Protests following the killing of George Floyd

entropy

Is there any other gig where you get reported for misconduct 32 times but you still keep your job and take home more than 100k? All of them look like they peaked in high school.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus

Lower than dirt.

“As I was being arrested for my second day in a row during peaceful protests in support of Black Lives Matter, I decided to continue taking photos until the moment right before handcuffs were put on me. Very risky, but a necessary move to expose LAPD's entirely inexcusable use of aggressive force, especially in the moments before mass arrests of peaceful protestors.

As we were being boxed in on Broadway & 5th Street to be arrested, LAPD decided that a completely unarmed homeless man in a wheelchair that had NOTHING to do with our protest was somehow a threat. They proceeded to inappropriately shoot "non-lethal" rounds directly at his face, which is against the proper procedure for firing rubber bullets.

The last image is exceptionally heart-breaking for me as you can visibly see the homeless man writhing in pain, screaming, as he spews blood from his face moments after getting shot.

When people want to be apathetic or inactive in fighting against police brutality against black individuals, make them realize this trickles over & can affect them or someone they love too, regardless if they're black or not.

This is completely unacceptable. This injustice needs to be held accountable. Expose this.”

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Is there any other gig where you get reported for misconduct 32 times but you still keep your job and take home more than 100k? All of them look like they peaked in high school.
Are American police officers really on 100k?

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
It's surely no accident that they're choosing to shoot people's faces - a message is being sent out but, due to its violent nature, it will be ignored by demonstrators.

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal

By rights this should mean that the Army are going to put the Police Forces down to stop the violence?

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
https://www1.nyc.gov/site/nypd/careers/police-officers/po-benefits.page

Starting salary: $42,500
Salary after 5 ½ years: $85,292.
Including holiday pay, longevity pay, uniform allowance, night differential and overtime, police officers may potentially earn over $100,000 per year.

My guess would be lieutenants, captains, and chiefs make over 100K but also have far more service time. But making 100K in NYC is like making 50K in rural America.

Ludens the Red

‘Ignorant, deluded, imbecile, cnut.’ Yet I’m the disgusting one?
I didn't call you a cnut, I said it was impressive that you hadn't been called one.

It's time to move away from 'being polite' to people with views like yours. If you look through the thread similar approaches have been taken with those expressing these views. Some have even been banned.

And that last article. Goes back to my financial situation argument anyway. Many immigrants are able to get visas to work for NHS jobs at lower level pay grades. It’s how they get the visa. That is why there is a disproportionate amount of ethnic minorities in those types of roles compared to board level.
Missed the point here. The point is that there is a glass ceiling preventing non white British staff from getting these roles. That is clear and obvious by the figures. Regardless, still a daft point because there are plenty of Black and Asian British citizens in the NHS. The problem you have is that you are denying this glass ceiling exists because of course "there isn't much systematic racism" even though there are hundreds of articles, statistics and people within the NHS literally saying there's a problem.

As I said to simply blame systematic racism for all these problems is far to simplistic. But you won’t see my point as I can tell you’re one of those angry types who simply berates other posters who don’t agree with you.
Erm, no, that's not entirely what you said. What you initially did was say this
To simply blame skin colour for these issues is too simplistic
Which I think was your way of trying to appear impartial but by your next post, your real views were quickly established.

As for my second point. I can only speak of the UK but I really don’t think ethnic minorities are hindered because of their skin colour, more to do with their financial situation when growing up. I appreciate the counter argument will be ethnic minorities are poor due to their skin colour. But the reality for most ethnic minority people is they or their prior generations came from poorer countries. Their families would have had to start from the bottom and it’s not easy to get up that financial ladder. I would suggest that’s a systematic error of not helping the poorest in our society. This is not to say racism doesn’t exist in the UK, unfortunately that will be difficult to eradicate completely. But systematic racism? Not for me.
Please explain to me how 'financial situation' is relevant to refusing black and Asian people rental properties, denying them job roles and not promoting them to higher roles within the NHS.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

Including holiday pay, longevity pay, uniform allowance, night differential and overtime, police officers may potentially earn over $100,000 per year.

