Press Conferences 2012/13

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
we'l have to be at our best though Carl. People said the same thing last year.
Totally different circumstances last year. We totally outclassed them in that game too lets not forget. We just so happened to absolutely bottle it in the last 15mins or so.

Cevno

David McDonnell ‏@DiscoMirror

First question to Fergie from a French reporter, about a kiss and tell involving Evra. Fergie:"Was that a grenade thrown in there?!" #MUFC

Ferguson can't see @DiscoMirror as he asks question in press conf. "I should've recognised that voice. Like poison creeping over my body..."

:lol:

Both Mourinho and Sir Alex in good form in the pressers.

Cevno

ManUtd Stuff ‏@ManUtdStuff

Jose Mourinho: "I can't see myself replacing Sir Alex, we'll finish our careers at the same time; he at 90 years & I at 70."

Sir Alex says that Shinji Kagawa will be involved at some point tomorrow night.

Cevno

Sir Alex also said that everyone that he needs is fit.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

Jose Mourinho: "I can't see myself replacing Sir Alex, we'll finish our careers at the same time; he at 90 years & I at 70."

He's always coy about it and feints around it with a smart answer. I'm sure he's been lined up and is fully aware of it.

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
I loved the answer about the youth playing such a big part and that it means that United don't always have the best side, but are consistent and have the longevity as a result. It was a real eye opener into his thoughts.

prateik

Someone gave Fergie a bottle of wine at the end of the presser.
Jose trying to get Fergie drunk :mad:

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Who was the journo he said his voice was like poison over his body?

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Who was the journo he said his voice was like poison over his body?
David McDonnell

Reference to it in a Mirror article:

United boss Fergie was unable to see McDonnell when our Manchester man asked him a question at a packed pre-match press conference at the Bernabeu.

But when he spotted our man, heaved a huge sigh before declaring: "I should have recognised that voice - like poison creeping all over my body...oh hello, David!"

Ferguson has previous with McDonnell - having branded him "Biggles of the Mirror" when we reported a plane had been flying over United's Carrington HQ, trying to spy on their training sessions.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/manchester-uniteds-wayne-rooney-bogey-1705516

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Oh crap, whatever you do RVP, don't shoot after the whistle!!!

Hitchcocker

:( Back at Chelsea then.

Cevno

Mandy Henry ‏@MandyHenryMedia

SAF:"Jonny has emerged in the last year or so as a top defender, he's been fantastic. He's shown great consistency in the last year."#mufc

Adam Marshall ‏@AdamSMarshall

Boss: You see Nick Powell against Arsenal in the Reserves on Monday and you are thinking "he can be a first-team player"

Ben Hibbs ‏@BenHibbs

SAF "Danny's goal won't do him harm. Not a boy who lacks confidence, wasn't fazed by the occasion. It's a boost for players in our Academy"

Mandy Henry ‏@MandyHenryMedia

Sir Alex says he'll make changes on Monday, even though there's a big incentive to get to the next stage of the FA Cup. #mufc

Cevno

Him mentioning Nick Powell specifcally seems to suggest he'll be involved. Woner what he thought about Januzaj ?

LR7

Key points from this mornings press conference:

* There are no injuries from midweek but Sir Alex will make changes for Monday night's FA Cup tie against Reading. "It's an incentive to get to the quarter-final. Whatever side I pick, I expect to qualify."

* Nothing will be taken for granted against a Reading side in decent form. "In the FA Cup, you always expect the unexpected."

* The centre-back situation involving Jonny Eans, Rio Ferdinand and Nemanja Vidic is being managed. "Three days after Everton was a risk," admits the boss regarding Vidic's non-involvement at the Bernabeu while Evans' consistency is praised.

* The manager does not expect goalkeepers to properly mature until their mid-twenties, although there are a few exceptions. Patience is preached for both David De Gea and also midfielder Tom Cleverley who is "an important member of our squad".

* Rotation will be the name of the game for the upcoming fixtures with Reading, QPR, Norwich and Real. "It's not easy to rotate but it has to be done. The biggest responsibility lies with myself in picking the right team."

“We've come through Wednesday's game without any injuries,” the boss told reporters. “That's the best thing, apart from the result of course. I'll make some changes for Monday night, even though it’s an incentive to get to the quarter-final. I don’t think that’s lost on any of the players.

"There's a good spirit in place and they're all contributing. Whatever side I pick we’re expected to qualify. That's what happens at United. Whatever team you play you’re always expected to win. I went to see Reading last week and they’re a team who are showing plenty of fighting qualities at the moment, as you’d expect given they’re down the bottom of the league.

"We'll take nothing for granted. In the FA Cup you always expect the unexpected. It happens so many times. You just hope you're not a casualty or a shock. We've had a few over the years. But I can't be more pleased than I am at the moment with the form and spirit in the place. It’s good."

Sir Alex also revealed that Paul Scholes is struggling with a knee injury and could be out for a couple of weeks.

