ole. We can't win because the parts dun fit. Do you think you can put a Ferrari engine into Posche and they will just run as fast? That's Ole approach to football.

IhabX7

Does it really bother you? I don't really care that city and there billion pound squad win a tin pot trophy most years.

Dont get me wrong if we were to win it I would celebrate a little but its almost a non entity in all honesty especially in the early rounds.
They win it alongside winning the league if you noticed.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Saw Martial around the 75th minute and was genuinely surprised because I'd forgotten he was playing.... he's never a centre forward, he offers almost nothing.

Thought VdB did well (apart from ball watchingfor the goal), so hopefully that will give him a bit of confidence.

Other than that, couldn't really care, we've enough games to play without the tin pot cut.

maximus419

The record aside, the more concerning is just how better coached West ham seem to be. Moyes has definitely improved their football and team far better than ole has at utd.

You can actual see patterns of play and a style to west hams team. I really don't know what utd are doing in training and when we are going to see improvements in players and a system on the pitch.

The "we are a poorly coached" thread is absolute right; utd are one of the worst top sides in terms of coaching in Europe. Wonder who the first player is going to be to call this out in media? When you think of the teams and systems the likes of varane, Sancho, Ronaldo and cavani have played for, surely they must be concerned at what they are seeing on the training pitch and the prep for matches!

I really hoped that when we signed these big names that demands of better coaching and tactical play may have translated into the pitch by now. Yet to see any changes so far this season though.

Barnslig

Worst thing about this is we needed this competition for the squad players.
Well if the squad players can't keep themselves in a Mickey mouse competition against West Ham, maybe they don't deserve those games. Didn't seem like the players felt that way, did it?

Judas

Open to offers

My point is you say none of the big teams care about it which is just factually wrong.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Jaysus. Rested all our players and actually dominated the game for 80 mins

Very unlucky not to get back into the game

One of those days

Knives are out though, any excuse
Someone reasonable amongst the legions of numpties. Fair play.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
I'd be interested to hear how long can Manchester fecking United go on being trophyless before we should start worrying? Is it 5 years? Is it 10? We're not talking about a league here, mind, just a trophy.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Care to find few posts proving that?
I don't really mind as long as he's trying his best, which seems unlikely to change.

75+ points and a good cup run in one of the three cup comps we are in.
A good cup run is a semi at least.

thats it
anything less then its over for me
8 to 10 more points and a continuation of the good things I saw the last couple of seasons. These are subjective so maybe not for this thread. For the concrete, 8 to 10 more points
85 points in the league and getting out of CL group.
League : 80 points
Cups : Give lads game time
Champions league : Knockouts
Just go read the minimum bar for continuity in oles third season thread if you want to find more.

MrBest

Hopefully the shackles are off Donny and we can see more of what he can do. If that is what this defeat means, im happy plus we rested players for Sat. I wouldn't get all upset about it, we had 2 good runs in this comp recently, its also a waste of time and energy.

Player Ratings

5.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 237 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • West Ham win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 25% Man Utd 2:0 West Ham
  • 24% Man Utd 2:1 West Ham