My guess would be lieutenants, captains, and chiefs make over 100K but also have far more service time.
100k is very low for NYC. I've heard of cops in So Cal making much more than that with OT.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes

My guess would be lieutenants, captains, and chiefs make over 100K but also have far more service time. But making 100K in NYC is like making 50K in rural America.
A lot of NYPD officers get poached by departments in Westchester County or Long Island willing to pay more in both base pay and overtime.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
WHITE COMPLICITY MATTERS
The Nazis by the Lake

Musa Okwonga’s message to white people following the murder of George Floyd ~

'But I do wonder: how much more do people need to see? Why was it necessary for me to go on television and give further context to a man being casually choked to death by a policeman’s knee? Why was it necessary for me to go on there and become so nervous I had not done the interview justice that I could not bring myself to watch it for almost two days? Why, for those two days, did I have to carry the burden of shame that I may have let down the black community, only feeling redeemed by the fact that an activist I greatly admire then shared my interview on social media? Why did I have the pressure of explaining oppression? Why, in order to make more white people care, do we black people have to make our deaths sound poetic?'

More:
https://bylinetimes.com/2020/06/05/white-complicity-matters-the-nazis-by-the-lake/

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Will the job changes you though? I don't think anyone joining the police are looking to brutalize people from the get go
Did it used to be or is it still the case that a fair number of recruits come from the military and I'm sure they are screened very effectively but perhaps the odd one who enjoys confrontation gets through. Then there are the inadequate ones who might normally be desk bound (I'm sure I noticed a fairly obese cop popping away with a bean bag gun on a vid) who is a bit unreliable.

Otherwise it is being encouraged by their President to get their yearly target practice completed on moving targets.

Ludens the Red

Will the job changes you though? I don't think anyone joining the police are looking to brutalize people from the get go
I think in America in particular that is exactly what is happening. Imagine knowing you can get a job with no qualifications, have little to no discipline, get relatively well paid, progress and get paid more, carry guns, drive cars fast, smash peoples doors in, get into fights and then on top of that never be held accountable when you feck up. Imagine the sorts that will appeal to. It's a sad but real consequence that a lot of men will join the police purely for the power. The only way you stop this is via a stricter recruitment policy.
Something that's happening in the UK. Dunno how many are aware but in the UK it is now compulsory to have a degree to be a police officer. You can join without one but you have to undergo studying for the first three years and attain a degree in policing. Now that's not going to solve all the problems at that recruitment stage but it will definitely weed out a significant amount of what I can only to describe as'wrong uns'. I can't see certain brutes and cowboys being happy to study and write essays in their time off work to become a police officer. Doubt America will ever adapt such a policy though.

entropy

Cops actually make a lot of money on the side. Consulting with private security firms, helping other PD’s as outside consultant or just helping firms recruit. Lot of them actually look to their NYPD gig as a safety net so that they can eventually transition to a better private gig.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Are there any broader calls for reform of the American policing infrastructure in the media, or are they just acting 'outraged' at isolated incidents?

Sad as it is, the fact it's an old white man that got slumped and left for dead will have more affect on the masses, but has that been the only incident that's crossed over, or are there more? I should guess the image above of the guy in the wheelchair will become iconic.

Is this stuff being broadcast and relayed into homes of the unwitting, or is it just those perusing social media that are getting a broader education on how rotten the system is?

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
WHITE COMPLICITY MATTERS
The Nazis by the Lake

Musa Okwonga’s message to white people following the murder of George Floyd ~

'But I do wonder: how much more do people need to see? Why was it necessary for me to go on television and give further context to a man being casually choked to death by a policeman’s knee? Why was it necessary for me to go on there and become so nervous I had not done the interview justice that I could not bring myself to watch it for almost two days? Why, for those two days, did I have to carry the burden of shame that I may have let down the black community, only feeling redeemed by the fact that an activist I greatly admire then shared my interview on social media? Why did I have the pressure of explaining oppression? Why, in order to make more white people care, do we black people have to make our deaths sound poetic?'

More:
https://bylinetimes.com/2020/06/05/white-complicity-matters-the-nazis-by-the-lake/
Reminds me of the incident recently where a black man in London was arrested during some ridiculous stop and search procedure and the fact he was a paramedic had to be emphasised because without that fact a lot of people would have just shrugged. We are still at the stage where black lives need to be humanised and validated.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male

iluvoursolskjær

Searching for life's white text in London
This is why the protests need to continue. If they stop now, it will be seen as a victory for Trump and his bullying/"domination" tactics.
Exactly. This momentum cannot stop, even in protests in our nations across Europe as it's the only way to force our leaders to come out and call this shit for what it is - the acts of a brutal dictator. Allies not willing to step on each others toes isn't an excuse when we are supposed to be the moral shining light of freedom and democracy.