"We're always patient with young players," stated Sir Alex during Friday's press conference. "We're patient with Tom Cleverley. We sent him out on loan on four different occasions and he's matured. Now he’s an important member of the squad. You have to show patience. If you think they have the ability then you have to be prepared to wait for that.

"Maturity helps [goalkeepers too]. There are very few goalkeepers who are the finished article at 20 years of age. There are some examples, like Gianluigi Buffon and Petr Cech. That's not always the case.

"Peter Schmeichel didn't join us until he was 27 and then gave us eight great years. Normally for goalkeepers it's the mid-20s until you get the finished article.

"A good performance helps everyone. It gives them confidence, there’s no doubt about that. It won’t change him. He [De Gea] is a down-to-earth boy.

"As for Danny, his goal won't do him any harm. He's not a boy who lacks confidence. He wasn't fazed by the occasion. It's a great boost for the younger players coming up behind him, those in the Academy like Danny was. He's been with us since the age of nine.

"It's great testament to the development work we do with young players. We had young Nick Powell and Adnan Januzaj in the Reserves on Monday and you say to yourself: 'These are definite Manchester United first-team players.'

"We can see that. They have outstanding qualities. They can see that in trusting us to map out their careers and help them and develop them then they can get to Danny’s level."

[all from manutd.com]

twitter thread suggester
Adam Marshall ‏@AdamSMarshall is a crap tweeter, omitting Januzaj from the quote.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Don't think it would be abnormal to see Powell to get a start here, Januzaj on the bench would be exciting :drool:
Not sure if he will start. I'd expect more coming of the bench early in the second half if things are going well. Would love to see him get a start though.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
SAF's genius way of letting the academy boys they are very much in his thoughts. Even if they're not getting games. Prove a great boost to the boys.

Amir

Not too bad:

"Phil Jones is the one we're concerned about for the Real Madrid game. We're working hard on it and I'd say he has an outside chance - no more than that. We'll have to wait and see if he's fit for the second leg. It's two weeks away. A lot can happen. He's an outside chance, that's all. Other than that, everybody's fit".

kps88

Main points -

Injury update Phil Jones is the one we're concerned about for the Real Madrid game. We're working hard on it and I'd say he has an outside chance - no more than that. We'll have to wait and see if he's fit for the second leg. It's two weeks away. A lot can happen. He's an outside chance, that's all. Other than that, everybody's fit.

Team selection v QPR We have a problem picking teams at the moment but that's where we want to be. QPR are fighting for survival and we know it's going to be a hard game. That's what we need - we need to make sure we do our job right. The fact is, City will drop points too. That's where we are, coming into the run-in. We expect to drop a few points but so will they. To be honest, it's always a hard run-in in the Premier League. With the right attitude and the right players we have a chance.

David Gill’s impending departure He spoke to me some weeks ago and I was surprised. I understand where he's coming from, though. He has other challenges, and I think he'll do fantastic at UEFA. I think he'll contribute to the game in general and have an influence on football. There's a good stability here. The foundations David's laid down... it's easy to carry on from that. There's a template we can follow and I think that's what Ed [Woodward] will do. The job is to support the manager and staff so we can maintain the success we have. I don't think that should change that much. We had a good relationship and I used to wind [David] up. We had a lot of arguments and I’d say, "You know what your problem is? You're an accountant!" But David was straight as a dice, it's always black and white. It's a great quality.

Cevno

Outside chance doesn't sound that good for Jones, but with SAF you can never be sure.

Forevergiggs

Can someone please post the excerpts from today's presser. The official website is not opening for me.

LR7

They're not up yet but I will when they are.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
SAF says RVP is ok for tomorrow!

gaz1185

@StuMathiesonMEN
Fergie says phil jones has battle on his hands to be fit for real madrid. Van persie ok for norwich tomorrow #fb mufc#

LR7

The news of Ryan Giggs signing a new one-year contract inevitably dominated the press conference this morning. Here are some of the main points:

* Ryan will be involved against Norwich and Real Madrid, says the boss. He and Paul Scholes will stay involved with the club after they retire like Nicky Butt, Brian McClair etc.

* The boss does not think anybody will match Ryan's achievements in the game.

* Despite some newspaper talk on Friday morning, Sir Alex hopes that any director's role at Old Trafford will be a 'long way off' for him as he continues managing the side and competing for trophies.

* Robin van Persie is fit for Saturday after overcoming his hip injury but Phil Jones is out. The England international has a 'fighting chance' of making Tuesday's Champions League tie.

“Phil Jones starts running today,” Sir Alex revealed. “He’s got a fight on his hands to be ready for Tueday (Real Madrid) but we’ll give him every chance. He won't be available for tomorrow (Norwich).

“We have no injury issues. Robin van Persie has trained this week - he's available for tomorrow. His hip was very tender but he's okay now.

“Tomorrow is an important one because Tuesday will look after itself. It's an occasion on Tuesday whereas tomorrow is the mundane practical situation in that we need to win.”

* Sir Alex insists the players are not even thinking about midweek yet. They have all been told to focus on getting the three points against the Canaries. (AM)

Status
Not open for further replies.